• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4th Circuit Court agrees that gay marriage ban unconstitutional, again 2-1 ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fathead

North Carolina AG will stop defending their ban:

BtqOlRbIYAE3-h7.png

I moved to UT, ban lifted. I move to NC, and this happens.

Someone who wants to be gay married in a state where its illegal, I'm open to relocation bribes.

ivysaur12

Banned
Realistically, is there a chance the SCOTUS would actually rule in favour of the ban?

Very little chance. This is Kennedy's legacy, and he's stated as much in terms of where he'll eventually rule:

The San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus sang “Give ’Em Hope” for a revered and in some ways surprising guest who shared a California stage with them last month: Justice Anthony M. Kennedy.

Justice Kennedy was in San Francisco for an American Bar Association meeting, but he was also there to be celebrated by the men on the risers behind him. In remarks from the stage, San Francisco’s mayor, Edwin M. Lee, thanked the justice “for upholding the Constitution and justice for all” in his majority opinion in June in United States v. Windsor, a major gay rights victory.

“Freedom is always a work in progress,” Justice Kennedy said in his own remarks, making clear that there was more work to be done.

Justice Kennedy has emerged as the most important judicial champion of gay rights in the nation’s history, having written three landmark opinions on the subject, including this summer’s Windsor decision, which overturned a ban on federal benefits for married same-sex couples. Those rulings collectively represent a new chapter in the nation’s civil rights law, and they have cemented his legacy as a hero to the gay rights movement.

There is almost no chance that these bans will be upheld.

Wait so I can get married now (West Virginia here)?

Not unless the stay is lifted. They could roll both this and Kitchen into one case when they grant cert.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
^ That's odd. But I can't say I've listened to that song more than a few seconds.

Not unless the stay is lifted. They could roll both this and Kitchen into one case when they grant cert.
What does that mean? I see "stayed pending appeal" in previous cases.

HylianTom

Banned
Man the day the supreme court decision comes down is going to be awesome.

I'm already planning to be off of work for the latter half of that week.

But then the question becomes: spend the day in line at City Hall, waiting for a license.. or spend the day taking-in what are sure to be some incredible TV/internet reactions from both sides?

I think the draw to finally get hitched on that date of historical significance would be way too powerful.

Measley

Conservatives are probably viewing this as the end of the world. It must be pretty crazy to see the country change so rapidly in the span of under a decade.

LOCK

This hasn't made mainstream news or become widespread yet, my Facebook news feed is rather boring.

Wanted to thin the herd :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom