• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 5/29/2015: DATE WITH DESTINY

bYNbs.jpg

Destiny: House of Wolves (trigger warning), Witcher 3, WoW losing flying mounts, Wattam, Nintendo Humble Bundle, required Konami bitching, Kickstarter stuff, and more!

Running Time: 1:46:37
Direct Download (61.2 MB)
iTunes
RSS Feed
Twitter
Facebook
Time – Topic Discussed:

10:43 – Destiny: House of Wolves
53:40 – The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
1:07:33 – Grand Theft Auto V, 2K Games, Samurai Warriors 4-II, YouTube streaming, League of Legends
1:12:48 – Resident Evil Zero HD Remaster, World of Warcraft, Dragon Quest 30th Anniversary, Star Wars: Battle Pod
1:18:13 – Wattam, amiibos, Splatoon, Nintendo Humble Bundle, Konami, Square Enix E3
1:24:20 – Xbox Fest, PlayStation E3, Bloodborne expansion and patch
1:29:29 – Occulus Rift, Sega mobile games, Shenmue/Streets of Rage II soundtracks going vinyl, Bloodstained Kickstarter
1:39:24 – Closing Comments
tumblr_nmr9jwxeI61qzh2aio7_540.gif

Bleep

Short podcast this week, only 1 hour and 3 minutes.

Ten minutes in I heard some annoying voices and mention of a boring Borderlands clone with no content before it cut to white noise and then they started talking about Grand Theft Auto V.

Thoraxes

Dear lord the Destiny gap.

Well, I guess I need an excuse to get back into it for a little bit and check out what's new, so hopefully this convinces me.

Wow how did he talk for 40 minutes about destiny? Only one of them plays right?

This is gonna be interesting next time I have a car ride and need to kill time.

Jb

The only thing more boring than grinding in Destiny is hearing people talk at length about Destiny :(

BokehKing

Banned
The only thing more boring than grinding in Destiny is hearing people talk at length about Destiny :(
Probably because they eliminated the grind as well as a lot of the other belly aching people who don't play the game, say about the game. Unlike the first expansion this one was well received. Anyway, more Witcher talk is always good.

Probably because they eliminated the grind as well as a lot of the other belly aching people who don't play the game, say about the game. Unlike the first expansion this one was well received. Anyway, more Witcher talk is always good.

The fact that end-game in Destiny is not content, but collecting weapons, has changed? I think not ;)

oti

Banned
No Eurovision talk no download!
already downloaded and skipped Destiny

I just can't listen to them talking about Destiny. I played about 50h of it and had tons of fun at the beginning. But then replaying the same mission over and over again with JJ for some stupid meaningless objective I just couldn't take it anymore. Still fun for what if was though.

geordiemp

I prefer destiny to any game you could mention which I would probably also think is boring.

Give the hate a break please, or even better list a coop game that's better ...go on.

The fact that end-game in Destiny is not content, but collecting weapons, has changed? I think not ;)

List a better coop shooter then. Borderlands 2 was close but spoiled by duping and had even more farming.

Destiny is a fun game these days. :)

If you like FPS's and slot machines. I like FPS's in doses given good story and world (of which I feel Destiny has neither and yes I played 40 hours with my friends).

That said, I will listen anyway so that Mark can teach me what to talk about with my friends at our June wedding party. "Mm yes this champagne tastes like a purple engram ha ha." Or are there better engrams now? This is why I have to listen!

For all those who skipped Destiny talk did you at least
see that they brought in a whole new crew for the talk?
can't believe Mark actually did it haha

geordiemp

If you like FPS's and slot machines. I like FPS's in doses given good story and world (of which I feel Destiny has neither and yes I played 40 hours with my friends).

That said, I will listen anyway so that Mark can teach me what to talk about with my friends at our June wedding party. "Mm yes this champagne tastes like a purple engram ha ha." Or are there better engrams now? This is why I have to listen!

You not played for a long time Huh ?

Best guns are earned and cannot be lucked or RNG'd.

Adept scholer, adept messenger (365 elemental high damage scout / strangers rifle, best perks). Fire jewel of Osiris. Thorn for PVP.

Also you like games with story, so list me a good 4 player coop game with a GOOD story. Not played one yet in last 25 years...

I....honestly thought Mark was kidding about this next one being Destiny-heavy. Wow.

I know it's the ha-ha-funny-joke that no one cares about Destiny...

...but seriously, no one cares about Destiny.

Nibel

It's a fun game. You should play it before knocking it :p

Breh I knock it because I played it, for several dozens of hours. You can go back through my post history and read that I was one of those believing in the game after the alpha/beta tests.
I thought this was planned as a separate podcast and won't find its way into the main podcast. Calling yourself 'gaming jesus' when all you bring is pain

beli4rqgy.png

Kyoufu

I....honestly thought Mark was kidding about this next one being Destiny-heavy. Wow.

I know it's the ha-ha-funny-joke that no one cares about Destiny...

...but seriously, no one cares about Destiny.

Maybe not 8-4 Play's audience but generally speaking, a lot of people still play Destiny.

Breh I knock it because I played it, for several dozens of hours. You can go back through my post history and read that I was one of those believing in the game after the alpha/beta tests.
I thought this was planned as a separate podcast and won't find its way into the main podcast. Calling yourself 'gaming jesus' when all you bring is pain

beli4rqgy.png

Yeah but the alpha/beta weren't exactly the full experience. Playing with friends throughout the strikes and raids and PVP is a blast. There's a reason why it has a strong community :p

Sure enough it was a disappointing title at first but it's growing and getting better.

JJ, you should make a pact with Mark where every time he wants to talk about Destiny, you get to talk for exactly the same length of time about Sengoku Basara in a future episode.

Maybe that would give him some perspective.

Nibel

Yeah but the alpha/beta weren't exactly the full experience. Playing with friends throughout the strikes and raids and PVP is a blast. There's a reason why it has a strong community :p

I have the Limited Edition with the season pass and did everything you listed; let's just say that I heavily disagree and leave it at that. That being said, I believe the framework is great and probably the main reason why many dig it.

urfe

Listened to 5 minutes, was happy, opened this thread, saw all the Destiny, turned it off.

Am drunk on the Sobu, maybe will just skip Destiny in the morning.

wrowa

I actually appreciate that they've got the balls to go deep into Destiny talk even though they are perfectly aware that their average listener really couldn't care less about a game like Destiny. It's quite badass.

I'm still gonna skip it, though. :p

convo

Of course someone has to to talk about Destiny to keep us updated. can't question someones authority when he's making a podcast of course.

You not played for a long time Huh ?

Best guns are earned and cannot be lucked or RNG'd.

Adept scholer, adept messenger (365 elemental high damage scout / strangers rifle, best perks). Fire jewel of Osiris. Thorn for PVP.

Also you like games with story, so list me a good 4 player coop game with a GOOD story. Not played one yet in last 25 years...

I like Left 4 Dead type story. Just minimal stuff with interesting environments that play into your objectives. Even if zombies are played out, a zombie-infested Earth is still easy to connect with on some human level, and the character dialogue infused the L4D games with personality without at all diminishing the co-op experience.

I don't think Destiny allows you to skip cutscenes yet, does it? If it does, ignore the following, but don't make me watch your story over and over and I will stop complaining. The story is sci-fi BS that is just the dumbest of the dumb, and I love good sci-fi (e.g., Star Trek). Destiny is just completely disconnected from the human experience, filled with inconsequential cut-and-paste dialogue, and zero characterization. I completed the story. Who were these people? What were their motivations? What is that droid talking about? I paid attention and never found any reason to care.

Is the best armor earned? Also, does "earning" constitute skill or time? My impression is you still need to luck into some stuff in order to be equipped sufficiently to compete for the best stuff. No I haven't played for a while because I bought the game at launch for $60, played it for 40 hours and didn't like it, and therefore didn't play hundreds of more hours and pay $40 more to transform it into something I might like.

Don't know if this is the place to whine about it, but maybe it is given Destiny's prominence in the podcast? I will listen on my way to my second job tonight (another reason the grind of Destiny is unappealing). I expect Mark to make the conversation entertaining enough regardless.

Chuck

Still without luck
So glad we have time stamps because I can't stand listening to Mark talk about this shitty game any more.

@MUWANdo

Banned
JJ, you should make a pact with Mark where every time he wants to talk about Destiny, you get to talk for exactly the same length of time about Sengoku Basara in a future episode.

Maybe that would give him some perspective.

Give him twice as long to talk, to account for the endless sandbagging by Mark.

Mark if ur going to talk about destiny for 40 minutes why not do a special episode and tack it on the end?

The bait-and-switch was kinda the whole point.

Top Bottom