• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60GB PS3 YLOD w/ disc stuck inside. Anyway to get it out?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, so my 60GB PS3 has finally kicked the bucket, and is holding my game disc hostage. Is there a known way of forcing the disc out of the system so I can at least get that back at least?

On a related topic, if I opt to get a new PS3 instead of repairing this one, is there a known way to transfer saves, or would that require me to literally swap out HDDs, thus kind of defeating one of the nice benefits of buying new (a bigger HDD)?

LiK

simply taking out the HDD and putting it into a new PS3 will not work. the PS3 will ask to format the HDD if you do that. you need to be able to backup the contents or transfer them.

are you able to get it to work so you can transfer the contents? once that's done, rip it open for your game.

RurouniZel

LiK said:
simply taking out the HDD and putting it into a new PS3 will not work. the PS3 will ask to format the HDD if you do that. you need to be able to backup the contents or transfer them.

are you able to get it to work so you can transfer the contents? once that's done, rip it open for your game.

I can't get it to work. When I try to turn it on, the light is green for a half second, followed by a quick yellow light, and then a blinking red one.

This is a recurring topic so you might want to do a search next time. However as I went through this not so long ago, I can tell you:

- the old 60GB model doesn't really have a way to get the disc out without disassembly, as some of the other models do (you can force the fan to work and then get the disc out on the 40GB version for isntance - this doesn't work reliably on the 60GB version. You can get lucky with flicking the power switch and holding eject, but that's a lottery, and I couldn't pull it off)

- you cannot put your harddrive into a new PS3 without deleting all existing data on it. So that doesn't work at all

- if you want to keep your saves, the only way is by having your YLOD fixed. This can be done for fairly cheap, but you'll have to assume this is only a temporary fix (mine broke again two months later) and so really only gets you your saves back.

then, you can do some of the following:

- if you want to keep exactly everything that was on your old HDD, you'll have to transfer the contents of your HDD from your old PS3 to the new one using the built in utility with both old and new PS3 on the same network (or linked with a cross-link UTP cable)

- if you only want to keep all your saves including protected saves (that cannot be normally copied to an external drive and then restored on another PS3), then you can also sign up for Playstation Plus if you haven't already and use the 'cloud storage' to copy your saves to, your protected saves in particular. I'm using this now, using two PS3s, and its very useful - look forward to games supporting that natively.

- if you don't care about your handful of protected saves (there aren't really that many left, Killzone 2 is one of the bigger ones that still has it I think), you can copy your saves to a USB drive/stick/whatever and restore them on your new system

You can get your disc back also of course by having it fixed, or disassemble the PS3 until you can get to it of course.

RurouniZel

&Divius said:
Have you tried this?

... no dice. :(

EDIT: Apparently doesn't work on 60 GB

Maastricht said:
This is a recurring topic so you might want to do a search next time. However as I went through this not so long ago, I can tell you:

- the old 60GB model doesn't really have a way to get the disc out without disassembly, as some of the other models do (you can force the fan to work and then get the disc out on the 40GB version for isntance - this doesn't work reliably on the 60GB version. You can get lucky with flicking the power switch and holding eject, but that's a lottery, and I couldn't pull it off)

- you cannot put your harddrive into a new PS3 without deleting all existing data on it. So that doesn't work at all

- if you want to keep your saves, the only way is by having your YLOD fixed. This can be done for fairly cheap, but you'll have to assume this is only a temporary fix (mine broke again two months later) and so really only gets you your saves back.

then, you can do some of the following:

- if you want to keep exactly everything that was on your old HDD, you'll have to transfer the contents of your HDD from your old PS3 to the new one using the built in utility with both old and new PS3 on the same network (or linked with a cross-link UTP cable)

- if you only want to keep all your saves including protected saves (that cannot be normally copied to an external drive and then restored on another PS3), then you can also sign up for Playstation Plus if you haven't already and use the 'cloud storage' to copy your saves to, your protected saves in particular. I'm using this now, using two PS3s, and its very useful - look forward to games supporting that natively.

- if you don't care about your handful of protected saves (there aren't really that many left, Killzone 2 is one of the bigger ones that still has it I think), you can copy your saves to a USB drive/stick/whatever and restore them on your new system

You can get your disc back also of course by having it fixed, or disassemble the PS3 until you can get to it of course.

Yeah, I searched on Google but I suck at that (I typed "NeoGaf PS3 YLOD" and turned up nothing.). Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can do.

The only way to get the disc and save your data would be to reflow the motherboard, buy a new PS3 and transfer all your stuff other through ethernet.

I did it last summer. For someone with literally zero experience with computer hardware, it wasn't hard. I just followed an online video guide, and got it up and running again.

Grinchy

Banned
My 60GB died with Killzone 2 inside of it. I sent it to Sony and allowed them to steal $150 from me. They sent my KZ2 disc back and it had a very tiny chip at the edge of the disc. I think they basically just use a pair of very thin pliers to do the job.

Obviously not going to immediately help you, but Sony WILL send you your game disc back if you send the console in.

Oh, beaten. Just verifying his story, of course!

I don't think there is a way to get a disc out of a YLOD phat console unless you have someone take it apart unfortunately. I could be wrong though, but nothing worked for me.

Mine died pretty recently too, but luckily I got my disc out on the very last time the ps3 turned on and stayed on (it gave hints that it was dying by going to stand by as I played games thankfully).

There's nothing you can do short of taking the thing apart carefully and getting it out, and unless you want to pay $100 or $150 or whatever it is, your ps3 is gone for good. When I get my slim eventually I'm going to have a party that may or may not include a hammer and a 60gb ps3.

entremet

Happened to me with Persona 3. Loved BC. Sent it to Sony and let the customer rep that a disc was stuck inside. I received a refurb PS3 with the disc in a paper sleeve. The disc was a great condition.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I had to send mine to Sony. They sent me the disc back. The form you fill out has an item about that. You're screwed for saves too, unless you can engineer that shit to run again for a while.

RurouniZel

Thanks for all the advise guys. I'm thinking that since this was a refurbished 60GB PS3 from Gamestop spending $150 to repair isn't a good long-term solution anyway. I'll give the reflow idea a try first, and if that doesn't work, I'll just tear the damn thing apart to get my game disc out. Sucks about the saves, but what are ya gonna do?

kiryogi said:
After reading so many YLOD stories, I decided to sign up for psn plus. Cloud saving = peace of mind.

I'm thinking this might not be a bad idea myself now.

Irish

My copy of Demon's Souls got stuck inside my 60gig when it died last October. I tore the fucking blu-ray drive to pieces trying to get that son of a bitch out. I wouldn't suggest that.

mintylurb

kiryogi said:
After reading so many YLOD stories, I decided to sign up for psn plus. Cloud saving = peace of mind.
Wth. Not you too! Folks shouldn't be rewarding Sony for making another shoddy HW. You should be suing Sony.. ;/

Send your PS3 to gophermods.com. It happened to me recently and it's what I did.

a) They guaranete that if there's a disc inside you'll get it back, even if they can't fix the machine
b) If they can't fix the machine, you get a full refund plus your console back
c) Turnaround time is pretty nice, about a week from the time you mail your console to them.

I did this recently and unfortunately my PS3 fell into the very small percentage of units that cannot be fixed. But oh well, was worth a try. A guy I work with's brother works at SCEA in tech support and is going to try to get my shit off, but yea as other people mentioned, under normal circumstances you are totally screwed if the PS3 can't be fixed.

First thing I did after buying a new PS3? Sign up for PS+ and use cloud saves.

mintylurb said:
Wth. Not you too! Folks shouldn't be rewarding Sony for making another shoddy HW. You should be suing Sony.. ;/

Come on, I don't know a single person with an Xbox who hasn't had an RROD, and those can come as early as a year after purchase. Average shelf life for a PS3 is much longer, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I, too, used the hairdryer trick on my YLOD 60gb. It worked well enough for me to get my disc out and also save all my data to my new PS3 slim.

iFootball

Not exactly the same case, but worth sharing....

My 18 months old son inserted (actually, forced-in) 3 of my games into my phat PS3 a month ago....

I basically had to take the PS3 apart all the way into the BluRay drive, and take that apart too... when I pulled the last screw, the discs came flying out of the drive...

Fortunately... I put everything back in its place and the PS3 works just fine!

inner-G

Banned
carvasd said:
Not exactly the same case, but worth sharing....

My 18 months old son inserted (actually, forced-in) 3 of my games into my phat PS3 a month ago....

I basically had to take the PS3 apart all the way into the BluRay drive, and take that apart too... when I pulled the last screw, the discs came flying out of the drive...

Fortunately... I put everything back in its place and the PS3 works just fine!
amazing! :eek:

Grayman

Hairdryer trick did not work for me so i took the PS3 and disc drive apart. Fishing with a knife or elastic does not work well enough on a dead system to suggest it. There are guides on what order to do that in (screws everywhere!)

lifa-cobex

Classic_Gs said:
Sony sent me back my disc when I sent in my 60GB with the YLOD.

That's not the case every time. My gf worked for a ps refurb factory. She kept everything she found.

Personally i would take a screwdriver and get it yourself.

I resurrected two ylod PS3s with these steps (quick/dirty/lazy):

- Unplug PS3, place it horizontally in another room (plastic smell later on)
- Point a hairdryer (probably relatively powerful) at one of the two (60gb PS3) ventilation openings in the back. Keep it at distance of a few cm/inches.
- let it blow hot air into the PS3 for 5-10 min at max hairdryer setting. Then repeat with the other opening.
- don't move it and let it cool off completely (might take a while, over an hour. e.g. open a window)
- Connect PS3, try if it boots again.
- get out any disc, deactivate the PSN account(s), manually copy your savegames, sync Trophies. Don't try to play games. Install newest firmware (for PSN) only if it is stable for at least 20 minutes.
- If the PS3 ylods again during these steps. Repeat the hairdryer stuff to get it working again.
- Extend the time (to unlimited even, while in XMB) by cooling the PS3 while it's on by pointing a relatively strong fan directly at the ventilation openings in the front.
- If the PS3 can stay in the XMB for a few hours w/o a shutdown, you can even do a backup (I did it with my PS3) or better, a complete transfer (We did it with my buddy's PS3) if you already have your new PS3 console around.

After that, you can still try to do a proper reflow by disassembling the PS3 or send it to a repair shop/Sony etc.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The only ways to get the disc out are to break the PS3 open, get it fixed by Sony and tell them its broken, or a third party.

No way to transfer saves.

Boney

Banned
cpp_is_king said:
SCome on, I don't know a single person with an Xbox who hasn't had an RROD, and those can come as early as a year after purchase. Average shelf life for a PS3 is much longer, so I don't know what you're talking about.
In this board we love the xbox and hate the the ps3

or was it the other way round?

Yeah - when my 60GB died I had to crack it open and then pull the optical drive apart. After using a heat gun and some thermal paste I got the system working again. So if you do go that route then you may as well go all the way.

RurouniZel

Hair dryer worked! Hallelujah! Disc saved, copying saves to USB drive now!

Thank you all for your help!!

Top Bottom