• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

57% of Gran Turismo 7's sales were digital last week in Uk

Plantoid

Like i said, should've launched it a month or two after horizon, i think the sales cannibalized themselves

Games are 60 or more after all, that's $180 in a single month, I'm sure lots of people who would've bought GT didn't because they already spend 120 in horizon and Elden ring or vice versa

Where's everyone that said this wouldn't sell more than GT Sport even with digital sales included? lmao
Indeed, where? There was literally only one guy who said this, and he also hedged by saying he might be wrong and that GT7 for certain won't beat GT5, which it didn't. I might be misremembering though, so feel free to call out all these people who were wrong.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
15 million is wayyyyyyyyyy too high. Its been out less than a month and probably isn't past 5 million yet.

It had nearly a million CONCURRENT players on Steam at one time. That's only PC. For comparison's sake the game that did only slightly better was Cyberpunk at launch which sold something like 13 million copies primarily on PC.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Compared to the digital launch of 2017's Gran Turismo Sport, sales are up 185%, which just shows the rise of the download market over the past five years.

With digital and physical combined, GSD data shows that 78% of Gran Turismo 7 sales were of the PS5 version. It's the third biggest PS5 launch of the year behind Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West, although it is very close between all three of those games.
Nice.

Vognerful

if steamspy numbers are correct, close to 8.5 million on PC alone...so yes, the game has done at least 15 million.
If this is true

Lets Go Reaction GIF by NBA

Reactions: Isa

reksveks

Xbox to PS ratio shortened?

W1: 41:29 (1.414:1)
W2: 42:32 (1.3125:1)

Will do the cumulative ratio now

Week 1 (1)
PS - 41
Xbox - 29 (1.414:1)
PC - 30
Week 1+2 (1+0.39)
PS - 41.28
Xbox - 29.84 (1.3833:1)
PC - 28.88

Last edited:

Vol5

People still and will buy great games.

I bought it digital and think it's great...Not £70 great though. Apart from 3 tracks it's all the same from Sport. It's got a nice user interface and it's gone back to it's roots which is cool obviously, but £70 for a facelift. 3 new tracks and some more cars? Sony need a reality check. I hope that the DLC is free which based on Sport I'm assuming will be the same. Sorry I know this is a sales thread but whatever. They won't keep buying games at £70 when they aren't true successors and don't contain the content is what I'm trying to say.

Woopah

It had nearly a million CONCURRENT players on Steam at one time. That's only PC. For comparison's sake the game that did only slightly better was Cyberpunk at launch which sold something like 13 million copies primarily on PC.
I stand corrected. I didn't properly take PC sales into account.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Split Polyphony up into two teams.

Team A: Work on a new IP that has the potential to be a smash hit in todays market.

Team B: Keep providing content for GT7.

GHG

It's the greatest game I think I've ever played. Normally when you get 50 hours in to most games you've seen it all. In this you're barely scratching the surface and everything you stumble across is so meaningful and well put together. There are mini worlds within the open world, it's just astonishing.

If Elden Ring replaces GTA V as the never ending evergreen game then it will make me very happy.

Chukhopops

Where's everyone that said this wouldn't sell more than GT Sport even with digital sales included? lmao

Anyway, great results for Gran Turismo and a great return for the franchise! (specially considering it's 80€ in europe and 100€ for the special edition lol)
Indeed, where? There was literally only one guy who said this, and he also hedged by saying he might be wrong and that GT7 for certain won't beat GT5, which it didn't. I might be misremembering though, so feel free to call out all these people who were wrong.
Lol that was me, and I said if I’m wrong I’m wrong. So I’ll admit I was wrong about that part.

Still, fifth biggest GT launch in the UK isn’t the most impressive headline.

Belthazar

If Elden Ring replaces GTA V as the never ending evergreen game then it will make me very happy.

GTA V being an evergreen is disputable... It did sell very well and keeps selling astonishingly... But A LOT of those sales aren't new players, just online players buying it for the shark cards that come included. If Elden Ring manages to have similar legs it will be much more impressive.

Last edited:

modiz

I honestly expected better numbers. But it's only UK so perhaps it is a bit better in other regions.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Split Polyphony up into two teams.

Team A: Work on a new IP that has the potential to be a smash hit in todays market.

Team B: Keep providing content for GT7.
I would be surprised if they could do a new IP and be successful. This is probably the only thing this studio is geared to do.

PeteBull

15 million is wayyyyyyyyyy too high. Its been out less than a month and probably isn't past 5 million yet.
Wonder if we ever get sales numbers but cp2077 sold over 13m in launch window and elden ring definitely not selling worse xD

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I bought it digital and think it's great...Not £70 great though. Apart from 3 tracks it's all the same from Sport. It's got a nice user interface and it's gone back to it's roots which is cool obviously, but £70 for a facelift. 3 new tracks and some more cars? Sony need a reality check. I hope that the DLC is free which based on Sport I'm assuming will be the same. Sorry I know this is a sales thread but whatever. They won't keep buying games at £70 when they aren't true successors and don't contain the content is what I'm trying to say.
I never played Sport, or 6 and only dabbled into 5 for a month or two when it came out.

So it feels really refreshing to me and well worth my purchase.

Last edited:

GHG

Do what you want.

Celebration The People Have Spoken GIF by GIPHY News

SLB1904

Banned
Game released less than 2 weeks ago. Maybe waiting 15/20M across all platforms for the PR post.

They'll get there eventually.
Come on. If it sold 10mil on PC it sold another 10mil on console at least. That's 20 mil right there. So no I didn't happen

Lol that was me, and I said if I’m wrong I’m wrong. So I’ll admit I was wrong about that part.

Still, fifth biggest GT launch in the UK isn’t the most impressive headline.
It outsold Gran Turismo 3 first week...the biggest selling Gran Turismo game ever.
First week sales aren't an indication of anything, specially when the best selling version is the one selling for 80€ /100€ in Europe, unlike the previous game that started at 50€

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

They are not
Lol they are closer than u think...cause u don't pay...I do. Trust me..they are pretty accurate. Don't be mad brah, u mad elden ring selling well? Get ready to eat some crow.

Also, just so we are clear, at least 8 million on PC alone baby. U mad that from soft games do well on PC? Sekiro outsold consoles sales, so did dark souls 3. Come on brotha, help me preach.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I would be surprised if they could do a new IP and be successful. This is probably the only thing this studio is geared to do.

There's so many examples of amateur, new, poorly resourced game developers creating successful games that I'm skeptical of your position.

Polyphony Digital has talent, experience, and access to resources that make most jealous. The trajectory of the racing sim market will not be improving anytime soon. I think it would be smart to at least create a minimal viable product GAAS new IP and see if it catches fire.

This is purely anecdotal, but my friends/family that never buy and play games got Elden Ring. This game is not your normal big release. This game is a little more special than that. I don't know why people are upset that Elden Ring is doing so well.

Top Bottom