• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60 Days later: VR owners was it worth it?

UX Genes

Nope. I've had Rift now almost a month and it hasn't been touched in a week or two. It feels like slightly better 3D more than anything else, I never feel very immersed, the cables are annoying, the display is not anywhere near as good as it needs to be for me not to feel like I am always in a headset.

That is because you have a Rift....

lmimmfn

That is because you have a Rift....
Seriously what does that mean, the experience on vive is similar as it uses the same display.

I have a rift, have 0 interest in fanboyism but it needs touch, I use Hydra's for this currently but its a hack.

My rift has been sitting idle for 3 weeks, not because of lack of content, I love project cars California coast track. Its because I'm a gamer and I'm trying to finish witcher 3 and some of my backlog

Will say VR games are stupidly expensive though, in terms of length, sim games are fine :)

T.O.P

Banned
Still blows me away daily

Static VR is great (but i can see some people getting tired of it much earlier), but room scale with the Vive is hardly something that you can describe, it's absolutely amazing

Half the fun comes from letting friends and family try it out for the first time, hilarious reactions all around

Holo Ball, AudioShield, Brookhaven Experiment, Job Simulator, Budget Cuts, VR zGame - Left-Hand Path

Lots of good stuff to mess around with

973€ well spent i must say

Thoraxes

At first I loved it.

The day after I had buyers remorse.

Then the day after that I loved it again. It took me a little bit to get used to, and some of the smaller issues I had (mainly the light "god rays" because of the fresnel lenses, and the mura on low light situations) I didn't feel so bad about once I found out it was a common thing for everyone no matter which headset you owned.

That being said, I really love the sense of immersion. It's really cool to just be somewhere while wearing it, though to me it feels like i'm viewing everything through a scuba mask. When the FOV improves with future revisions, it's going to be so fucking cool. I knew going in i'd be an early adopter with all the growing pains it has, but honestly it's been a satisfying experience overall.

Also I tried Super Mario Galaxy 2 in DolphinVR yesterday and holy shit that looked so fucking good, even with how buggy it was.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to end up getting the Oculus Touch controllers when they come out too. I'm sold.

Also it's really hard to get helpful answers about games and game purchases from people due to the low supply currently. So it's just a lot of trial and error for things you don't know.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
For me it was worth it once I got a game i enjoyed. House Of The Dying Sun is really cool and keeps me coming back in a way that some of the other titles I tried at launch did not. For some games (HOTDS included), going back to the screen version now feels like playing a slightly duller/muted game.

120v

i've had my rift for about a week now... based on my experience so far, a good parallel (in terms of gaming) would mid 90s 3D games. mindblowing at first but you can see the tears at the seams later on... you can tell the tech isn't quite there yet, but very very close

that said i'm a full-on convert. no doubt in my mind this isn't a fad. or if it does happen to be some blip on the radar its absence will be temporary. this is some back to the future 2 shit and any wringing of the hands i had about being an "early adopter" and paying the premium that comes with that went away pretty quick.

Elite Dangerous in the Rift is amazing.

Far more excited for the Social aspects than the gaming though.
This is definitely "Gen 1" but this tech is going to be the Be All in a few years.

Personal preference really does seem to be what this all boils down to, rather than the actual nature of the games. Let's take your list for example.

Something like Project Cars is easily more fleshed out than Gran Turismo Sport is going to be (hell, it looking somewhat like a Prologue entry is what the game is catching most flack for). Hell, moreso than GTS and Driveclub combined will probably be. And that's not taking into account how the majority of standard racers on PC are VR candidates, rather than a select few developed with it in mind.

Elite Dangerous is massively more fleshed out than Ace Combat 7 will be (AC7 being the main reason I have a PSVR on order). Eve Valkyrie is already up for the Rift, so that doesn't really need addressing.

You talk about Edge of Nowhere being a 4-5hr on rails experience, yet how would you classify Rez?

Rigs and Battlezone both looks cool, but they're are just as arcade-like as many of the current VR offerings. There's really not the sort of depth divide that you appear to be suggesting.

Sorry for the late reply.

For me, it has more to do with the fact that I do not feel that Rez has been shaped to fit VR (obviously, since Rez is Rez). I don't want to play a game like Edge of Nowhere, an adventure game that offers less than it's contemporaries just because it features VR, that doesn't interest me.

Rigs might be arcade like, but it has more gameplay depth and sustainability than the majority of experiences currently on offer. They are building it up to be an esport, and it has a single player career structure like the EA sports games. It seems very in-depth for that type of experience. I'm also super interested in how the controls will work and whether head controlled aiming or eye tracked aiming can be competitive.

I think Project Cars is bad as a racing simulator, it has nothing to do with the body of content, it's just my personal preference, but obviously my decision is not devoid of that influence. I never professed what I say to be objectively correct, I just prefer GT over Project Cars. It's also the fact that I will also have GT and Driveclub to play on the same system... sim and arcade together, both at a very high quality, accessible at launch. I don't think that's available on Occulus right now.

Elite Dangeous and Ace Combat are not especially similar, Elite is appealing, in its own right and I agree that it's one of the games that suits VR very well without feeling almost hindered by it, but they are completely different experiences. As for Battlezone, it's more to do with the fact that I feel that Battlezone isn't less than it would otherwise be, because of VR. With games like Edge of Nowhere, I know Insomniac could produce a much better action adventure experience, without VR, it feels as though we're regressing from more fleshed out experiences, just to fit VR. With something like Battlezone or REZ, VR feels like a nice fit, as it doesn't seem as though it would take anything from the experience to be a high quality VR experience, quite the opposite in fact.

Then there's the other titles I mentioned, Supehyper cube, which is doing some pretty neat things with perspective that are achievable only because of VR. It's a neat concept for a game that's offering a lot more than just immersion at the cost of everything else.

2 months huh? Doesn't feel that long at all, as a spectator I haven't felt any significant change to the media or industry. I think PS Vr will probably make more of a dent.

i have a vive and a rift and i love both, including the fact that we haven't really worked out how to best use them yet. that's what makes VR exciting — i'm sold on the tech and the paradigm, and it's fun to be right back in a situation where the world is still exploring the possibilities. i think the comparison above to the early days of 3D in the '90s is exactly right.

the vive lineup in particular is so experimental and weird. zero polish, of course, but that's actually half the appeal at this point. oculus and PSVR, on the other hand, have the potential to go big with more accessible content down the line.

the vive is straight-up the most incredible consumer product i've used in years of covering technology. it's still super rough, but in this case more than ever before i'm happy to be on the bleeding edge.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i have a vive and a rift and i love both, including the fact that we haven't really worked out how to best use them yet. that's what makes VR exciting — i'm sold on the tech and the paradigm, and it's fun to be right back in a situation where the world is still exploring the possibilities. i think the comparison above to the early days of 3D in the '90s is exactly right.

the vive lineup in particular is so experimental and weird. zero polish, of course, but that's actually half the appeal at this point. oculus and PSVR, on the other hand, have the potential to go big with more accessible content down the line.

the vive is straight-up the most incredible consumer product i've used in years of covering technology. it's still super rough, but in this case more than ever before i'm happy to be on the bleeding edge.

absolutely agree, especially the bolded.

For me it was more or less exactly as I thought it would be, so it was worth it or I wouldn't have picked up in the first place. I haven't moved my coffee table back to it's position since I first mounted the base stations, so I expect this to be pretty much a permanent set up in my living room.

The only thing I was a bit let down by was how temperature dependent enjoying VR is. I basically can't use the thing if it's even slightly warm outside because I will sweat too much and the lenses will fog up. That's not a problem 8 months out of the year though, but may-august can limit how interested I am in strapping on the headset. Also the straps/facial interface could use some serious redesign for gen2. Even more important to me than screen resolution to be honest.

GlamFM

Banned
Like my VIVE and everything, but I´m now convinced that the resolution is a problem that this generation will not overcome.

I use my Rift every night. I'm actually kind of concerned that it will add creases to my face, so I'm trying to alternate days a bit to not over do it.

I hope they make it lighter in the future.

coughlanio

I bought my Vive based on the promise of a VR future. Whilst I don't play it all the time, I enjoy it and do not regret my purchase. Just this past weekend I jumped into The Solus Project and Duck Hunt VR and loved both experiences. Would I recommend VR to someone interested in it? No, definitely no. Wait, unless you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, or are willing to invest in the future of VR, with little return right now.

SomTervo

Got my HTC Vive on Friday.

Set it up on Saturday.

Blew my parents' minds, my mind, my girlfriend's mind, the minds of my close friends.

Played it more Sunday. Have about 25 games. 22 of which are very short, inch-deep experiences – but even inch-deep experiences are completely incredible. Standing at the bottom of an ocean for real. Standing inside the fucking Millenium Falcon at full, real-life size. Actually using guns, not just shooting them - releasing mags, loading new ones, cocking the weapon.

A few slightly deeper experiences will keep me coming back. Wildlands is a legit good platformer, I've loved working out how to basically web-sling through certain tough puzzles. Hover Junkers seems like it could be a really great multiplayer game - not great IQ, though.

Holopoint the arrow shooting game is badass, keeps you moving. VR zGame is brilliant even though it's barely complete - just shooting at and escaping zombies is so much more compelling in VR. I'm looking forward to trying more songs in Audioshield. I haven't finished Vanishing Realms yet. Out of Ammo seems brilliant. A friend gifted me TableTop Simulator and Battle Dome, the latter of which I'm really looking forward to trying. Then if I want to go seated I can play Elite: Dangerous and Project Cars.

It's a new frontier. Even at this bleeding-edge early adoption phase, it is fucking brilliant.

Still blows me away daily

Static VR is great (but i can see some people getting tired of it much earlier), but room scale with the Vive is hardly something that you can describe, it's absolutely amazing

That's the thing. It's roomscale which is just... wtf

It's legit a new frontier

tomhan

I've had it for about a month and I like my Oculus, it's not a life changing experience and it needs a larger library but it will get there eventually. I for one welcome our new VR overlords.

It has been awesome just showing it to all my friends (gaming and non-gaming). I usually use the Unreal 4 demo, Oculus dreamdeck, Project Cars and Apollo 11 VR to introduce people and that has been the best part for me so far.

Any other suggestions for short experiences that really show off what VR can do?

SomTervo

I've had it for about a month and I like my Oculus, it's not a life changing experience and it needs a larger library but it will get there eventually. I for one welcome our new VR overlords.

It has been awesome just showing it to all my friends (gaming and non-gaming). I usually use the Unreal 4 demo, Oculus dreamdeck, Project Cars and Apollo 11 VR to introduce people and that has been the part part for me so far.

Any other suggestions for short experiences that really show off what VR can do?

As much as I'm sure the Oculus Rift is brilliant, it's roomscale that really fucking kills in VR. The immersion is next-level. Maybe go in on the Touch controllers when reviews are out?

How long are you guys and gals able to use your headset in one sitting before getting fatigued?

I keep hearing people say that VR isn't something we'll want to do for long periods of time.

I use my Rift every night. I'm actually kind of concerned that it will add creases to my face, so I'm trying to alternate days a bit to not over do it.

I hope they make it lighter in the future.

Owning both, I have to say the Rift is amazingly built. It's lighter, smaller and it just looks better.

Too bad the Vive is better anywhere else for now xD

Thoraxes

How long are you guys and gals able to use your headset in one sitting before getting fatigued?

I keep hearing people say that VR isn't something we'll want to do for long periods of time.

Depends on the game really. Could be anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple hours if I get really engaged. But even then, a 15 minute or so break here or there goes a long way.

Zalusithix

The headset itself? Easily hours. And this is with the Vive which many regard as the least comfortable of the lot.

Fatigue comes from everything else you're doing. Games like Holopoint/Holoball are going to fatigue you relatively quickly from the sheer amount movement required. Then you have games like The Galllery, Waterbears, Fantastic Contraption, and the like where you're not moving much at all and can wear the headset for as long as you can stand it strapped on your face. A game like Audioshield is a middle ground where it's active, but doesn't require dodging, squatting, rotating, etc.

Mind you, I play in a sufficiently AC'd environment. I don't have to worry about heat build up in the headset in all but the most extreme situations. In those cases, it's the entire body that's heating up anyhow.

I get carsick very easily to the extent that I can't do anything but look out the window whenever I'm in a passenger seat and I've had sessions last up to 4 hours without taking it off.

That said, my average play time is around 1-3 hours and in all my time with my Vive the only time I've ever experienced any motion sickness was when I was trying out games that weren't made for VR in VR which is obviously my own fault :p

If you're someone like me that gets really motion sick from car/bus/train rides I wouldn't be too quick to count yourself out for the experience. If you have a store that runs VR demos near you then I absolutely suggest giving it a try even if you're usually sensitive to these kinds of things.

Okay cool, thanks for the impressions guys. I think I'll probably be fine then. I don't get visual motion sickness very easy, but I will if I'm physically being moved around. (IE: rollercoaster, on a boat with very rocky waves, overly bumpy ride in a vehicle)

As for the physical fatigue, I never thought about that part. I was more asking about having the set on and being in a VR world for a long time. But yeah, I'll need to consider being tired from swinging around controllers and such too.

DirtyLarry

Had my Rift for 8 days now. Was not impressed at first but then by Day 3 I was super impressed. Now I just realize it is a great piece of 1st generation hardware with a pretty limited launch library of software.

Side note. I showed my parents VR this past Friday. My dad's reaction, and keep in mind this is a man who usually despises technology, was priceless. I believe his exact words were "now this is a fucking future I can get behind." His favorite experience by far was ADR1FT (I controlled it for him).

I am still getting my VR legs so to speak. There are some games that make me queasy (Edge of Nowhere), and other games I just cannot play longer than 20-30 minutes at a time (ADR1FT).

With the above said, if one of my friends asked me if they should pick up Rift or Vive, my recommendation would be a resounding Wait.

Vanmunt

Banned
Had my rift for quite a few weeks and I still think it an amazing bit of tech... shame win10 seems to have completely borked my G25 steering wheel that I will have to sort out but apart from that the actual rift is great.

chris121580

My rift is being delivered today! So excited! Not sure what I'll play first but have a feeling I'll be taking full advantage of the Oculus store. Any suggestions on what to first try would be appreciated

Vive owner here and I'm on the yes/no fence. The highs are high, but the lows are low. Biggest complaints are resolution and comfort. Also, the lenses tend to fog up when I get too active, which is annoying as hell.

Vanmunt

Banned
My rift is being delivered today! So excited! Not sure what I'll play first but have a feeling I'll be taking full advantage of the Oculus store. Any suggestions on what to first try would be appreciated

Download all the free stuff first, dreamdeck, lost and all the others. Download luckys tale as it is surprisingly good. There are lots of threads with game recommendations but I would definitely give a nod to blazerush and its cheap on sale.

120v

I'm probably an outlier because on "intense" games I never get an iota of motion sickness. I could play for hours without "needing a break"

Intrusiveness comes from simply wearing the headset itself... strap isn't particularly comfortable, playing in summer Texas weather will fog the lens and make me pour sweat even with the AC at full blast... this is going to be the biggest thing to improve upon imo

Cuburt

With all these obvious flaws of the screen door effect, couldn't they have just gone with projection technology or something? Maybe it might not be as sharp but it seems like one of those arrogant decisions fueled by business and specs rather than the better experience, like 3D TVs pushing active 3D instead of passive 3D. The flaws of the former probably end up turning people off the tech altogether, while going for the simpler/low tech option of the latter would provide the more pleasing results.

ChrisG683

I've had my Vive for about a month now, and it truly is impressive how much roomscale + motion tracked controllers make a difference in your VR experience.

I have not used a Rift or the PSVR, but I have done some seated/non-roomscale VR with my Vive, and WOW it's so boring, definitely NOT worth the purchase for such a low quality display and limited world interactivity.

I was a huge advocate for 3D Vision, and honestly I kind of prefer it to a seated VR experience. Simple glasses, much higher resolution display, no cables, no camera/tracker required, outside world interactivity (mouse/kb, 5.1 suround sound etc). It did need a special monitor though, so there is that. For seated VR, I feel like the head tracking didn't add enough to my experience to warrant the serious downgrade in visuals.

Dark Souls III in 3D-Vision @ 1080p was an absolute visual feast. I couldn't play it @ 1440p, but with a GTX 1080, I may be able to now on my 2nd playthrough.

Roomscale + Motion controllers however is very much worth it.

I'm just hoping that the Rift/PSVR/Gear VR don't leave a sour taste with the world's first impressions of VR. I mean let's face it, Oculus and Sony are going to have a lot more exposure when it comes to VR for the masses than the Vive, including the easier price points. I feel like everyone's first VR experience NEEDS to include roomscale and controller tracking, otherwise you're just playing on a low resolution 360 3D monitor.

Zalusithix

With all these obvious flaws of the screen door effect, couldn't they have just gone with projection technology or something? Maybe it might not be as sharp but it seems like one of those arrogant decisions fueled by business and specs rather than the better experience, like 3D TVs pushing active 3D instead of passive 3D. The flaws of the former probably end up turning people off the tech altogether, while going for the simpler/low tech option of the latter would provide the more pleasing results.

Screens combined with optics are practical. Retinal projection with the FoV needed for VR is not. They could have eliminated SDE with a diffusion filter, but that'd sacrifice resolution. Everything is a trade-off. The decisions made on these headsets are based mostly on practicality, not some grand conspiracy by corporate suits to screw over consumers.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I have not used a Rift or the PSVR, but I have done some seated/non-roomscale VR with my Vive, and WOW it's so boring, definitely NOT worth the purchase for such a low quality display and limited world interactivity.

Non-roomscale is perfectly fine for driving and flight sims. Anyone serious about those with a good wheel or HOTAS setup, VR's already worth it alone just for that. I don't think I can go back to something like a triple monitor + Track IR setup, especially once we start seeing better headsets come out in the future. Roomscale does not make sense for every genre. :p

Tain

ChrisG683 said:

I can't relate to this, and I don't really get it unless you're totally bored by more traditional video games in general. The immersion factor is well worth the resolution trade-off in every instance I've tried. If a game has decent VR support, I'll probably always prefer it in VR.

Thanks, I don't travel much so something like this would be very beneficial to me to choose where I go. Plus, I'd like to go to other planets, the bottom of the ocean, to the caldera of volcano, etc.

The vr set that does that, is the one I will get.

I should note that the Destinations scenes are usually pretty static, but very photoreal (obviously, since they're made from photos). But there's a chunk of software out there, running on both Rift and Vive, that is less focused on traditional interactive game experiences and more focused on passive tourism-ish stuff. I hear a lot about theBlu, for example. I think there will be a lot of releases like that in time.

ChrisG683

Thanks, I don't travel much so something like this would be very beneficial to me to choose where I go. Plus, I'd like to go to other planets, the bottom of the ocean, to the caldera of volcano, etc.

The vr set that does that, is the one I will get.

I feel like it may be a while before you'll have true VR tourism.

This is not a limitation at the consumer's end but the producer's end. It seems to me like Photogrammetry (I think that's the spelling?) is still very primitive and labor intensive at this point, requiring tons of pictures, lighting adjustments, artificial geometry, and the end result is impressive, but when it comes to complex geometric objects the results can be mixed sometimes.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I can't relate to this, and I don't really get it unless you're totally bored by more traditional video games in general. The immersion factor is well worth the resolution trade-off in every instance I've tried. If a game has decent VR support, I'll probably always prefer it in VR.

I should note that the Destinations scenes are usually pretty static, but very photoreal (obviously, since they're made from photos). But there's a chunk of software out there, running on both Rift and Vive, that is less focused on traditional interactive game experiences and more focused on passive tourism-ish stuff. I hear a lot about theBlu, for example. I think there will be a lot of releases like that in time.

I feel like it may be a while before you'll have true VR tourism.

This is not a limitation at the consumer's end but the producer's end. It seems to me like Photogrammetry (I think that's the spelling?) is still very primitive and labor intensive at this point, requiring tons of pictures, lighting adjustments, artificial geometry, and the end result is impressive, but when it comes to complex geometric objects the results can be mixed sometimes.
Yeah it will take a while but will be great

LogicStep

Well I'm getting my rift this Friday. Don't know if I'll have time to try it out much until Monday. I'm hoping it blows my mind. Been waiting almost all my life for something like this.

ChrisG683

Non-roomscale is perfectly fine for driving and flight sims. Anyone serious about those with a good wheel or HOTAS setup, VR's already worth it alone just for that. I don't think I can go back to something like a triple monitor + Track IR setup, especially once we start seeing better headsets come out in the future. Roomscale does not make sense for every genre. :p

I agree that VR is great for these, but I also feel like Driving/Flying sims are such a small portion of the videogame market, and that to your average consumer it's not worth the price of entry. It's immersive yes, but it doesn't really enhance the gameplay at all, it doesn't provide anything you didn't have with a traditional controller/wheel setup and being able to quickly tilt your view (other than perhaps behing more intuitive and easier to do now).

And I agree not everything has to be Roomscale + Track Controllers, but without those I feel like it makes a Rift/PSVR purchase so much more hollow, it's like you're buying an incomplete package.

Quite the opposite, I play way more Dota 2 than I'd like to admit, and plenty of others at great length. I'm just trying to address the original topic here though about VR being worth the price of entry as it is right now ($600-800 roughly), and honestly I would still have a hard time recommending even the Vive to my friends. The technology is fascinating, but many aspects of VR still need to mature (both software and hardware) before I'd say it's something that everyone should pick up.

To me, low-resolution stationary VR is not much different than a high resolution 3D monitor. Both add an added sense of depth and realism to the game, but neither really changes the game in a significant fashion or fundamentally changes the way you play games. I realize this is a bit of an exaggeration as VR definitely offers more than a 3D monitor, but what I'm trying to say is that the leap from 2D/3D -> Stationary VR isn't that big (especially due to the sacrifice in IQ), however 2D/3D -> Roomscale VR is a whole new ballgame, it fundamentally changes the way games can be played.

Luckily the Oculus Touch + Roomscale implementation seems very promising, I hope Oculus decides to abandon the headset only approach. As for the PSVR I don't know what they're going to do, but other than the gun controller, I don't know how concerned they are about pushing motion tracked controllers. I am however happy that their optics seem to be on point, HMDs have a long way to go before they'll be "must haves," and PSVR is a step in the right direction.

Top Bottom