• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 year. - 2013 Edition

iirate

I'm totally in!

iirate - 4/50 Books | 25/50 Movies​

Books
  • The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
  • The Assassin's Apprentice
  • Royal Assassin
  • Assassin's Quest

Movies
  • North by Northwest
  • Silver Linings Playbook
  • Tiny Furniture
  • Drive
  • Crash(1996)
  • Indie Game: The Movie
  • The Making of South Park: 6 Days to Air
  • Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey
  • Craigslist Joe
  • Religulous
  • Waiting for "Superman"
  • Man on Wire
  • Justice League: Doom
  • Batman: Year One
  • Happy
  • Safety Not Guaranteed
  • The Good, the Bad, the Weird
  • Troll 2
  • The Hunger Games
  • Miami Connection
  • Forks Over Knives
  • Vegucated
  • All-Star Superman
  • Mulholland Drive

Kud Dukan

I just finished The Hobbit and I'm ready to start reading something new. I'm kind of stuck between The Name of the Wind and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Anyone want to help me make the call?

Also I think I'll be on-board for the challenge, but I might do 25 or 30 books instead of 50.

The Name of the Wind seems to have a lot of detractors here, but I really loved it. The sequel, while not quite up to the same level, is pretty good as well.

Kwixotik

The Name of the Wind seems to have a lot of detractors here, but I really loved it. The sequel, while not quite up to the same level, is pretty good as well.

I'm sure it's good, I'm just not sure if it's good enough to be worth my time. Everyone is saying the second book isn't very good and the author pointed out in a blog post I read that the second book is almost as many words long as the LOTR trilogy combined.

Will folks be upset if I shoot for the 25/25 club? I have a two and a half year old, full time job, and am moving this summer. Just being honest. I see the movies being harder to fit in than the books.

:edit: Nevermind, I'm going for the full 50/50...sky is the limit!

Tragicomedy - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies​

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies
  • Coming Soon

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Great thread. I read 21 books this year, not sure about movies. I'm in!

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Ah screw it I'm in. I never challenge myself. The movie part will be easy the book part not so much. I don't think I have read 50 books in my entire life. Will not get 50 books read but I will try to read as much as I can.

Movies 0/50
Books 0/50

Simplet

Do foreign language books and movies count double? I need to try to read/watch a lot of those to improve my languages, no way I can read/watch them as fast as French or even English stuff though.

border

50 books is pretty insane, for anyone that has a full-time job and anything resembling a social life. That's nearly 1 book per week. Assuming 350 pages per book, that's probably 50 pages a night for an entire year. Sounds reasonable on the face of it, but it's easy to fall behind. And assuming that you will want to read according to your own tastes, you may often end up with books that are longer the 350 pages. Or the book may be more textually dense and it takes longer to read pages. I like reading, but I don't really want to end up in a situation where I'm choosing what I read based around what I can read the fastest to meet an arbitrary goal rather than just reading stuff I actually want to read.

Seems like a challenge for bored married people or "forever alone" types. Still though, just trying to read as much as possible for a year would be pretty beneficial to anyone.

deleted

Update:
For people asking what the exact rules are: We used the ruleset from http://www.fiftyfifty.me/ last year and I'd like to use it next/this year too.
Feel free to adjust the rules for your personal challenges, but I will only update the 50/50 participants in the OP. It seems like only three people from the 2012 thread cracked the challenge and to keep it somewhat comparable, I'd like to keep the same format.

And last but not least: Important! Please make a new post each time you update your list, it keeps the updating process way easier for me :)

Some of the rules in the FAQ will make it a bit easier. You may count a book that has over 500 pages double and if you've already started a book or film, but have finished less than 25% you can count it for this year's challenge.

There's nothing in it about comics unfortunately. Can I count those?

deleted

Some of the rules in the FAQ will make it a bit easier. You may count a book that has over 500 pages double and if you've already started a book or film, but have finished less than 25% you can count it for this year's challenge.

There's nothing in it about comics unfortunately. Can I count those?

I'd say go for it, if you feel they should count... I read through #1-#100 Walking Dead Series this year and counted it as one book and counted The Dark Knight Returns as another. I wouldn't count a weekly/monthly series where you just read the newest edition though - as for everything in this challenge, apply your own Honor system.

Because of the christmas break I managed to finish two books this week, but sadly they won't count for this impossible task. In fact if I do manage to succeed either uni or work will have more than likely gone very wrong.

TriangleOfCorruption - 0/50 books | 0/50 movies

A quarter way through Lolita atm, so I should finish that on the 1st or 2nd.

Ashes

Banned
A big thank you to all the people who have used the standardised format in the op; it really does help the person making the updated lists.

Good luck.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Game on!

I was really close in 2012. Gotta make it in 2013. Either it will be easy because the twins will be here and I will read a lot of kids books, or impossible because the twins will be here and I will read nothing.

AndyD - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

ymmv

Banned
Fascinating, I should really do tha. I probably watch about 350, but I would love to get an actual count

icheckmovies.com will be your new refuge on the internet.

BTW I love the idea but there's no way I can manage to read 50 books in a year. Watching a movie takes only 1.5-2 hours, reading a 350-400 page book takes me 8-10 hours. I was glad to read 25 books this year. I don't think I could ever manage double that number.

Wiktor

I'm in. Sounds like a great way to bump up the ammount of books I read

AdrianWerner - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

I'm up for this. Watched more than 50 films in 2012, but I'll definitely need to up the number of books I read to make it to 50.

Bootaaay - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies+

Might read through the Discworld books again.

VegaNine

VegaNine - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies​

I might as well enter the "don't buy games" and "stop masturbating" threads, because I'll have no time left to do either.
/kidding

Don

I'll give it a go. I've been trying to increase my reading amount recently after going for years without even touching a book. Movies should be easy enough though.

Don - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies​

Chaser

I'm in! I haven't been reading as much as I'd like lately, so hopefully this provides a little motivation.

Chaser - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies​

Count me in! I don't read enough and this might encourage me to do more. As for the films, I'm going to plod through my boyfriends film collection. He has a load of movies I've never seen.

sammyCYBORG - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

mu cephei

I'm in. I need to watch more films. Also I only read 17 books this year so I'm somewhat doubtful I'll manage this.

mu cephei - 0/50 books | 0/50 films​

Nymerio

I think I'll start tracking the number of games I finish as well. If I had to guess I'd say Books > Movies > Games.

The Judge

Count me in! I have no idea how this is going to go, but that's the point, right? To find out.

The Judge - 0/50 books | 0/50 films

DMB4237

Neo Member
let's watch me fail miserably!! I already have a book lined up ready to start on the 1st.

DMB4237 - 0/50 books | 0/50 films

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
kinoki - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies
  • Coming Soon

Top Bottom