• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s horror movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guzim

One of the best!

1986-trick-or-treat-VIDEO1.jpg

I you like 80s hair metal you gotta watch this!

I need to see this movie.

I will also say that the segment "They're Creeping Up on You!" from Creepshow scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

As far as horror movies go, nothing tops the 1980's. My top 2 favorite horror movies of all time are The Shining (1980) and The Thing (1982). My horror movie collection is dominated by 80's horror.

This past week alone I've watched Invaders From Mars, CHUD, Night of the Creeps, and Fright Night all via Netflix.

Scifi and Fantasy were also great in the 80's.

I admit it. It's one of the best in the series.

Glad to see that im not the only one that thinks 3 was the best

Thered is brining back memories of going to the video store when i was a kid and looking at all the horror movie box art. 80s horror were all about monsters and creatures. Took 50s horror and amped it up, while 70s horror was more gritty and real. 2 best eras.

One of the best!

1986-trick-or-treat-VIDEO1.jpg

I you like 80s hair metal you gotta watch this!

Trick or Treat was awesome. Gotta give a shout out to it's non-related cheesier cousin:

rock+roll+poster.png

Fuckin' energy, baby!

And speaking about cheesy horror flicks with awesome 80s music:

220px-Shockerposter.jpg

I mean, damn, Paul Stanley, Desmond Child, Vivian Campbell, Guy Mann Dude, Rudy Sarzo, Tommy Lee...

And for a nice little horror anthology:

Always loved the Bishop of Battle story(one of the first video game themed horror stories).

Xero

i doubt a lot of the awesome sounding ones that i havent seen are on netflix. I'm still mad they've never had phantasm on their.

slit

i doubt a lot of the awesome sounding ones that i havent seen are on netflix. I'm still mad they've never had phantasm on their.

Netflix had all four up at one time. Believe me I know, Phantasm series is one of my faves.

3 of my favorites and already mentioned (I'm sure)

American Werewolf in London

I really like the beginning when they walk through the night and are stalked by the monster.

Night of the Creeps

The scene with the axe is what stayed with me over the years, also the last letter of the main protagonists friend. The first thing I thought about when finding a similar letter in the game Resident Evil 1. Favorite zombie film.

Fright Night 1 and 2

I remember the movie poster hanging everywhere when i was a kid and the the face creeped me out. I love both movies, best vampire films for me. Have not seen the remake and don't plan to.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn, after reading this thread I have to buy so many new Horrorflicks :D

The 80s were really the best decade for almost everything.

Cant really say what my favourite 80s horrormovie was.

Maybe Nightmare on Elm Street, I cant really say because there is so many.

You sure it's not Superstition? That's the only movie I can think of with someone getting split in half by a window Lol: http://youtu.be/NTuzLY1HzZo?t=10m18s

Superstition is almost never brought up. It's almost been forgotten about.

I'd never heard about it as a teen, until I went to a small video store and found horror movie VHS tapes for a few bucks. I got several, and Superstition was the best/most memorable.

Thanks for the link, as I may watch it again.

Night of the Creeps

The scene with the axe is what stayed with me over the years, also the last letter of the main protagonists friend. The first thing I thought about when finding a similar letter in the game Resident Evil 1. Favorite zombie film.
The entire movie is played like a goofy college comedy with horror aspects, but the scene with the friend is pretty fuckin' depressing. Interesting how you can totally swallow a shift in tone if the characters are that likable. That's what I found interesting with a lot of horror movies of the 80s, they just wrote some damn likable characters. You cared that they were going through fucked up, nightmarish shit, and you wanted them to pull through! And when they died, you'd sit back with your hand over your mouth and say, "Oh no, not them! I liked them!!".

Fright Night 1 and 2

I remember the movie poster hanging everywhere when i was a kid and the the face creeped me out. I love both movies, best vampire films for me. Have not seen the remake and don't plan to.
Fright Night is a GREAT vampire movie. It seems to be written for horror fans(Charlie's a big time horror geek, as is Evil Ed) and treats their vampires as a mixture between the romantic sexual beast and a fuckin' SCARY ass undead monster. They didn't go into either extremities(where I find a LOT of modern vampire movies tend to go with the heavy romantic themes, or basically turning vampires into zombies/mindless beasts with fangs). I mean, fuck, the first movie, alone, the vampires in "vamp form" were things straight out of my worst dreams:

Travo

You haven't lived until you've seen Troll and Troll 2. Troll 2 is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen...but so damn fun.

Loved the 80s horror era and that is exactly what we are missing today. There is an indie horror film coming out later this month called, "The Demon's Rook" that reminds me of 80's era horror movies. Anyways here's a trailer:

http://youtu.be/GshKaO5QFR4

8034576_orig.jpg

Please let it be good...

Saw this at last years Screamfest LA. It was good, excellent soundtrack and awesome practical effects. Hokey acting but its a horror movie. Very enjoyable

Xero

You haven't lived until you've seen Troll and Troll 2. Troll 2 is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen...but so damn fun.

while not great by any fucking means troll 1 is very underrated. Plus it has atreyu as harry potter.

woah i love the art

Yup, that poster is one of the best 80's horror posters. I'm so glad this thread appeared. I used to watch a ton of 80's horror movies in my teens and I've been looking to get back into the genre after a small break. There are so many films in this thread I haven't heard of, so this should give me a great start!

My contribution:

MV5BMTMzOTU0OTk5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI3MzI0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

This is a great early 80s Italian horror film. I'm more of an Argento fan than Fulci, but this film is so unsettling, strange, and gory. The plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's good fun.

The remake is actually decent. Of course nowhere near as good as the original. But really surprisingly good.

Love 70s, 80s, early 90s horror.

Jarrod38

Some great holiday horror movies
April Fool's Day
My Bloody Valentine
Mother's Day
Silent Night, Deadly Night
New Year's Evil
Prom Night
Graduation Day

I love that this has become a horror movie poster thread.

The 1980s had the best movie poster/VHS cover art out of ANY decade. Sure beats the lazy photoshop collage you got in the late 90s to now. Though, I think some of that nostalgia for the 80s has lead for some studios to make poster/promo art with that calssic 80s feel. To me, that's a good thing!

Some more cool, goofy 80s horror movies:

Neon_Maniacs_FilmPoster.jpeg

Something I've notices scanning through this thread and looking at all the posters, the majority of these movies all had unique fonts.

Nokterian

The 1980s had the best movie poster/VHS cover art out of ANY decade. Sure beats the lazy photoshop collage you got in the late 90s to now. Though, I think some of that nostalgia for the 80s has lead for some studios to make poster/promo art with that calssic 80s feel. To me, that's a good thing!

Some more cool, goofy 80s horror movies:

Something I've notices scanning through this thread and looking at all the posters, the majority of these movies all had unique fonts.

Every poster would it be horror or action. All these posters from the 80's and 90's where great there art in a big way and unique. You do not see it anymore these days.

Every poster would it be horror or action. All these posters from the 80's and 90's where great there art in a big way and unique. You do not see it anymore these days.

I wonder if some of it has to do with what happened with Matthew Peak(the artist that did the majority of the A Nightmare on Elm Street artworks). Basically you had studios hiring great artists straight out of art school who were willing to make a name for themselves, and seeing that their art would be used to promote movies, they basically jumped at the opportunity(as well as worked on the cheap, considering even the more lowest budget horror flicks also had some impressive poster/cover art).

Some more cool, goofy 80s horror movies:.

I agree with that... I miss hand painted posters. even the lowest of B-movie schlock would have some really epic looking posters. There used to be an art form to creating amazing movie posters, but it feels like the event of Photoshop has regressed things so much in this respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom