• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell - Scribblenauts would “definitely work on other platforms”

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The thought of the kinds of things a modding community could do with it on PC just about makes me soil my pants in excitement.

Monroeski said:
The thought of the kinds of things a modding community could do with it on PC just about makes me soil my pants in excitement.
someone animate every single one of the scribblenauts avatars and put them in the pc version of the game. let it be so.

Tobor

An iPhone port makes the most sense, it's the perfect game for the market and hardware. I'll definitely double dip.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Vinci said:
They've been trapped under something heavy for five years?

The original Xbox?

Dina

Vinci said:

Check his custom title. Oh and before you ask, I have owned a DS in the past but sold it off. So here's hoping it comes to Steam, cause it'll work on Steam.

Vinci

Danish
Dina said:
Check his custom title. Oh and before you ask, I have owned a DS in the past but sold it off. So here's hoping it comes to Steam, cause it'll work on Steam.

Out of curiosity, why'd you sell it?

Dina

Vinci said:
Out of curiosity, why'd you sell it?

Bought the console and every Phoenix Wright. Didn't like anything else enough to keep the console. Tried EBA, MK:DS, NSMB, TWEWY and Meteos.

Vinci

Danish
Dina said:
Bought the console and every Phoenix Wright. Didn't like anything else enough to keep the console. Tried EBA, MK:DS, NSMB, TWEWY and Meteos.

Wow. You didn't like any of those?

Oh well, I can't say you didn't put it through its paces at least fairly well.

Dina

Vinci said:
Wow. You didn't like any of those?

Oh well, I can't say you didn't put it through its paces at least fairly well.

I beat EBA on medium or something, but it didn't grab me enough to contibue. Meteos is kinda hard to beat, but it was pretty ok. NSMB is just an affront to any Mario platformer, and Mario Kart gets stale when you're alone.

But what made me sold the handheld is that I'm not a handheld person. I don't game in short increments of time and I don't game when traveling.

Tytree

Neo Member
Obviously this could work on other platforms. Modding on PC would be awesome in certain ways (would rather not deal with an "Adult Mod"), but it would be greater as a little timewaster found on work computers everywhere.

Dina said:
Impossible. TWEWY is the greatest game ever. Not liking TWEWY is tantamount to hating freedom.

I don't really see how the interview question here is anything besides some reporter port-begging and I don't see how the response is anything besides the usual "you never know what the future holds!" non-commital non-answer that communicates no information.

Visualante said:
Heaven forbid the thought that someone might not own a DS.

Heaven should forbid it. Not owning a DS is even sillier than not owning a PS2 last generation.

StrikerObi said:
QFT. I was contemplating getting the DS version but with the possibility of an iPhone version I may hold out.

I wouldn't wait if I were you. There is about zero chance they're going to bring a game that sells for $30 on the DS to the "< $4.99 or bust" world of the App Store. Similarly I think a Steam release of a game designed to look good on a CGA-resolution screen is tremendously likely.

TalonsOfJustice said:
They'd be stupid to not put this game on other platforms. This game has the potential to sell big time, whether its handheld or next-gen

Yes, it would indeed be stupid to only publish their game on the most successful system of all time and leave it off all the platforms that have like 1/6th the world install base.

charlequin said:
Heaven should forbid it. Not owning a DS is even sillier than not owning a PS2 last generation.

Uh, let's not go overboard. The DS is awesome, and I like it better than the PS2 due to it being a portable, but for anyone for whom that's a nonfactor... we're talking about the PS2 here.

Visualante said:
Because today's Nintendo probably doesn't even know who 5th Cell are or what Scribblenauts is.

http://www.joysti q.com/2009/07/10/interview-scribblenauts-creative-director-jeremiah-slaczka/

Was there ever any talk of highlighting Scribblenauts at Nintendo's E3 keynote? Had there been any talk about the title with Nintendo at all?

There was, but it was just too late on our end to get anything ready in time. I've demoed the title personally to a lot of people at Nintendo and they all have loved it and seem very supportive of Scribblenauts. We'll see where that leads in the next coming months before launch.

Pureauthor said:
Uh, let's not go overboard. The DS is awesome, and I like it better than the PS2 due to it being a portable, but for anyone for whom that's a nonfactor... we're talking about the PS2 here.

The DS has a huge price advantage (both in hardware and software) over its competitors the 360, PS3, and Wii. If one was willing to shell out for a $400+ beast of a game console and pay $60 for its games, the justification for not also shelling out a third of that for what is unquestionably one of the three best systems of all time is that much smaller. :D

Vinci

Danish
charlequin said:
The DS has a huge price advantage (both in hardware and software) over its competitors the 360, PS3, and Wii. If one was willing to shell out for a $400+ beast of a game console and pay $60 for its games, the justification for not also shelling out a third of that for what is unquestionably one of the three best systems of all time is that much smaller. :D

This is well explained. Now I want to buy another one.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I find myself infinitely more likely to take a chance on a quirky and original DS game than I am with a console game just because of the price. It's led to some interesting game experiences.

Davey Cakes

I like how the immediate response is:

"OMG YES PLEASE! DOWNLOADABLE SCRIBBLENAUTS, IN HD, WITH DLC! WOOOOOO!"

It's already one of the most innovative and intriguing puzzle games in a long time and you people will still just ask for more a more. It never fucking ends.

And I agree that the game is a perfect fit for the DS (and probably the iPhone too). Portable gaming is NOT console gaming, and games like Scribblenauts are here to prove that. If you don't have a DS, buy one for this game. If you want to play portable games, you buy a portable system.

Rash said:

It's already one of the most innovative and intriguing puzzle games in a long time and you people will still just ask for more a more. It never fucking ends.

And I agree that the game is a perfect fit for the DS (and probably the iPhone too). Portable gaming is NOT console gaming, and games like Scribblenauts are here to prove that. If you don't have a DS, buy one for this game. If you want to play portable games, you buy a portable system.
That's a really really dumb comment.

plank

Rash said:

No.

laserbeam

Banned
They obviously mean Scribblenauts 2: DS and Wii Edition. Drawn to Life has gone that route so it would be logical for Scribblenauts too as well.

They do want to sell copies of the game you know and a few mouthbreather HD fans on Gaf buying it would not make much difference when the rest of the HD crowd passes it by to play Bald Space marine game #2748

skulpt

I would just love it if they somehow could keep on adding to this game after release. Hire some gaffers here for the extra visuals and animations, and keep on adding some more words every week or so.

jrricky

Banned
:lol The DS is Jeremiah's and 5th cells baby, if anything the sequel to the DS (who needs a sequel when you can create your own puzzles?) or the Wii. (maybe the iPhone down the line).

JEREMIAH, DO NOT COME INTO THIS THREAD OR YOU WILL BE EATEN ALIVE WITH SILLY QUESTIONS.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
danmaku said:
This. I'd hate to buy a DS just for Scribblenauts.
That's what I planned on doing. Although it's more like I was already considering one and Scribblenauts was the game that decided me on the platform.

If it ever hits the home consoles it would make more sense as a downloadable title, especially with all the modularity built into the game. Level packs and object packs shouldn't be all that hard to do.

Vinci

Danish
Forkball said:
It's only coming to DS so if you want to play it, you need a DS.

DEAL WITH IT.

Gotta love how people are so excited for it that they want 5th Cell to cut the price in half (or more) and put it on another service.

Forkball said:
It's only coming to DS so if you want to play it, you need a DS.

DEAL WITH IT.
Looking at your avatar while reading this made it seem even more serious :lol

Jokes aside(my previous post was certainly not a joke), if they decide to release on another platform, as long as it isnt PC, im for it. It would be raped with piracy even more than the ds version.

Regardless, I doubt it's coming to other platforms for a good while yet.

It seems to me a bad idea to mention other platforms at this point. It could just entice people to wait instead of buying your game immediately.

Sure, port it over later, but why talk about it now? Just do the standard "We may look at other platforms in the future but right now we're completely focused on making this game the best game we can on Nintendo DS."

timetokill said:
Regardless, I doubt it's coming to other platforms for a good while yet.

It seems to me a bad idea to mention other platforms at this point. It could just entice people to wait instead of buying your game immediately.

Sure, port it over later, but why talk about it now? Just do the standard "We may look at other platforms in the future but right now we're completely focused on making this game the best game we can on Nintendo DS."
Said simply and effectively. Im more into exclusives myself, and would rather it stay on ds, but if they are interested in venturing out, your statement would be the best route to take.

Blizzard

Banned
danmaku said:
This. I'd hate to buy a DS just for Scribblenauts.
I thought a few people actually mentioned that they were planning on buying a DS/DSi/DS Lite just for Scribblenauts. I own a DS Lite but I'm very tempted to buy a DSi just so I can play it on a slightly bigger screen.

The game actually looked pretty good to me on the scaled up projector screen. Even if it's just upscaled to 640x480 or something, I'd love to buy it on Steam.

That said, I'm definitely buying the DS version (at least twice, one of which is the preorder intended to help Jackson, which will go to a friend of mine who would otherwise pirate the game).

Sadly, now that they have announced the iPhone and PC versions, millions of gamers who don't own a DS will now not buy the game, so they can wait for the iPhone and PC versions. 5th Cell will fall into financial ruin, and tons of PC version pirates will create their own plethora of variations of user-editable "dildo", "fuck", and "poop" items.

The previous paragraph was an exaggeration. :p

In summary, I'm very happy with buying it for the DS, though I fear for eyestrain. If a Steam version comes out for the same price or less, I would happily buy it again, primarily for a larger screen, easier typing, easier cursor movement, more save slots, easier level sharing, and SCREENSHOTS/VIDEOS TO SHOW PEOPLE YOUR AWESOME EXPERIENCES. I don't think user-editable content would work too well for the game, since it would make it almost impossible to have a uniform community online, and the focus might be split between 5th Cell and user-created content.

I don't really get the point of Scribblenauts mods? I mean, I can see how mods benefit most games, but what's going to happen here?

"Awesome, I summoned Superman! Now I am going to sit back and let the puzzle solve itself."

GAME 3.0!

Top Bottom