• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50% Extra Credit on Trade-Ins at GameStop 9/23-25

PMS341

I'll be there on the first morning, hopefully before they drop

They drop via update overnight. When the register opens, prices are updated.

And then the associate spends the next hour or so stickering 200+ games by themselves while simultaneously attempting to open the store, but they have to sticker everything before open otherwise someone will grab a non-updated game and complain about the price.

Something like that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Splatoon was $25 yesterday. Today? $25. Doesn't seem like the lowering of value on everything applies

Splatoon is in demand. I wouldn't expect much of a drop of any. Now if there's a decent trade deal on a particular game you can bet people will trade it in in droves, thus driving the tiv down.

Generally Nintendo games fair the best. Something like Uncharted 4 will probably drop if it hasn't already, because there's gobs of used copies.

daveo42

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. I can finally trade in my copy of Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. Never got into that game. I wonder if they'd also take my Fallout 4 CE.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah but games are a bit better. For example UC4 is 20 at Best Buy but 17 at GS. Plus I have GCU so I'd like to put it towards an already discounted game.

Best Buy might give ok TIVs for a small handful of games. But when you really start checking...

Bayonetta 2 w/Bayonetta -$3
Super Mario 3D World - $1
Zelda Skyward Sword-$1
Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS - $1
The Last of Us Remastered - $1

I mean, they're awful unless it's the latest AAA release.

Best Buy might give ok TIVs for a small handful of games. But when you really start checking...

Bayonetta 2 w/Bayonetta -$3
Super Mario 3D World - $1
Zelda Skyward Sword-$1
Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS - $1
The Last of Us Remastered - $1

I mean, they're awful unless it's the latest AAA release.

At that point, though, I think the idea is to de-incentivize people from trading those games in. I'm sure there are massive quantities of all of those games available, both new and used, thus they have no desire for people to trade theirs in and add to the stockpile.

inner-G

Banned
They drop via update overnight. When the register opens, prices are updated.

And then the associate spends the next hour or so stickering 200+ games by themselves while simultaneously attempting to open the store, but they have to sticker everything before open otherwise someone will grab a non-updated game and complain about the price.

Something like that.
Most of the time. They drop prices during these deals also - I've definitely gotten more on the first morning of promos compared to if I had waited a day

woodypop

Hmm, I've been wanting to get a 2DS for a while. Maybe this would be a good time to trade in some games and finally get one?

I've got bad news for you. No more Amazon.

When was this change instated? I remember GameStop having Kindle gift cards, which you are able to accredit your Amazon account with.
They are of fixed values, but I was still able to use trade-in credit when purchasing one.

You can not buy eBay, Amazon, Gas gift cards and Visa cards with trade credit/gift cards. There was a recent register change a month or so ago.

Interesting...I guess they must've caught on to people taking their business elsewhere, rather than using the store credit to purchase from their inventory.

Well, I enjoyed the party and capitalized on the opportunity while it lasted. Ha ha.

When was this change instated? I remember GameStop having Kindle gift cards, which you are able to accredit your Amazon account with.
They are of fixed values, but I was still able to use trade-in credit when purchasing one.
You can not buy eBay, Amazon, Gas gift cards and Visa cards with trade credit/gift cards. There was a recent register change a month or so ago.

You can still buy clothing, fast food, itunes, google play, gaming currency with them though.

Yeah but games are a bit better. For example UC4 is 20 at Best Buy but 17 at GS. Plus I have GCU so I'd like to put it towards an already discounted game.

Dont forget the extra 10% trade in credit at Best Buy with GCU. So Uncharted would net you $22. Obviously, there is a bonus for Power Rewards Members at Gamestop too.

sensui-tomo

Dont forget the extra 10% trade in credit at Best Buy with GCU. So Uncharted would net you $22. Obviously, there is a bonus for Power Rewards Members at Gamestop too.

dont forget that trade ins at bb also give you those points towards the 250 for a $5 credit and to become an elite/elite plus member.

May have to try and see what games I don't need anymore to trade-in. Also should probably just put all my GS credit towards a PS4 Pro as opposed to buying it on Amazon.

hwy_61

Banned

You can still buy clothing, fast food, itunes, google play, gaming currency with them though.

Damn that sucks

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I was saving my GameStop gift cards from Bing, with intent on buying Amazon cards. Didn't see any Amazon cards on the rack, and upon asking the clerk, found out they no longer sell them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Best Buy is the absolute worst. They could offer 200% extra credit and it would still be shit.

best buy isn't too bad. i often see base TIV there higher than gamestop and amazon on newer games. gcu also nets you 10% bonus and they occasionally have x% bonuses on TIV. great if your primarily shop at best buy which is what most people with GCU do.

NWi2JdG.png

Solid. Thanks Gamestop!

trade in values usually drop the night before these kind of promos at gamestop and best buy, something to keep in mind. Essentially they cut it so you get maybe 10-20% more than what you would have without the promo.

RedAssedApe

Banned
are new ds4s out? would be a good time to flip your launch one for a new one if TIV is still $27 like when i did it a few months ago.

paying about $25 isn't too bad. especially if your sticks might worn out a bit. note that they'll give you less if your sticks are actually torn up heh

Too bad they are not offering this for consoles..really want to trade in my PS4 so I can buy the PS4 PRO but so far they are only offering 125 for it..would swap out my 2TB drive and put it in the PS4 PRO if it can fit

hwy_61

Banned
Too bad they are not offering this for consoles..really want to trade in my PS4 so I can buy the PS4 PRO but so far they are only offering 125 for it..would swap out my 2TB drive and put it in the PS4 PRO if it can fit

I can see them doing a trade up promo in October. Still got over a month to go, so don't lose hope!

ChrisD

Dang iiiiit, just traded in a Pikmin NPC last week. Could have made my copy of Dark Souls II free, rather than $4 out of pocket. >_>

Thanks for the heads-up!

I'd rather give my games away for free than trading them in to GameStop!

well then lmk whenever you prune the collection, I'll take free games

Well this sucks. I never did it but once for a Capture Card, but that was $125 in Amazon cards. Was super handy.. Guess there were too many GS > Amazon "flippers". :|

You're about 2-3 weeks late. You could've gotten it in cash to.

Totally missed out on that $200 cash trade-in because I couldn't locate the 500GB HDD that came with the system. No way I was going to trade in my system with a 2TB HDD, even for $200. Sure enough, I found it once the trade-in value plummeted to $100 after the PS4 Slim was prematurely revealed before its planned debut.
Thanks a lot, NeoGAF...lol

are new ds4s out? would be a good time to flip your launch one for a new one if TIV is still $27 like when i did it a few months ago.

paying about $25 isn't too bad. especially if your sticks might worn out a bit. note that they'll give you less if your sticks are actually torn up heh

Wonder what they'll give me for one that has Xbox One thumbsticks. Ha ha. Still rocking my launch console's controller, but I discarded the OEM thumbsticks when one began to tear within four months of using it.

Does GameStop even accept accessories that the owner has modified?

Josh378

Yeah, I got about 17 games I don't want and if you do the math, it's $230 for all of them tomorrow(going into PS4 Pro). But I'm wondering how much are they going to change tomorrow vs what I got today.

Huh I guess Steam as well. I just did that 2 weeks ago.

Considering trading in Tokyo Mirage Sessions. The dungeon I'm in is super irritating and I'm not sure when I'll have time to finish it. It's at $22 right now. We'll see tomorrow.

Jawmuncher

So an Xbox one original controller with this promo would trade in for 32 bucks? That's good. Will see if the current trade in of 22 goes down tomorrow. (Though gonna lock it in the app anyway)

sonto340

Yeah, I was about to say, the trade value of a few big games will probably bottom out today
Not probably. I've been keeping yk eyes on trade values for a while because I've been considering trading in my ps4 towards a pro, and it's already dropped by 60%

Top Bottom