• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80 killed in Nice, France terrorist attack: truck into crowd, gunfire,"Stay indoors"

Status
Not open for further replies.
30-50 sounds accurate based on the size of the truck and crowd density. Something needs to be done here if this is isis.

I understand no one wants war but enough is enough.

How can you stop something like this? You can't. It just requires one man in a truck to turn the wheel and drive into a crowd. You could have troops posted every 20ft feet on every street 24 hours a day and it still wouldn't prevent this from happening.

Maxim726X

Kinda surprised we haven't gotten to that point already.

Sadly, I don't think it's big enough a tragedy.

But it's unfortunate that most of us realize the only thing preventing further military intervention is a fucking catastrophic loss of life.

kirblar

This is an ideological war, not a geographical one. France and Belgium have huge problems with extremist sympathies within their own population.
The lack of integration causing issues in the EU states is something that isn't intuitive to those in the states given immigrant behavior here.

Crowbear

My parents are in Nice right now (and are thankfully safe) and I was just there a few days ago. This is absolutely horrifying.

Was just going to bed in a positive mood, not now, such a terrible tragedy, can only hope those seriously injured get help ASAP, and everyone else stays safe,

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is this confirmed as an attack or freak accident?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
30-50 sounds accurate based on the size of the truck and crowd density. Something needs to be done here if this is isis.

I understand no one wants war but enough is enough.

Killing every single ISIS soldier in Iraq and Syria won't stop terrorism in Europe. That Islamist cancer growth has already spread throughout western Europe. There are terrorist cells everywhere, and thanks to Saudi Arabia there are now plenty of Salafist preachers going round, spreading hate, radicalizing young muslims and western converts to take up arms and fight the unbelievers in Europe instead of the Caliphate.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yeah portuguese news saying its an attack now also (according to their sources)

"Dire things are happening. Plague? Funny weather? Why are we watching the news, reading the news, keeping up with the news? Only to enforce our fancy -- probably a necessary lie -- that these are crucial times, and we are in on them. Newly revealed, and I am in the know: crazy people, bunches of them! New diseases, sways in power, floods! Can the news from dynastic Egypt have been any different?"
The Wreck of Time

That's a nice sentiment and I agree that perspective is key. The world is on fire, though.

20151121_woc539.png

Take into account that this chart is from 2014, the situation in Iraq is possibly even worse, killings in Bangladesh, Turkey and Libya have soared, and western countries have also been affected.

Beefy

Some person on my twitter feed tweeted the pics of the people that got hot lying on the ground. So messed up.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Everyone in the area or with loved ones there, I hope you all the best, and please stay safe! I just look over at Off-Topic everyone once in a while, saw this, first I've heard of it, and it sounds dreadful.

Dreadful so many have died already, and hope the police crackdown on this soon.

Sayter

CNN reporting witness saw the truck mow people down. As the truck hit people the driver accelerated to hit more. Unbelievable.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
"Peut-être une trentaine de morts, une centaine de blessés"
> maybe around 30 dead and 100 wounded, according to the prefect just now.

That's a nice sentiment and I agree that perspective is key. The world is on fire, though.

20151121_woc539.png

Take into account that this chart is from 2014, the situation in Iraq is possibly even worse, killings in Bangladesh, Turkey and Libya have soared, and western countries have also been affected.

It's also that strange fact that, let's face it, this is still one of the most peaceful times in recent history. No World Wars, Colonialism isn't rampant, and so on.

We are looking at Humanity at its most peaceful known state. For better, and clearly, for worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom