• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell - Scribblenauts would “definitely work on other platforms”

mj1108

Besides the DS, the only other platform this title would make a killing on would be the iPhone.

Do it 5th Cell.

Cipherr

EatChildren said:
Which is sad,

No its great, why would you want Nintendo in control of them? They are making GREAT games! Why must every great dev be under the umbrella of one of the big three. God I hate that.

Bluemercury said:
you mean fun like pointing a cursor with a gamepad???

Well it would suck equally on the Wiimote and with a stupid analog stick so its really pointless to argue either.

And lol at "OMG this should be HD, and with Co-op vs battles" what in the fuck.... Guys seriously...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yeah, Scribblenauts definitely needs DLC words, they clearly aren't adding enough because of the limitations of the DS. With HD, on the other hand, the possibilities would be limitless! They could add co-op and deathmatches! And imagine the incredible mods people would make on the PC!

Yeah guys, whatever you say. But I have the feeling some of you people have no clue about this game.

bengraven

Isn't there thousands of thousands of items in this game that are summonable? I can't imagine the game needing DLC.

The only limitation this game would have would be your own imagination.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The game is probably going to miss only extremely obscure and over-specialized stuff. So why on earth would they bother releasing DLC packs for stuff no one will ever use or know anything about?
The only DS hardware-related limitations I see are the somewhat simple physics and the few objects you can spawn at the same time. Of course the game would benefit by more powerful hardware and of course it would still work on other platforms, but people suggesting DLC, mods and deathmatches should probably watch a few more gameplay videos.

timetokill said:
It seems to me a bad idea to mention other platforms at this point.

Which is probably why they didn't mention any other platforms, and instead just responded with a standard boilerplate "you never know what'll happen!" kind of response.

Cat in the Hat said:
That's a really really dumb comment.

plank said:

tiny_turtle_is_angry.jpg

mj1108 said:
Besides the DS, the only other platform this title would make a killing on would be the iPhone.

Do it 5th Cell.

ridley182 said:
5th Cell guys if you are reading this: Scribblenauts. iPhone. Do it. NAO!

Again, iPhone is a technologically suitable platform thanks to the touchscreen, but unless you can point to a game that's been a success there at a $30 pricepoint I'm pretty sure this won't actually happen.

charlequin said:
I don't really see how the interview question here is anything besides some reporter port-begging and I don't see how the response is anything besides the usual "you never know what the future holds!" non-commital non-answer that communicates no information.

Heaven should forbid it. Not owning a DS is even sillier than not owning a PS2 last generation.

I wouldn't wait if I were you. There is about zero chance they're going to bring a game that sells for $30 on the DS to the "< $4.99 or bust" world of the App Store. Similarly I think a Steam release of a game designed to look good on a CGA-resolution screen is tremendously likely.

Yes, it would indeed be stupid to only publish their game on the most successful system of all time and leave it off all the platforms that have like 1/6th the world install base.

Seriously. "Port-begging" over a DS game is one of the saddest things you will ever witness this gen. Sadder than the DD meme that has become the norm in any 2D game topic.

Honolulu

Neo Member
I'll have my intuos ready. ;)

The concept for this game sounds really cool, I'd defiantly get it if it was released via steam or something. :)

Jackson

I don't think Marius said anything other than, "Other platforms? Technically sure! A DS game on a different platform is always possible. Why are you asking me this question? The game is coming out in 2 months for DS... who knows what the future holds" :lol

Ydahs

Jackson said:
I don't think Marius said anything other than, "Other platforms? Technically sure! A DS game on a different platform is always possible. Why are you asking me this question? The game is coming out in 2 months for DS... who knows what the future holds" :lol
TI-83?

Forkball

Jackson said:

Some places are reporting September 15th. Is this the real release date for Scribblenauts?

ps never port this game kthx

Jackson

Shiggie said:
Casio CA53W-1?

brother%20and%20me%20with%20first%20microwave%20oven.gif

Here's a shot of some playtesters trying out Scribblenauts on the "Mansfield HRX-2000".

Radiation distorts the surrounding space around the unit which causes those men to look super deformed and almost child-like.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Forkball said:
Some places are reporting September 15th. Is this the real release date for Scribblenauts?

ps never port this game kthx
Why not? How is it not beneficial to everyone if they port it?

I mean, it's not like you get any advantages in case they never port this game; quite the opposite, really..
Support is still nil and shit. No updates. Limited resolution. Limited asset space. And so on..

MercuryLS

Banned
This game makes more sense on the iPhone for the majority of adult gamers, we have our iPhones on us all the time. It'd be awesome to dick around in Scribblenauts at the doctor's office for example. God knows that the App Store more AAA titles, it's got some fine games, but it needs more. I'm just wondering if this game can be sold on the platform at a higer price and succeed, it seems like any game over $10 bombs regardless of quality. Of course at that price point they could make some good money of the game still, the iPhone/iPod Touch userbase is massive and growing every day.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
"I want to play Scribblenauts, I don't want to get a DS just for one game!"

I'm really sick of this statement.

TheOddOne said:
“But we never limited ourselves to the DS as platform"

* 2009 | Scribblenauts (DS) - Published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
* 2009 | Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter (DS) - Published by THQ
* 2008 | Lock's Quest (DS) - Published by THQ
* 2007 | Drawn to Life (DS) - Published by THQ
* 2006 | D.N.A (PC) - Published by Merscom
* 2003 | Mini Poccha (Mobile) - Published by THQ Wireless
* 2003 | Siege (Mobile) - Published by THQ Wireless
* 2003 | SEAL Team 6 (Mobile) - Published by THQ Wireless

yea you guys surely dont limit yourself :\

Forkball

wmat said:
Why doesn't Bioware port Mass Effect to the PS3 or why doesn't Konami port MGS4 to Xbox 360?

I'm just tired of people complaining about how it's only on the DS. If you want to play a game, you buy the system for that game. That's how it works. Not to mention the DS is an amazing system that everyone should already own. It is the cheapest of the current gen systems, has a large variety of genres, some of the most "hardcore" titles, games from esteemed franchises like Mario, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy etc, and without the DS's success, games like Scribblenauts wouldn't even be possible. 5th Cell would probably rather sell its game for $30 to a user base of over 100 million anyways.

Blizzard

Banned
PseudoKirby said:
* 2009 | Scribblenauts (DS) - Published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
* 2009 | Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter (DS) - Published by THQ
* 2008 | Lock's Quest (DS) - Published by THQ
* 2007 | Drawn to Life (DS) - Published by THQ
* 2006 | D.N.A (PC) - Published by Merscom
* 2003 | Mini Poccha (Mobile) - Published by THQ Wireless
* 2003 | Siege (Mobile) - Published by THQ Wireless
* 2003 | SEAL Team 6 (Mobile) - Published by THQ Wireless

Assume you're being serious, you just referenced games on three different platforms, including the PC. But more importantly, way to misquote. :(

Full question and answer from OP said:
Are you concerned that you may cut yourself away from the “core” consumer by being restricted to DS?
We’ve seen both kinds of gamers instantly taking to the game, the casual gamer that played a few games before as well as hardcore ones that play nothing but the latest titles on PS3 and X360. But we never limited ourselves to the DS as platform in our heads and we’ll see what the future holds.
He was referring to Scribblenauts specifically, and he said they didn't/haven't limited it in their heads. He was being diplomatic and didn't promise anything, other than saying that when they designed it, they didn't think of their design as exclusively locked to a DS. He sure wasn't saying that they haven't limited past games to a single platform.

xfactor

Banned
wmat said:

I mean, it's not like you get any advantages in case they never port this game; quite the opposite, really..
Support is still nil and shit. No updates. Limited resolution. Limited asset space. And so on..

It'll be downgraded without touch screen.

I think we should be begging Square-Enix to port Dissidia or Crisis Core over to the PS2. These 2 games will certainly benefit the FF7 fans without a PSP

This is getting stupid. When talks of port is possible, the non-owners of the console suddenly talks about moral and how it should be ported to benefit everyone, when they've been neglecting it all along in the first place.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
PseudoKirby said:
Don't worry, this young and small team is totally going to make you a self-funded PS360 cinematic third person shooter RPG with driving sequences, a true and complete high definition experience, just because they don't like to limit themselves. Who cares about budgets and manpower after all?
This besides the fact the quote simply meant "we never limited to the DS while designing this game".

Jackson said:

Here's a shot of some playtesters trying out Scribblenauts on the "Mansfield HRX-2000".

Radiation distorts the surrounding space around the unit which causes those men to look super deformed and almost child-like.
Child labour at 5th Cell am confirmed? :O

BorkBork said:
"I want to play Scribblenauts, I don't want to get a DS just for one game!"

I'm really sick of this statement.
If you don't have (or haven't had) a DS or a PS2, consider your gamer card revoked.
It's pretty much like claiming to be movie experts without having watched Hitchcock and Kubrick movies.

xfactor said:
This is getting stupid. When talks of port is possible, the non-owners of the console suddenly talks about moral and how it should be ported to benefit everyone, when they've been neglecting it all along in the first place.
Gamers are immature self-centered pricks, news at 11 :D

Jackson said:

lolz confirmed by the man himself

MercuryLS said:
It'd be awesome to dick around in Scribblenauts at the doctor's office for example.

The last time I was at the dentist, me and the 55-year old lady sitting across from me both had our DSes out for the half-hour until we got called on, so what's your excuse?

Jocchan said:
If you don't have (or haven't had) a DS or a PS2, consider your gamer card revoked.

Pretty much. PS2 dominated over the competition like nothing else since the NES, with domination across literally every game genre barring, perhaps, FPS; DS is an incredible system that not only revitalized tons of moribund genres but also brought great options to the table in many still popular fields, plus more cool, clever niche designs (like Scribblenauts!) than the other four current-gen systems put together. And both can be had today for $129 USD or less! Port-begging from either is just kind of sad.

wmat said:

Because it's already on the most successful dedicated game platform of all time, which approximately 250% of everybody already owns?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
charlequin said:
The last time I was at the dentist, me and the 55-year old lady sitting across from me both had our DSes out for the half-hour until we got called on, so what's your excuse?
Mature gamers never play videogames in public, it makes them feel insecure about their maturity.

Haunted

PC version should be the cheapest possible way to get Scibblenauts to a(n even wider) audience.

I don't really see the need for console ports, neither Wii/360/PS3, tbh. Any (puzzle) gamer worth his salt already has a DS anyway.

jrricky

Banned
Jackson said:
Zing. Jeremiah, I told you not to respond:lol

Jocchan said:
Don't worry, this young and small team is totally going to make you a self-funded PS360 cinematic third person shooter RPG with driving sequences, a true and complete high definition experience, just because they don't like to limit themselves. Who cares about budgets and manpower after all?
This besides the fact the quote simply meant "we never limited to the DS while designing this game".

Yea, because thats the ONLY thing they could do on a console.... they couldnt POSSIBLY be doing XBLA/PSN stuff

Blizzard said:
Assume you're being serious, you just referenced games on three different platforms, including the PC. But more importantly, way to misquote. :(

3 Mobile Games, a PC game, then a bunch of DS games..... I was saying that as far as platforms... thats really limiting..

Wii with pointer controls for text entry. I hate playing portable games when I'm at home and don't have a use for portable gaming very often, so I've missed out on a decent amount of DS games... Scribblenauts won't be one of said missed out games, but damn, I wish there was a home console version coming.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
PseudoKirby said:
3 Mobile Games, a PC game, then a bunch of DS games..... I was saying that as far as platforms... thats really limiting..
Yes, I think both me and the other dude you quoted got perfectly what you meant.
The problem is you probably missed the point.

abstract alien said:
Well, seeing as the ds runs circles around every console and pc out at the moment when it comes to quality games...and innovative ones...my statement stands.

Fucking wow.

XBLA port pls

charlequin said:
Pretty much. PS2 dominated over the competition like nothing else since the NES, with domination across literally every game genre barring, perhaps, FPS; DS is an incredible system that not only revitalized tons of moribund genres but also brought great options to the table in many still popular fields, plus more cool, clever niche designs (like Scribblenauts!) than the other four current-gen systems put together. And both can be had today for $129 USD or less! Port-begging from either is just kind of sad.

I've never felt particularly compelled to own either console. I know, I'm a terrible person.

Jocchan said:
Mature gamers never play videogames in public, it makes them feel insecure about their maturity.

That's why they make games where you can turn the DS sideways...flip that sucker sideways and people just think you're improving the power of your mind (even if you're actually just slaying hoardes in Ninja Gaiden).

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I've never felt particularly compelled to own either console. I know, I'm a terrible person.

It doesn't make you a bad person, just establishes you as a relatively casual (in the dictionary sense, not the retarded GAF sense) gamer and excludes you from ever, ever, ever whining about a game being exclusive to either.

Top Bottom