• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 years ago Sony made the biggest roast in gaming history

martino

It would have been better if they weren't planning the same thing before seeing the reaction to MS.

giphy.gif

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
& I believe that was what the cool kids refer to as "ether"

But seriously, that video was funny & there was no possible response from Xbox. They just had to take it on the chin.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier

Birdo

Banned
hmm I wonder

There were insiders at the time that were saying otherwise. If I remember correctly.

It's kind of crazy how many people forgot all the drama about it. Same with the original PS3 DRM that was removed before release.

nordique

I will never forget. Back then, the Canadian Dollar was still on par with the USD as well

Picked up my PS4 with that sweet trade in deal months earlier for BB gift cards. It blew my mind how a smaller, more powerful console was 100$ cheaper than the competition.

Honestly, I felt MS lost it with me back then - yes I loved my PS3 and the exclusives, but multi plat games I used my 360 because of the performance and controller preference...it was my primary console. Was shocked when they announced the forced Kinect and DRM stuff. I am not really a platform fan, I just like games, but Playstation has always been synonymous with games for me so it was also a nice return to form for the PS4, and "going back" to a Playstation system as my primary console felt nice too. But oh man did Microsoft shoot themselves in the foot with a canon ball.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
There were insiders at the time that were saying otherwise. If I remember correctly.

It's kind of crazy how many people forgot all the drama about it. Same with the original PS3 DRM that was removed before release.

I believe what Andrew House says and reliable sources not INSIDERS .. so there is no excuse for what MS attended to do and I believe that Sony save the day not only for PS fans but also Xbox players

LostDonkey

And Sony, the kings of awful DRM, were hailed heros by the genius gaming community.

At the time of that video they still had those awful "online passes" lol.. the only first party to do that.

People want to erase that from memory. Charging to play online if you bought a used game because they said it would take up more room on the server or some bullshit.

What a joke.

Uusis

Banned
that's totally different, MS wanted to end the used games market, you can't trade the physical game or resell it, but now Sony is just giving you an option (same with MS did with digital only)
I bought one game on disc to ps4 (dad of war (great game!), 50€ new and sold it after a month for 15€ because couldn't get better price, so not worth it). With BC I can play my Xbox 360 games on XSX even with better FPS and added HDR. And with ps5, I could play my digital ps4 copies after downloading, but with disc I still need to install it and download patches to play so still not worth it. Digital is the way and games on physical media should fade away.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
And now they will have an all digital edition which will certainly be fine since it's Sony. Same for the size of the console when one of the fucking strange complaints about Xbox consoles is THEY'RE TOO BIG FOR JAPANESE APARTMENTS.

Funny how times change.

Far different to have a digital only console along side a traditional disc one than what MS initially announced last gen. Size I agree on. PS5 size and design is pretty off putting and has me hoping it fits horizontally on the shelf I have my PS4 on and thinking of painting the semi-transparent glass doors black to keep it fully out of sight when not in use. XSX is ugly and too big too IMO, but is at least black and would be mostly invisible behind those doors like my other black components and PS4 (since the stand and shelving is black).

Zero7

It was a great moment, but you can't tell me Sony wouldn't have included their own DRM if people were fin with MS including it.

Sentenza

Oh, I remember this one.
It was when they managed to announce paid online and make people cheer them as heroes.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

It really is, its also the reason why I hate all the moaning from Sony fans when Xbox reps throw digs at Sony as it will probably never come close to this diss. Just absolute savagery.

Fbh

On the one hand this shit was funny.
On the other hand it's still a bit sad that MS screwed up so badly early this gen that they basically allowed Sony to announce paid multiplayer with little to no pushback from customers.

And now they will have an all digital edition which will certainly be fine since it's Sony.

Yeah it's totally because it's Sony and has literally nothing to do with the fact the digital only console is optional and there's also a regular one that supports discs.

Sony today, just made Spiderman : Miles Morales Digital Only.

No they didn't? Do you have any source on that?
All they announced is that the remaster of the original Ps4 Spiderman Will be digital only.

Last edited:

onQ123

Not even close the Nintendo vs Sega days was all out war then the PlayStation came in with Crash pulling up to Nintendo asking Plumber boy to step outside.

onQ123

Last edited:
Top Bottom