• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-10GB PSP2 coming later this year?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
P90 said:
Is it too little too late?
For what, a bigger chunk of the market? It's worth noting that the iPod didn't exactly light the world on fire in it's first couple of years on the market (selling less than 2 million units) until all of the pieces fell into place - hitting the right price/capacity ratios, bringing accessibility to both Mac and PC users, fully streamlining iTunes to be not just a music management app but a content delivery service as well, etc.

Some people like to laugh about Sony calling the PSP their Walkman for the 21st century, but they fail to acknowledge that the Walkman, like the iPod, did not take the world by storm based on the very first model released. Evolution of both product lines was necessary to key into wider acceptance. If some of these things come to pass that have been rumored or announced for the PSP (more compact model + built-in flash storage + cohesive digital content delivery system), I wouldn't write off their chances for greater market penetration.

make psp at 333/166mhz
make psp lighter with chips shrink
make ms pro duo very cheap
make their online connect live
make a 3200mah battery
make umd games cache to ms
make umd movies dirt cheap

so easy no sweat

psp2 way to go sony to break the trust.

firefoxsux said:
make psp at 333/166mhz
make psp lighter with chips shrink
make ms pro duo very cheap
make their online connect live
make a 3200mah battery
make umd movies dirt cheap

so easy no sweat

psp2 way to go sony to break the trust

?

All those things sound like a positive...or am I misunderstanding you?

Mmmkay

Arde0 said:
?

All those things sound like a positive...or am I misunderstanding you?
He's saying that all those features should be in the PSP1 and not left to be fixed by the PSP2.

Mmmkay said:
He's saying that all those features should be in the PSP1 and not left to be fixed by the PSP2.

Oh ok....I understand the point. It is a good one as well...except all those things can be done with the current PSP as well by Sony. Essentially the form factor would change with a PSP2 that would diiferentiate it from PSP (internal Flash mem would also do that)....the other things could be done with firmware updates, different pricing structure, and better software from Sony.

A PSP with built-in NAND is a neat idea, but ultimately unnecessary. The price of Memory Stick Duos have been dropping quickly.

As for a PSP with Touch Screen... not gonna happen

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm more inclined to think this has to be just the original with internal storage, but I do keep wondering if Sony's new design contract with nVidia could be related at all..

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Sounds like an unsubstantiated rumour to me. Especially with much larger memory sticks on the way.

Mrbob

The Value Pack has been slowly phased out, right? This could be the value pack replacement.

Doesn't sound like PSP2, but more like PSP revision 2. If Sony wants to add a second analog onto the design, it shouldn't be a problem. Developers can make two control schemes.

Mrbob

I dunno, I don't think it is bullshit. Sony implemented a dual shock controller mid life for PS1. Why wait for PSP2 (Which I don't think we'll see until 2009-2010)?

Mau ®

It'll be more like PSPslim or PSPlite. A new portable this soon is suicide, the PSP is not gonna recoup its R&D and its selling healthy enough across all regions (even in Japan its doing decent enough). Software sales are mediocre but that's because of lack of good titles during the summer.

A slimmer, with 8-10 GB PSP would sell me on the PSP again. This year is not happening though, they will already have issues keeping up with initial supply of PS3. I can't imagine them having enough resources to pull a PSPslim.

Next year during late spring or summer sounds ideal. The PSP wouldbe 2 year old by then.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mmmmkay said:
But the market leader has a proven track record that in portable market, users WANT half assed products with at least yearly redesigns, and they'll gobble it all up, especially if each fixed revision still has at least one new flaw.

That would make Sony just playing follow the leader, no? :p

DCharlie said:
i assume by PSP2 they really mean PSP1.1.
HDD + OLED FTW!!
Or something.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
...I'd be happy with a new PSP design that has a good analog nub and a good d-pad. Ain't buying a PSP until those get fixed.

Built-in memory and a STREAMLINED way of moving content between the PC and the PSP would be nice, too.

f@luS

More than a member.
firefoxsux said:
make psp at 333/166mhz
make a 3200mah battery

so easy no sweat

psp2 way to go sony to break the trust.

done already

MrNibbles

Banned
I don't think it's worth the R&D $ to make a revised PSP.
Americans won't buy it when they already have their PSPs, and when this sucker will cost more $.
The PSP is dead in Japan.
Games will still have to be PSP compatible.

Sony should wait 2 years, and get the PSP done right.
It WILL have: Camera, microphone, touch screen.
It NEEDS: Games, hard drive (or large flash memory), and NO UMD movies.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I don't think it's worth the R&D $ to make a revised PSP.

how big ARE these costs? you might need some software tweaks, but what they might do is just put in the hdd and then upgrade the screen.

It WILL have: Camera, microphone, touch screen.
not sure i care about these - the most interesting of these (touch screen) is fine and dandy on the DS, but let the PSP cut it's own niche

It NEEDS: Games, hard drive (or large flash memory), and NO UMD movies.

just the first one i think - and i'd say it needs a second analogue nub.

If it's a redesign .... I don't think you can do things like add a touchscreen or a second analog nub (I don't think Sony even cares about this for starters).

That would have to be a new system entirely, because then you'd leave people with games that aren't playable on the older PSP models and it'd be a disaster.

The Dual Shock controller for the PSOne isn't comparable, because you could buy a new controller for $30 for anywhere.

Xiaoki

Do we absolutely HAVE to have a PSP redesign rumor every 3 months?
Is this how people determine the changing of the seasons now?

"Oh, look another PSP redesign rumor, it must be the first day autumn then."

If you want internal memory, touch screen and a second analog nub(and maybe a waffle maker) I suggest waiting for the real PSP2, probably late 2008 or 2009.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's a fairly consistent rumor though, strictly focused around this idea of a psp redesign that includes internal NAND flash memory. Granted, rumors get recycled all the time but they usually only get recycled for a few weeks or a couple of months, at most. This one has been hanging for at least 6 months now.

mikeGFG

Banned
elostyle said:
Why would they kill a huge market for memory sticks?

Exactly what I was thinking. Are they really going to abandon such a huge profit sanctuary in addition to taking on iPod? Such a funny little situation Sony is in right now

DCharlie

Yeah, I was primarily referring to this flash memory rumor.

i think i'd actually prefer Sony to go balls out and give us a PSP with 30 gig or (god please tie a knot in the bottom of my shorts) a 60 gig hdd...

now i know that is pie in the sky thinking, but that screen + movies + games = ZOMG!

cvxfreak

DCharlie said:
i think i'd actually prefer Sony to go balls out and give us a PSP with 30 gig or (god please tie a knot in the bottom of my shorts) a 60 gig hdd...

now i know that is pie in the sky thinking, but that screen + movies + games = ZOMG!

PSP with more HDD capacity than the PS3? ;)

Monk

Banned
This sucks. It is fine with the DS, overall the buy DS-> trade in -> buy DSL cost me a total of $290 Aus. If the same thing were to happen to the psp, it would mean i would have to spend $600 on the psp hardware total. I really hope that this isnt true. :(

DCharlie said:
i think i'd actually prefer Sony to go balls out and give us a PSP with 30 gig
maybe as a special built-to-order PSP (like the PS3)....but a 30gb PSP standard? how much are you even willing to pay for a HDD PSP? people were already screaming when the value pack sold for $250....now people want a hdd included?! :lol

Crisis

Banned
Mrbob said:
I dunno, I don't think it is bullshit. Sony implemented a dual shock controller mid life for PS1. Why wait for PSP2 (Which I don't think we'll see until 2009-2010)?

Yeah, but this is hardly the same thing. That was a $30 peripheral and wasn't a requirement. What you're talking about is altering the very core of the system itself, which costs around $200, $250, $300. There's a big difference.

DCharlie

maybe as a special built-to-order PSP (like the PS3)....but a 30gb PSP standard? how much are you even willing to pay for a HDD PSP? people were already screaming when the value pack sold for $250....now people want a hdd included?!

i'd pay around $500-600.
I would like a portable high capacity portable media player that isn't the ipod and has the screen of the PSP and the ability to run games off the hdd (and in 333 mode)

Yes, it would most likely sell like shite, but i'd buy one, and that's all i care about!

Brofist

DCharlie said:
i'd pay around $500-600.
I would like a portable high capacity portable media player that isn't the ipod and has the screen of the PSP and the ability to run games off the hdd (and in 333 mode)

Yes, it would most likely sell like shite, but i'd buy one, and that's all i care about!

They could call it PSPX while they are at it :lol

Top Bottom