• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4Play 11/26/10: MERRY THANKSGIVING GET (feat CheapyD)

Ondore

435.jpg

In Tokyo, the holiday season brings a mix of imported Western traditions and uniquely Japanese flavors (Google "Japan KFC Christmas" if you don't know what we mean), so that's exactly what this T-day episode of 8-4 Play delivers. A rundown on the best Black Friday gaming deals one minute, a detailed explanation of table-flipping arcade title Cho-Chabudai Gaeshi the next. Hardcore Final Fantasy IV: The After Years and Tactics Ogre talk here, ultra-casual Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood chat there. As special guest CheapyD of cheapassgamer.com would say: "There you go!"

Length: 2:06:58
Direct Link

iTunes

RSS

BatmanBat... wait, wrong show.
Mark MacDonald Appreciation Society

LQX

This is the best podcast to ever exist in all the years of podcasting....not really but will give it a listen especially to hear what CheapyD is like.

Gowans

Been really enjoying this podcast.

Really enjoy listening CheapyD's opinions and tastes in games too, will be nice to hear him in the cast. Should get a couple of the guys over to his show too.

Will listen soon.

YES !! :D :D :D

Now that a lot of podcast are taking a break this week because of Thanksgiving I love it when there is some dedication!

Will listen tomorrow on my way and back from work :)

john tv

Suzzopher said:
Tactics Ogre talk:D
Ah, lemme tell you now, don't get your hopes up for that one. :) We just touch on it a bit (though the show's end music might please you). We'll get into it more in-depth when the US version gets closer to release -- I'm holding out for the localized version this time!

Gong

Well done on getting CheapyD in for a guest appearance, he`s quite a character. Will listen later :D

john tv

Gacha-pin said:
@John TV

I don't know how it works on a audio podcast but any chance to bring Japanese dev for guests?
Definitely. Already got a few lined up (and even some requests to be on), but it's all about the timing. Nothing in the immediate future, but definitely got some cool stuff planned once 2011 kicks off. :)

Grimmy

Banned
Is this a Japanese-oriented podcast? I'm 1:30 in and half the time they are talking about the new Assassin's Creed and Need for Speed. If I wanted to hear about those, I'd listen to all the other Western-oriented podcasts out there.

Gowans

Cheapy fills a nice gap in this show, hope he becomes a semi regular.

Great show, seemed like they could have talked fpr ages (& I would have listened).

Xater

Ha they even read my old ass comment. right now I would have asked for some Gundam vs. Gundam Extrme love. ;)

Anyway, since you guys will be talking about MH next week what do you guys think is the future of the franchise? Is there even one on home consoles? Capcom seems to really get behind 3DS so will the series migrate over to that platform?

Ondore

Grimmy said:
Is this a Japanese-oriented podcast? I'm 1:30 in and half the time they are talking about the new Assassin's Creed and Need for Speed. If I wanted to hear about those, I'd listen to all the other Western-oriented podcasts out there.

Hope you listened to the last 45 minutes. It doesn't get any more Japanese than tea-table turning arcade games.

Also, updated OP by request and fixed a typo (spot it and win the Official NeoGAF No-Prize).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
john tv said:
Ah, lemme tell you now, don't get your hopes up for that one. :) We just touch on it a bit (though the show's end music might please you). We'll get into it more in-depth when the US version gets closer to release -- I'm holding out for the localized version this time!

Yeah me too.. as much as I want to play it NOW

Grimmy

Banned
Ondore said:
Hope you listened to the last 45 minutes. It doesn't get any more Japanese than tea-table turning arcade games.

Also, updated OP by request and fixed a typo (spot it and win the Official NeoGAF No-Prize).

While that's true, and I appreciate the Tactics Ogre discussion as well, in the end I listen to this podcast because you guys have a specific niche, and that is you are in Japan and have more opportunities to cover the games there. But half the time you are just discussing Western games - something everyone else is already covering. The Imageepoch announcement devolved into an awful whining about why the games should not be on the PSP, while not a single game from the announcement was even discussed. Why?

It's a shame that Morning Radio podcast comes so infrequently, because so far it has shown that it's leaps and bounds more knowledgeable about Japanese gaming than 8-4 Play...sorry.

Doopliss

Grimmy said:
While that's true, and I appreciate the Tactics Ogre discussion as well, in the end I listen to this podcast because you guys have a specific niche, and that is you are in Japan and have more opportunities to cover the games there. But half the time you are just discussing Western games - something everyone else is already covering. The Imageepoch announcement devolved into an awful whining about why the games should not be on the PSP, while not a single game from the announcement was even discussed. Why?

It's a shame that Morning Radio podcast comes so infrequently, because so far it has shown that it's leaps and bounds more knowledgeable about Japanese gaming than 8-4 Play...sorry.
Indeed, my friend. 8-4 Play has just shot themselves in the foot. Personally I no longer admire this podcast. To the Japanese gaming fans, let's have a revenge. We will NOT subscribe to this podcast any more unless 8-4 refrain from talking about any western game, and furthermore edit out any mention of them in previous episodes. That way they will never have big listenership, and they can kiss their profits goodbye.

I guess you could say that 8-4 Play has played its final level.

Grimmy

Banned
Doopliss said:
Indeed, my friend. 8-4 Play has just shot themselves in the foot. Personally I no longer admire this podcast. To the Japanese gaming fans, let's have a revenge. We will NOT subscribe to this podcast any more unless 8-4 refrain from talking about any western game, and furthermore edit out any mention of them in previous episodes. That way they will never have big listenership, and they can kiss their profits goodbye.

I guess you could say that 8-4 Play has played its final level.

Oh please. That's such a tired meme.

At the end of the day it's their podcast, and if I don't think it's right for me then I can just choose to listen to something else. I'm just saying that they are in a special position - to be in Japan and cover Japanese gaming. So I just wish that their podcast takes advantage of that more. I know I'm in the minority but I want to hear about Dangan-Ronpa and Radiant Historia rather than games that are already out here.

MarkMacD

All feedback is welcome, and wanting more talk about Japanese games, as we -are- in Japan (and that's the basic thrust of the show, after all) is a perfectly valid request.

What I can say is that we hear you, and we agree, and we wish we had time recently to play more Japanese games to talk about, too. Hopefully we will soon.

That said, we are always going to talk about Western games to some extent, just 'cause we will always be playing them too. Hopefully, as we evolve, we can find a good balance. (But if you're really into imports, may I also recommend WARNING! A Huge Podcast Is Approaching Fast!)

Finally: We consider our audience's time extremely, EXTREMELY valuable, so if anyone doesn't want to listen to a game/section/or even whole episode they don't think is worth their precious time (see: Monster Hunter episode next week :), we don't want them to either! Which is why we try to let listeners know beforehand what all we talk about (with stuff like the timestamps that go up with each episode at 8-4.jp), so they can decide for themselves if they want to listen or not.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and thanks for listening (or having listened, if you are now sworn off us!)

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Am I the only one that doesn't get the cover of the Podcasts on iTunes when downloading episodes? This is the only subscription where I get this kind of problem.

Regardless of that, downloading.

Grimmy

Banned
MarkMacD said:
All feedback is welcome, and wanting more talk about Japanese games, as we -are- in Japan (and that's the basic thrust of the show, after all) is a perfectly valid request.

What I can say is that we hear you, and we agree, and we wish we had time recently to play more Japanese games to talk about, too. Hopefully we will soon.

That said, we are always going to talk about Western games to some extent, just 'cause we will always be playing them too. Hopefully, as we evolve, we can find a good balance. (But if you're really into imports, may I also recommend WARNING! A Huge Podcast Is Approaching Fast!)

Finally: We consider our audience's time extremely, EXTREMELY valuable, so if anyone doesn't want to listen to a game/section/or even whole episode they don't think is worth their precious time (see: Monster Hunter episode next week :), we don't want them to either! Which is why we try to let listeners know beforehand what all we talk about (with stuff like the timestamps that go up with each episode at 8-4.jp), so they can decide for themselves if they want to listen or not.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and thanks for listening (or having listened, if you are now sworn off us!)

Thanks for the considerate response Mark. Didn't mean to be so critical but I just listened to another podcast talking about Assassin's Creed and guess I got a bit annoyed that a Japanese-oriented podcast would be essentially covering what everyone else is covering. But I hear you on the fact that you still should talk about the games you are playing, regardless of where it's from. And it was great that you gave props to WARNING! A Huge Podcast, which I am already a fan of.

Again, I appreciate the very level-headed reply - and because of it I will definitely continue to listen to this podcast :)

am i one of the few people who listen to podcasts because i care about the specific opinions expressed on them? i don't expect 8-4 to follow any particular format or content model other than "totally awesome". i don't care about hearing discussion on the same game/event/story 3-4 times a week as long as something new is at least brought to the table every time.

mollipen

Grimmy said:
And it was great that you gave props to WARNING! A Huge Podcast, which I am already a fan of.

They did what? FFFFFUUUU! Great, thanks for ruining the opening on our latest episode by mentioning us, you jerks!

flawfuls

shidoshi said:
They did what? FFFFFUUUU! Great, thanks for ruining the opening on our latest episode by mentioning us, you jerks!

I think he just meant the post above. I don't think they mentioned you guys in the actual podcast.

mollipen

flawfuls said:
I think he just meant the post above. I don't think they mentioned you guys in the actual podcast.

Oh, okay, good. Our struggle against our oppression continues to be justified then!

Curufinwe

Not listening to this episode since that mainstream asshole CheapyD is on, and I'm unsubscribing in case he's ever on again in the future.

There's people on GAF who hate anything and everything, so don't sweat it, Cheapy. Enjoying the CAGcast Live: Black Friday Super Show of Savings 2010 featuring Gaming Jesus right now!

Top Bottom