• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 MS Points and Gamepictures for GTA4 X Box 360 Preorder

acm2000

preordered mine when GAME started this promo couple weeks back, the game will probably disappoint and be identical to the others, which is a bad thing, but its guaranteed to have a fuckton of content, so will keep me occupied for a while

How in the hell could this offer possibly be spun negatively? Geez, choose your battles, system warriors. There is nothing to get worked up over here.

pr0cs

Felix Lighter said:
How in the hell could this offer possibly be spun negatively? Geez, choose your battles system warriors. There is nothing to get worked up over here.
They had to send someone to fall on the sword.

Aurora

GarthVaderUK said:
I find Game (and Gameplay) to be very reliable at getting games on my doorstep on the morning of release. Amazon though, not so much.
Reading the PR there, it doesn't mention it being an online only thing. Best thing to do is give your local store a phone, or maybe a Game employee here on GAF could help...
You'd think so, especially considering I live in central London, but I've gotten screwed over everytime so I can't risk it.
I'll get in touch with my local store and find out, cheers.

Felix Lighter said:
How in the hell could this offer possibly be spun negatively? Geez, choose your battles, system warriors. There is nothing to get worked up over here.

You ever see that movie 28 Days Later? It was about these zombies, but it wasn't the slow kind? They were like rabid and super-fast? I think some mag-lock got jimmied and there's just a wild pack loose on every single 360-related thread, and most of the sane people have already been ripped apart.

Well I pre-ordered mine from Game for £39.99;

- Double-reward points on my Game card (£2)
- 500 MS points (£5)
- 11% quidco (£4.40)
- Gamerpics lulz (infinite+1 lulz)

Yeah, I like my pre-order. :D

PhatSaqs

Banned
Never change GAF

18468524_240x240_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

Dizzy

Banned
Damn, ordered this at the weekend but back then it was only advertised on Gamestation and only for the special edition.

Can't access my email inbox either to check/cancel the order. Ah well it seems to be the same price everywhere so I guess it's alright for now.

fatty

I have no interest in GTAIV but can still appreciate the bonus being offered to a game most will purchase day 1 anyway. To those of you coming in to complain about this FREE GIFT, you need to take a step back and examine what you've become. Are you really trying to go there?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
GenericPseudonym said:
How well do you think GTA4 with 360 marketing + this +360 price cut is going to help MS in Europe?

We won't know. People will come in saying the PS3 is still killing the 360, when it could be very close. Without confirmed numbers, all we get is the stupid rants.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
squatingyeti said:
We won't know. People will come in saying the PS3 is still killing the 360, when it could be very close. Without confirmed numbers, all we get is the stupid rants.
... and the stupid rants are the reason why I love GAF... :D

Aurora

sionyboy said:
Well I pre-ordered mine from Game for £39.99;

- Double-reward points on my Game card (£2)
- 500 MS points (£5)
- 11% quidco (£4.40)
- Gamerpics lulz (infinite+1 lulz)

Yeah, I like my pre-order. :D
Hey sionyboy, would you care explaining this quidco thing to me please?

_leech_ said:
The PS3 version doesn't have mulitplayer now?
So I have been sleeping under a rock. Is this PS3 exclusive? Really?

TheExodu5

Banned
Skilotonn said:
You've got to be kidding me.

Can you even read? And believe me, I tried my best to say this in the "nicest" way possible...

To top it off, it looks like your scent brought in a few more like you as well...

Free 500 points for the DLC, free gamerpic, GTAIV guaranteed, and you STILL got people trying to be snide about it...

Never change guys, really.

I realize it's still a fine deal since you're getting the 500 points. I'm just ridiculing the fact that they're using Gamerpics as an incentive, as if Gamerpics should hold any value whatsoever. It pisses me off that Microsoft is allowed to charge for things like these.

Maybe I missed something in the thread, but is this offer going to be valid for American retailers as well or don't we know yet?

Piper Az

TheExodu5 said:
I realize it's still a fine deal since you're getting the 500 points. I'm just ridiculing the fact that they're using Gamerpics as an incentive, as if Gamerpics should hold any value whatsoever. It pisses me off that Microsoft is allowed to charge for things like these.

:lol Time to go outside and get some life for change.

There are plenty of free gamerpics available, so stop whining like a little wuss.

Aurora said:
So I have been sleeping under a rock. Is this PS3 exclusive? Really?

No. You're confused, you should re-read my original post.

_leech_ said:
If it included a year of Gold instead of 500 points then that would get me to switch my pre-order. Right now it's the online portion that's keeping me on the PS3 side of GTA.

For some reason you thought I was talking about DLC when I obviously meant multiplayer (unless the DLC is multiplayer-only and Silver users won't have access to it?).

Aurora said:
Hey sionyboy, would you care explaining this quidco thing to me please?

Check www.quidco.com for a more thorough explanation, but I'll try my best to put it in basic terms.

You sign up for a quidco account, then when you go shopping on the internet you go to quidco, sign in and then follow their links to the stores you want to go to. You then get a certain percentage of how much you spend as cashback through quidco.

Think of it as if you are getting the advertising revenue that places like Yahoo/Google would get if you were clicking a link on their website. There is a fee to pay, the first £5 of money you make, but after that £5 the rest is yours to keep. If you don't make at least £5 back then don't worry, there is no charge.

There are loads of stores that are signed up to the scheme, they all differ in terms of what they offer back to you as a percentage. Example, Game.co.uk offer 11% on software, 3% on hardware, play.com is 4% across the board I think. If you are getting insurance, a new mobile phone, package holiday, changing gas/electric provider then its a must. I recently changed over to Three on one of their £15 monthly tariffs and got £32.50 back through quidco. If I'd gone for the £20 tariff I'd have got £65 instead.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
TheExodu5 said:

Ridiculing free stuff? There's plenty of free pics available on Live in case you never knew...

And looking past everything else in the package, it's that that you're criticizing?

That's like winning money, and being pissed that the bag it came in was red - it's a silly criticism...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I wonder how many fewer posts we would have on GAF if GTAIV was no different on one console versus the other (DLC included). It seems both sides can't resist mixing it up over this.

DenogginizerOS said:
I wonder how many fewer posts we would have on GAF if GTAIV was no different on one console versus the other (DLC included). It seems both sides can't resist mixing it up over this.

I don't know. I don't think it would decrease the garbage. It would just change the topic. Instead of DLC arguments it would be about slight differences only the most dedicated would possibly notice. The game is huge and even smaller multiplatform games with minuscule differences spawn hundreds of posts of system wars nonsense. If it's not one thing it's another.

Aurora

_leech_ said:
No. You're confused, you should re-read my original post.

For some reason you thought I was talking about DLC when I obviously meant multiplayer (unless the DLC is multiplayer-only and Silver users won't have access to it?).
I'm still confused. Is the multiplayer available for both the 360 and PS3? If so then I don't understand how the PS3 has any advantage apart from the fact PSN is free.

sionyboy said:
Check www.quidco.com for a more thorough explanation, but I'll try my best to put it in basic terms.

You sign up for a quidco account, then when you go shopping on the internet you go to quidco, sign in and then follow their links to the stores you want to go to. You then get a certain percentage of how much you spend as cashback through quidco.

Think of it as if you are getting the advertising revenue that places like Yahoo/Google would get if you were clicking a link on their website. There is a fee to pay, the first £5 of money you make, but after that £5 the rest is yours to keep. If you don't make at least £5 back then don't worry, there is no charge.

There are loads of stores that are signed up to the scheme, they all differ in terms of what they offer back to you as a percentage. Example, Game.co.uk offer 11% on software, 3% on hardware, play.com is 4% across the board I think. If you are getting insurance, a new mobile phone, package holiday, changing gas/electric provider then its a must. I recently changed over to Three on one of their £15 monthly tariffs and got £32.50 back through quidco. If I'd gone for the £20 tariff I'd have got £65 instead.
Many thanks for that, I'll sign up right away!

Such a shame I only found out about this now, I've spent hundreds online over the past year. :(

Aurora said:
I'm still confused. Is the multiplayer available for both the 360 and PS3? If so then I don't understand how the PS3 has any advantage apart from the fact PSN is free.

He only has a silver account. It tips the scales for him personally.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
TheExodu5 said:
Oh wow...a gamerpic! SO GENEROUS! Good thing I can save $2 on a friggin avatar!

NeoGAF needs to start charging for users changing their avatars. MS has this right.
While charging for avatars is eight shades of stupid, there's more to the deal than that. Learn to read while you're on break.

Prine said:
Through SDF glasses they see
You too, smartass.

Felix Lighter said:
I don't know. I don't think it would decrease the garbage. It would just change the topic. Instead of DLC arguments it would be about slight differences only the most dedicated would possibly notice. The game is huge and even smaller multiplatform games with minuscule differences spawn hundreds of posts of system wars nonsense. If it's not one thing it's another.

That's really not it. The thing that gets under most people's skin these days is the increasing evidence that MS is going to severely leverage this game and use it to carry the 360 to healthy quarter and thus potentially survive the MGS onslaught intact and maybe even gain some ground in the EU.

It's like, you ever see that movie Alien? It's about this space crew (and really cleverly they're made out to be basically just Truckers In Space) and they're knocked off one by one by this one alien who's basically an unstoppable killing machine. Anyway, there's this one bit where one of the dudes is in this vent and his buddies are watching his position on this radar thing and they (and consequently the viewer) can see this superfast blip approaching him and the dude has like no idea he's about to be food. It's SUPER tense.

Anyway, for some people this is like watching that really fast blip, and making noise is like trying to warn the dude in the vent, for some reason.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
GarthVaderUK said:
Indeed, I've ordered it with them for £32.49 (£5 off voucher code from last year, plus £2.50 in reward points). Nice!

I wish I'd had the foresight to use the £5 code for this.

I did use the 'feboffer' one though so with a few reward points I'll probably get it close to the £30 mark :D

FoeHammer

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's really not it. The thing that gets under most people's skin these days is the increasing evidence that MS is going to severely leverage this game and use it to carry the 360 to healthy quarter and thus potentially survive the MGS onslaught intact and maybe even gain some ground in the EU.

It's like, you ever see that movie Alien? It's about this space crew (and really cleverly they're made out to be basically just Truckers In Space) and they're knocked off one by one by this one alien who's basically an unstoppable killing machine. Anyway, there's this one bit where one of the dudes is in this vent and his buddies are watching his position on this radar thing and they (and consequently the viewer) can see this superfast blip approaching him and the dude has like no idea he's about to be food. It's SUPER tense.

Anyway, for some people this is like watching that really fast blip, and making noise is like trying to warn the dude in the vent, for some reason.

Jesus Christ, they ought to put your tongue in a circus.

*Shamefully stolen from Cinderella Man*

FoeHammer said:
Jesus Christ, they ought to put your tongue in a circus.

*Shamefully stolen from Cinderella Man*

Is that good or bad?

I'm guessing most of you probably do know about the film Alien, so maybe that was a bit redundant...

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Including free Psychonauts gamerpics, which are the most important gamerpics ever.

Don't forget the lovely new Drillbit Taylor pics, including the three kid protagonists who no one has ever seen in their lives.

FoeHammer said:
No, it was great. That was a bravo quote.

I should watch that movie. I need a leg up on my Giamatti before John Adams.

Aurora said:

Well, yea, that's the advantage. Goes back to my original point that I would gladly change my pre-order to the 360 version if they included a year of Gold instead of the 500 points (and if it was available in NA :p). It's a great pre-order deal for people who've already made up their minds or are single-console owners, but it would do little to make me switch seeing as i'm Silver.

BenjaminBirdie said:

I can definitely say, I've never thought of it like that.

Do these movie references pop into your head or do you think of a movie and challenge yourself to come up with a reference that is appropriate for the topic.

The earlier reference I got right away. This one I'm struggling with. The fast moving blips are who/what? Who does the doomed space trucker represent? Whose yelling?

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:
Damn it . . . the UK has a similar deal at one of the retailers . . . OFFER IT IN THE USA!
I'd be very surprised if they don't offer this, or something like it, in NA. MS is going to push this game hard.

speculawyer said:
Damn it . . . the UK has a similar deal at one of the retailers . . . OFFER IT IN THE USA!
I've seen this sort of offer on a few 360 games in the UK lately. Wouldn't be surprised if it makes it over the pond.

Felix Lighter said:
I can definitely say, I've never thought of it like that.

Do these movie references pop into your head or do you think of a movie and challenge yourself to come up with a reference that is appropriate for the topic.

The earlier reference I got right away. This one I'm struggling with. The fast moving blips are who/what? Who does the doomed space trucker represent? Whose yelling?

It's only one of the most famous scenes in the movie! Tom "If You See A Ghost Then" Skerritt is looking for the Alien (maybe? I forget...) in the vents throughout the ship and the Alien is closing in on him and the rest of the crew is watching the radar in another part of the ship. His blip is stationary and the Aliens is like RACING towards him and they're all like "DUDE! WTF!" but Skerritt can't hear them of course. And then, oh this is the best part, EVEN THOUGH YOU KNOW THE ALIEN IS THERE, because the movie just spent two minutes telling you explicitly the whole time where the Alien was, when Skerritt turns around and shines his flashlight on it, YOU STILL JUMP even though nothing jumped out at you or surprised you.

IT'S JUST THAT SCARY.

Man, that movie was so much better than every other shitty movie it spawned.

I'm not really sure who represents what, but it seemed like a fitting touchstone.

Aurora

Felix Lighter said:
He only has a silver account. It tips the scales for him personally.
_leech_ said:
Well, yea, that's the advantage. Goes back to my original point that I would gladly change my pre-order to the 360 version if they included a year of Gold instead of the 500 points (and if it was available in NA :p). It's a great pre-order deal for people who've already made up their minds or are single-console owners, but it would do little to make me switch seeing as i'm Silver.
Ohhh right, terrible reading comprehension on my part.

Why don't you get Gold though leech? Is this your protest against the injustice of having to pay?

DarkJC

Aurora said:

It's possible that either:

A) He only has a silver account, and doesn't feel like paying.
B) Possibly due to the aforementioned point, he has many more friends online on the PS3, and would like to play with them.

Top Bottom