• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 5/29/2015: DATE WITH DESTINY

Doopliss

Actually they've talked much more about Souls games and Destiny then they have with MH for a few years now.

It's funny because back when they wouldn't shut up about MH I would fast forward through it and now that I'm into it I barely hear them mention it!

Yeesss I've found myself deep into Monster Hunter 4U and I'd love to hear them talk more about the series. I've already gone back and re-listened to all of their previous MH discussion (thank god/JJ for the diligent timestamping) but it can only sustain me for so long...

pizzacat

Banned
I ever expect or expected an answer.....think about that...

Made my point you really cant have a deep character interaction story with 4 to 6 player fireteams.

Maybe a game will manage it in the future, who knows. But to moan about a deep story when nobody has managed to do it for the genre is tiring.
All story mode missions have a maximum of 3 players tho.

I enjoyed the Destiny talk :) Its nice to hear what people like about the game. The thread is on OT 22 so it must be clicking with a lot of people. I burned out at level 13 or so. I'd like to go back but I'm really not in the mood to defend that stupid robot again. It sucks to hear all the improvements Bungie is making to the end game stuff but I haven't heard anything about them revisiting and improving the early game stuff.

Celegus

I dislike Destiny talk as much as anyone and have no interest in playing it, but honestly didn't mind it that much. It was much better than any Destiny talk that was on the Bombcast over and over last year, and just the fact that Mark actually did that thing he threatened gives it a pass.

Massa

It's a Japanese game podcast. People would be annoyed with 45 minutes of Destiny talk on nearly any podcast, but it's so far from why most listen to 8-4 Play that the eye-rolling and disappointment is amplified a hundred fold.

It's an 8-4 podcast they do on the side to have fun, they'll talk about whatever they want to talk about.

Two Words

Does anybody else that played the new expansion find t bizarre how astounded they are by the small and simple additions Bungie made?

Destiny switcher-ou was better than expected, great moment.

Although Mark not getting Sarah's clear as day innuendo & not being able to beat Rom, maybe he is getting old, :p

convo

Destiny switcher-ou was better than expected, great moment.

Although Mark not getting Sarah's clear as day innuendo & not being able to beat Rom, maybe he is getting old, :p

He definitely is he is the old man type now who won't be enjoying more than two or three games at a time and will desperately cling to those games he's good at to not questions his own self worth :p I am confident to call him a bona fide asshole not in the Jeff Gerstmann class of grumpiness when being provoked but his natural form when he wants to feel comfortable. Either the Japanese brand of casual racism or the ignorant-old-man attitude are showing in his eastern European accents also.If this wasn't a podcast and was said by a games journalist on the twitterwebs it certainly would have been some fireworks of some sort. Pretty funny one this week actually. I do hope they tell another funny story that won't be interrupted next time.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've only played the Beta so I have no strong opinion about Destiny, but there are just some games that are not interesting to hear about even if actually playing them can hook you for dozens of hours. I think Destiny is probably one of those games. I get that people want to talk about it because it's consuming so much of their time, but I haven't gotten a single ounce of pleasure or interest from hearing about it on any podcast.

BokehKing

Banned
Why does he need to list anything? Bungle is the one that hyped up their shit as if it was Star Wars and LotR
Huh? They didn't even come close to doing that? Obviously some of us are reading into things too much during these conferences and trailer reviews.

This game has been marketed as like mmo-lite since the beginning. I know as soon as I hear the term 'mmo' story goes out the window and the game will focus on cooperation and loot

mcw

He definitely is he is the old man type now who won't be enjoying more than two or three games at a time and will desperately cling to those games he's good at to not questions his own self worth :p I am confident to call him a bona fide asshole not in the Jeff Gerstmann class of grumpiness when being provoked but his natural form when he wants to feel comfortable. Either the Japanese brand of casual racism or the ignorant-old-man attitude are showing in his eastern European accents also.If this wasn't a podcast and was said by a games journalist on the twitterwebs it certainly would have been some fireworks of some sort.

This is a very harsh personal judgment of someone you don't know... You're free to do that, of course, but speaking from past experience, I know how awful it can feel to post something like this and then reflect on it afterward, especially if you know how hurtful it is to other people who read it. That degree of regret is not a feeling I'd wish on anyone, sir. I do hope that you're able to move away from making harsh judgment of other folks like this-- I think you'll feel better in general once you get to that point.

He definitely is he is the old man type now who won't be enjoying more than two or three games at a time and will desperately cling to those games he's good at to not questions his own self worth :p I am confident to call him a bona fide asshole not in the Jeff Gerstmann class of grumpiness when being provoked but his natural form when he wants to feel comfortable. Either the Japanese brand of casual racism or the ignorant-old-man attitude are showing in his eastern European accents also.If this wasn't a podcast and was said by a games journalist on the twitterwebs it certainly would have been some fireworks of some sort. Pretty funny one this week actually. I do hope they tell another funny story that won't be interrupted next time.
W.O.W.

meppi

Jesus, the amount of salt for Destiny in this thread is immense.

Just to be clear, I love Destiny.
It's just that it annoys me to no end that conversations about niche games, or certain games that a certain someone on the podcast has no interest in gets killed off as soon as it's brought up, while he get to talk for nearly an hour about his personal favourite game which no one cares about at this point, just because he says so.
Not to mention the weekly updates about this stuff.

Fasty

I love the flak Destiny talk gets on the podcast, but I also like hearing people talk about games they love. Although maybe it went for a little too long, hopefully it means they got it out of their system and we don't have to hear about it again for a few months. Hopefully!

Tripon

Destiny talk a bit weird since they didn't talk about that game at all for months and Mark had to bring in a group of ringers just to talk about that game.

Hope 8-4 Play can get in one more podcast before E3 so we can hear them talk about the Nintendo Direct and the HYPE TRAIN.

Destiny talk a bit weird since they didn't talk about that game at all for months and Mark had to bring in a group of ringers just to talk about that game.

Hope 8-4 Play can get in one more podcast before E3 so we can hear them talk about the Nintendo Direct and the HYPE TRAIN.

I'd say this Monster Hunter X reveal warrants an emergency 8-4 Direct episode!

I ever expect or expected an answer.....think about that...

Made my point you really cant have a deep character interaction story with 4 to 6 player fireteams.

Maybe a game will manage it in the future, who knows. But to moan about a deep story when nobody has managed to do it for the genre is tiring.

I answered (L4D). Story-moaning is legitimate when the game forces you to rewatch cutscenes over and over. THAT is tiring.

Also I'm about halfway through the Destiny talk and I am hearing a lot of RNG drop talk about new stuff, so your previous argument of the game having eclipsed that stereotype seems over-simplified at best.

urfe

Second half is good. Destiny and Witcher can be skipped.

I enjoy hearing JJ and Sarah talk about games, and think Roy is great with the questions.

Edit: no offense to the guys in the first half, just different interests.

The Destiny ambush was great. They'll spend huge chunks of the podcast talking about Monster Hunter or Bloodborne or whatever else, so I don't see the problem here.

Haven't finished the podcast but I'm dreading John (or JJ, I always confuse the two) commenting on the Witcher. Always cringe worthy hearing him say anything about western RPGs.

convo

This is a very harsh personal judgment of someone you don't know... You're free to do that, of course, but speaking from past experience, I know how awful it can feel to post something like this and then reflect on it afterward, especially if you know how hurtful it is to other people who read it. That degree of regret is not a feeling I'd wish on anyone, sir. I do hope that you're able to move away from making harsh judgment of other folks like this-- I think you'll feel better in general once you get to that point.

I do believe Mark can stand his ground and i can be proven wrong about the things i say too. If i had bridges to burn i would feel somewhat regretful about the statement i made, but i am not leaving this podcast behind because of some stupid shit i believe they said and did on the podcast, for that they are too insightful about things that interest me.
Outrage is not very interesting or entertaining to me,i will live and work far away from click-bait , and if Mark cares enough about some guy on the internet being cross with him in a joking manner than he will comment on it if he wants to or ignore me, which is completely fine by me.

RiamuBME

Haven’t had chance to listen to the episode yet (Not a free moment at work yet), but I honestly don’t understand why people are complaining about the Destiny talk.

As far as I understand it, most of us here listen to the 8-4 podcast because we love video games, and love listening to knowledgeable (serious veterans of the industry) people get excited still about video games. Mark we all know likes Destiny, it as he has explained in the past is one of his means of having conversations with friends and people he knows.

Last week an expansion came out for Destiny, it seems highly appropriate for someone who likes a game to talk about the game’s expansion, rather on topic really. If we’re going to start complaining about the games they cover what’s the point in the podcast existing in the first place.

They timestamp everything for reasons such as this, if you don’t like it just skip it. I bet all this talk probably has got Mark down a little, shouldn’t be flaming someone so hard for liking a game and wanting to talk about it.

convo

Haven’t had chance to listen to the episode yet (Not a free moment at work yet), but I honestly don’t understand why people are complaining about the Destiny talk.

I am completely content with the Destiny talk since they have a bunch of knowledge to share and are Enthusiastic about it.Not many other podcast i listen to have much insight to share about destiny, and i don't mind the game and still am interested to have a go at it myself someday.

I think it was the sheer length of this compared to the podcast's length as a whole. "Guy wtih a 9mo" kept the Destiny talk peppy, though.

The difference between generic medieval dark European fantasy and generic medieval European high fantasy is not that big when you consider that games have fantasy settings like in Bayonetta, Asura's Wrath, or Katamari Damacy.

Vodyaniks say no to this.

Razlo

It's just an interest clash. Most people who listen to the podcast don't care about Destiny. Most people in the 8-4 office don't care about Destiny. It's groan inducing for both groups to hear about, yet was covered for 45 minutes. Meanwhile games like Sengoku Basara or other niche titles that don't get covered on many other podcasts get passed over due to them not being what interests Mark.

It's their podcast, so they can obviously do what they want, but this IS a feedback thread, and as evidenced, the feedback from most is bleh on the Destiny droning on.

RiamuBME

It's just an interest clash. Most people who listen to the podcast don't care about Destiny. Most people in the 8-4 office don't care about Destiny. It's groan inducing for both groups to hear about, yet was covered for 45 minutes. Meanwhile games like Sengoku Basara or other niche titles that don't get covered on many other podcasts get passed over due to them not being what interests Mark.

It's their podcast, so they can obviously do what they want, but this IS a feedback thread, and as evidenced, the feedback from most is bleh on the Destiny droning on.

Feedback is great, when it is constructive, complaining about not wanting to listen to someone talk about a game they like on a gaming podcast isn't criticism. If you have geniune concerns about other hosts being bored by the topic and it creating a rather strange atmosphere to listen to, then that would be more constructive a disucssion. But half of the complaints are just people whining about Destiny.

Floex

Feedback is great, when it is constructive, complaining about not wanting to listen to someone talk about a game they like on a gaming podcast isn't criticism. If you have geniune concerns about other hosts being bored by the topic and it creating a rather strange atmosphere to listen to, then that would be more constructive a disucssion. But half of the complaints are just people whining about Destiny.

Exactly this. I completely drift off when any Yokai watch talk is mentioned but tha's because I have zero interest in that game. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be spoken about.

(thank christ the hype is dying down on that)

Tripon

I suppose I should give the destiny part a second listen. I don't play the game, but got a roommate who is all about that.

The first time I listened to it, I used it to fall to sleep to. (I do this regularly with podcasts).

Razlo

"You continue to talk too much about a game most of your listeners aren't interested in" seems like an actionable complaint.

Razlo

Exactly this. I completely drift off when any Yokai watch talk is mentioned but tha's because I have zero interest in that game. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be spoken about.

(thank christ the hype is dying down on that)

At least this is one of the few podcast that would talk about a game like Yokai Watch, that makes it more interesting to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd rather have talk about Yokai Watch because it's a franchise that is ignored in the west, despite is enormous popularity in Japan. You can get Destiny talk on every other gaming podcast out there.

Huh? They didn't even come close to doing that? Obviously some of us are reading into things too much during these conferences and trailer reviews.

This game has been marketed as like mmo-lite since the beginning. I know as soon as I hear the term 'mmo' story goes out the window and the game will focus on cooperation and loot
Yes, they did.

A lot of MMOs tend to have rich back stories and interesting quest lines. Their main stories tend to be lacking, but Destiny fails at the main story and whatever side stories it does have too.

Top Bottom