• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 books. 50 movies. 2015. (Follow Format in OP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Ashes - 42/50 Books | 47/50 Films | 26/12 Seasons

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Really fell off the wagon with this challenge in terms of book reading and update posting.

Here's to doing better next year hopefully.

December for me has been the worst performing month of the bunch. Really feel like I've given up (even though I've finished). There's just no momentum.

lt519

Made it over 30 and 30. I'll probably finish somewhere in the 40s for movies and 35+ for books. Only like 2-3 TV series, and about 20 games.

I'll reach 10000 pages (per Amazon page count) in books which is infinitely more exciting for me and exceeds my challenge of 100 pages a week. I've read more this year than I have the past few years combined. Too many late nights though, I didn't want to sacrifice other hobbies so I just ended up sleeping less haha

O.DOGG

Books list updated. And done! 50 books down.

Man, that was a good challenge, I had a lot of fun reading all those books. I can honestly say this is the most I've read in my life. I intend to keep it up next year though most likely I won't be doing the challenge. I'm looking forward to reading some longer works and to rereading some old favorites.

I know there's some time left in the year, but perhaps we could all list our top 5 favorite books and movies consumed this year? Here's my list ...

Books
5. The Black Echo by Michael Connelly
4. The Feud by Thomas Berger
3. The Devil All the Time by Donal Ray Pollock
2. Stoner by John Williams
1. Sneaky People by Thomas Berger

Movies
5. Automata
4. Nightcrawler
3. Das Finstere Tal
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
1. Mad Max: Fury Road

Honorable mention books:
A Slant of Light
Summer of the Apocalypse
Provinces of Night

Honorable mention movies:
300: Rise of an Empire
Journey to the West
Iron Man 3

Congrats, man!

Woot!

Congrats.

Danke! :b

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I watched a ton of movies, and not enough books, so just gonna do movies.

Movies:

• 1 - Mad Max: Fury Road
  • 2 - Fruitvale Station
  • 3 - Nightcrawler
  • 4 - Captain Phillips
  • 5 - Kingsman: The Secret Service

Honorable Mentions:

Horrible Bosses 2
It Follows
Training Day
Birdman
The Theory of Everything

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm going to start putting together the next thread and will put it up Jan 1st. If someone could help me with a simple banner for the new thread, that would be great. Thanks.

Pau

Yeah, really don't think I'll be finishing movies this year. It's especially hard when my boyfriend want to watch along. :p

Good Lord, I failed the book side of this hard this year. Even worse than last year. In retrospect, more focus on books early in the year to get me started off and then movies later.

One more movie to go and I'm done with the challenge. Going to watch it as soon as these downloads are done so I can stream it on Netflix.

My Top 5 Books/Movies:

Books

1. The Season of Passage by Christopher Pike
2. Imajica by Clive Barker
3. Falling by Christopher Pike
4. The Shining by Stephen King
5. It by Stephen King

Movies

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
2. John Wick
3. Fruitvale Station
4. It Follows
5. The Guest

I just finished another movie which got me to 59 total. So I think I'll watch one more before the end of the year to get to a nice round 60. But I'll still chime in with my favorite movies.

In absolutely no particularly meaningful order.

Mad Max: Fury Road
Departures
Song of the Sea
The Big Lebowski
Love & Mercy

Honorable mentions would have to go to Inside Out, Redline, Chef, Ip Man and Interstellar.

I'd include my favorite books, but they're mostly psychology and theology texts of little interest to most of you.

Why the hell is The Da Vinci Code so damned long? 😩

Thank goodness for Tom Hanks hair and Audrey Tautou (she is so beautiful it almost hurts).

O.DOGG

Best books read this year:
  1. King Rat
  2. Blindsight
  3. The Peripheral
  4. Stoner
  5. Small Gods
I have to mention The Witcher series here here which is excellent, especially if you enjoyed the games.

And best movies:
  1. Whiplash
  2. Mad Max: Fury Road
  3. Sicario
  4. Beasts of No Nation
  5. Suspiria

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
With top lists going up I feel that I too have to contribute. With the current tally of 68 books and 158 movies I feel that the 10 best would be the most representative. With a pick for best of the best. I'll also count In Search of Lost Time as one entry instead of seven.

• As I Lay Dying (1930), William Faulkner
  • Bonjour Tristesse (1954), Françoise Sagan
  • Disturbing the Peace (1975), Richard Yates
  • Gone Girl (2014), Gillian Flynn
  • In Search of Time Lost (1913-1927), Marcel Proust
  • Jane Eyre (1847), Charlotte Brontë
  • The Martian (2011), Andy Weir
  • The Sound and the Fury (1929), William Faulkner
  • This Side of Paradise (1920), F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Winter of Our Discontent (1961), John Steinbeck

Best of the books:
As I Lay Dying - For it's incredible use of language or narrative design.

• 12 Years a Slave (2013, dir. Steve McQueen)
  • En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron (2014, dir. Roy Andersson)
  • Feast (2014, dir. Patrick Osborne)
  • Her (2013, dir. Spike Jonze)
  • Ida (2013, dir. Pawel Pawlikowski)
  • Человек с киноаппаратом [Man with a Camera] (1929, dir. Dziga Vertov)
  • The Martian (2015, dir. Ridley Scott)
    Prisoners (2013, dir. Denis Villeneuve)
  • Tonari no Totoro (1998, dir. Hayao Miyazaki)
  • Tree of Life (2011, dir. Terrence Malick)

Best of the movies:
Her - For it's sublime execution. Art direction, music, acting and the complete lack of unnecessary exposition makes this a modern classic.

Are there any alternatives to doing full lists in our original posts? I was originally wanting to track music releases I tried for the first time this year as well but ran out of room in the post. Even with the music removed I worry about cutting it close as I hit a lot of films before I stopped updating.

kinoki

Are there any alternatives to doing full lists in our original posts? I was originally wanting to track music releases I tried for the first time this year as well but ran out of room in the post. Even with the music removed I worry about cutting it close as I hit a lot of films before I stopped updating.

Do two posts?

Still a few to go, but I'll add my top list.

Books
1) NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman. Amazing that a Wired magazine writer would craft the definitive historical look at autism, while debunking myths of epidemics, vaccines, and outlook for autistics. A beautiful and hopeful look at neurodiversity, Silberman provides the most complete account to date of what it means to be on the spectrum. Brilliant.

2) City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett. I read predominantly fantasy and science fiction, and this was tops for me in the genres. Great characters, great pacing, a fascinating world where the gods lived in the flesh, and a murder mystery all wrapped into one tight story.

3) Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey.

Movies

1) People, Places, Things. A heartfelt, sincere look at love and family in the modern world. At times touching, at others hilarious.

2) Mad Max: Fury Road. This movie has no chill. None. Sparse story that leaves much to the imagination, but damn is there a lot of incredible stuff to imagine. The most complete cinematic "world" created this year.

3) Begin Again. Sublime music film from the director of Once. Certainly more mainstream than the predecessor, with all the benefits and trappings that come with a big budget and big stars. The music is so damn good.

Its so weird - even if the movie is good, after about 30 minutes or so I just get so bored (with the exception of Mad Max!). I want it to be over. I've found watching on the bus to and from work helps greatly to alleviate that though as I wouldn't be doing anything anyway but reading.

Mumei

Its so weird - even if the movie is good, after about 30 minutes or so I just get so bored (with the exception of Mad Max!). I want it to be over. I've found watching on the bus to and from work helps greatly to alleviate that though as I wouldn't be doing anything anyway but reading.

Do you have the same issue when you are in a movie theater?

Mumei

Oh yeah. With the exception of Mad Max, there's rarely a movie I see where I don't check the time about 1/3rd to half way in.

Hm. I have that issue if I try to watch a movie at home, but if I'm at the theater (and the movie doesn't suck) I don't get that way until around the 100 minute mark.

Piecake

Ive honestly gotten that way with TV shows as well. I can't even sit through a 45 minute show now, but for some reason I am perfectly fine reading for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom