• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

84 Percent Of Vegetarians Become Meat Eaters Again, Study Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

EhoaVash

Been semi vegetarian

I eat chicken about 2 or 3 times a month i hate fish, I never ate bacon or pork. Only time I ate beef in my life was when my friends mom tricked me into eating it saying it was a turkey hot dog :/

Goldrush

Thinking about it, the successful vegetarians I know are pretty big into gardening. I guess the rewarding feelings of eating something you grew is a great incentive.

You can't "revert back" to being a meat-eater if you never were one to begin with. This seems to mainly focus on people who are vegetarian converts.

catmincer

I haven't eaten any meat or fish for over 16 years. I do occasionally eat food that contains rennet, gelatine or some unclear E-numbers though. So i wouldn't call myself a real vegetarian either.

You're like me when I do my vegetarian month each year.

I justify it as not wasting stuff and they'd have been killed anyway for the meat.

Ron%20Swanson%20Meme%201.jpg

Not really that surprising, I am veggie and I know it would be damn hard for me to go totally vegan and there would be a high chance of me giving up. It's one reason that while sure, I will debate with people about why it is a good idea to reduce meat consumption, I don't judge or look down on meat eaters. Much respect to non-wavering vegans.

akira28

yessssss

I legit consider that shit when I'm considering dating and shit. I am the do not want dog. I can't imagine marrying some girl and then having her cut me off from meat for the rest of my life or else she divorces me and takes all of my shit, leaving me homeless, penniless, and suicidal. I can not.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm the opposite. Every now and then I slip up and eat a vegetable.

Spinach goes too well with some meats.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I am lacto-ovo vegetarian. Meat doesn't entice me at all. Can't live off booze though.

GAF, it's a common trend to become vegetarian for a couple of months for health reasons, be they personal or prescribed by a doctor to lower cholesterol, this data is likely including that. Likewise, it's sad that the data talks about people not wanting to stay veggie or vegan because they were treated differently, and yet this thread is the same old nonsense.

Still though, been on the veggie path for five years, vegan for four, ain't givin' it up. I'm a proud vegan.
I would have hoped we could have discussed the implications of this data without resorting to insulting those who choose a different diet.
People become irrational around the idea of veganism or vegetarianism for some reason, like simply mentioning it insults them, so this is not likely. You'd think though, that given how open and reasonable GAF can be in regards to different people, that this wouldn't be an issue.

Sch1sm

I wish I knew how some of you did it. All three of my makes need some form of protein. That protein better not sprout from the ground or trees.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
"For Green it has to do with “a lack of social support from partners or family, and a dislike for being seen as ‘different’ by their friends and social peers based on their dietary preferences.”"

*looks at this thread's responses*

No kidding?

Seriously, what is it about vegetarianism that makes people become so obnoxious? And I'm not talking about the vegetarians.

My cousin was a vegan for like twenty years, not for any ideals, he's just one of those people that's allergic to everything so he decided it'd be easier. Last year he started working on yachts as crew and started eating fish and he now refers to himself as a "recovering vegan"

harmonize

A friend of mine had this routine a few years back where he slipped in and out of being a vegetarian, not eating meat then indulging himself after a few weeks or months of abstaining, then promising afterwards that he'd never eat it again and afterwards repeated the cycle.

I know better, couldn't live without meat so I wouldn't even try.

Hunter S.

You can't "revert back" to being a meat-eater if you never were one to begin with. This seems to mainly focus on people who are vegetarian converts.

This was a survey of Americans. Only a super small minority would be raised by strange parents to never eat meat.

Pretty much. I know a pair of siblings who were raised by vegetarian parents. One has still yet to eat meat to this day (in his late 20s) and the other only started sporadically eating meat when she married a non veggie.

I would have hoped we could have discussed the implications of this data without resorting to insulting those who choose a different diet.

It makes for a good example of the report.

Why so much failure? For Green it has to do with “a lack of social support from partners or family, and a dislike for being seen as ‘different’ by their friends and social peers based on their dietary preferences.”

"For Green it has to do with “a lack of social support from partners or family, and a dislike for being seen as ‘different’ by their friends and social peers based on their dietary preferences.”"

No kidding?

Seriously, what is it about vegetarianism that makes people become so obnoxious? And I'm not talking about the vegetarians.
Because central to eating meat is finding ways to forget the suffering it necessitates and as a result making snide jokes, trying to reassure oneself that it is ok because it is 'natural' etc. is preferable to asking oneself tough questions.

Branduil

Why so much failure? For Green it has to do with “a lack of social support from partners or family, and a dislike for being seen as ‘different’ by their friends and social peers based on their dietary preferences.”

I'd say a much bigger part is that humans are naturally omnivorous.

I've been vegetarian for ~5 years, and cannot imagine going back.
My theory is that the longer one is vegetarian the less likely regression back to meat becomes. For me at least meat is becoming increasingly disgusting.

I'd say a much bigger part is that humans are naturally omnivorous.
So hundreds of millions of vegetarians and vegans are unnatural, and are constantly fighting base urges to eat flesh? Food is a central part to every culture on the planet; mealtimes have been important social features for thousands of years and remain huge parts of social, family, work life. When you make effectively make yourself an outsider by changing the way you interact in such situations it naturally leads to conflicts and social anxiety. Veggies everywhere can back me up on this,

Deborah used to say I have a heart of gold cause I'm a vegetarian..

I'm not a strict vegetarian, I eat beef.

..and pork.

And chicken.

Yeah..

Semi-veg.

Box

All the chest-thumping from meat eaters reeks of insecurity. Look, I eat meat. It's not that big of a deal and it's nothing to brag about.

Neo C.

No kidding?

Peer pressure. Friends and family don't even need to behave ill around vegetarians, even around welcoming people the vegetarian is single out when eating together.

And to be fair, vegetarians have a lot better nowadays. Most people always ask their friends whether they can eat meat or not.

Branduil

So hundreds of millions of vegetarians and vegans are unnatural, and are constantly fighting base urges to eat flesh? Food is a central part to every culture on the planet; mealtimes have been important social features for thousands of years and remain huge parts of social, family, work life. When you make effectively make yourself an outsider by changing the way you interact in such situations it naturally leads to conflicts and social anxiety. Veggies everywhere can back me up on this,

Yes I'd say the desire to eat meat plays a big part in it. Obviously socialization and peer pressure plays a role, but I think those things only compound the already-present desire for animal meat.

Yes I'd say the desire to eat meat plays a big part in it. Obviously socialization and peer pressure plays a role, but I think those things only compound the already-present desire for animal meat.
Well if you want to believe that despite not apparently having tried to be a vegetarian yourself and want to ignore what all the vegetarians and ex vegetarians here are saying, there's not much I can say. I have never once in my life felt a desire to eat animal flesh, I must not be human.

bacon is the gateway meat, the smell activates all kinds of brain areas wanting for animal flesh

The smell of bacon makes my stomach churn.
Don't like pork in general but why eat trash like bacon when there's veal or lamb or dozens of kinds of delicious fish to feast on.

alekth

I can imagine, I tried it for a couple of months. Wasn't any peer pressure though, and it helped that mad cow disease in Europe broke out a couple of weeks after that.

I wasn't feeling too well though, what didn't help was that I dislike a lot of the stuff I was supposed to eat to substitute meat with (and back then too many eggs were seen as bad too).

masud

Banned
I don't eat red meat and it's pretty easy to resist because I never eaten it outside of pork a few times by accident. I eat chicken almost everyday though so I'm far from a vegetarian.

Branduil

Well if you want to believe that despite not apparently having tried to be a vegetarian yourself and want to ignore what all the vegetarians and ex vegetarians here are saying, there's not much I can say. I have never once in my life felt a desire to eat animal flesh, I must not be human.

You're reading too much into things.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I've been vegetarian for ~5 years, and cannot imagine going back.
My theory is that the longer one is vegetarian the less likely regression back to meat becomes. For me at least meat is becoming increasingly disgusting.

If you lose a lot of weight, it can take between 1 and 3 years before your mind adjusts and stops acting like you're on the brink of starvation and are simply normal. I'd imagine it's probably something similar for just general diet changes.

My brain didn't work when I was vegetarian so I went back as well.
But I do my best to only eat free range/organic

If you're talking about feeling like that in the first few weeks, my guess is you didn't eat enough calories on your replacement diet. It can be hard to determine how much vegetables to eat when you're used to them being the side dish instead of the main course.

If you're talking about feeling that way after a few months, it might be B12 deficiency. The only place you can get B12 is through dirt, animals that eat/drink dirt, or vitamin supplements and fortified foods.

If you're not eating animals, and you don't want to be exposed to all the nasty diseases that comes from drinking dirty water, then you kind of have to be on the lookout for getting it in other ways. Definitely one of the biggest nutritional drawbacks of being vegetarian or vegan in the modern day, but it's also pretty easily fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom