• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Must-See Movies in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wrote up this feature: 50 Must-See Movies in 2009

Here is the list:
My Bloody Valentine 3-D (Jan 16th)
Fanboys (Feb 6th)
Coraline (Feb 16th)
The International (Feb 16th)
Youth in Revolt (Feb 20th)
Watchmen (March 6th)
Sunshine Cleaning (March 13th)
A Perfect Getaway (March 13th)
Duplicity (March 20th)
I Love You, Man (March 20th)
Knowing (March 20th)
Monsters Vs. Aliens (March 27th)
Adventureland (March 27th)
Observe and Report (April 10th)
Crank 2: High Voltage (April 17th)
State Of Play (April 17th)
The Soloist (April 24th)
Fighting (April 24th)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (May 1st)
Star Trek (May 8th)
Bruno (May 15th)
The Brothers Bloom (May 15th)
Terminator Salvation (May 22nd)
Night at the Museum 2 (May 22nd)
Up (May 29th)
Land of the Lost (June 5th)
The Hangover (June 12th)
The Year One (June 19th)
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen (June 26th)
Public Enemies (July 1st)
Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince (July 17th)
The Taking of Pelham 123 (July 24th)
Funny People (July 31st)
Final Destination 4: Death Trip 3-D (Aug 21st)
Inglorious Basterds (Aug 28th)
Game (Sept 4th)
Daybreakers (Sept 11th)
The Informant (Sept 18th)
Surrogates (Sept 25th)
Toy Story 3-D (Oct 2nd)
Shutter Island (Oct 2nd)
Where The Wild Things Are (Oct 16th)
The Box (Nov 6th)
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Nov 6th)
A Christmas Carol (Nov 6th)
Sherlock Holmes (Nov 20th)
The Lovely Bones (Dec 11th)
Nine (Dec 11th)

My Top 3 out of those:

wildthingsare-fl-01.jpg

shutter.jpg

publicenemiesempire.jpg

What do you guys want to see?

DevelopmentArrested said:
My Bloody Valentine 3-D (Jan 16th)

What a way to kick off your list..

Yeah January always sucks :( Except Cloverfield.

and I know some people that have seen MBV 3-D and have said its fucking awesomely bad. Those exact words. There is a ton of 3-D gore, nudity, blood.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy Final Destination 4! Get the Oscar hype goin'.

80% of this list is poop. God I fucking hate Hollywood.

Kusagari said:
Where is 9?

I didn't think it looked that interesting. I'd like to see it though.

Dr. Strangelove said:
X-Men Origins? Transformers 2?

WAT.

Transformers 2 will be awesomely bad fun, I also have faith in Jackman that Origins will be decent.

Lambtron said:

The first 2 films were very fun, add in 3-D and it should be a good time. Plus, alot of the "Oscar" films we barely even know yet, that's why I didn't include some.

-Double_A said:
Pretty sure "50" and "must see movies" in a years time is an oxymoron

Eh, looking back I saw over 130 2008 films, and I could definitely recommend 50 of them. and 2008 wasn't even that good for movies.

I think this looks awesome:

The Box (Nov 6th)

thebox.jpg

Synopsis: A small wooden box arrives on the doorstep of a married couple, who open it and become instantly wealthy. Little do they realize that opening the box also kills someone they do not know.

That plot sounds cool, directed by Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko) plus Arcade Fire doing the entire score! It was supposed to come out this spring but got delayed til Nov. :( Maybe that is good news Oscar wise.

Ceres

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
Eh, looking back I saw over 130 2008 films, and I could definitely recommend 50 of them. and 2008 wasn't even that good for movies.

Must see and making a recommendation is hardly the same thing. Could My Bloody Valentine 3D be an interesting experience? Yes. Is it a must see in that I'll regret missing it? No fucking way.

Ceres said:
Must see and making a recommendation is hardly the same thing. Could My Bloody Valentine 3D be an interesting experience? Yes. Is it a must see in that I'll regret missing it? No fucking way.

If you don't see the 3D experience that is reportedly very well done and that you can only get in theaters, then wouldn't you regret missing it?

Decado

DanielPlainview said:
I didn't think it looked that interesting. I'd like to see it though.
It isn't on the list while the likes of Night of the Museum 2 is....

Still, thanks for the list. Doesn't look like 2009 will be a complete failure.

FoneBone

DanielPlainview said:
I think this looks awesome:

The Box (Nov 6th)

thebox.jpg

Synopsis: A small wooden box arrives on the doorstep of a married couple, who open it and become instantly wealthy. Little do they realize that opening the box also kills someone they do not know.

That plot sounds cool, directed by Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko) plus Arcade Fire doing the entire score! It was supposed to come out this spring but got delayed til Nov. :( Maybe that is good news Oscar wise.
Script is awful IMO.

Decado said:
It isn't on the list while the likes of Night of the Museum 2 is....

Still, thanks for the list. Doesn't look like 2009 will be a complete failure.

After the trailer for Night of the Museum 2 was surprisingly funny I'd actually rather watch that. I still will check out 9, and there were some other films I missed like Ricky Gervais's directorial debut.

Lambtron said:

and it's directed by David R. Ellis who dd Snakes on a Plane. I'm confident he knows what audiences want.

Blader

Here's what I'm interested in:

Fanboys (Feb 6th)
The International (Feb 16th)
Watchmen (March 6th)
The Soloist (April 24th)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (May 1st)
Bruno (May 15th)
Terminator Salvation (May 22nd)
Up (May 29th)
Land of the Lost (June 5th)
The Year One (June 19th)
Public Enemies (July 1st)
The Taking of Pelham 123 (July 24th)
Inglorious Basterds (Aug 28th)
Shutter Island (Oct 2nd)
Sherlock Holmes (Nov 20th)

YYZ

NimbusD said:
crank2.jpg

OK, does anyone else think this picture is hillariously out of context? Gave me a good laugh
so perfectly sums up what I've heard of the plotline from people who have seen the leaked trailer :lol

GCX

Angels_and_demons.jpg

While I didn't like Da Vinci Code too much, I think Angels & Demons should be on the list (especially when there's stuff like Night at the Museum 2 etc already). Ron Howard has directed some great movies and I've always thought Angels & Demons as a whole is the best of Dan Brown's books. Could be a decent summer flick.

dmshaposv

GCX said:
Angels_and_demons.jpg

While I didn't like Da Vinci Code too much, I think Angels & Demons should be on the list (especially when there's stuff like Night at the Museum 2 etc already). Ron Howard has directed some great movies and I've always thought Angels & Demons as a whole is the best of Dan Brown's books. Could be a decent summer flick.

The plot is more nonsensical than the Da Vinci Code, and Tom Hanks as Langdon is HORRIBLE casting.

I don't have any reason to believe this will be any better than da vinci code, the superior book. But yeah, I'd rather watch this then some of the crap on that list.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
some really interesting stuff i didn't know about in there. you put a lot of work into this!

thanks man. really nice read.

dmshaposv said:
The plot is more nonsensical than the Da Vinci Code, and Tom Hanks as Langdon is HORRIBLE casting.

I don't have any reason to believe this will be any better than da vinci code, the superior book. But yeah, I'd rather watch this then some of the crap on that list.
personally i think Da Vinci code is the worst of all his books

pringles

I have so many "must-see" movies of 2008 yet to watch that I can't even begin to think about what 2009 is going to bring.
That said, there are two movies on that list that makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.
Watchmen and Avatar. I hope the latter makes it out this year.

Solo

1. NO ONE should be anticipating Fanboys. It was completed like over 3 years ago and delayed until now. Obviously its going to be awful. Even my Kristen Bell love wont get me in theatres to see this trainwreck.

2. Shutter Island may, or may not, depending on what you read, be called Ashecliffe now. Whatever its name is, its my most anticipated of 2009.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
if the brothers bloom is as good as brick (early word is that it is) i will slip into convulsions of nerd bliss. after i saw zodiac i wanted mark ruffalo to be in everything, and teaming him up with rian johnson--undoubtedly my favorite new director from the past few years--is peanut butter-meets-chocolate all over again

Solo

I agree with you on many things, good sir, but not Brick. NEVER Brick. God I hated that movie with a passion. So if the measuring stick for Brothers Bloom is "as good as Brick", then Ill take a pass.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, i remember we've disagreed about it before in the context of a "best of 2006" discussion. which, technically, it only got wide release in 2006, but i still put it as my best of that year, as it's when i saw the film and when most people had an opportunity to see it in theaters.

i think it's a better movie than the departed. it's certainly more creative and braver.

(i think this was pretty much how the discussion went last time :lol )

JzeroT1437 said:
Probably most excited about The Soloist out of all those.

i'm usually not into these overly sentimental kinds of movies, but in the trailer when r.d.j. says, "we look out for each other." pause. "i'm his friend."

that really just works so well that it sells me on the movie. i'm there for that one.

Solo

beelzebozo said:
yeah, i remember we've disagreed about it before in the context of a "best of 2006" discussion. which, technically, it only got wide release in 2006, but i still put it as my best of that year, as it's when i saw the film and when most people had an opportunity to see it in theaters.

i think it's a better movie than the departed. it's certainly more creative and braver.

(i think this was pretty much how the discussion went last time :lol )

I wont argue about it being more creative or bold than The Departed. It is. I dont think its a better film though. Hell, The Departed isnt even the best film of 2006 for me though - Children of Men holds that title still.

Dont get me wrong, there are maaaaany far worse films than Brick. I just think, as I did in 2005, that its a great concept marred by terrible execution.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i need to rewatch children of men. i've scoped it twice, and i dug it quite a lot. i would have ended it fifteen seconds before the director chose to, but that's a minor nitpick on an otherwise solid film.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
land-of-the-lost-film-still-01.jpg

Looks like a bad job of superimposing the actors over a scene from The Mummy.

::edit::
From the Final Destination 4 description -
TFA said:
Why You Should See It: Like this year’s My Bloody Valentine 3-D this is bound to be fun. Director David R. Ellis proves he knows what audiences want with Snakes on a Plane.
Snakes on a Plane didn't have ANYTHING that people wanted except a funny name and internet hype that died out months before the movie actually came out.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
david r. ellis directed final destination TWO, which was really the best one. reason enough to look forward to this new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom