• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s horror movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magus1234

Oh wow, great thread. 80s and 90s horror is my favorite movie era.

Might of been posted but here are some of my fav's

Spookies 1986
Poster_of_the_movie_Spookies.jpg

Classic kids in haunted house type film with a strange twist. Lots of ghouls and terrors.

La Casa 3 or Ghost House 1988
la-casa-3.jpg

Low budget dubbed terribly but haunting and most well known for the doll and little girl.
La_casa_3.jpg

The Thing, Waxwork and Hellraiser are my all time favorites and the earliest movies I remember seeing as a kid that I liked.

I respectfully disagree and say Videodrome is a straight up 10 out of 5 with quality that only exponentially reveals itself each time you rewatch it. I believe it's Cronenberg's best.

And I agree with your disagreement. I’m no expert in 80s horror, just an amateur. This was my first time watching Videodrome, but I’ve seen Cronenberg’s other 80s works. I liked more Scanners and The Fly, the latter is one of my favorite 80s movies. I'm becoming something that never existed before. I'm becoming... Brundlefly.

Ah, Creepshow

roaches-bursting-out.gif

Beautiful.

I remember one from the early 80's that had these red, winged creatures and one of them got shot with a flare gun near the end. There was a helicopter involved too. Anyone have any clue which movie that might be?

Enk

makes good threads.
i am glad basket case is mentioned. Love the first one, the other 2 are well, really stupid but still good for a laugh.

Since we're on the subject, I got this little guy the other day.

FD068CCC-B7E8-4892-8DC3-CF5D12B168CA_zpsqrr84ytx.jpg

He's so huggable!

Yes that is a lament configuration throw blanket behind him.

I've watched a fair amount of horror movies from the 80s, and while it has a certain... flair to it, I never found it particularly appealing.

I much prefer the straightfaced lack of awareness tone of early 00s horror films.

Fav 80s horror film, tho?
Halloween III. Best Halloween movie and awesome fun.
tumblr_mvhxjxvHuT1qj7u8ao1_500.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
6aRpKqr.png

Long Live The New Flesh

Videodrome is a 1983 cult film starring James Woods as Max Renn, director of a local low-budget TV channel. He searches to push the limits of sensational TV by looking for the most depraved content to feed his audience with. He soon discovers “Videodrome”, a clandestine snuff-like show where people get hurt “very convincingly”. His findings, however, come with a price. As Renn’s obsession with Videodrome takes him on a journey full of pain, fear, mental degradation and conspiracies. What is reality? Television is reality, and reality is less than television.

WH0uV3a.png

I often see Videodrome referred as a must-see for 80s horror fans. I’d say that this film is not pure 80s classic horror, but dwells more on the Sci-Fi thriller genre. It is very surreal, and not all the plot points are explicitly exposed. There’s a point in the film where the audience is constantly trying to guess whether the situations the characters are facing are indeed real or all part of their constant hallucinating. I find this really engaging, but it may obfuscate the plot more than necessary. Acting is decent. Woods gets the job done, however, the performance I enjoyed the most was that by Blondie frontwoman, Debbie Harry. She plays a sadomasochistic psychiatrist who is aroused by Videodrome. This fatal attraction comes, too, with a price. Sadly, her scenes are only a few.

MvX0Ene.png

The practical effects are not many, but when presented, are excellent. Moderately gory and grotesque, I’d say, and all in service of the surreal, what-the-hell-is-going-on, atmosphere offered by the movie.

Good stuff, although a little muddy on the plotline. I give this movie three meaty Betamax cassettes out of five.

6KWMUt3.png

So great. I rewatch this movie once a year ever summer alongside Superia and I cant wait to rewatch it this year again.

Metalmarc

What I'd really like to get is a book of 80's Horror VHS covers Art and or Posters, something like that is bound to exist right? I'll check on amazon later after work

Pieces was an awful movie that was "forgotten" and went to public domain releases for years. Wasn't till recent were the movie was pushed as a "hidden gem", as in so bad it's good slasher. It's not good, it's also not really bad enough to be funny. The absurdity of it can make it kinda fun.... but yea I think it's the most overrated movies that folks have been pushing in recent years.

Enk

makes good threads.
Holy shit, I need both of those. Where'd you get them?

The Belial pillow (called "My Lil Belial") was from Horror Decor, but it was a limited time offer. This was the second version they've done. The first one came with its own little basket!

The Lament Configuration throw blanket was originally something I was trying to custom make, but ended up stumbling upon an Etsy seller that was already making them!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pieces was an awful movie that was "forgotten" and went to public domain releases for years. Wasn't till recent were the movie was pushed as a "hidden gem", as in so bad it's good slasher.

That's just not true. Pieces has always been a cult favourite, enjoyed ironically for its entertaining badness more than anything else. Hence nudging ad-lines like "you don't have to go to Texas for a chainsaw massacre" and "It's exactly what you think it is." Chas Balun championed it for years.

Its a Spanish/Puerto-rican copy of an Italian exploitationer ripping off an American slasher movie! What's not to like?

gamz

That's just not true. Pieces has always been a cult favourite, enjoyed ironically for its entertaining badness more than anything else. Hence nudging ad-lines like "you don't have to go to Texas for a chainsaw massacre" and "It's exactly what you think it is." Chas Balun championed it for years.

Its a Spanish/Puerto-rican copy of an Italian exploitationer ripping off an American slasher movie! What's not to like?

Holy shit. That's a name I haven't heard in a long while.

He died in 2009. Didn't know that. He was a legend in the Fangoria days.

The Belial pillow (called "My Lil Belial") was from Horror Decor, but it was a limited time offer. This was the second version they've done. The first one came with its own little basket!

The Lament Configuration throw blanket was originally something I was trying to custom make, but ended up stumbling upon an Etsy seller that was already making them!

Thanks for the info. I totally forgot about that Belial pillow existing. I saw it after the first run went though. I can't believe I missed it again!

The Lament Configuration blanket is friggin' awesome, but those prices are a bit too high for me.

I might grab one of the Lament Configuration pillows from horrordecor. That's almost as cool as the throw blanket (not really).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom