• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s horror movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Didn't see this one mentioned. Watch it. As scary as it was, I watched it when I was hitting puberty, and some of the scenes here with the woman just.....did it for me! :p

mausoleum.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I remember Monkeyshines being fuggin terrifying when I was a kid.

On a different note, Carolco's DeepStar Six was also a competent horror film in the vein of Alien but heavily inspired by Abyss.

eIw69ic.jpg

Trailer.

Man, those old posters were just magical.

Found a bunch while looking on Amazon for the Waxworks blu ray. Sadly its only available on DVD. But a bunch of these old horror movies are super cheap.

I hope all of these are 80's movies. I loved the Puppet Master movies. I'm eyeing that box set.

Rydeen

This is pretty relevant to this thread's interests:

https://youtu.be/gCuxP725ctY

While the UK was going through it's "Video Nasty" scare, 20/20 aired this "shocking" expose on 'VCR Horrors', notice how they show the kids the slapstick Evil Dead 2, and show the adults 'Make Them Die Slowly / Cannibal Feroux', as though the two are even comparable. Or the way they edit the kids watching Evil Dead 2 to make it look like they're laughing at the much more brutal kill in Renny Harlin's 'Prison'.

lordxar

Put my 2 cents in the 70's thread, time to put it here too. These are some I've watched in the last year. All but Rawhead Rex are recommended. Rawhead was pretty bad.

The Church
Stagefright: Aquarius
Inferno
Demons
Videodrome
The House by the Cemetery
Phenomena
Rawhead Rex
Tenebre

It's hard to say which decade was better. I'd give a nod to the 70's simply because of the atmosphere and lack of cheese but for every Alien there is a Thing so it's kind of a toss up.

As to the big ones: Friday the 13th was a pretty cool series. Nightmare on Elm Street always felt too corny or cartoonish maybe for my taste. Halloween may have started in the 70's but as an 80's kid, that will always be an 80's series. Hellraiser was definitely the darkest of the big series. Child's Play was ok.

The Fog. I still remember seeing this as a kid. Evil Dead...yea. Call me crazy but Halloween 3 was awesome.

Rydeen

That little dude in the Munchies poster has a cigar and a beer. Gotta check that out.

That series is weird. The first one is a pretty straight-up Gremlins knock-off like Ghoulies and Critters, but the second one becomes a weird family comedy with Dom Deluise voicing an ugly costumed critter with wacky hijinks.

munchie.jpg

Rydeen

Guys there is this movie I have been thinking about for years. I saw it when I was a kid all I remember are these flying things with teeth flying on people and killing them. I want to say it was 80's but maybe early 90's.Sounds familiar to anyone?
Were they really bad CG? If they were really bad CGI it was probably The Langoliers.

That series is weird. The first one is a pretty straight-up Gremlins knock-off like Ghoulies and Critters, but the second one becomes a weird family comedy with Dom Deluise voicing an ugly costumed critter with wacky hijinks.

munchie.jpg

Yo I remember that pizza riding fool, memory lane.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
My 80s horror crown jewels

My Freddy glove collection. Nothing past 1991.

142566249780019389910maowc.jpg

And this autograph from George Mihalka, director of My Bloody Valentine (best slasher from 1981, the best slasher year):

11719916_101542711442nkq6c.jpg

Also have many masks/busts from other movies (full wall of hockey masks). But these are the jewels!

Rydeen

Years before Night of the Creeps finally came out on DVD, I rented Night of the Comet thinking it was Night of the Creeps, only to be disappointed it wasn't the movie I thought it was. I should really re-watch Night of the Comet without the confusion.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Years before Night of the Creeps finally came out on DVD, I rented Night of the Comet thinking it was Night of the Creeps, only to be disappointed it wasn't the movie I thought it was. I should really re-watch Night of the Comet without the confusion.

Movie freaked me out as a kid! But thankfully I had a huge crush on the main actress so it got me through it ;)

I saw her once in NYC when I was older, she still looked great! She was also in the last starfighter:

EYIzYQI.png

I recently watched this movie called Altered States (1980). It is not traditional horror from the 80s, it leans more towards the sci-fi thriller genre. Nonetheless, it features an intense plot and truly disturbing images. The movie follows Dr. Edward Jessup and his research in sensory deprivation conducted on isolation tanks.

Dr. Edward is locked away from the world in a tank full of water for extended periods of time, with nothing more than his own mind to consort himself. His experiments initially begin with mildly amusing “mental trips” recalling (disturbing) fragments of his infancy; however, his obsession with sensory deprivation soon takes him on a fantastic and violent ride where his mind and body are pushed to their limits… Or so he thinks.

Lots of trippy images are shown during those isolation tank experiments. After all, this movie was produced in the late 70s. Something really cool about this film is that the viewer is never sure if the situations presented are indeed real or just products of Dr. Edward’s broken psyche. Very solid acting from the lead William Hurt. Blair Brown supports him as Emily Jessup, Edward’s wife and lab assistant.

Not astounding, but overall a great early 80s sci-fi thriller film. I give this movie three and ½ seven-eyed evil goats out of five.

SErUJhb.png

Rydeen

A-ha's Take On Me video was based on a sequence from altered states.

Ah, very cool. I see their homage, now.

♪ Take on me (take on me), take me on (take on me), I'll be gone, In a day or twooooooo. ♪

I watched Altered States just a few years ago, for the first time, and that epiphany during the ending sequence was both amazing and kinda distracting. :lol

Oh hey, look what I found!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
EYIzYQI.png

I recently watched this movie called Altered States (1980). It is not traditional horror from the 80s, it leans more towards the sci-fi thriller genre. Nonetheless, it features an intense history and truly disturbing images. The movie follows Dr. Edward Jessup and his research in sensory deprivation conducted on isolation tanks.

Dr. Edward is locked away from the world in a tank full of water for extended periods of time, with nothing more than his own mind to consort himself. His experiments initially begin with mildly amusing “mental trips” recalling (disturbing) fragments of his infancy; however, his obsession with sensory deprivation soon takes him on a fantastic and violent ride where his mind and body are pushed to their limits… Or so he thinks.

Lots of trippy images are shown during those isolation tank experiments. After all, this movie was produced in the late 70s. Something really cool about this film is that the viewer is never sure if the situations presented are indeed real or just products of Dr. Edward’s broken psyche. Very solid acting from the lead William Hurt. Blair Brown supports him as Emily Jessup, Edward’s wife and lab assistant.

Not astounding, but overall a great early 80s sci-fi thriller film. I give this movie three and ½ seven-eyed evil goats out of five.

SErUJhb.png
I think I made a giant thread about it ages ago.

Still one of the most disturbing SciFi films I've ever watched.

It has a very rare, extremely weird intensity.

Melchiah

I think I made a giant thread about it ages ago.

Still one of the most disturbing SciFi films I've ever watched.

It has a very rare, extremely weird intensity.

It doesn't come as such a surprise, considering the director's other films, like The Devils and The Lair of the White Worm. The latter has similar hallucinatory scenes.

Watched Nightmare on Elm Street 3 on SyFy.

Watched it at the theatre on Halloween last year.

I think it is possibly the greatest film of all time.

What do you guys think about this cinematic masterpiece?

Corpsepyre

Banned

Great film. Watch 4 as well. Under-rated and really cool.

Love, love 80's movies. Here is my collection of 80's horror. What am I missing? Should definitely add the Critters movies to my collection.

EhmuOu6.jpg

Btw, should Wraith be considered a horror movie?

Can we be besties?

Altered States is amazing. I didnt see it till several years back.

Has Pumpkinhead been in here? Love that and it barely made it. 1989

One of the best horror sequels ever made, and just under the original ANOES for best movie in the franchise for me.

I think the only ANOES films I can say that I didn't enjoy in some way were Freddy's Dead and the remake.

One of the best horror sequels ever made, and just under the original ANOES for best movie in the franchise for me.

I think the only ANOES films I can say that I didn't enjoy in some way were Freddy's Dead and the remake.

On the second, I didn't really like that Freddy
appeared at the pool barbecue. It would've been better canonically if he only appeared in dreams.
Other than that it was a great movie. I especially liked Robert Englund as the bus driver and the bird scene.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
On the second, I didn't really like that Freddy
appeared at the pool barbecue. It would've been better canonically if he only appeared in dreams.
Other than that it was a great movie. I especially liked Robert Englund as the bus driver and the bird scene.

But Freddy could always be dragged out of dreams, Nancy took him and his hat with her in the original.

Cranster

Banned
There was one horror film from this era that I saw on TV back when I was a kid, I don't remember a whole lot other than a girl going to her boyfriends car to make out with him only to discover he was decapitated when his head fell off. From there she runs in a forest and their are decapitated bodies everywhere and she eventually finds refuge at friends or someplace while the killer follows her.

It ended with the killer falling out a window in the attic or upperfloors somewhere when police arrive.

Jerm411

Awesome thread...just watched Shocker and Maximum Overdrive again the other night, love them both still and I genuinely believe both are underrated as hell.

70s/80s and even early 90s horror is the goddamn best....

6aRpKqr.png

Long Live The New Flesh

Videodrome is a 1983 cult film starring James Woods as Max Renn, director of a local low-budget TV channel. He searches to push the limits of sensational TV by looking for the most depraved content to feed his audience with. He soon discovers “Videodrome”, a clandestine snuff-like show where people get hurt “very convincingly”. His findings, however, come with a price. As Renn’s obsession with Videodrome takes him on a journey full of pain, fear, mental degradation and conspiracies. What is reality? Television is reality, and reality is less than television.

WH0uV3a.png

I often see Videodrome referred as a must-see for 80s horror fans. I’d say that this film is not pure 80s classic horror, but dwells more on the Sci-Fi thriller genre. It is very surreal, and not all the plot points are explicitly exposed. There’s a point in the film where the audience is constantly trying to guess whether the situations the characters are facing are indeed real or all part of their constant hallucinating. I find this really engaging, but it may obfuscate the plot more than necessary. Acting is decent. Woods gets the job done, however, the performance I enjoyed the most was that by Blondie frontwoman, Debbie Harry. She plays a sadomasochistic psychiatrist who is aroused by Videodrome. This fatal attraction comes, too, with a price. Sadly, her scenes are only a few.

MvX0Ene.png

The practical effects are not many, but when presented, are excellent. Moderately gory and grotesque, I’d say, and all in service of the surreal, what-the-hell-is-going-on, atmosphere offered by the movie.

Good stuff, although a little muddy on the plotline. I give this movie three meaty Betamax cassettes out of five.

6KWMUt3.png

AcridMeat

Banned
It has been a long time since I've watched Videodrome but the impression it left is still fairly strong.

I wouldn't call it a horror movie either, but I would recommend it for those looking for 80's visual effects.

I respectfully disagree and say Videodrome is a straight up 10 out of 5 with quality that only exponentially reveals itself each time you rewatch it. I believe it's Cronenberg's best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom