• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50% Extra Credit on Trade-Ins at GameStop 9/23-25

Lemstar

Or you could just sell them on craigslist for significantly more.
why do people still shitpost like this

not every solution for offloading games (trading in at GS, trading in at BBY, trading in on Amazon, selling on eBay/Amazon, selling on CL, selling on GAF) is the right solution for every single game

odds are very good that for at least some games, trading in at GameStop this weekend will be the best option available, even accounting for the fact that GS credit is worth less than cash or BBY credit

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Or you could just sell them on craigslist for significantly more.
Not always. I've gotten much better value from GameStop trade ins in quite a few instances.

I got $200 credit for my Xbox One 500GB towards Xbox One S. After eBay fees, shipping hassles and that being more than offered on Craigslist GameStop was far and away the better deal.

Oh and something else about GameStop you don't pay sales tax on money that was put toward your item with credit. You only pay tax on the amount out of pocket

Just spoke with a manager and she said it looked fake. I can't see it on any of the official GameStop websites that I visit (mobile or desktop).

Don't know what to think.

Lemstar

Oh and something else about GameStop you don't pay sales tax on money that was put toward your item with credit. You only pay tax on the amount out of pocket
Only in certain states, unfortunately.

Just spoke with a manager and she said it looked fake. I can't see it on any of the official GameStop websites that I visit (mobile or desktop).

you should think that the manager you talked to is an idiot

Yeah, she's not an idiot and that kind of attitude belongs in middle school.

It's not advertised on their site and a lot of stores aren't informed of these things until the last minute.

You can't buy them with store credit anymore

Yup, I edited/deleted that part of my post. You are correct. My apologies.

That's a real bummer. =(

Well this sucks. I never did it but once for a Capture Card, but that was $125 in Amazon cards. Was super handy.. Guess there were too many GS > Amazon "flippers". :|
Because of this, they are running low on used games for the upcoming holiday season now that flippers aren't selling to them like before. Expect more trade promos because of this change.

Its not fake, I got an email last night as a PUR Pro member telling me with the same GIF in OP

Gamestop regularly runs 50% trade promos, your manager is weird

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah, she's not an idiot and that kind of attitude belongs in middle school.

It's not advertised on their site and a lot of stores aren't informed of these things until the last minute.

I can confirm its legit as well. i have a powerup rewards e-mail i received yesterday that references it (that i didn't read). So...yeah the calling the manager an idiot is probably a bit extreme. But yeah she is uninformed.

Najaf

Tempted to trade in Forza Horizon 2. It will likely come to GwG down the road and with Horizon 3 here, well...

I can see them doing a trade up promo in October. Still got over a month to go, so don't lose hope!

Yeah I have no problem waiting..hoping that they do the 200 promo again that would be GREAT! I know that I can sell it on amazon but I dont feel comfortable doing that, doing it in store would be much easier for me. I hope that the 2TB Samsung drive that I have currently in my PS4 will work for the PS4 PRO I assume it will

Josh378

Yeah I have no problem waiting..hoping that they do the 200 promo again that would be GREAT! I know that I can sell it on amazon but I dont feel comfortable doing that, doing it in store would be much easier for me. I hope that the 2TB Samsung drive that I have currently in my PS4 will work for the PS4 PRO I assume it will

Yea, that's my worry as well.

Weird that some people are posting some GameStop employees are claiming it's fake. I work at GameStop and just put up a bunch of signs for this promo. It's definitely happening

Kusagari

Most trade values still look the same to me right now.

Can't we just lock them in now and still use the value after the inevitable drop?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Weird that some people are posting some GameStop employees are claiming it's fake. I work at GameStop and just put up a bunch of signs for this promo. It's definitely happening

Yup. It's up on the site.
http://www.gamestop.com/trade
JqGTuef.jpg

Most prices seem to have not dropped. Couple of games trading in for how much I bought them for.

rj118

Checked the trade in value of several games and they seem to have held steady since yesterday! I screenshotted the most valuable ones with the trade estimate good through the end of the day.

Josh378

Checked the trade in value of several games and they seem to have held steady since yesterday! I screenshotted the most valuable ones with the trade estimate good through the end of the day.

Website is down...lol...changes be a-commin!!!!

Jawmuncher

The app held the $22 for a controller trade in. Saved it and will be going to the store soon. Just in case they try to lower it

For those saving values on your phone, I wouldnt expect anything to come from it. Employees will not budge and give you the promised value or they will not know how to do it. I've tried this around 7-8 different Gamestops in my area and it is always these same excuses.

Onaco

The app and website are listing Xbox One 500GBs as just $100. Is that with the trade-in? That seems like its normal price, but... it's GameStop...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The app and website are listing Xbox One 500GBs as just $100. Is that with the trade-in? That seems like its normal price, but... it's GameStop...

Normal. This special is games and accessories. Not systems. All prices you see on the app are normal. Add in the bonus yourself.

For those saving values on your phone, I wouldnt expect anything to come from it. Employees will not budge and give you the promised value or they will not know how to do it. I've tried this around 7-8 different Gamestops in my area and it is always these same excuses.

Save whatever value you like, but whatever the value is THAT DAY, is what the value is. That's what we have to work with.

Ibuki

Banned
Save whatever value you like, but whatever the value is THAT DAY, is what the value is. That's what we have to work with.

Not sure what the person you quoted is expecting? It says right there on the app the value is good for one day, and you can renew it. Was he trying to use an expired trade in value? The system is linked to these values, the employees aren't typing them in manually.

you dont need the original case or really anything besides the disc for full credit right? I got fire emblem radiant dawn for like 2 bucks at a garage sale. But was with some home made printed out cover and black case. It trades in for 33 dollars normally.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Not sure what the person you quoted is expecting? It says right there on the app the value is good for one day, and you can renew it. Was he trying to use an expired trade in value? The system is linked to these values, the employees aren't typing them in manually.

One has to be specific with customers in GS. It also says coupons can't be used with POSA, DLC, pre-orders before you actually buy the coupon, but people try anyway.

When it comes to people coming into GS, you have to break it down to a super simple level. That's not an insult. Just that you can't assume people know how things work.

Ibuki

Banned
One has to be specific with customers in GS. It also says coupons can't be used with POSA, DLC, pre-orders before you actually buy the coupon, but people try anyway.

When it comes to people coming into GS, you have to break it down to a super simple level. That's not an insult. Just that you can't assume people know how things work.

I know it all too well, worked there for about 3 years, ASM for the last year.

Now see the trade values drop by 50%+ the day before, thus making this irrelevant. Good ol Gamestop.
They are so sketchy it's not even funny. I finally stopped paying for the pro member last year because I really wasn't buying much from them so it was a waste. Also I had recently realized they screwed around with the trade values when they have these deals so it soured me big time when I found out. Surprisingly the few times I went there they didn't bug me to sign up. I went last weekend and they are trying to get me to sign back up saying that last year you saved x amount of dollars when you had the card. This year you would have saved ( something like 40% of x) and he's trying to convince me I'm buying at the same rate after I said I really don't buy there much anymore because the year isn't over. The year is 3/4 over and I haven't even reached half of my prior savings. It's not even close. I actually had to go 3 times this weekend to exchange what i bought and twice they rung me up for more than the sticker price.

I checked again this morning. Still offering $22 for Witcher 3 and $44 for Deus Ex. I'm saving the estimate in case they try to low ball me.

inner-G

Banned

That doesn't discount the fact that the app tells customers in plain text that the price is good. If they don't honor the apps advertised prices company-wide, someone should report it to BBB or something.

Josh378

I checked again this morning. Still offering $22 for Witcher 3 and $44 for Deus Ex. I'm saving the estimate in case they try to low ball me.

Yeah I got low-balled this morning at the GameStop vs the website. I showed them that their website had this for the trade amount and they told me that they couldn't make any changes based on what the website said on their internal system. I know it's not the cashiers fault but I just got screwed over for $100 worth of value in store vs based off the website. GameStop needs to be put on blast for this because now they're not even acknowledging their website prices in-store. I think I'm done with GameStop after I buy the PS Pro from them because this is getting to be ridiculous and Best Buy is offering me better for more. GameStop is just a scam site so beware everybody!

You are not understanding at all. Good example of what I was talking about is Mad Max for Xbox One.

TODAY, at 5AM Pacific Time I saved the value for $6 and now it is $5 when I checked the website. Ill be getting $7.50 instead of $9 no matter what. Saving on the app is useless and a waste of time. Many people will tell you the same.

So $44 for Deus Ex Mankind Divided?

I finally finished it last night. Might be time for a trip to Gamestop.

I bought it off of Amazon, so I will have essentially played a great game for $4 considering the Prime discount.

Edit: Apparently the pro member base trade in value for Deus Ex already accounts for the extra 10% at $27.50, but I only get 60% of the base value for non pro members. So instead of getting $44, they only offered me $40.

Am I mathing wrong, or did they nickle and dime me? Am I misunderstanding the promo?

ChrisD

So $44 for Deus Ex Mankind Divided?

I finally finished it last night. Might be time for a trip to Gamestop.

I bought it off of Amazon, so I will have essentially played a great game for $4 considering the Prime discount.

Edit: Apparently the pro member base trade in value for Deus Ex already accounts for the extra 10% at $27.50, but I only get 60% of the base value for non pro members. So instead of getting $44, they only offered me $40.

Am I mathing wrong, or did they nickle and dime me? Am I misunderstanding the promo?

The 60% phrasing they're using here is a bit of a trick that I expect many arguments to spawn from in stores over the weekend. In the past they've always said 50%, and Pro Members get 10% more.
The math they have (I think always?) used is base value + 50% of base + 10% of base (from Pro). It's two separate promos that don't stack, basically. $40 for a $25 title is correct, as it's $25 + $12.50 + $2.50.

Sorry for the bump and late reply, but I just wanted to say thanks again for the heads-up. Got $50 today trading some stuff that I was hanging onto in the case of another promo. Was actually tempted to list them on eBay or the B/S/T thread last week, but that would have only got me about $35 so I held out haha.

Edit: Ooooooh, didn't read the posts above you. They dropped the TIV in the systems. :/

Top Bottom