• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 Reasons To Buy An Xbox One X Instead of a PS4 Pro (Another Forbes Article)

thelastword

Banned
1. The Xbox One X Is The Most Powerful Console Available

When it comes to gaming consoles, everyone has an opinion, but this fact is simply indisputable: The Xbox One X is the most powerful gaming console there is, and the most powerful there ever has been.

That’s going to change with the next generation of consoles, but right now the Xbox One X is king. If you want to play games at true 4K, the Xbox One X is your only choice, with most PlayStation 4 Pro 4K games using technical wizardry to fake it. The Xbox One X is also equipped with an Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive, allowing you to watch 4K Blu-Rays, something the PS4 Pro lacks.

2. It’s The Only Console For Gears 5 And Halo Infinite

A big part of choosing which console to buy is personal preference over console exclusives. Do you like Uncharted and God Of War? Then PlayStation 4 is for you. Do you prefer Gears Of War and Halo? Go with the Xbox One. There’s no denying Sony’s dominance in the sheer number of exclusive titles, but if you’re into Halo or Gears, you’ll need an Xbox One–or a PC.

Microsoft has made the very bold choice of releasing all its future exclusives on PC as well as Xbox One. That can actually be an argument against buying an Xbox One since you can get a PS4 plus a PC and have your bases covered. But I look at it as a very cool move on Microsoft’s part—one of many ways that the company is doing right by gamers.

3. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Is A Great Deal

Speaking of great value for gamers, Xbox Game Pass is just amazing. It’s a monthly subscription service that is constantly adding new games you can download and play–kind of like Netflix, but for video games.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is even better: For just $15/month you get Game Pass and Microsoft Live With Gold, the service required to play online games. Microsoft gives away four games a month to Gold subscribers, so with an Ultimate subscription you get all the Game Pass games and all the Xbox Live With Gold games each month for less than paying for each service separately.

4. Backward Compatibility Is Awesome

Another cool thing that Microsoft has done with the Xbox One, that Sony hasn’t even really dipped its toes into, is backward compatibility. Microsoft has gone above and beyond in this regard, making a ton of older Xbox and Xbox 360 games compatible with the Xbox One.

The Xbox One X actually upscales some of these games—they’re labeled Xbox One X Enhanced–giving them improved graphics over the original release. It’s pretty amazing, especially if you have a large catalog of older games you’d like to bring with you.

5. Microsoft Has Acquired Some Excellent Studios

Over the past couple of years, Microsoft has gobbled up a bunch of independent studios—for better or worse. (Certainly “for better” when it comes to Xbox gamers.) These studios include RPG makers like Obsidian Entertainment, car-racing game studios like Playground Games and action game studios like Ninja Theory.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...xbox-one-x-instead-of-a-ps4-pro/#763ae72e7d06

-------------------------
I guess, that's how he feels, but I wonder if Forbes is actually looking for a certain set of contributors or writers right now...…?

Ten_Fold

Xbox one x is a good deal, but it depends on what you play, if you like more single player movie type of games, no place better than the ps4 pro, if you want to play your 360 games and the new gears/halo then Xbox is a no brainer. I don’t take sides I just pick whatever has the games I want to play.

Pejo

I feel like diehard Xbox fans have some sort of XBox bible that they keep in their pocket that has these exact same 5 points in it. The only one missing is "but look at how awesome Xbox Live is compared to PSN (did i mention it was hacked before?)" Nothing new or thought provoking about this article.

Vawn

Banned
It’s The Only Console For Gears 5 And Halo Infinite

Counter argument

Your move Xbox.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
1. The Xbox One X Is The Most Powerful Console Available

When it comes to gaming consoles, everyone has an opinion, but this fact is simply indisputable: The Xbox One X is the most powerful gaming console there is, and the most powerful there ever has been.

That’s going to change with the next generation of consoles, but right now the Xbox One X is king. If you want to play games at true 4K, the Xbox One X is your only choice, with most PlayStation 4 Pro 4K games using technical wizardry to fake it. The Xbox One X is also equipped with an Ultra HD Blu-Ray drive, allowing you to watch 4K Blu-Rays, something the PS4 Pro lacks.

2. It’s The Only Console For Gears 5 And Halo Infinite

A big part of choosing which console to buy is personal preference over console exclusives. Do you like Uncharted and God Of War? Then PlayStation 4 is for you. Do you prefer Gears Of War and Halo? Go with the Xbox One. There’s no denying Sony’s dominance in the sheer number of exclusive titles, but if you’re into Halo or Gears, you’ll need an Xbox One–or a PC.

Microsoft has made the very bold choice of releasing all its future exclusives on PC as well as Xbox One. That can actually be an argument against buying an Xbox One since you can get a PS4 plus a PC and have your bases covered. But I look at it as a very cool move on Microsoft’s part—one of many ways that the company is doing right by gamers.

3. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Is A Great Deal

Speaking of great value for gamers, Xbox Game Pass is just amazing. It’s a monthly subscription service that is constantly adding new games you can download and play–kind of like Netflix, but for video games.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is even better: For just $15/month you get Game Pass and Microsoft Live With Gold, the service required to play online games. Microsoft gives away four games a month to Gold subscribers, so with an Ultimate subscription you get all the Game Pass games and all the Xbox Live With Gold games each month for less than paying for each service separately.

4. Backward Compatibility Is Awesome

Another cool thing that Microsoft has done with the Xbox One, that Sony hasn’t even really dipped its toes into, is backward compatibility. Microsoft has gone above and beyond in this regard, making a ton of older Xbox and Xbox 360 games compatible with the Xbox One.

The Xbox One X actually upscales some of these games—they’re labeled Xbox One X Enhanced–giving them improved graphics over the original release. It’s pretty amazing, especially if you have a large catalog of older games you’d like to bring with you.

5. Microsoft Has Acquired Some Excellent Studios

Over the past couple of years, Microsoft has gobbled up a bunch of independent studios—for better or worse. (Certainly “for better” when it comes to Xbox gamers.) These studios include RPG makers like Obsidian Entertainment, car-racing game studios like Playground Games and action game studios like Ninja Theory.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...xbox-one-x-instead-of-a-ps4-pro/#763ae72e7d06

-------------------------
I guess, that's how he feels, but I wonder if Forbes is actually looking for a certain set of contributors or writers right now...…?
Wow... 🤔.

I still prefer ps4 and Switch. 😤

Justin9mm

Always been a bit biased and a Sony fanboy.. I love the PlayStation. Without knowing the official details, I'll be buying the PS5 on release. That being said, I actually own an X as well as the Pro. The X's pixel count and Gamepass is what really sold me on the One X. I've not had an Xbox before and I love GamePass and the idea of it considering Xbox will give you all new exclusives upon release. Some of the multiplat games do indeed look better and play better but unfortunately not the case with all games.

For me, it always comes down to the fact that Xbox does not have enough quality exclusive games imo to warrant me buying the Xbox over PlayStation if I can only have one.

The only main exclusive games I like on Xbox are Gears and Forza but not as much as all the exclusives Sony has been putting out and not enough to make Xbox my main console. Plus, I love my PSVR.

Did somebody hack TLW's account?

I'm honestly worried.
He's still twisting it because he physically cannot compliment anything about Xbox in any way. Look at the last line: "I guess, that's how he feels, but I wonder if Forbes is actually looking for a certain set of contributors or writers right now...…?"

Implying that Forbes are looking for pro-MS writers lol. He just looks for anything remotely positive about Xbox just so that he can complain about it.

My counter to that is they are also on pc. So that makes this a sexbox none x. I'm waiting for next gen to see if those studios bear succulent fruit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
as an xbox one x fan.

get a ps4.

play
god of war
last of us
tetris effect

then dump your ps4 and get the X

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's such a generic, boring list.

Actual reasons include:

1) Marginally better version of Nier: Automata, but that game is a fucking classic, so buy it, you fucking dumbass.
2) Best versions of Final Fantasy X and XII - even better than PC! Those games are more than a decade old, but fuck you.
3) Cool start-up
4) 4
5) You need it to have one to brag to your friends that you have all the systems, and their poor, stupid-asses don't.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This article before Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, and Ghost of Tsushima are out? Can I write for Forbes? Seriously, this guy should work in retail, not write articles (no offense to Xbox).

If these writers can write opinion pieces, why not just make one big article explaining all the great game(s) on ALL platforms.

It’s hard pushing someone to spend over $300 when the next gen is on its way. You could get either console for relatively cheap right now.

dorkimoe

I would have both. But refuse to pay that pro price that doesn’t include a 4K disc player. Overpriced for not having one inside

Kazza

I know people here will laugh, but I think the article is pretty good. The X is especially good if you're a person who has never owned an Xbox console before. Buy one, and you gain access to 3 generations of Xbox games, all upgraded and looking and playing better than ever before (and yes, that includes plenty of exclusives you can't play on Nintendo, Sony or PC). Plus it is generally the best way to play most third party games today.

AmuroChan

I agree with 1, 3, and 4. X1 is the most powerful console and I love that with GP I basically don't need to buy any games. As for #2, you can always play Gears and Halo on PC. For #5, it was necessary for MS to acquire more studios. However, other than Playground, none of the other studios they acquired were megatons imo.

molasar

Banned
I still find it ridiculous that Hotline Miami games are not ported to XBox consoles. They are almost on everything.

as an xbox one x fan.

get a ps4.

play
god of war
last of us
tetris effect

then dump your ps4 and get the X
Nah I'd just get a pc with superior graphics and the same games but better.. I never liked gears or halo. Was more of a quake and unreal tournament guy. And i cant play fortnite for shit. But that flight sim sequel? Hoooo boy.

Wow... 🤔.

I still prefer ps4 and Switch. 😤
Same here. No reason to buy Xbox. I play on ps4 (non pro, who needs that on 1080p TV), switch and home built pc. Don't like halo, don't like gears, don't have a forza love as I have gt. So really what am I missing out on. Good for halo gears forza fans but if you don't fit the bill yeah not worth it. Also I prefer single player games over multi-player games Everytime so Xbox never was appealing (well the OG one was but those games I played on pc anyway).

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nah I'd just get a pc with superior graphics and the same games but better.. I never liked gears or halo. Was more of a quake and unreal tournament guy. And i cant play fortnite for shit. But that flight sim sequel? Hoooo boy.
nah i own both you def need an xbox when you want all the games

thelastword

Banned
6) 4K Blu-ray player.
Has UHD Bluray made games better this gen? Did Crackdown 3 etc... use it for better sound, larger worlds, better loadtimes…? What was the impact on gaming this gen? I think last gen we got better sound, less compressed movies higher quality CG, less discs per package, there were advantages...….Please argue UHD bluray's importance from a gaming standpoint.....

These are strange arguments - but obviously some people make them - I mean, there it no lie detected, but if you weight the whole of each current gaming platform the xbox is the least interesting.

To me #5 is the weakest given what happened to Rare while Spencer was head of International Studios. We don't know what will come out of those, and what we have seen so far seems horrible to me (Ninja Theory's new MP only game and Battle toads look horrible).

I was kind of hoping something kind of surprising.
Please argue UHD bluray's importance from a gaming standpoint.....
It's about arguing for the console, so anything goes.

Example: I got the PS4 because I love the slanted design.
nah i own both you def need an xbox when you want all the games
He just meant the recent games that matter, and they are porting Halo: MCC to PC, so maybe there will be a couple more, or they will add a backward compatibility layer to windows.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Has UHD Bluray made games better this gen? Did Crackdown 3 etc... use it for better sound, larger worlds, better loadtimes…? What was the impact on gaming this gen? I think last gen we got better sound, less compressed movies higher quality CG, less discs per package, there were advantages...….Please argue UHD bluray's importance from a gaming standpoint.....
There isn't one, because the 4K blu-ray player in the Xbox One S or X is only used to play movies. We won't see any gains until at least next-gen, and even then it's just going to be that we have games that fit on a single disc again.

I think Soleil rouge Soleil rouge was trying to say that's it's a legitimate reason someone might choose an Xbox One X instead of the PS4 Pro (the title of the article), because standalone 4K UHD players are still a bit pricey and if you were going to buy one anyway then you might just pay a little more and get one that also plays Xbox games. I just looked, and the cheapest stand-alone player at Best Buy is $179.99. So another $100 on top of that and you've got a very capable game console.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
1. While I agree, being the most powerful console doesn't mean much if your first party titles aren't fully taking advantage of all that power. While Gears 5 is amazing, it's two months short of two years after X released where as with PS4 Pro, Horizon Zero Dawn took advantage of the console's power three months after it released is more impressive to me. Add in Uncharted The Lost Legacy, God of War, Spider Man and Days Gone and PS4 Pro becomes even more impressive. Sure, you have RDR 2 which is native 4K but had no/broken HDR at launch, AC Odyssey which looks amazing and Metro Exodus which I also believe is native 4K on X but all three look amazing as well on PS4 Pro so for me, I'll take the lower resolution of the multi-platform games in exchange for having the far superior first party games.

2. Gears 5 was an excellent 9.0/10 but the more I think about it, it's an 8.5/10 at best. Reason I rated it a 9.0/10 is because I enjoyed it more than Gears 4 (8.5/10) and wanted the series to stay at a 9.0/10 average overall with all five games. Still believe that Gears 2 is the series best and Gears Ultimate Edition second. As for Halo Infinite, I'll be playing it on Scarlett as my X will be long gone by then.

3. As someone who has had Game Pass Ultimate since E3 and will have it until September 2020, it's good but not great. First and foremost, outside of the first party games which can be hit or miss, majority of the games available for me personally are either crap, meh or no interest for me. When they add games (like DMC 5 or Metro Exodus for example) that are six months old or less, it's great value but I already beat them back at launch and have no issue paying $60 for each game. In fact, I prefer it over waiting to see if it does go on Game Pass because not every game I care about is going to. Had Game Pass from June 2018 to January 2019. In 15 months overall, I have played more Xbox 360 games (Gears trilogy, Darksiders 1 & 2) than I have Xbox One games (Mutant Year Zero and Gears 5).

My biggest complaint with Game Pass ties into #5 because outside of Playground Games, I simply see the majority of their future games as being AA titles developed in 2-3 years as opposed to being AAA blockbusters. AA games are good and I have enjoyed a bunch of them this gen (Vampyr, Darksiders III, GreedFall, The Surge and A Plague Tale) but it's not what im expecting from Microsoft who's the hardware manufacturer for Xbox. I expect the hardware manufacturers to give me the best of the best that their respective console can offer. I simply don't ever see that happening with Xbox. I see the first half of Xbox 360 as their best of the best and it's simply not coming back. Hope im wrong because that would be better for me but im not expecting that to ever happen.

While PlayStation 4 has PS Now, in no way, shape or form do I want to see Sony put their exclusives on it day one (downloadable or not) simply because I believe they would go in a quantity over quality direction. That's simply not what I want. I will always gladly pay $60 for a generation classic like God of War over paying $4 for Gears 5 on Game Pass Ultimate simply because not giving away the game for basically nothing tells me that it's not only great but worth the cost. Also, putting your exclusives on Game Pass day one (mainly the big three) simply devalues their worth and the IP itself which im not a fan of.

4. Backwards Compatibility is great and I was able to play some Xbox 360 games that I missed out on (Gears trilogy, Darksiders 1 and 2) but at the same time, it's not mandatory or necessary for me. If it's there, great but if not, meh. My only complaint with Backwards Compatibility is that outside of PlayStation 2, it's never ever FULL backwards compatibility because publishers have to approve the game being added to that list where as with PS2, you can insert a 1995 CD-Rom PS One game NOW and it still plays as it did back on release. So while great, I don't believe that it will ever be anywhere as great as it was back on PS2. Not even Sony will be able to accomplish this due to publishers having to approve their games being added.

5. While acquiring several studios is great, majority of them are simply AA studios and as far as I know are staying at the AA level as opposed to being elevated to AAA. Playground Games is simply the only AAA studio that they've acquired where as Ninja Theory, Obsidian, InXile, Double Fine, Undead Labs and Compulsion Games are AA studios. I see this as being due to Game Pass because they need content and will have to meet a quota which means majority of games will be developed in 2-3 years.

I have no problems with AA games but in my opinion, that's NOT going to help the Xbox brand especially when you see Sony basically blow away all those acquisitions in one single move with the acquisition of Insomniac. In my opinion, Ninja Theory, Obsidian and InXile should ALL be elevated to AAA status. Keeping them at the AA level is a massive disappointment for me personally.

Obviously, just have to wait and see how Scarlett starts and plays out over the long term. This gen is basically done and has been done for years. For me personally, I simply expect more from Microsoft and they haven't reached those expectations since the first half of Xbox 360. Hoping that changes with Scarlett but im not going to hold my breath.

Gears and Halo? What fucking year is this?

X7eDVMY.jpg

It's a major selling point for those of who are serious about both gaming and movie collecting. UHD > regular blu-ray.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Curious as someone who're replayed those games on PS4. What makes the Xbox version better?

I don't remember all the specifics, but I recall that FFX was supposed to be 4k on XboneX, and corrected some glitches.

XII was 60fps on Xbone X, and added a couple features that weren't available on PC. That was the one where people were complaining about the PS4 version not being patched to have equivalent functionality.

Top Bottom