• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Dragon III – Code: VFD |OT| Of Seiyuus and Seiryuus

Having Quartetto reset enemy G seems like a pretty effective way to nerf Destroyers. Though them be Maids/Butlers in this game makes up for it.

first thing i did after transferring over my demo save was change everyone to fit my tastes

man all those seiyuu choices are amazing

Meffer

Oh don't buy the DLC that's not priced for free right now. They noticed the mistake and are looking to fix the issue.

How do you customize the characters you used in the demo when you transfer the save file to the main game?

I'm sure you can do this in more places, but I went back to the party terminal in that 7th place and choose status and you can change them to however you like

nikos

Just picked it up at Best Buy. Box is surprisingly in good condition. Looking forward to starting tonight.

Meffer

This is a damn good RPG. All the classes feel unique and function differently from each other. The music is great. The menu and the sounds they use for selecting things feels good. And the battle animations are so damn good. The art and overall designs are great too. One of the contenders for best RPG on the 3DS this and that's saying something.

Neoweee

just started this. love the music!!

This is a damn good RPG. All the classes feel unique and function differently from each other. The music is great. The menu and the sounds they use for selecting things feels good. And the battle animations are so damn good. The art and overall designs are great too. One of the contenders for best RPG on the 3DS this and that's saying something.

Music really sold me on the game. The soundtrack is exceptional, and it really pushed me over the edge into buying it. So many quality tracks.

pariah164

Shit. This game slipped right the fuck under my radar. Dungeon crawler? Yes please. Will probably download this for my trip.

Also, that OT banner is the best thing ever.

I wasn't fully sold on this after the demo and even after a few hours into the full game.
But now more plot things are happening and I've hunted some dragons and customized my party and learned what all they can do now and in the future.
I'm liking it a lot.

My copy should be arriving at the end of the week. I want to dig in to this one as soon as I get it.

Other games will remain in the backlog for now.

I've been waiting forever to get a localized 7th Dragon and I'm loving it.

What's funny is I actually prefer the chibi-esque polygons to the character art. They just have such cute personality.

Really liking the classes and battle systems and the fact that though it has dungeon crawler blood, it treats itself like a jRPG with the fact that it isn't first person and the scenes are all in game and not presented like a static visual novel scene.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love dungeon crawlers; but it's nice to see a game take elements of that that are enjoyable and give a bit more heft to plot and characters and the things that a jRPG brings to the fold.

Really really liking this game a lot.

pariah164

I've been waiting forever to get a localized 7th Dragon and I'm loving it.

What's funny is I actually prefer the chibi-esque polygons to the character art. They just have such cute personality.

Really liking the classes and battle systems and the fact that though it has dungeon crawler blood, it treats itself like a jRPG with the fact that it isn't first person and the scenes are all in game and not presented like a static visual novel scene.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love dungeon crawlers; but it's nice to see a game take elements of that that are enjoyable and give a bit more heft to plot and characters and the things that a jRPG brings to the fold.

Really really liking this game a lot.
Okay, I'm sold.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix is relegated to the back burner yet again.

RedBoot

Nice to see Kazuya Nakai available for my Samurai (dual-blade, of course).

Still early on in the game (limited to the three person party), but I'm liking it. Each class kind of has its own little mechanics (the single/dual blade choices for Samurai, G accumulation for Godhand, and the card drawing for Duelist). Almost makes me think of applying BlazBlue's design to an RPG.

My only real complaint is that the dungeons are kind of hard to navigate visually, but I guess that's what the map on the second screen is for. :p

The aesthetic is certainly eye-catching, but I've never personally heard of this franchise before and the OP seems a bit vague. Between the pleasant aesthetic and relatively high review scores, though, gonna check and see if this might be a game I'm interested in grabbing...

tuffymon

I had never heard of it either, but looking at how you can make your own party, the customization of the choices (visuals/voices), graphics, and learn moves... The game gave me a very big etrian odyssey vibe, which Atlus also makes. I figured with the 20% off Amazon gives, for $32 I'll try it, and so far (I'm very early game), I'm not disappointed

spiritfox

7D was created by the same person who created EO (Niinou), so there will be many similarities. 2020 onwards is handled by Rieko Kodama, who is responsible for greats like Phantasy Star 4 and Skies of Arcadia. It's a great series that unfortunately never made it over here due to circumstances.

7D was created by the same person who created EO (Niinou), so there will be many similarities. 2020 onwards is handled by Rieko Kodama, who is responsible for greats like Phantasy Star 4 and Skies of Arcadia. It's a great series that unfortunately never made it over here due to circumstances.

Actually. Niinou also directed 2020. 2020-II was by Dai Oba and Masayuki Kawabata (Dai Oba went on to direct Stella Glow) and Masayuki Kawabata went solo for 7th Dragon III.

I had never heard of it either, but looking at how you can make your own party, the customization of the choices (visuals/voices), graphics, and learn moves... The game gave me a very big etrian odyssey vibe, which Atlus also makes. I figured with the 20% off Amazon gives, for $32 I'll try it, and so far (I'm very early game), I'm not disappointed

The original 7th Dragon was headed up by the same man who headed up the first Etrian Odyssey, Kazuya Niinou.

Apparently he's over at Square working on FF14 now... and FF14 is going to be getting a multi-level dungeon thing in a week. Hmm...

Anyway, I am also enjoying this tremendously. I was vaguely aware of it beforehand, but I never thought we'd actually see one of them come over, especially after Imageepoch folded. That we've gotten this at all feels like a miracle. It's a shame we will almost certainly never, ever see the previous 7D games, simply because there's actually a whole ton of plot links in 7D III to the previous titles.

Still hoping the support party gets unlocked soon, because having only three party members does feel a little awkward (I want mah godhand butler to be around for backup!) but the gameplay is a ton of fun so far. We'll have to see on the difficulty, too - I haven't had a proper party wipe yet, but I feel like that's come down in large part to luck. The normal enemies are pretty easy, but the dragons are goddamn brutal.

Some of the music is putting me in mind of Chrono Trigger (in Chapter 2). Other tracks are more SciFi with a Phantasy Star vibe. I tend not to notice music in games much unless the soundtrack is very good or just abysmal, and this one is very good.

Really enjoying the gameplay so far. The map navigation was trying at first, but I've found that primarily focusing on the top screen with occasional referential glances to the bottom screen works better for me than trying to track them both at once.

It is nice of them to give the EXP/SP/AZ missions for free during this week, as those are the ones most essential for grinding, if anyone's in the mood for that. It doesn't seem like something that's necessary at all early on, but I'm sure things will get harder.

Agent SP costs are through the roof.

Parham

Banned
Is there a way to change the classes of the party members I imported from the demo? That option seems to be disabled on the terminal.

Nachos

The aesthetic is certainly eye-catching, but I've never personally heard of this franchise before and the OP seems a bit vague. Between the pleasant aesthetic and relatively high review scores, though, gonna check and see if this might be a game I'm interested in grabbing...
I'll be honest: I couldn't find that much meaningful release info on the game in English, but is there anything you'd like to see added to the first post?

Is there a way to change the classes of the party members I imported from the demo? That option seems to be disabled on the terminal.
If you place the cursor over the Class option, you may notice that you can't do that until reaching level 30.

I'm not sure if there are any benefits to doing so (like in Dragon Quest IX for example) since you can just make whatever characters you like and delete the ones you don't.

spiritfox

If you place the cursor over the Class option, you may notice that you can't do that until reaching level 30.

I'm not sure if there are any benefits to doing so (like in Dragon Quest IX for example) since you can just make whatever characters you like and delete the ones you don't.

You get to pass on stats from lvl 40 onwards. They stack so you can continually reclass and gain more stats. Not that you need to break the game any further.

Thoraxes

Picked it up yesterday.

Hoping to start it a little before MHG on Friday, heh. Either way, totally pumped to eventually go through it!

I'll be honest: I couldn't find that much meaningful release info on the game in English, but is there anything you'd like to see added to the first post?

No, I'm finding my search for media to be a little disappointing. There's some YouTube users that have uploaded reviews and impressions but it looks like the small offering of reviews from the review thread (which is linked) and the demo are the best we've got here in the West right now. The YouTube stuff is kinda lacking. Kind of hope some of the bigger publications are getting on it too, not necessarily because I think they're an authoritative source, but because I want to see how this does outside of some smaller enthusiast sites.

Can someone give me the run down on Skills ? The manual mentions Samurai using stance changing skills but I can't see any Stance Change skills in their skill list, just 2 skills that are Unsheathed.

Is there some kind of research / quests you have to do to unlock class skills ? And isn't it a bit weird to hide key character skills ?

Top Bottom