• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 9/16/2011: TOKYO GAME SHOW 2011

El Sloth

Banned
Congrats to 1 year of awesome podcasting.

Mark mentioned he's been watching fighting game tournaments lately? Any in particular?

Starting to grate that John TV is a complete Debbie Downer anytime a 360 game is mentioned.

Garnett & co : "Hey, we're actually talking happily/excitedly about some Kinect games"
John : "Oy oy! In case I haven't made it repeatidly clear, I'm not. Guys, did you know? I don't like em."

We get it. And it's perfectly fine. Just don't keep slapping us in the head with it any time a 360 game is mentioned.

john tv

Zeouterlimits said:
Starting to grate that John TV is a complete Debbie Downer anytime a 360 game is mentioned.

Garnett & co : "Hey, we're actually talking happily/excitedly about some Kinect games"
John : "Oy oy! In case I haven't made it repeatidly clear, I'm not. Guys, did you know? I don't like em."

We get it. And it's perfectly fine. Just don't keep slapping us in the head with it any time a 360 game is mentioned.
Whoops. :) That stuff just comes out naturally. Really not a fan of Kinect in its current incarnation. If they put one out someday that actually works to a degree that I find acceptable, I'd definitely be open to it -- but as it stands now, it's an overpriced gimmick.

In general, I've noticed I tend to be more emphatic about stuff I don't like, when in fact I'm actually pretty enthusiastic overall - so I'm hoping to try and curb the negative commentary and bring out a little more of the positive in the coming months. It's always nice to hear stuff like this tho, so thanks for the feedback!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
john tv said:
Whoops. :) That stuff just comes out naturally. Really not a fan of Kinect in its current incarnation. If they put one out someday that actually works to a degree that I find acceptable, I'd definitely be open to it -- but as it stands now, it's an overpriced gimmick.

In general, I've noticed I tend to be more emphatic about stuff I don't like, when in fact I'm actually pretty enthusiastic overall - so I'm hoping to try and curb the negative commentary and bring out a little more of the positive in the coming months. It's always nice to hear stuff like this tho, so thanks for the feedback!
Don't worry, I still think the kinect is dumb too.

Massa

john tv said:

Well, if you something positive to talk about you could talk about how much I hate you for getting to play Uncharted: GA on December 17. :p

StuBurns

Banned
I kind of hoped they'd go back to the MS hate conversation in this episode.

No one really addressed Ryan's argument that the Kinect is optional so you shouldn't care. MS are putting practically all their internal development into Kinect. Third party exclusives are dead. Outside of XBLA or Halo 4 (from an unproven studio), there isn't a reason to own a 360 right now I think. There was a thread yesterday about listing all 2012 titles you cared about, and it really hit me that MS have virtually nothing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
StuBurns said:

No one really addressed Ryan's argument that the Kinect is optional so you shouldn't care. MS are putting practically all their internal development into Kinect. Third party exclusives are dead. Outside of XBLA or Halo 4 (from an unproven studio), there isn't a reason to own a 360 right now I think. There was a thread yesterday about listing all 2012 titles you cared about, and it really hit me that MS have virtually nothing.
Didn't they talk about how Sonic Generations was terrible on PS3 and Dragon's Dogma's demo on 360 was way better than the PS3?

StuBurns

Banned
zoner said:
Didn't they talk about how Sonic Generations was terrible on PS3 and Dragon's Dogma's demo on 360 was way better than the PS3?
I don't remember the DD thing, but they mentioned Sonic. But that's not really what I meant. The topic Ryan bought up was much more specific.

LiK

I don't mind if they have a bias towards a system/brand. Let it be known that Ryan Payton is listening...hohoho

john tv said:

Thanks for the reply, I just felt that moment "broke the camels back" when it came to mentions of how you feel about the 360.
Have loads of respect/admiration for you & the show, so happy to see this.

LiK said:
I don't mind if they have a bias towards a system/brand. Let it be known that Ryan Payton is listening...hohoho
I don't either, it's just come up a lot from John in the past 4/5 episodes, is tiring.

Massa

StuBurns said:

Exactly. The argument that Kinect is optional falls apart when you look at what kind of games Microsoft is funding.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't want to make it sound too great for Sony though, they have two first party PS3 disc releases announced I care about. That's pretty bad. They have two third party exclusives (exclusive for right now at least, we'll see about one of them) I'm excited for, but even then that's four games.

They both moved on to their new systems (PSV and Kinect), it just happens that PSV I care about Kinect I don't I guess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Massa said:
Exactly. The argument that Kinect is optional falls apart when you look at what kind of games Microsoft is funding.
Like all those great XBLA games?

Gears may be their only exclusive for this year, not counting the Halo remakes, but you know what? Gears will definitely outsell all of Sony's exclusives by a good margin. It's a huge name, and I'm sure they're preparing for their next exclusive after Gears.

SCHUEY F1 said:
The bottom line is you really can't go wrong with either system imo. Both have there strengths and weaknesses.
I completely agree. I've seen people bash MS for supporting Kinect so much and then proclaim disappointment in Sony for not supporting the Move enough.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The bottom line is you really can't go wrong with either system imo. Both have there strengths and weaknesses.

Edit: Wish there was little less bias on the show.

StuBurns

Banned
zoner said:
Gears may be their only exclusive for this year, not counting the Halo remakes, but you know what? Gears will definitely outsell all of Sony's exclusives by a good margin. It's a huge name, and I'm sure they're preparing for their next exclusive after Gears.
What do you mean? It's not going to outsell GT5.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
What do you mean? It's not going to outsell GT5.

As of March, 2011 GT5 has sold over 6 million. Gears 2 has sold over 5 million. Assumming GT5 has added another million since I think Gears 3 will be pretty close since there is a much larger install base now.

Massa

zoner said:
Like all those great XBLA games?

Whether you like it or not, Microsoft is focused on having all its games have Kinect support of some sort. They have actually said so and made it abundantly clear in their last 2 or 3 E3 press conferences.

I think that's a bad strategy any way you cut it, feel free to disagree.

warpaint

Any looking forward to hearing it not had time yet to sit down with it, Is there any stand out points i need to keep an ear out for ?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

DON'T CHANGE !!!

now this is perhaps slightly different because i know you IRL and i know where you are coming from (.... 93.7% of the time ;)

Here's the thing - i don't want to hear middling tempered 'watch what i say' opinions, i'm interested in hearing other peoples takes. If you don't like something , you should say so - there's nothing wrong with it and the more conflicting opinions the better. Are you overly negative? Not as far as i'm concerned. If anything, i'd be more suspicious of anyone who has zero concerns about something like the Kinect.

Keep everything as it is. Negative commentary is great as long as it's constructive and that's exactly what it is at the moment. More arguments, more strong opinions. :)

Also - the next time someone gets at you for playing games on the PS3 and asks for reasons why tell them to suck it ;) I'm at the point where i just don't see why anyone has to justify that preference anymore.

Troidal

Yeah, agreed with DCharlie here.

You guys are no longer a part of the media, no need to flatter the game companies every single time.

We all have our bias, and most of the time there is a reason for it. It also adds character and dimension to the podcast, we don't want everyone commenting on everything like we are all living in one-happy wonderland like how some media outlets tend to do.

It's like being at that izakaya listening to you folks, all the way from China, great impressions on TGS ;)

Aaron

One of my favorite things about 8-4 is when something is shit Mark won't hesitate to say it's shit. Too many other podcasts try to step around the doo-doo and act like it smells like flowers.

StuBurns

Banned
The word bias is a pejorative. The three consoles are different products, with different services. There is nothing wrong with preferring one over the other. No matter how 'petty' the reasoning might appear to someone else.

I would very comfortably say PS3 is the best of the three, and the Wii is the worst. Bias would be to inherently be against anything on the Wii because I think it's the worst of the three. I doubt John, or any other reasonable adult is biased towards any of the consoles. 'Fanboys' exist online because it's people who can't afford to buy their own consoles and their parents only buy them one. Adults just have preferences. No matter how diplomatic Payton might be, he must be buying games on one system over the other, unless he literally alternates with every release, but that'd be really bizarre.

john tv

Don't get me wrong - I'm not one to sugarcoat anything. My point is that we have X amount of time per podcast, and rather than spend a bunch of time bitching about stuff I don't like, I'd rather spend more time being enthusiastic about stuff I -do- like. :)

That said, we'll always have time for PlayStation Home. ;)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
john tv said:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not one to sugarcoat anything. My point is that we have X amount of time per podcast, and rather than spend a bunch of time bitching about stuff I don't like, I'd rather spend more time being enthusiastic about stuff I -do- like. :)

That said, we'll always have time for PlayStation Home. ;)
Gameboy fucking sucks!!!!!!

Ahem! ;)

mujun

I hope John continues to speak his mind on how he feels about the 360, I much prefer podcast where people are honest (and hopefully do a good job of explaining why, which John did).

I find it weird that people discount Kinect games as exclusives when criticizing the 360s line up but then go on to add even the most obscure games when listing the exclusives of the PS3.

Is it because a peripheral is required?

Duffyside

Banned
I love (read: hate) how everyone wants a Vita, but always comments on how it's not going to be a success. They'll either spend a ton of time praising it and then ending the conversation with "but the iPhone!" or spend a ton of time talking about how handhelds are doomed, then say "but man I can't wait to get a Vita." I guess it's reflective of the enthusiast community at least.

StuBurns

Banned
duffyside said:
I love (read: hate) how everyone wants a Vita, but always comments on how it's not going to be a success. They'll either spend a ton of time praising it and then ending the conversation with "but the iPhone!" or spend a ton of time talking about how handhelds are doomed, then say "but man I can't wait to get a Vita." I guess it's reflective of the enthusiast community at least.
How are the two things contradictory though? What you want, and what you predict will happen are rarely aligned.

mujun

duffyside said:

Seems fair enough to me. Looks like an awesome piece of hardware that already has a strong lineup of games announced. Makes sense that people can't wait to get their own.

How it will perform sales-wise is a whole different subject. The handheld market is changing and at this point it seems like the Vita could go either way.

If quality was a guarantee of financial success then the Vita would assuredly be hit.

This has easily become one of my favorite podcasts. Last few episodes are great.

You guys are also part of the reason I'm actually interested in Monster Hunter Tri G. I wouldn't have cared normally, but I watched the videos after the Tri G disscussion, and now it's easily my most anticipated 3DS game.

Only thing I want from the show is for it to be weekly. I can't stand the two week wait. :)

Duffyside

Banned
StuBurns said:
How are the two things contradictory though? What you want, and what you predict will happen are rarely aligned.
Well if it were just one or two of them acting this way it wouldn't be as noteworthy, but all of them seem to feel the same way. I think that each of them and everyone on the Weekend Confirmed segment want a Vita shows that while "mainstream America" may be satisfied with their phone, "hardcore" gamers are extremely interested in the Vita. And there are a lot more of those type of people than many think. I think the Vita is going to be more successful than the PSP; maybe not in hardware sales, but definitely in software.
mujun said:
Seems fair enough to me. Looks like an awesome piece of hardware that already has a strong lineup of games announced. Makes sense that people can't wait to get their own.

How it will perform sales-wise is a whole different subject. The handheld market is changing and at this point it seems like the Vita could go either way.

If quality was a guarantee of financial success then the Vita would assuredly be hit.
I don't know, it just all comes off to me as "Oh my gosh, this is the best restaurant! The food is great, the service is outstanding, it has awesome atmosphere, and I can't believe how affordable it is! ... But yo, there's a McDonald's down the street, so you're fucked."

It just seems crazy to me. If Vita had just one or two hooks I could see where they're coming from, and moreover this isn't some small startup. Sony may not be what they used to be, but they're still a multi billion dollar company with a lot of history in the market. Vita's good to go. We're ok to go. Ok to go.

StuBurns

Banned
duffyside said:
Well if it were just one or two of them acting this way it wouldn't be as noteworthy, but all of them seem to feel the same way. I think that each of them and everyone on the Weekend Confirmed segment want a Vita shows that while "mainstream America" may be satisfied with their phone, "hardcore" gamers are extremely interested in the Vita. And there are a lot more of those type of people than many think. I think the Vita is going to be more successful than the PSP; maybe not in hardware sales, but definitely in software.
I don't think PSV will sell as well as PSP, but PSP did very well, like 70M units at this point. Software, who knows, the issue is if it'll get the software support, and it won't unless it gets the install base.
duffyside said:
I don't know, it just all comes off to me as "Oh my gosh, this is the best restaurant! The food is great, the service is outstanding, it has awesome atmosphere, and I can't believe how affordable it is! ... But yo, there's a McDonald's down the street, so you're fucked."
The difference is, any restaurant can afford to get hold of Kobe beef to draw in those high end customers. Sony needs publishers to sink millions of dollars into PSV exclusive software. It's a much bigger challenge.
duffyside said:
It just seems crazy to me. If Vita had just one or two hooks I could see where they're coming from, and moreover this isn't some small startup. Sony may not be what they used to be, but they're still a multi billion dollar company with a lot of history in the market. Vita's good to go. We're ok to go. Ok to go.
That's not a lock by any stretch. This is a tough market, Sony lost half their market share in a single generation with the PS3.

mujun

duffyside said:

I don't know if your analogy works, the restaurant is the hardware, right? Where does software fit in?

Personally, seems to me that the key is software pricing. If Sony can get a bunch of popular iOS stuff onto the Vita at comparable prices in addition to their "not far off a PS3" games then maybe they could carve out a nice piece of the market for themselves despite the competition.

Top Bottom