• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

84 Percent Of Vegetarians Become Meat Eaters Again, Study Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was actually a vegan for a number of years. i was strict too...never wavered from my dedication.

but i got way too skinny....like...unhealthy skinny.

so my family forced me to start eating meat again.

it wasn't a lack of social support...my family and friends supported me throughout it without any ridicule...i just didn't end up eating enough calories.

it didn't help that i was so disgusted by meat back then that it gave me quite a distaste for food in general. i started hating food.

Yes I'd say the desire to eat meat plays a big part in it. Obviously socialization and peer pressure plays a role, but I think those things only compound the already-present desire for animal meat.

Dude, I've been a Vegan for five years now, and a vegetarian for five and a half, these "urges" as you call them are nonexistent, in fact the biggest urge I have is for foods that are chemically designed to compel you to eat them, like candy, chips, and general junk food, rarely if ever do I get an urge to eat meat, in fact the very smell of it makes me feel sick, not because I need it, but because I've spent so long without it and can smell what it actually smells like when it hasn't been normalized.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
When in vitro meat becomes mass produced and there is no moral incentive to not eat meat, there will be virtually almost no vegetarians.

Likewise, if celiac disease were cured, there would be virtually no gluten-free people. But that's not because we're naturally fated to eat gluten.

My jump into vegetarianism coincided with my weightloss, I think it helped curb my cravings initially considering I didn't want to put the weight back on. 5 1/2 years later, I don't crave meat at all.

I have almost zero support from family or friends. Most consider it a joke and actively try to flip me. The findings from this study (and responses in this thread) are unfortunately unsurprising

Instro

My girlfriend has been a vegetarian for around 15 years. She can be around it, cook it, etc, but does not eat it. This is good for me since I don't have any particular desire to give up meat. She has to watch out for stuff that contains lard, or mixed in meat product like beef/chicken stock as it will make her ill at this point. From everything she has told me it was difficult early on, but she pretty much stopped having cravings after several months. I've always found it pretty impressive, since it doesn't seem easy, and she doesn't try to convert anyone or make a big deal about it. Frankly the harassment from the opposite side about this kind of thing is annoying as shit, as evidenced in this thread, and probably why so many people end up reverting back.

Agremont

Why not?

steak.jpg

Steak is seriously overrated. Like incredibly much so.

The lack of good vegetarian restaurants in the USA is what largely keeps me away from being vegetarian. I usually limit myself to non-veg meals once or twice a week.

Drinkel

Wow that number is WAY higher than I would expect. I wonder how different the results would be in a different country. The only people I know who gave up being vegetarian did so when they became parents. Anecdotal and all but it surprises me that so many would go back that quickly.

The lack of good vegetarian restaurants in the USA is what largely keeps me away from being vegetarian. I usually limit myself to non-veg meals once or twice a week.

There are quite a few sit and eat restaurants if you look, particularly in big metropolitan areas, but there are no fast food chains that produce general vegetarian foods, so yeah I could see why that's an issue for some. On the other hand though, for me, I just gave up eating out, it's not worth the hassle of finding one item on a menu that's technically vegan and then hoping that the people who make it don't put something else in it, so I'd rather just make my own food.

Steak is seriously overrated. Like incredibly much so.
Maybe if you've only ever eaten bad steak. I used to hate it as a kid because my mum would always buy cheap, tough cuts. But decent, tender, melt-in-the-mouth steaks are fucking awesome.

On topic, I've had 4 or 5 close friends and family who went through particularly militant veggy/vegan phases, they all eat meat now though.

Why so much failure? For Green it has to do with “a lack of social support from partners or family, and a dislike for being seen as ‘different’ by their friends and social peers based on their dietary preferences.”

Not surprising. Just as with any picky eater, it makes sharing meals with others a bit difficult and even frustrating sometimes.

For me, my pickiness stems from an extreme dislike of certain foodstuffs. If I could just change my mind and start eating the foods I used to refuse, I would do it in a heartbeat. It would make things so much easier.

Empty

vegetarianism isn't just about being a monk and dedicating your life to a way of living, we eat an absurd amount of meat, so even if you only do it for a year or three months you've significantly reduced your meat consumption in a positive way both for animal welfare and your environmental footprint. nothing to sneer about.

I've known a few people that have went back to eating meat after being a veg. My sister did it for diet reasons but now eat's meat regularly. My brother was a veg until he met his now wife who is a meat eater. To me it seems like most people don't have the audacity to stick to a vegetarian lifestyle, especially considering that we're pretty selfish creatures and being vegetarian means that you're somewhat of an outcast. You're always asking for special accommodations, people purposefully talk about meat all the time around you because you're a vegetarian. It's pretty shitty actually. I've flip flopped from vegetarian to omni, but now I went back and am actually full vegan now. Don't think i'll ever be going back to meat but I totally understand why a lot of people do. Meat is tasty and good and it's in everything (I miss Gyros!)

When I first broke vedge it was for bacon, I still miss bacon but I find solace in the fact that I am making a sacrifice to stand up for what I believe in.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Been vegetarian for over 30 years so no. I'm not going back.

It seems to me from people I know who are veggie that there are two types of people. Those that give up meat and don't miss it. And those that do. Most of the people that fall into the second camp eventually go back.

There are quite a few sit and eat restaurants if you look, particularly in big metropolitan areas, but there are no fast food chains that produce general vegetarian foods, so yeah I could see why that's an issue for some. On the other hand though, for me, I just gave up eating out, it's not worth the hassle of finding one item on a menu that's technically vegan and then hoping that the people who make it don't put something else in it, so I'd rather just make my own food.
I live in Los Angeles. There are very few vegetarians restaurants. Most are Indian which I get at home five days of the week.

I live in Los Angeles. There are very few vegetarians restaurants. Most are Indian which I get at home five days of the week.

Yeah those were the ones I was referring to, typically they're like either ethnic food, or organic restaurants, but there's no like McDonalds of vegan of vegetarianism, and in more rural or smaller areas there's no real specialty places, just the same regular chains that have items that are technically vegan or vegetarian. Basically, where I live, middle of nowhere Kansas, there are no real vegan places, just a handful of health food stores, and some vegan specialty foods (like Amy's and Tofurky) at the food markets.

Famassu

No, this is not a good thing, unless you are an ignorant fool. Meat production is one of the biggest environmental problems of today and humanity as a whole should try to move towards eating less meat. Not only does it pollute & destroy nature at a vastly bigger scale than a vegan/vegetarian diet, it also creates a lot more greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change than meatless diets.

84% go back to eating meat, 100% of which should feel bad for being so unbearable while not eating meat.
You people demonizing vegans/vegetarians for doing a good thing are 1000% worse.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
84% go back to eating meat, 100% of which should feel bad for being so unbearable while not eating meat.

As a vegetarian, this post annoys me. But I can see where it comes from. Yes. Lots of folks who choose to become vegetarian become a bit preachy about it. I guess that's natural given the big change in lifestyle choice.

On the other hand. I've known folks for years that don't know I'm a veggie and when I have discussions around this issue it's surprising how many folks say that they are pursuing the idea of removing most red meat from their diet and occasionally having chicken and fish and having full blown vegetarian meals for the first times in their lives.

As I get older I trying to eat as much uncooked or processed foods as possible but it's a bit tough as I love pizzas.

No, this is not a good thing, unless you are an ignorant fool. Meat production is one of the biggest environmental problems of today and humanity as a whole should try to move towards eating less meat. Not only does it pollute & destroy nature at a vastly bigger scale than a vegan/vegetarian diet, it also creates a lot more greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change than meatless diets.

Famassu
100% likely wrong.
(Today, 02:01 AM)

Amalthea

Banned
I never understood people who call themselves "Vegetarian" while eating chicken and fish. Just because they don't come from the same clade as you do, doesn't make them any less animal.

Agremont

Maybe if you've only ever eaten bad steak. I used to hate it as a kid because my mum would always buy cheap, tough cuts. But decent, tender, melt-in-the-mouth steaks are fucking awesome.

On topic, I've had 4 or 5 close friends and family who went through particularly militant veggy/vegan phases, they all eat meat now though.

Nope, even the "good stuff" is overated in my opinion or rather I don't like it. It's got nothing to do with toughness. Just a boring taste experience overall. I prefer meat and meat products that's been seasoned.

cyberheater

I never understood people who call themselves "Vegetarian" while eating chicken and fish. Just because they don't come from the same clade as you do, doesn't make them any less animal.

Yeah. They are not veggies.

On the other hand. Science is working on synthetic meat. That's going to be a tough dilema for veggies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Bwuh? There are tons of vegetarian and vegan restaurant options in Los Angeles. I have vegan friends in San Francisco who are jealous of LA's vegan options and visit specifically to take advantage of them.

Yeah. They are not veggies.

On the other hand. Science is working on synthetic meat. That's going to be a tough dilema for veggies.

Why? Remove the need to kill a living thing and what's the argument against meat, assuming no digestive health issues?

Yeah that number would plummet if you make the exception that you only count people who were vegetarians for at least a few months before actually calling them that. Tons of people experiment with diets and lifestyles and then change their minds. Vacationing as a vegetarian doesn't really make you one. Certainly you gotta at least wait until the cravings die. You're not a vegetarian if you're still fighting cravings, regardless of if you don't indulge them.

It was like six months before I actually started considering myself a legitimate vegetarian and felt comfortable telling others.

All this study really tells me is that there are a lot of people that halfheartedly try meat holidays. Do or do not be a vegetarian, there is no try.

Maengun1

You people demonizing vegans/vegetarians for doing a good thing are 1000% worse.

Yeah, I agree with this. Regardless of whether or not it's really more healthy for a person to go completely vegetarian/vegan (would depend on your specific diet), it's definitely "better" to stop eating meat in terms of both the negative environmental impacts the meat industry produces as well as animal cruelty (I'm talking large-scale industrial meat industry, not farmers and stuff like that). It always bothers me how much people hate on vegetarians. Complaining about them talking about being vegetarian is more annoying to me than them talking about it in the first place. Not talking about this thread there really. I don't mind a few jokes. I've seen people really hardcore hating on vegetarians a lot though

For the record, I've never been vegetarian and enjoy eating meat too much to ever try to become vegetarian (despite the negatives I mentioned above). But like....other people trying to go vegetarian is admirable, IMO. It's clearly a really hard thing to do.

Smithy C

Been a vegetarian for 12 years. Bacon just kind of smells like dog food to me now. Don't understand why everyone on the Internet is in love with it, but whatever floats your boat.

Why? Remove the need to kill a living thing and what's the argument against meat, assuming no digestive health issues?

Some animal caring vegetarians might feel conflict in a conception that lab meat sort of says real meat is an okay thing in a loopy way. Like some people treat e-cigs the same as regular cigs. I think thats stupid, but there it is.

jax

Banned
Yeah, most people can't commit to a simple lifestyle change. What else is new? People also still smoke cigarettes. Most people have weak wills.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You are as much of an asshole as people who intentionally tempt alcoholics.
Did you just equate eating meat with alcoholism? Tempting a person to eat meat is no where near in the same league as causing an alcoholic to relapse.

I imagine that it'd come down to whether or not you'd want to consider it vegetarian or not, as there really isn't a FDA definition to vegetarinism or veganism so some people make some exceptions depending on their living conditions or in regards to what they want to consider vegan or veggie, usually in regards to things like sugar or honey, so in vitro meat might be the same for veggies, definitely not vegans though. Plus, some may want to support the idea through eating it, but may not be comfortable actually eating meat regardless of whether it came from a dead animal or a lab.

On another note, I really wish there was a FDA definition for veganism here in the US, so companies could label what products are or are not vegan or vegetarian without just sorta guessing.
Did you just equate eating meat with alcoholism? Tempting a person to eat meat is no where near in the same league as causing an alcoholic to relapse.
Tempting someone to give up something they're dedicated to is a bad thing to do regardless.

Kinokou

With cheating vegetarians I think it has a lot to do with your reasons for cutting out all meat or certain types of meat.

I cut chicken and pork out of human welfare concerns since there are problems with the meat containing antibiotic resistant bacteria in Norway (and probably everywhere else as we use the least antibiotics in animal feed). I'm not sure on my stance on beef at the moment but I haven't had any since cutting the above for 4 months.

I do eat fish and seafood since I'm not well informed enough to try managing without it at the moment, and I do have a list of other kinds of approved meat that I can have but so far that has been only twice. Since I actually choose to avoid even my approved meats on a daily basis I will just tell people that I'm a vegetarian/pescetarain if they ask. It's simple, efficient and explains the norm of my diet.

Edit: And I'm super eager to try insects in the future as I don't know any place to get to try it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom