• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

66th Primetime Emmy Nominations Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Pretty much how I feel. I know it wouldn't have won for outstanding drama, but what the hell, I feel like the only person who realizes how good this show is sometimes. That would have hopefully gotten it the attention it deserves. It's every bit as good as people think Breaking Bad, True Detective, Game of Thrones, and House of Cards are.

I realize. I realize.

Maxim726X

I hope Breaking Bad doesn't clean up. The last half of season 5 was nowhere close to the quality of most of the others in the drama category.

So I guess we've come to the point where Breaking Bad got too popular, and now the internet needs to hate it.

Maybe? Only way I can make sense of what you just wrote.

True Detective was better than breaking bad this year

I'm rooting for:
Mcconaughey (Cranston will win)
Martin freeman
Aaron Paul (Landry should have been nominated instead though)
Julia Louis Dreyfus (the god)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did Adam Driver win anything for the first season of Girls? This season was a very good performance too, but that first season was unbeatable for him.

So I guess we've come to the point where Breaking Bad got too popular, and now the internet needs to hate it.

Makes you miss the "little show that could" days, huh? I can hardly remember the days when I was the only person who watched the show at work, before the show got too amazing to ignore.

Lmao that's kinda mean that they nominated everybody but kitsch for a normal heart. He somehow ended up giving the best performance in that movie

Philippo

No The Americans? Lead actors deserves something.

Wow@ Miniseries categories, i hope Fargo gets them all, but Sherlock and Luther are some mad competition.

Ashok

Banned
+1.

'Felina' is one of the best hours of television I've ever seen. Period. If Breaking Bad, Vince Gilligan, Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn, and Aaron Paul don't sweep, I'm done with life. For me, Breaking Bad is pretty much the only legit show at the Emmys this year. The only other drama I'd rank in league with Breaking Bad is Hannibal, and the Academy was too incompetent to nominate it.

What the hell do the Emmys have against Nick Offerman? He should win Best Supporting Actor in a comedy every single year and never even gets nominated. Is it political because his character is a Libertarian, but isn't a cartoon caricature of "evil conservatives"? If you're going to play a non-liberal in a comedy, do you have to go full-on Colbert to not offend the Hollywood elites?

Also, Emmy Rossum needs to be nominated too. Hell, even her name is EMMY.

ivysaur12

Banned
Aβydoς;120379564 said:
Every TV series is a soap opera

If he wants to bitch about not getting Emmy love, he should write a show that's worthy of being one of the top 6 greatest television dramas. It's not. It's a bad soap opera with a hyper masculine veneer that borrows from soaps like Dynasty and Desperate Housewives without being nearly as compelling.

EDIT: Kurt says this:

While other fucking shows that ran out of story three seasons ago, still get tagged to step up to the show.

Without a SHREAD of self-awareness.

If he wants to bitch about not getting Emmy love, he should write a show that's worthy of being one of the top 6 greatest television dramas. It's not. It's a bad soap opera with a hyper masculine veneer that borrows from soaps like Dynasty and Desperate Housewives without being nearly as compelling.

OK. For me season 6 was the best season of last year. See you in a few years when people realize that!

ivysaur12

Banned
Aβydoς;120380293 said:
OK. For me season 6 was the best season of last year. See you in a few years when people realize that!

It's the same story every season. Every year. Spinning wheels. That doesn't deserve any recognition.

BumRush

I could give it to either True Detective or Breaking Bad but that scene in True Detective with MM
at the projects with the loooong single shot take
was one of the most intense moments of TV I can remember...

Chris R

Breaking Bad is very very good.

But sorry, True Detective wins any category it's in this year. Shit was another fucking level. So glad Fargo is considered a miniseries.

I could give it to either True Detective or Breaking Bad but that scene in True Detective with MM
at the projects with the loooong single shot take
was one of the most intense moments of TV I can remember...
Yeah, that was really wild and intense, one of the greatest things I've seen on TV.

EDIT: Sons hasn't been top level for years IMO, Sutter fucking destroyed Jax's character after Season 1 and while it rebounded after the debacle of Season 3 a bit, it has never really hit top-shelf status again to me.

ivysaur12

Banned
Aβydoς;120380950 said:
LOL. I consider having a continuous storyline which calls back to past seasons and continuity better than press the reset button every September

If you can't notice the structural story problems in Sons that allow it to fall back on the same tricks that it does every single season, then I don't know what to say. It's a bad show.

There are very few dramatic changes that SOA makes that you couldn't do in a mediocre ABC soap.

If you can't notice the structural story problems in Sons that allow it to fall back on the same tricks that it does every single season, then I don't know what to say. It's a bad show.

There are very few dramatic changes that SOA makes that you couldn't do in a mediocre ABC soap.

I'd like to hear some examples, at this point. And no, "killing a character too late" is not one of them. Basically people hate SOA because they wanted to see
Clay's
face blow up one season earlier.

ivysaur12

Banned
Aβydoς;120381526 said:
I'd like to hear some examples, at this point. And no, "killing a character too late" is not one of them. Basically people hate SOA because they wanted to see
Clay's
face blow up one season earlier.

That's certainly part of it -- it's part of SOA's problem with playing it safe and not letting its story evolve in a natural manner because of a fear of doing anything different.

Jax is going to get out! Then he doesn't. Jax is going to leave! Then he doesn't. Jax is going to leave! Then doesn't. This lasted for 6 seasons with using every trick in the book that isn't an actual character-driven reason to keep Jax and Tara in Sons and in Charming. It's dumb. It's not a 7 season story. At best, it's a show with 4 years of material.

If he wants to get Emmy love, he should write something that's not so overstuffed with plot and thousands of characters that you can see the main villain of the season in episode 10 and be like, "wait who is that?"

tim.mbp

The biggest snub, was by far, for the Hollow Crown. It got nothing. Ben Whishaw was amazing, as was Simon Russell Beale. Tom Hiddleston and Jeremy Irons weren't bad either.

Blader

thankfully for true detective Breaking Bad was very inconsistent in its last 8 episodes.

seriously those of you rooting for breaking bad, did you actually watch it or is it just the hype talking?

Nope, actually nobody watched the last season of Breaking Bad, can you believe it? Literally not one person saw it and liked it, crazy isn't it.

That's certainly part of it -- it's part of SOA's problem with playing it safe and not letting its story evolve in a natural manner because of a fear of doing anything different.

Jax is going to get out! Then he doesn't. Jax is going to leave! Then he doesn't. Jax is going to leave! Then doesn't. This lasted for 6 seasons with using every trick in the book that isn't an actual character-driven reason to keep Jax and Tara in Sons and in Charming. It's dumb. It's not a 7 season story. At best, it's a show with 4 years of material.

If he wants to get Emmy love, he should write something that's not so overstuffed with plot and thousands of characters that you can see the main villain of the season in episode 10 and be like, "wait who is that?"

What? Jax getting out of the club in Season 4 you say? Oh that certainly would've been interesting. Because, you know, fuck the show, let's make him become a lumberjack in Canada that's much more interesting.
There is not a more character-driven TV series than SOA. Yep, there is not, believe it or not. It's a show about a man getting sucked in a world of power and violence. Sure it's and old thing, you know, it's based on Hamlet and Greek tragedy..
Doing something new like what kind of series? Bring examples. Breaking Bad? LOL (I love Breaking Bad by the way).
How can you not recognize the villain in SOA? You see them every episode. They're called Jax and Gemma.
SOA doesn't even have many characters really. And the casting is so good that you really need just one look at the actor to never forget his face: if you say otherwise you're lying and you know it.
The only criticism on which I agree is the ending of Season 4 being weak, that's undeniable. But not because "that character didn't die".

Yoda

House of Cards shouldn't be up there for best drama. Also I'd be willing to put money on Breaking Bad doing a clean sweep.

zma1013

That and Sons of Anarchy has too many broken promises. Things they allude to and forshadow end up turning into "LOL we gonna drop this plot point or draw this out," for no reason at all other than to be able to move on to the next season. Seasons 4 is guilty of the former while Season 5 is guilty of the latter. There's something to be said about a show that paints itself into corners and has no convincing way of getting out of them. I like the characters and I like the actors, but I don't like when it's made apparently obvious that a show is going on just for the sakes of going on. I'd rather a show be written out naturally to end when it should, than get stretched out and end whenever the executives feel like it's a good time to end it.

SamVimes

What the hell do the Emmys have against Nick Offerman? He should win Best Supporting Actor in a comedy every single year and never even gets nominated. Is it political because his character is a Libertarian, but isn't a cartoon caricature of "evil conservatives"? If you're going to play a non-liberal in a comedy, do you have to go full-on Colbert to not offend the Hollywood elites?
Chill out, he's playing a one note character. Not exactly the best way to show his acting range.

ivysaur12

Banned
Aβydoς;120383905 said:
What? Jax getting out of the club in Season 4 you say? Oh that certainly would've been interesting. Because, you know, fuck the show, let's make him become a lumberjack in Canada that's much more interesting.
There is not a more character-driven TV series than SOA. Yep, there is not, believe it or not. It's a show about a man getting sucked in a world of power and violence. Sure it's and old thing, you know, it's based on Hamlet and Greek tragedy..
Doing something new like what kind of series? Bring examples. Breaking Bad? LOL (I love Breaking Bad by the way).
How can you not recognize the villain in SOA? You see them every episode. They're called Jax and Gemma.
SOA doesn't even have many characters really. And the casting is so good that you really need just one look at the actor to never forget his face: if you say otherwise you're lying and you know it.
The only criticism on which I agree is the ending of Season 4 being weak, that's undeniable. But not because "that character didn't die".

If you like SOA, go crazy. But if you were to ask the entire staff of SOA if they thought that they were doing anything Emmy-worthy on Sons, the only person who would think so would be Kurt. Everything about SOA is repeating story beats from previous seasons without any character evolution or narrative subversion.

This is a story that's been done before. It's been done better. There are better versions of it on television right now. It's excessively mediocre, and that's why no one is really writing about the snub of SOA, and hasn't been for years. Because… it's not a very well-regarded show anymore.

That and Sons of Anarchy has too many broken promises. Things they allude to and forshadow end up turning into "LOL we gonna drop this plot point or draw this out," for no reason at all other than to be able to move on to the next season. Seasons 4 is guilty of the former while Season 5 is guilty of the latter. There's something to be said about a show that paints itself into corners and has no convincing way of getting out of them. I like the characters and I like the actors, but I don't like when it's made apparently obvious that a show is going on just for the sakes of going on. I'd rather a show be written out naturally to end when it should, than get stretched out and end whenever the executives feel like it's a good time to end it.

No, it's KURT that feels like it's a story that needs to go 7 seasons. And that's why it's so hilarious that he talks about other shows that ran out of story -- where is his self-awareness?

Ashok

Banned
thankfully for true detective Breaking Bad was very inconsistent in its last 8 episodes.

seriously those of you rooting for breaking bad, did you actually watch it or is it just the hype talking?

Breaking Bad was a 62 hour magnum opus with a final season that had WEIGHT. Compared to 'Ozymandias', I found every episode of True Detective rather forgettable. I never cared about Hart or Cohle the same way I cared about Jesse or Walt after spending 60 hours with them. True Detective was basically just a slightly longer Hollywood movie. Way too short, flashy, and "cinematic" for me. It was decent for what it was but Breaking Bad wins for me just because it dared to actually evolve its cast and characters through long-form storytelling.

If you like SOA, go crazy. But if you were to ask the entire staff of SOA if they thought that they were doing anything Emmy-worthy on Sons, the only person who would think so would be Kurt. Everything about SOA is repeating story beats from previous seasons without any character evolution or subverted.

This is a story that's been done before. It's been done better. There are better versions of it on television right now. It's excessively mediocre, and that's why no one is really writing about the snub of SOA, and hasn't been for years. Because… it's not a very well-regarded show anymore.

Well, OK. I hoped this would've turn out in a more interesting discussion.

I can't believe why Sutter doesn't understand why SOA isn't nominated. That show is spinning your wheels 101. I still watch and enjoy it but lets be real.

Fjordson

Yeah, really hope BB doesn't win it. Probably will, though. As a send off for the show.

Like, fuck off, dude.
Oh wow I just read that write up from him. So rich. What are these other shows? I would love to hear his actual opinion on SPECIFIC shows rather than his generalizations that don't seem to apply to anyone but his own show. I need to hear him speak about specific shows so I can know if he is truly delusional or sipping his own koolaid at dangerous levels.

SOA is like the opposite of natural story progression. Unnatural things happen just to keep the story from progressing naturally.

Out of all the nominees the one I liked the most was House of Cards anyway (with Mad Men as runner-up and probably the actually superior one).
Haven't watched Downton Abbey because for some reason I have a strong prejudice against that show.
True Detective was extremely good but doesn't belong there.
Game Of Thrones is season 3 right? That season with only a good twist near the end and nothing else? K.
Breaking Bad is Breaking Bad, a great show with a nice but unbalanced ending.

Anyway, the distribution is messy as shit. True Detective is a series and Treme is a miniseries (I get all the "only 5 episodes" stuff but come on). At least maybe it'll finally win what it deserves (oh yes, Treme was last year's secret gem. No wait the last few years' secret gem).
Orange Is The New Black a comedy? LOL why? Seems like the Emmy dudes weren't convinced it had the polish to be with the best dramas, so they put it in the (obviously) less important group.
Louie is the best "comedy" of the year anyway.

Just tired of BB getting a free ride because it's BB. The last season wasn't that good compared to many other shows. I hope that those who say "BB should win" have seen most of the other nominated shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom