• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 GOP Officials Warn Donald Trump Would Put Nation’s Security ‘at Risk’

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/us/politics/national-security-gop-donald-trump.html?ref=politics

Fifty of the nation’s most senior Republican national security officials, many of them former top aides or cabinet members for President George W. Bush, have signed a letter declaring that Donald J. Trump “lacks the character, values and experience” to be president and “would put at risk our country’s national security and well-being.”

Mr. Trump, the officials warn, “would be the most reckless president in American history.”

The letter says Mr. Trump would weaken the United States’ moral authority and questions his knowledge of and belief in the Constitution. It says he has “demonstrated repeatedly that he has little understanding” of the nation’s “vital national interests, its complex diplomatic challenges, its indispensable alliances and the democratic values” on which American policy should be based. And it laments that “Mr. Trump has shown no interest in educating himself.”

“None of us will vote for Donald Trump,” the letter states, though it notes later that many Americans “have doubts about Hillary Clinton, as do many of us.”

Do dozens of party members often sign a letter declaring their party's nominee would be the most reckless president in history? What do you think?

I don't know. I wouldn't think so, but then again, I don't usually follow American politics.

It's why I asked.

DarkKyo

Amazing, Trump already unifying the divided nation

gZJhFEp.jpg

I'm really glad the word 'experience' is being used. I've seen way too many conservatives comment that he doesn't have the right 'demeanor' or 'temperament' to be president. While this is true, his lack of intelligence, education or relevant experience at any level are bigger issues.

DOWN

Banned
But are these like local government people or like big names? That will factor into whether people care about there being 50

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This will somehow get him more votes won't it

iammeiam

Best quote:
He is unable or unwilling to separate truth from falsehood. He does not encourage conflicting views. He lacks self-control and acts impetuously. He cannot tolerate personal criticism. He has alarmed our closest allies with his erratic behavior. All of these are dangerous qualities in an individual who aspires to be president and commander in chief, with command of the U.S. nuclear arsenal.

On the one hand, it's the establishment attacking the self-professed anti-establishment candidate and won't shift his supporters at all. On the other, a constant stream of this for the next three months is going to help keep him restricted to his existing base, which is nowhere near sufficient to elect him.

Plus there's always the chance for another Trump Twitter Tantrum, which is always a good time.

Iksenpets

Banned
But are these like local government people or like big names? That will factor into whether people care about there being 50

At least a few of them were cabinet-level in the Bush Administration. They're all national security types, so at the very least they're all national figures, though some may be fairly low ranking assistant deputy undersecretaries or whatever to get them to the 50 number.

I've been paying attention to the US politics since the 90's and this is the first time I've ever seen a disparaging letter like this about a party's nominee from some of its top figures. Good for them for not bending the knee like so many spineless Republicans.

besada

Banned
Multiple Homeland Security chiefs, their deputies, a whole host of national security personnel, as well as well known intelligence figures. These are basically the Republican security apparatus of the last several Presidencies.

What she really needs is Powell, Rice, and Kissinger to speak up.

Multiple Homeland Security chiefs, their deputies, a whole host of national security personnel, as well as well known intelligence figures. These are basically the Republican security apparatus of the last several Presidencies.

What she really needs is Powell, Rice, and Kissinger to speak up.

I know it wouldnt happen, but having the Senior Bush speak out against Trump would be amazing.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Is he getting security briefings? If so, very scary.

besada

Banned
I know it wouldnt happen, but having the Senior Bush speak out against Trump would be amazing.
It'd probably have more effect if Larry the Cable Guy spoke out. The people currently supporting Trump hate Bush Senior almost as much as Hillary. They are firmly convinced that this is a battle between globalists and Americans, and that most of the establishment Republicans are globalists. They're also white nativists, but they frame the discussion as globalists versus Americans, and Bush Senior is definitely a globalist for them.

I think Bernie needs to spend more time going at him. And Rand Paul and his dad. I'd like to see the other isolationists take a big shit on him. Much more likely to convince his base than stooges of the Trilateral Commission amd the Bilderberger Group.

It'd probably have more effect if Larry the Cable Guy spoke out. The people currently supporting Trump hate Bush Senior almost as much as Hillary. They are firmly convinced that this is a battle between globalists and Americans, and that most of the establishment Republicans are globalists. They're also white nativists, but they frame the discussion as globalists versus Americans, and Bush Senior is definitely a globalist for them.

I think Bernie needs to spend more time going at him. And Rand Paul and his dad. I'd like to see the other isolationists take a big shit on him. Much more likely to convince his base than stooges of the Trilateral Commission amd the Bilderberger Group.

I don't think it would convert the hardcore Trump supporters, but that's not who any of this is aimed at. The message is for all of the moderate conservative Republicans who are very reluctant in their support for Trump, but may currently be giving him a slight edge in support for one lingering reason (SCOTUS seats, etc.)

Hearing elder GOP statesmen like George H.W. Bush speak out against Trump might be the motivation they're looking for.

Much like the GOP foreign policy establishment starting to come out against Trump. Their words carry weight, but it won't matter to anyone screaming "I LOVE TRUMP". But it might be heard by moderates who are pretty alarmed at Trump's demeanor, stability, temperament, etc.

Quixzlizx

Considering some of the company Ron Paul keeps, I don't think he's particularly opposed to Trump, other than in a generic faux-libertarian Republican vs Republican party sort of way.

aeolist

Banned
the right-wing national security intelligentsia are more credible than the trump campaign but only by a hair

Hrm. Thats one way to look at it. If its a battle against globalism, then...hrm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom