• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 5/29/2015: DATE WITH DESTINY

max.renn

Neo Member
I'd rather have talk about Yokai Watch because it's a franchise that is ignored in the west, despite is enormous popularity in Japan. You can get Destiny talk on every other gaming podcast out there.

well thats not going to be happening. dont think a single person on the podcast likes yokai watch

Alucrid

Banned
So how well is destiny doing in Japan? I know there was that share play commercial but I wonder if it has a community over there that aren't the 8 4 community

"You continue to talk too much about a game most of your listeners aren't interested in" seems like an actionable complaint.

Plenty of people are interested in Destiny, including me, and it's their podcast. Telling them what they should and should not talk about is ridiculous. Fast forward past it if it doesn't interest you.

Negator

Plenty of people are interested in Destiny, including me, and it's their podcast. Telling them what they should and should not talk about is ridiculous. Fast forward past it if it doesn't interest you.

'Their' podcast, right. More like Mark's podcast and fuck everyone else.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I hate Destiny but I found the Red Wedding betrayl at the start of the cast absolutely hilarious. Imagine organising that to happen live to your fellow employees. Mark is best troll.

It was also interesting to hear from his group and that even they have seemingly reached a "they've really stewed those bones" point themselves.

I still find it weird they havent really savaged Konami to shit, but then thats the precarious "dont piss on the bill payers" position they no doubt find themselves in. Gives me hope they're localising MGR2!!

FStop7

Banned
It's just an interest clash. Most people who listen to the podcast don't care about Destiny. Most people in the 8-4 office don't care about Destiny. It's groan inducing for both groups to hear about, yet was covered for 45 minutes. Meanwhile games like Sengoku Basara or other niche titles that don't get covered on many other podcasts get passed over due to them not being what interests Mark.

It's their podcast, so they can obviously do what they want, but this IS a feedback thread, and as evidenced, the feedback from most is bleh on the Destiny droning on.

Agreed

But God forbid you express such an opinion without 30 mouthbreathers responding with posts containing forms of the word "salt"

zelas

I enjoyed the Destiny talk a great deal. I always welcome in depth conversation about games I've moved on from or are hardly covered on other podcasts (Destiny, DQX, FF14, Yokai Watch). It's an easy way to stay informed about the entire industry.

Hell, I used to listen to DOTA Today and I have zero plans for playing that game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I dislike Destiny a great deal, but found the discussion quite entertaining and very educational about what the fuck the new expansion actually is. It's surprisingly been nigh impossible for most enthusiast websites to truly explain the changes and content additions. Frustrating actually, but Mark did an awesome job actually hosting a discussion to break it down in great detail that I feel worked for early abandoners like myself and I assume hardcore players. It's the first time in the last few weeks I feel someone was finally able to explain what the fuck House of Wolves is properly.

That said, after listening to the entire discussion, I still feel they are out of their goddamn minds for giving any time to that game regardless.

Nose Master

Destiny talk was fucking terrible, but it was easy enough to fast forward through. Probably shoulda just done a one-off special Destiny episode.

I dislike Destiny a great deal, but found the discussion quite entertaining and very educational about what the fuck the new expansion actually is. It's surprisingly been nigh impossible for most enthusiast websites to truly explain the changes and content additions. Frustrating actually, but Mark did an awesome job actually hosting a discussion to break it down in great detail that I feel worked for early abandoners like myself and I assume hardcore players. It's the first time in the last few weeks I feel someone was finally able to explain what the fuck House of Wolves is properly.

That said, after listening to the entire discussion, I still feel they are out of their goddamn minds for giving any time to that game regardless.

This is true, I tried paying attention to the Giant Bombcast segment on it and left feeling about as confused as I did going in. 8-4 was a lot better in that regards.

Chic Pixel Plus too :(

So many lost podcasts, only Mark's Destiny podcast remains...

I can't speak for Apricot, who runs Chic Pixel Plus, but as somebody who's guested on it a bunch, I don't think it's going anywhere.

It's just hard to organize podcast stuff consistently when you're not just doing it with folks at work.

Razlo

People here are so right; it's been so tough having every podcast that deals with Japanese games pass out for months or die completely. 8-4's Japan games talk is my only respite!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is true, I tried paying attention to the Giant Bombcast segment on it and left feeling about as confused as I did going in. 8-4 was a lot better in that regards.
To be fair, they got a lot of the details wrong anyway. That and the GB episode was basically Jeff shitting on the game for being a poor MMO.
The fact that they literally say "upgrade your weapon to the maximum level for year one" in the game kind of shows you how they're thinking about the game over there.

People here are so right; it's been so tough having every podcast that deals with Japanese games pass out for months or die completely. 8-4's Japan games talk is my only respite!

Chic Pixel Plus too :(

So many lost podcasts, only Mark's Destiny podcast remains...
Is Call of Podcast still a thing? That's the only other semi-regular podcast that I can think of. WHAP still exists, but it's like a once every few months thing now.

Zornack

I find Destiny super boring but love whenever 8-4 or the bombcast get into it. I'm hoping for a Brad/Mark/Austin Destiny podcast segment at E3.

p0rk1ns

Q-Games
Didn't realize GAF hated Destiny so much! Lol. If I'd known, I'd have trolled the regulars harder in the segment. Everyone was sitting there using their phones while we rambled on. To be fair, I have my reservations with Destiny, but it's mindless fun for the moment.

Harlock

I played Destiny until level 20 and get some light gear to reach level 21 or 22. What I dont like about every Destiny talk in any podcast is that only about raiders and other top level gears. They never talks if the expansion or other updates affects low level players enough to go back. But anyway, dont like doing entire missions and not leveling. Or understading 5 currencies in the same game. Or how the better content in the game, the raiders, are exclusive for who have friends and time to play together.

Alucrid

Banned
I played Destiny until level 20 and get some light gear to reach level 21 or 22. What I dont like about every Destiny talk in any podcast is that only about raiders and other top level gears. They never talks if the expansion or other updates affects low level players enough to go back. But anyway, dont like doing entire missions and not leveling. Or understading 5 currencies in the same game. Or how the better content in the game, the raiders, are exclusive for who have friends and time to play together.
I'm pretty sure they note in the episode that it's easy to get gear that will boost you to light level 32

Edit: oh wait, you didn't actually care

Kyoufu

Thanks to this episode I went back to Destiny, leveled a Hunter and got it to 30 in the span of two days. They made it much easier to gear up now. My main also went up to 32.

Kesith

Neo Member
As someone who doesn't play Destiny, that segment in the newest podcast was really interesting. I don't play games like that, and hearing some well-spoken people talk about why they like it is actually fun. While it's not something I would want to see take over the podcast by any means, it was a fun diversion.

Top Bottom