• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 5/29/2015: DATE WITH DESTINY

Somnia

Despite what everyone in here is saying, the extra crew showing up to talk Destiny was hilarious.

If you don't like Destiny talk FAST FORWARD, it's why they provide time stamps. Those of us who want to listen to it can and will.

You not played for a long time Huh ?

Best guns are earned and cannot be lucked or RNG'd.

Adept scholer, adept messenger (365 elemental high damage scout / strangers rifle, best perks). Fire jewel of Osiris. Thorn for PVP.

Also you like games with story, so list me a good 4 player coop game with a GOOD story. Not played one yet in last 25 years...
Why does he need to list anything? Bungle is the one that hyped up their shit as if it was Star Wars and LotR

JJ, you should make a pact with Mark where every time he wants to talk about Destiny, you get to talk for exactly the same length of time about Sengoku Basara in a future episode.

Maybe that would give him some perspective.

It's Mark's show. If he doesn't give a shit about certain game, good luck getting 5 min to talk about it. I was always excited when I saw there was some discussion about FFXIV then realized it's mostly a few sentences from Roy.

Chuck

Still without luck
Is there even 43 minutes of content in that expansion? Or are they just doing as destiny suckers do and squeezing water from a stone?

Somnia

Is there even 43 minutes of content in that expansion? Or are they just doing as destiny suckers do and squeezing water from a stone?

Look at me I'm funny... of course there's more than 43 minutes of content. Jesus the hate for Destiny is strong.

Buntabox

The ambush for the Destiny talk was pretty great.

Also, they don't talk about Destiny THAT much. It's brought up more often as a joke than anything.

Myggen

Almost nodded off just reading that idea.

giphy.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member

Not original content that's for sure, they even mention that in the segment. Reused assets and same enemy types.

It's a fun game. You should play it before knocking it :p

Regardless of that (I haven't played it and don't have strong feelings about it one way or the other) I just don't find it an enjoyable game to hear talked about, especially when a few of the people on the podcast were pretty absent from the discussion once it got started. I listened to a good chunk of the discussion since I liked hearing their impressions of the new expansion, but once it got really into the specifics of the game itself I tuned out. It's nothing about Destiny specifically, it's just that after a certain amount of discussion of any game I lose all interest.

The same thing happened about a year or so ago on Idle Thumbs with their numerous Spelunky discussions. I actually stopped listening to that podcast completely after a while because of how much it was talked about.

And for people saying "well they give timestamps so just fastfoward if you didn't like it": I did actually fast forward after about half of the Destiny talk with no sign of it ending, but because I was already driving and didn't check the timestamps, I had to just tap the "skip forward 30 seconds" button on my podcast app about 50 times to get to the next game discussion (didn't want to distract myself while driving trying to manually scroll while driving).

When they said The Witchers brand of fantasy was like Skyrims I cringed a little

It's like when people say Souls games are generic fantasy because it has swords magic and armor

tokkun

When they said The Witchers brand of fantasy was like Skyrims I cringed a little

It's like when people say Souls games are generic fantasy because it has swords magic and armor

The difference between generic medieval dark European fantasy and generic medieval European high fantasy is not that big when you consider that games have fantasy settings like in Bayonetta, Asura's Wrath, or Katamari Damacy.

meppi

They are talking 43 minutes about fucking Destiny?

Does it surprise you at this point?

Hey this new Dynasty Warrio-SHUT UP!

okay, I'd really love to talk about EDF coming to the PS4 as it's-WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS CRAP! NO ONE CARES!

I picked up a classic Game Boy yester-WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! THERE NEVER WAS A SINGLE HALFWAY DECENT GAME RELEASED FOR THAT SYSTEM!

GUESS WHAT I'VE BEEN PLAYING THIS WEEK? IT'S THE BEST THING EVER! DESTINY-crickets....

:p

daegan

The cacophony as the guests entered and Mark's triumphant "SUCK IT BITCHES" absolutely made my day. Hilarious. I just picked it back up after being level 19 since, like, November? It's ok. Not my favorite, but I'll play it a little more now and I thought the discussion was interesting.

The one thing they didn't touch on in that time that I wish they had was I'm curious how those at the top levels of the game think they should approach eventual sequels, since Bungie did say your character and progress would carry through. How do you make someone jumping on for the first time still feel powerful in the face of level 32 (or higher by then?) people freaking floating around you?

Curufinwe

Mark should just get co-op help to beat Rom if he can't do it alone. It must suck for the other guys having to avoid spoiling all the crazy shit that happens afterwards.

Faustek

JJ, you should make a pact with Mark where every time he wants to talk about Destiny, you get to talk for exactly the same length of time about Sengoku Basara in a future episode.

Maybe that would give him some perspective.

Add someone to talk about Dota as well.
I like Dota.

Anyway, laughing my ass off at cast change there :) And once again I'm reminded how small the gaming world is for those that have been console centric only :/ And having said that. Yes, Witcher 3 is the best in the series it's also arguably the best rpg in ages as well.

Anyway, back to the cast :)

hutna

After listening to Mark and crew's assessment of the weapon types in Destiny their defeat in the Trials of Osiris makes a lot of sense.

I am one of the 1% who enjoyed some Destiny chat, but I would have enjoyed it more if they were a little more knowledgeable about the game.

The Witcher is another series where I feel like I'm in the 1% of folks who couldn't care less about it.

The shop lifting at the train station combini was the highlight for me. Oh and the Taco Bell comercial at the end! Bad "Mexican" food and butt troubles: yay!?

Mark can't beat easy-ass Rom and he hijacks the podcast to talk about boring Destiny garbage for 45 minutes. He must be one of those casual gamers you always hear about.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No surprise about the Destiny talk; the only thing that matches their love for Monster Hunter is their love for Destiny.

Actually they've talked much more about Souls games and Destiny then they have with MH for a few years now.

It's funny because back when they wouldn't shut up about MH I would fast forward through it and now that I'm into it I barely hear them mention it!

omg_mjd

Mark is my Gives No Fucks hero. Poor Sara though. I haven't finished the episode yet but I hope she got to continue her story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the 8-4 guys are the very definition of the "casual core" players that I was thinking of. They play enough to be excited, but not enough to know all the details (Xur always sold engrams for motes of light and never strange coins), so they aren't burned out on the content and still have fun with it.

I'm on week 2 and I think I'm done with House of Wolves. But that's because I have three characters and have done all the content already. The prospect of grinding every week has just broken me, and the grind has become way too much now.

Hype Train song is the best part of the year.

It's like when that Coca-Cola commercial comes on for the first time before Christmas.

DMiz

*Groan* Too much Destiny.

Hopefully the listener counts convince Mark that he really is the only person that cares so much about this game. :p

geordiemp

Why does he need to list anything? Bungle is the one that hyped up their shit as if it was Star Wars and LotR

I ever expect or expected an answer.....think about that...

Made my point you really cant have a deep character interaction story with 4 to 6 player fireteams.

Maybe a game will manage it in the future, who knows. But to moan about a deep story when nobody has managed to do it for the genre is tiring.

pantsmith

I didnt understand the "trigger warning" comment until reading through this thread. Wow, people are still pretty vocal about not liking Destiny.

Razlo

I didnt understand the "trigger warning" comment until reading through this thread. Wow, people are still pretty vocal about not liking Destiny.

It's a Japanese game podcast. People would be annoyed with 45 minutes of Destiny talk on nearly any podcast, but it's so far from why most listen to 8-4 Play that the eye-rolling and disappointment is amplified a hundred fold.

I ever expect or expected an answer.....think about that...

Made my point you really cant have a deep character interaction story with 4 to 6 player fireteams.

Maybe a game will manage it in the future, who knows. But to moan about a deep story when nobody has managed to do it for the genre is tiring.
I think the fact that Bungle hyped up the story and made those comparisons, and then hid the database of information on their website and app on top of the existing story and dialogue being extremely bad ("I dont have time to explain why I dont have time to explain") is probably the reason why the story is a sticking point.

Top Bottom