• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 9/16/2011: TOKYO GAME SHOW 2011

Jonnyram said:
Apparently 8-4 is working on Dragon's Dogma.
Very happy to hear that. It's an awesome game and hope it does well in the West.
It's basically Monster Hunter for the West, imo.

NAME THE MAIN MALE CHARACTER RYU
NAME THE MAIN FEMALE CHARACTER NINA
CRAM IN AS MANY BREATH OF FIRE EASTER EGGS AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE

Despite capcom's best efforts I will get a new BOF this generation even if its only in my head

Jonnyram said:

That's basically the conclusion I came to after watching Dragon's Dogma for a bit. The cut scenes and setting seem to be very well done up in European medieval fantasy style. That said, tacking them onto what's basically Monster Hunter seems like something of a waste. It's as if Capcom has this game engine that couldn't be sold to the West thus far, and is getting a new coat of paint to give it another go.

Riposte

8-4 is really looking like the only Japan podcast right now lol. I guess no WAHP is to to be expected, but no Red Sun Gamer so far is a big letdown.

EDIT: IMO Monster Hunter is all about the weapons and how you control them. However I do think that if Dragon's Dogma is a huge success in Japan(it probably won't be), then a true "HD" Monster Hunter game will be developed.

Riposte said:
8-4 is really looking like the only Japan podcast right now lol. I guess no WAHP is to to be expected, but no Red Sun Gamer so far is a big letdown.

On twitter RedSunGamer said they were planning on recording a podcast last night

Jonnyram

Cheesemeister said:
That's basically the conclusion I came to after watching Dragon's Dogma for a bit. The cut scenes and setting seem to be very well done up in European medieval fantasy style. That said, tacking them onto what's basically Monster Hunter seems like something of a waste. It's as if Capcom has this game engine that couldn't be sold to the West thus far, and is getting a new coat of paint to give it another go.
Maybe I said that too simply. The combat seems considerably deeper than that, from what I played. And the controls are quite complex, with LB and RB acting like shift/ctrl modifiers, rather than controls in their own right. The boss monsters shared a lot of similar aspects to MH monsters, but additions like the HP bar (plus varying states) make this a bit more complex than MH. I'm not really sure how complex the AI for your NPCs goes though.

Mrbob

The guys blew over the Playstation Suite info too quickly. Suite isn't just an xperia play feature to cross port those games. Suite is Sony initiative for Android gaming in general.

Look at the Vita hardware. Internal equipment is very similar to iOS. Not sure what the final digital area will be called on Vita, but there will be cross platform digital games iOS devices and Android. In fact there are some iOS games ready for the western Vita launch already and the developers are just waiting for the hardware to be out.

Edit1: Shane I'm blaming you if Vita indie game selection isn't up to par!

Edit2: Mark with a White Man Wasted joke when Garnett shows up, very nice!

Edit3: Deer Milker GOTY!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Thats a lot of hate on the Ni No Kuni worldmap lol, especially considering its the prettiest worldmap Ive ever seen on an RPG.

Does the PS3 version have the same combat as the DS version? If the combat aint fun, thats a big drawback :\

Anyways, fun episode and congrats to Shane :)

StuBurns

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Thats a lot of hate on the Ni No Kuni worldmap lol, especially considering its the prettiest worldmap Ive ever seen on an RPG.

Does the PS3 version have the same combat as the DS version? If the combat ant fun, thats a big drawback :\

Anyways, fun episode and congrats to Shane :)
Nope.

Peru

Good show, started getting into this podcast the past months and think it'll be my first weekly listen in a long while.

LiK

Peru said:
Good show, started getting into this podcast the past months and think it'll be my first weekly listen in a long while.
Worth it just for Mark MacD's blunt comments. Makes me laugh so much.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So on my phone I did a search for 8-4 Play, then I subscribed and downloaded the latest episode. Special guest ManGod and they're talking about 3DS and Vita and TGS. But something was off, then I realized I was listening to 9-23-10 episode from LAST YEAR! I listened for over an hour, how embarassing that it took me that long.
KuGsj.gif

Thing is, Shane was pimping Ignition stuff and I was like "I thought he quit". Oh wow, I feel like an idiot.

Gomu Gomu

EhtBr.jpg

Happy annivirary. And thanks the amazing 29 podcasts this past year. I'm honored to be there from day 1.
Every podcast I know got it's stride in it's second year. If this is how good you were in your 1st year, I can't wait to see what you got next year :).

creid

Haven't finished listening, and I might have the wrong name, but JJ said that Binary Domain's story would be good because it's from the Yakuza team. AFAIK, they hired authors to write the stories for Yakuza 1-4, so if they don't do that for BD I don't think we should get our hopes up.

StuBurns

Banned
Speaking of names, Shane called JJ sprsk, and JJ called John Johntv.

Is that just for GAF or do you guys actually call each other by your GAF names?

EDIT: Well, no one called Shane LiquidSwords, but other than that.

StuBurns said:
Speaking of names, Shane called JJ sprsk, and JJ called John Johntv.

EDIT: Well, no one called Shane LiquidSwords, but other than that.

To be fair, those aren't just their GAF names.

Balb

Congrats Shane! If I can give one suggestion though: less shilling. Too much El-Shaddai and Quarrel stuff in my Twitter feed :(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
StuBurns said:
Okay, true. It still seems odd to me.
Shane has called me sporks for as long as I've known him. Dunno why!

I don't even remember calling john johntv, lol.

Ondore

Balb said:
Congrats Shane! If I can give one suggestion though: less shilling. Too much El-Shaddai and Quarrel stuff in my Twitter feed :(

You won't have to worry about that anymore.

You'll get Uncharted and PixelJunk pimping instead.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
creid said:
My most important TGS question wasn't answered - did anybody get the Monster Hunter bag?
I got the bag.
They apparently gave them to everyone who played as I didn't kill D.J. Tyson. I did manage to blow up his head though. Given a couple more minutes I probably would have taken him.

He's tough, and if you get caught with the goop it does insaaaaaane damage if it explodes on you. He's not as spastic as Jin Ogre and I feel he fits in better too, no electric fireballs or flips all over the place.

Coheno

The last 3 podcasts have been some of my favorite...might be because of all the pre TGS talks and the Frankenstick...but still some of my favorite podcasting! And congrats on the 1 year anniversary, it has been 29 glorious podcasts!

Also congrats to mangod on the new gig! Guessing he'll be working with Nick Suttner on those pub-funded games?

StuBurns

Banned
About the RE PSP thing, while it could have become RE:R, there was talk yesterday that it actually became RE:RC, which would make sense, if you're going to farm out an action game for PSP, Slant Six are the perfect studio to approach.

Coheno

Sorry for double-post... But also: Ryan Peyton is suprisingly awesome to listen to! Could he be like a 8-4Play semi-permanent member while he's in Japan?!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

i was actually thinking about this today - i don't think i've called Sporks by his real name ever. Which is kind of weird.

Infact - when i heard Wintern call him JJ my reaction was ".... who?!" and then felt a right dope for not getting it.

Jonnyram said:
Apparently 8-4 is working on Dragon's Dogma.
Very happy to hear that. It's an awesome game and hope it does well in the West.

I remember when Lost Planet 2 was supposed to be Monster Hunter for the west :(

Dragon's Dogma looks cool. Glad to hear Gravity Daze is good and Binary Domain is a surprise.

also, I don't think Phantasy Star Online 2 will be such a beast if it's a free to play game. I don't know if parts are more expensive in Japan, but it shouldn't cost more than a new console (circa 2006) and most graphics cards have HDMI out to easily connect with TVs

BOTEC

I hate the "wait till next episode" surprise tracklist reveals they do. Anybody want to help a brotha out and name the ending theme used this week? I know I've heard it a million times before and will hit myself when I finally learn what game that's from. I'm guessing it's something by Mitsuda?

Top Bottom