• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Dragon III – Code: VFD |OT| Of Seiyuus and Seiryuus

Nachos

pwhmM6T.png

Platform: 3DS (retail and digital)
Genre: Turn-Based RPG
Developer: Sega
Publishers: Sega (NA and JP), Deep Silver (EU)
Release Dates: July 12, 2016 (NA); TBA (EU); October 15, 2015 (JP)
Demo Available: Yes
MSRP: $39.99 (USD), $54.99 (CDN), $747.70 (MXN), TBA (EU)
ESRB Rating: T (Fantasy Violence, Language, Mild Blood, Suggestive Themes)
PEGI Rating: TBA
Block Size: 12,745 Blocks/1.55GB (Demo is 2,037 Blocks/254.6MB)
Text Language: English
Audio Language: Japanese
Extra Links: English Website, Japanese Website

WeTQlKK.png

In the year 2100, Japan teeters on collapse. Its government unable to lead, its jurisdiction has been seized by the International Self-Defense Force, who toil to restore the country to its former glory. Amidst these efforts, however, the source of the nation's ruin – the dragons – rears their maws once more. These creatures herald the end of planets throughout the galaxy, and though their attempts on Earth's life have been foiled twice now, the toll has left Japan too enfeebled to fight. But when all seems lost, a video game development company (yup), Nodens Enterprises, discovers the key to repeling the nearing invasion. By traveling throughout time – from present-day Tokyo to ancient Atlantis to futuristic Eden – the group may be able to muster new forces and develop new power, that the dragons can be quelled once and for all. They'll need all the help they can get, as the dread 7th True Dragon, code-named VFD, will soon appear to plunge the Earth into graver bedlam.

kLtAkyM.png

The core battle system of 7th Dragon – Code: VFD is relatively standard compared to other turn-based RPGs. Each combatant takes their turn in succesion, with the core player party consisting of three members. However, the acxtive player party can have up to nine members at once, with the other six split into two teams of three. These teams can provide Support Skills for the main party; can have their members cooperate with members of the main party to use Buddy Skills; or, in certain situations, join with the rest of the main party to use nine skills at once as part of a Unison Skill.

Outside of battle, though, you can pursue a number of quests, develop the facilities in your base further, go on dates with NPCs, or go to a cat cafe to restore the party. Said cat cafe will also be the new home of various cats you can find throughout the game – courageous and cuddly survivors of the dragon's onslaught.

Rx08A74.png

7th Dragon boasts a high degree of character customization, allowing you to freely change a class' portrait (even to those from other classes), color scheme (from presets), and voice (from 40 Japanese voice actors, 20 per gender).

CLASSES:
Sct2W0I.png

Well-rounded physical attackers who can specialize in single-blade or dual-blade disciplines.

buo6MUm.png

Physical powerhouses able to provide healing, buffs, and debuffs.

SCQWUS7.png

Tech-savvy gunslingers able to inflict status ailments, disrupt enemy formations, and deploy traps. (Also, both male protraits are wearing Jet Set Radio Future shirts.)

fIgYHsD.png

Summoners who rely on the luck of the draw, either top-decking into catastrophic power or dead-drawing into a useless tools.

qm0ZMIG.png

Indomitable defenders able to wield arcane blades, while reinforcing the party with healing and defensive buffs.

Qn2ldGG.png

Plaguemasters who can inflict a bevy of ailments and exploit them to deal heavy physical damage – at the expense of their own fragility.

qYmev34.png

Spellcasters who can bend the natural elements to their whims, while also offering supplemental healing.

XBQl7Cp.png

Human fortresses who make tactical use of explosives to penetrate enemy defenses while being sure not to leave themselves vulnerable while reloading.

VOICE CAST:
wUzD29f.png

*Note, however, that Aki Toyosaki, Miyuki Sawashiro, Keiji Fujiwara, Yuichi Nakamura, Ai Kayano, Asami Seto, Akira Ishida, Saori Hayami, Yuki Kaji, Tomokazu Sugita, Marina Inoue, Yui Horie, and Yukari Tamura are already confirmed to be voicing major NPCs, as well.

qkgd9wc.png

Announcement Trailer
Dragon Trailer
Time Travel Trailer
E3 Trailer
Full Trailer (whatever that means)
Character Creation Overview
Battle System Overview

OmzWQEe.png

Sega has announced that each piece of DLC will be free during the respective week of its release. Afterwards, it will return to the listed price:

July 12, 2016: Nagamimi Doll. Free. Adds a talking Nagamimi doll to the dormitory.
July 12, 2016: Seed Outbreak! $1.49. An opportunity to fight Dragonsbane seeds for experience and cash.
July 12, 2016: Gold Rabi Outbreak! $1.49. An opportunity to fight Gold Rabi for experience and cash.
July 19, 2016: Code: Student! $1.99. A chance to recruit 7th Dragon 2020’s Samurai.
July 19, 2016: Code: Otaku! $1.99. A chance to recruit 7th Dragon 2020’s hacker.
July 19, 2016: Code: Lucier! $1.99. A chance to recruit 7th Dragon 2020’s Lucier.
July 26, 2016: To My Beloved Unit 13. $1.49. Earn ultimate weapons for each class and get a Blaster Raven character (will only appear after completing the main game).
July 26, 2016: Allie’s Death March. $1.49. A boss rush quest, with all enemies at their maximum levels.

MPSoH7J.png

Sterok has made a review thread, which you can find here.

rx1xOft.png

Q. So this is the third game in the series? Do I need to play the others first, considering they never released outside Japan?
A. This is the fourth, actually, following 7th Dragon (NDS), 7th Dragon 2020 (PSP), and 7th Dragon 2020-II (PSP). Despite this, though, any connections to the previous games are largely references.

Q. Is there any way to play the previous games in English?
A. Ponytax/Cavespeak has released fan translations of the first two games, which you can get here (original) and here (2020). In addition, the fan translation of the NDS game features a rom-hack "USA mode," which rebalances the game to require much less grinding and to make it more challenging.

Q. Is there an point to playing the demo if I'm already sold on the full game?
A. The demo lets you train a party to lvel 10, and gives you bonus items if you transfer your data to the full version. Unfortunately, you can't change the classes of the party members provided to different ones (i.e., changing a level 10 samurai to a level 10 agent), but you can freely change the appearance, coloring, and voice of a party member at any time. You can unlock the ability to change a party member's class, but it works on a per-member basis and only becomes available once they reach level 30.

Q. Are there any pre-order or first-print bounuses?
A. No pre-order bonuses, but all first-print copies come with a collectible box and 28-page art book sampler.
NlUZGCd.png

Oh hey I didn't know about the preorder bonus but considering the publisher and platform I should have expected it, haha.

I played the demo and the game seemed interesting enough, though I felt like I was sort of thrown into things and didn't have much options and information regarding classing so I'm looking forward to it in the full game.

I'll be playing tomorrow! :)

spiritfox

That banner.

Finally I can talk about the game. I've been playing for the past few days, currently at chapter 5. I'm really enjoying the battle system, the support parties are a great idea that I hope we see again somewhere else. The game is pretty easy, and the story is just kinda there, but the combat is great.

I'm still annoyed that there are 9 slots but 8 character classes, though it does make sense to double up on certain classes since their support skills complement themselves.

BTW it's Nodens, not Noodens :p

That banner.

Finally I can talk about the game. I've been playing for the past few days, currently at chapter 5. I'm really enjoying the battle system, the support parties are a great idea that I hope we see again somewhere else. The game is pretty easy, and the story is just kinda there, but the combat is great.

I'm still annoyed that there are 9 slots but 8 character classes, though it does make sense to double up on certain classes since their support skills complement themselves.

well, samurai has 2 different weapons/skill sets.... clearly they want players to have 2 samurais! :p

RK128

This is a fantastic OP; honestly didn't expect to see Trogdor XD!

But I loved the demo and when I get enough money, will get the full game on my 3DS at some point in the future. It looks great, sounds awesome and lots of little touches for SEGA fans (one of the hacker units is a homage to Beat form Jet Set Radio); looking forward to playing this and surprised SEGA localized this one.

I know Atlus is the one that did the localization work but still, nice to see this one get localized.

ohlawd

tracking says I'm getting the game tomorrow yay

I have an hour's worth of playtime in the demo and it's fun.

RedBoot

I didn't read up on this game much, just finally getting a game in the series was enough for me to preorder it. So I'm a bit surprised and delighted that there's essentially a Yugioh class. :p

Also liking that the game makes use of a lot of party members. I love creating my entire team in RPGs, but it's always a shame when games only really require you to use 4-6 of them.

nikos

Great OT!

Looking forward to picking this up. It has caught my eye each time I've seen it posted. Its art style is wonderful, which makes it one of the better looking 3DS games I've played.

The demo was really well put together. I didn't feel like I was wasting time, since the save file, and bonus items, will carry over. Even though it was pretty generic in terms of gameplay, something about it felt different; sort of nostalgic, even. It must be that SEGA feeling that I have not experienced in a long time.

I noticed that store pickup is not available at Best Buy. Really hoping they have it tomorrow so that I can take advantage of GCU.

Nachos

Whoops, figured something slipped through.

Everyone's free to let me know if there are anymore typos, though. Everything in the OT right now was made just today, so I'm sure there's a few other mistakes to fix. And even though I started it Friday, the banner image isn't done yet, and might not be posted until tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Nice OP! Trogdor must stay in the final header though.
I'll figure out a way to sneak it in.

Parham

Banned
I haven't played an honest-to-god JRPG in ages. I ordered the game from Amazon on a lark a few months ago and plan on playing the demo tonight. Anything I should know going into the game?

Edit: Come to think of it, the last traditional JRPG I played might've been FFX on the PS2.

Ranmo

Got my amazon shipment earlier today (just got home).

Art book is alright, I mean its free, so I can't say I expected much. The front and back cover have portraits of various character appearances, which is pretty cool I guess.
Sorry for the top crop, didn't realize i had a note that close by, and just did a quick crop.

vsgmzfZ.jpg

CrovaxPSO

Glad one of these finally got localized, I hope my copy comes early tomorrow. Heard a lot of good things about this one and the series in general. I liked the demo a lot and can't wait to make my own party.

Seda

The chapter 5 boss is super great.

Really like the character designs, but I keep hearing none of the sequels are as good as the first...

The first game is a bit different than the following three. It's the only one with a world map, has more typical sidequests (rather than just the missions that 2020s and III have), a good bit of non-linearity and several optional areas too. It does have some major annoyances, like Dragonbane acting basically like poison swamps basically everywhere. The classes are also a bit more typical, although not bad.

Code VFD is in the same vein as the 2020 duology, where it's quite a bit more streamlined: selecting a dungeon from a list, clearing it, and upgrading your home base in between chapters and such.

We can expect this to live on the eShop in the morning, I'm guessing?

I've been looking forward to this for some time and I'm keen to get to grips with it.

preta

I was under the impression that this game is considered pretty much braindead easy, and the demo did nothing to dispel these fears. Is it really true? Because I like what I've played otherwise.

Seda

I was under the impression that this game is considered pretty much braindead easy, and the demo did nothing to dispel these fears. Is it really true? Because I like what I've played otherwise.

I thought it was pretty darn easy outside of a few boss fights, but others thought otherwise. I guess YMMV.

spiritfox

It's not difficult, but unless you're using broken set ups it's not a cakewalk outside of standard mobs.

I'm glad we're finally getting a 7th Dragon game.

I'll buy it eventually, but I'm still broke from the Steam and PSN mid year sales ( ;_;)

Dragon the Line.

Anyway, I got my Amazon pre-order paid, but sadly it'll be here after the initial free DLC period at the earliest. :/

Question. Is the major dragon in 2020-II Tiamat in the game? Looked really cool in footage of that game so I hope he is.

Feel free to announce that European release date any time now, Deep Silver. Looking forward this.

Don't count on it being out anytime soon. atlusprime said the deal was only just signed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209422777&postcount=36

By the by, any idea how big the eShop version is, based on the JP version? I can probably fit it on my SD card no problem, but it pays to be sure!

CrazyHal

So this game is pretty easy? That's a shame. I like my turn base rpg's to be challenging.

Anyway, i'll be getting Monster Hunter Generations this week. Will get this later on. I liked what I played in the demo.

knkng

Always heard about these 7th Dragon games, so I'm pretty excited to finally get the chance to play one of them! Gonna download from the eShop sometime later today (oof, that Canadian price, though).

Question about the DLC for anyone who has the game already. I'm still finishing up Tokyo Mirage Sessions right now, so I might not get to start this game until late in the week. I'd still like to get the DLC while it's free, though. Can you just buy it directly from the main menu, or do you have to play through a certain amount of the game before you get access to it?

spiritfox

Always heard about these 7th Dragon games, so I'm pretty excited to finally get the chance to play one of them! Gonna download from the eShop sometime later today (oof, that Canadian price, though).

Question about the DLC for anyone who has the game already. I'm still finishing up Tokyo Mirage Sessions right now, so I might not get to start this game until late in the week. I'd still like to get the DLC while it's free, though. Can you just buy it directly from the main menu, or do you have to play through a certain amount of the game before you get access to it?

It's directly from the main menu.

I really wanna buy this on the week of release but I'm not even halfway done with Bravely Second and I Am Setsuna is dropping soon ... wish I had such problems more often

Got the Demo for the bonuses and I'm glad I did. This game feels like an "easier" cross between Etrian Odyssey and the games that Rieko Kodama is (maybe?) most beloved/famous for, Phantasy Star. The Demo really soothed that part of me that loves SciFi elements in JRPGs. There are also interesting (Suikoden-like?) home base mechanics, which are explained but don't unlock in the Demo, so I'm interested to explore that later today when the full game arrives.

Just curious, do you get two Dolls if you do the Demo and nab the Free DLC? Speaking of the DLC, what's up with "chance" to recruit guys and stuff? Can you permanently fail any of the DLC missions and miss out, or can you keep trying until you get it?

Major "pros" have already been well covered, I feel. Also, is difficulty level is adjustable any time in the full game? Any penalties for that?

One major "con" so far is the fact that you are given dialogue "choices" that are pretty much the same thing/always have the same outcome? This kinda blows, but I imagine it plays into Relationships/Dating later.

Julietta is causing OP damage
to my heart

spiritfox

Got the Demo for the bonuses and I'm glad I did. This game feels like an "easier" cross between Etrian Odyssey and the games that Rieko Kodama is (maybe?) most beloved/famous for, Phantasy Star. The Demo really soothed that part of me that loves SciFi elements in JRPGs. There are also interesting (Suikoden-like?) home base mechanics, which are explained but don't unlock in the Demo, so I'm interested to explore that later today when the full game arrives.

Just curious, do you get two Dolls if you do the Demo and nab the Free DLC? Speaking of the DLC, what's up with "chance" to recruit guys and stuff? Can you permanently fail any of the DLC missions and miss out, or can you keep trying until you get it?

Major "pros" have already been well covered, I feel. Also, is difficulty level is adjustable any time in the full game? Any penalties for that?

One major "con" so far is the fact that you are given dialogue "choices" that are pretty much the same thing/always have the same outcome? This kinda blows, but I imagine it plays into Relationships/Dating later.

Julietta is causing OP damage
to my heart

I managed to download the doll DLC but I only have one doll, unless I'm missing it. The "recruit" DLCs are just additional portraits. They don't even unlock additional classes.

spiritfox

Jesus Christ this boss for Chapter 5.

Edit: Alright it's not so bad now that I know what to prepare for. Cool boss though.

Linkark07

Banned
Hopefully this arrives here this week for get that free DLC. Today to Florida, with luck Thursday or Friday here.

A maid God Hand is joining my party for sure.

spiritfox

Hopefully this arrives here this week for get that free DLC. Today to Florida, with luck Thursday or Friday here.

A maid God Hand is joining my party for sure.

God Hand's damage output can get pretty insane. Too bad Banisher and Rune Knight are now overtaking her.

Top Bottom