• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 year. - 2013 Edition

wbsmcs

Watched about 15 movies this past week due to being on break...will be hard to keep that up once classes start again.

Joining in...Goal for me would be a 20/20

Empty

Well.....I guess I'm in.
Do these rules apply to this challenge: http://www.fiftyfifty.me/2011/12/rules-regulations.html ?

500+ pages counting as 2 books would be nice.

that's a good idea. i might use that rule as otherwise i'm just going to ignore longer books in favour of meeting a tough target which doesn't necessarily help me, especially as there's a few long books i'm planning on reading next year (the corrections, the powerbroker, a feast for crows and a dance with dragons).

choodi

Banned
choodi - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies​

I'm going to have to choose shorter books to what I normally read and move from TV shows to films a bit

I'm down. Like most GAFfers, I read only a few books a year, but I'll try and step it up this upcoming year. Looking forward to tracking lists of both in the coming year, as 2012 was a great year for film for me. Hoping next year is even better.

hoverboarder
50 Books:
1. Scott Pilgrim series - 5/5

50 Films:
1. Warm Bodies - 4.5/5
2. A Good Old Fashioned Orgy - 2/5
3. The Adventures of Tin Tin - 4/5
4. Craigslist Joe - 3.5/5
5. Paranormal Activity 3 - 2.5/5

Suairyu

Banned
Oh sweet. Intended to do this in my life anyway. Nice to see there's a GAF movement.

Suairyu - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies​

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies
  • Coming Soon

Gotchaye

I can do 100 books easy, but there's no way I'm meeting the movie goal unless I get to count every 4 episodes on Netflix.

Did 16 books last year, aiming for 30 this year.

So I'll do 50 movies, 30 books.

That's a lofty goal, we'll see how it goes.

I watched 504 films this year (and will add a few more in the coming days). I'll have 50 movies done in a month.

50 books.. man, I dunno. I probably can't do that unless I count audio books.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I watched 504 films this year (and will add a few more in the coming days). I'll have 50 movies done in a month.

Goddamn. I hope you document some of your thoughts about these films because you probably have a constant editorial column going on in your brain.

50 books.. man, I dunno. I probably can't do that unless I count audio books.

How do you keep count of how many movies you watch? Do you write down everytime you watch a movie?

I'd be down to try this - I need improvement all around though, so I'll be adding a couple categories (I hope that's ok):

SaltyDoughnut - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies | 0/24 TV Seasons | 0/24 Games​

TV Seasons-

Books-

Movies-

Games-

Double: 500+ page books | Xenoblade, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Persona 4, Ni No Kuni

wilsham

Neo Member
This is a great idea I will attempt it! a fantastic new years resolution.

The movies wont be a problem but I will need to fit in more reading time. hopefully we can get good recommendations from this thread for stuff to watch and read!

Wilsham - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

Suairyu

Banned
I'd be down to try this - I need improvement all around though, so I'll be adding a couple categories (I hope that's ok):

SaltyDoughnut - 0/35 TV Seasons | 0/25 Books | 0/35 Movies | 0/25 Games​
With the addition of 35 TV seasons, I can only presume you're a student or unemployed, because that shit is crazy.

Bonethug

I am getting in on this. I read way too few books in 2012 and have way too many unmatched movies on Blu-ray just taking up space.

Bonethug - 0/50 Books 0/50 Movies

How do you keep count of how many movies you watch? Do you write down everytime you watch a movie?

I do have a spreadsheet with everything I've seen with ratings and stuff, but I don't explicitly keep track of how many movies I watch in a year. Fortunately I also log stuff on rateyourmusic and you can easily see how many you've watched each year by looking at your chronological ratings.

I do have a spreadsheet with everything I've seen with ratings and stuff, but I don't explicitly keep track of how many movies I watch in a year. Fortunately I also log stuff on rateyourmusic and you can easily see how many you've watched each year by looking at your chronological ratings.

Fascinating, I should really do tha. I probably watch about 350, but I would love to get an actual count

Fascinating, I should really do tha. I probably watch about 350, but I would love to get an actual count

I use rym, icheckmovies, imdb and letterboxd to keep track (it's overkill, but whatever). I recommend rym because it also keeps track of stats like how many films from each decade you've watched and what you've rated them, your most watched actors and directors and genres, etc, I love that stuff. And the custom user charts are awesome. You can check out the highest rated Italian horror movies from 1962 or whatever you want.

I use rym, icheckmovies, imdb and letterboxd to keep track (it's overkill, but whatever). I recommend rym because it also keeps track of stats like how many films from each decade you've watched and what you've rated them, your most watched actors and directors and genres, etc, I love that stuff. And the custom user charts are awesome. You can check out the highest rated Italian horror movies from 1962 or whatever you want.
I'm sorry, rym?

KingFire

Banned
Holy Shit 50 books per year! That is like 4 books per month.

I wish I can do that, but with school and work, it is impossible for me.

Good luck guys.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Totally fucked it up last year but I got a Kindle for Christmas so we'll see how I do this time around.

Cindres - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

Started Game Of Thrones already a few days ago, but It's bloody long so it counts!

Garret

Lurked through last year's thread (actually, still this year's thread) and quite liked the idea. Think I'll give it a try. Movie-wise it won't be that difficult. Not being able to count rewatchs will make it harder, though. Regarding books, these past few years I've been busy with Law School, so it'll be a nice change of pace to go back to reading for pleasure.

Garret - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies​

Skytylz

Banned
I'll go for 50 new movies, I'm not going to be able to do 50 books with school and work so I'm gonna go for two a month. Finishing games has been a problem for me recently so I'm going for two a month here as well. Finally, lets go for a season of a TV show a month.

Skytylz - 0/24 Books | 0/50 Movies | 0/12 TV Seasons | 0/24 Games

Books:

Movies:

TV Seasons:

Games:

I don't have classes till the week after next, so I may try to knock a bunch of stuff out. Mainly a few movies, a book, and a game or two.

-Stranger-

OK I'll play

-Stranger- - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

I know the movie part will be easy, hopefully i can find some great books as well.

50/50? Doesn't sound that hard. I already watch a movie a day and try to read a book a week. I'm in.

Illithid Dude - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

i read about 30 books this year but i think i only saw about a dozen movies this year but yeah i'll give this a shot

books (0/50):

movies (0/50):

here goes nothing

DarkFlow

Banned
I failed badly at this last year. The book part is what kills me. That's just about a book a week and I don't tend to read a book that fast.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I tried to do the 50 books thing last year and it was too difficult.

Working full time and life in general means that to read 50 books in a year you have to sacrifice other things you may equally enjoy. It turns reading into a chore and saps a lot of the fun out.

I think 25 books in a year is pretty doable. So i'll aim for that.

perhaps OP should create a lower book count category?

daebo

Totally down for this. I even started a goodreads account because I have a 52 books challenge to myself. Might as well throw in 50 movies. That's 1 a week for each. I'll see if I can do it.

Daebo - 0/50 books | 0/50 movies+​

Kwixotik

I just finished The Hobbit and I'm ready to start reading something new. I'm kind of stuck between The Name of the Wind and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Anyone want to help me make the call?

Also I think I'll be on-board for the challenge, but I might do 25 or 30 books instead of 50.

Top Bottom