• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

84 Percent Of Vegetarians Become Meat Eaters Again, Study Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just "addressed" this topic yesterday. Going by my own anecdotal evidence, I'm not surprised. Every vegetarian I've ever known has gone back to eating meat. I can't blame them, it's delicious. This thread even inspired me to go but some steak and bacon after work.

The lack of good vegetarian restaurants in the USA is what largely keeps me away from being vegetarian.

I think this is one of the reasons people have such a hard time being vegetarian in the US. just the time, place and expectations of food in this country are built around time. fast food, eating out, processed/quick meals. long work days, stress and a general cultural lack of appreciation for, it's ingredients, and the effects it has on our bodies and those that made it possible to be consumed (animal and farm worker, all included)

I've heard it's much easier in other countries with different cuisines and traditions

People in the US are too used to fast, easy meals and there just isn't a ton of vegetarian restaurants or readily available prepackaged vegetarian food or support from others on how to make it a steady habit in one's life. A good bit of it is only sold at select stores, expensive, and there is a small amount of choices.

it's treated like a fad as well.

meat at every fucking meal in this god damn country. fucking pigs. christmas dinner at my family's house and there is bacon in the salad. they managed to flavor every dish with meat, even the salad. spinach leaves, tomato, vinaigrette like a little bit of red onion and then a bag of dried processed fucking bacon poured on top.

I don't even see anything inherently wrong with eating meat but the way it is consumed in this country is incredibly wasteful, cruel, and awful on the environment.

(not directed at quoted post) to those of you that apathetically just blow your mass amounts of meat consumption off with lame vegan/vegetarian jokes and stupid shit that sounds like it belongs in an episode of family guy, fuck you. Your willful ignorance and complete lackadaisical food choices without even taking a moment to consider where it came from, what the animal went through, and how much energy/water was wasted to fill your fat ass belly with a burrito is disgusting, selfish, and a reflection of how careless and cruel this nation is. I hope you all are reborn as cows on a slaughter farm.

Did you just equate eating meat with alcoholism? Tempting a person to eat meat is no where near in the same league as causing an alcoholic to relapse.

no he didn't... he compared the people doing the tempting

it's shitty thing to do because it shows a complete lack of disrespect towards someone attempting to make a positive change in their life.

I think a part of it is the wide-spread attitude of all-or-nothing. Either you cut out all meat completely, or you may as well eat meat every meal.

can i eat egg and cheese if i become a vegetarian ?
animal products is more important then meat for me
Don't get hung up on definitions. Do whatever you want and feel is right.

faridmon

Vegetarianism is more of ideology than anything for me.

I am a vegetarian, but I wouldn't mind eating Fish and sometimes chicken since my mum cooks her food with these two ingredients as a must.

Yes, I love Egg and Milk and I am vegeterian.

Don't think too much and eat (or drink) stuff that makes you comfortable.

Rafterman

Banned
You people demonizing vegans/vegetarians for doing a good thing are 1000% worse.

I don't demonize anyone, they do it to themselves. Nothing worse than some jackass preaching at me for months on end about eating meat only for them to be stuffing their face with a burger six months later.

As a vegetarian, this post annoys me. But I can see where it comes from. Yes. Lots of folks who choose to become vegetarian become a bit preachy about it. I guess that's natural given the big change in lifestyle choice

Look, I'm all for choosing to be more healthy, I really respect that. But don't come at me like you've suddenly discovered God and I'm going to hell for eating meat. It's the whole attitude that rubs me the wrong way. You do your thing and I'll do mine and we'll get along just fine. Unsolicited eating advice isn't welcome. That goes both ways, btw, it's just as douchy to badger someone to eat meat as it is reversed.

Honestly this finding is not surprising. In my own experience I realize there is a difference between people who spontaneously turn vegetarian or vegan due to a strictly emotional reaction and those that do not. However if this changed encourages a different outlook and approach to food and ethics it is a lot easier to maintain the diet and philosophy behind such lifestyle.

If you haven't truly changed your perception of things and morals along with it. It becomes easier to be affected by peer pressure and other factors. Often it starts with someone losing their vegetarian/vegan network, moving and start to feel like maintaining the diet is more difficult than before. If you truly believed in your lifestyle and thought that animals were more important to avoid consuming you would always find alternatives to these social and availability problems.

There is also the other common factor where vegetarians or vegans do not take care of their health and find ways to substitute their nutrition change. I have heard too many stories of people saying "it made me sick" so I stopped being vegetarian or vegan. However most of the time they have only been eating a pretty poor diet with lack of variety and nutrition. Needing to educate yourself (especially as a vegan) in regards to health can also feel intimidating to many.

In my case I love the taste of animal products but it never is persuasive enough for me to forget what it was. A sentient being who could be much more than be a meal or some other product. We got thousands of options and alternatives today. So whatever doubt or uncertainty would not be a strong enough argument for me to revert back (unless health was the issue).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Look, I'm all for choosing to be more healthy, I really respect that. But don't come at me like you've suddenly discovered God and I'm going to hell for eating meat. It's the whole attitude that rubs me the wrong way. You do your thing and I'll do mine and we'll get along just fine. Unsolicited eating advice isn't welcome. That goes both ways, btw, it's just as douchy to badger someone to eat meat as it is reversed.

Yes. I agree with this. For me it's much more important what a person does then what they eat.

I might be a bit biased here, but what this study says to me is more like:

84 percent of people who try to become vegetarians fail, the 16 percent who succeed are the actual vegetarians. There seems to be a massive number of people who "try" vegetarianism in a part of some kind of identity-building enterprise, or believe it's healthier. When those perceived benefits don't appear, they give it up.

I also think the key sentence in there is that one main reason for failure to adhere to the diet is lack of social support, not cravings. It sucks being the awkward person who's like "sorry, these delicious tuna sandwiches you've prepared for the conference are beneath me" (which is what people here when you say you'd prefer to skip it or wonder if they could prepare one plain, and no, I don't want to just "scrape the meat off").

Add to that shit like comments about you eating "rabbit food", "girl food" (anything without meat), etc. or just generally having a hard time every time you're invited to dinner/eating out with work.

Also, the amount of collateral damage I receive from everyone who wants to complain about preachy vegetarians to me (despite me taking care NEVER to give unsolicited advice), is quite annoying. Especially considering the frequency at which I'm expected to account for how I avoid protein- and vitamin-deficiencies (which, considering I'm lacto-ovo is not even remotely a problem).

On NeoGAF and the world in general, I've seen far more negatively charged blanket statements about the veggie crowd from omnivores than the other way around. Have a look at the vegan bench-press thread for instance. I get that some people have had bad experiences with some preachy vegetarians, but the response seems to be disproportionate. [/preach]

It depends on how far you're willing to take vegetarianism, especially in regards to cheese because of rennet, but you can ignore that if you want and be a semi-vegetarian in which there'd be nothing wrong with, as it's all up to you in regards to what you can do and how it may or may not fit into your living conditions and what not.

Bleepey

I knew a guy who went to South Africa a vegan, he claims people kept forcing meat down his throat and that "chicken barely counts as meat". He is thankful for seeing the light. I personally would never entertain the idea of being a vegetarian. I once had the misfortune of tasting a quorn sausage, who lies to themselves with that shit?

Danchi

I've been vegetarian for maybe seven years now (so from when I was 15). The stats aren't really surprising though. I think if you last the first six months/year and learn how to cook and stuff you don't really think about it anymore.

The people who make a big deal of about vegetarianism/veganism are really weird to me. In my experience, it's way more common than the stereotypical, militant, throwing paint on fur vegan too.

Don't get hung up on definitions. Do whatever you want and feel is right.

This is pretty much the case for me. Someone earlier on said they don't eat flesh but they'd probs try insects given the chance. I think I would, too, and you just know they'd be someone saying "b-but you're a vegetarian. You can't eat that!" It's not some kind of club. I won't lose my membership card...

84 percent of people who try to become vegetarians fail, the 16 percent who succeed are the actual vegetarians. There seems to be a massive number of people who "try" vegetarianism in a part of some kind of identity-building enterprise, or believe it's healthier. When those perceived benefits don't appear, they give it up.

I also think the key sentence in there is that one main reason for failure to adhere to the diet is lack of social support, not cravings. It sucks being the awkward person who's like "sorry, these delicious tuna sandwiches you've prepared for the conference are beneath me" (which is what people here when you say you'd prefer to skip it or wonder if they could prepare one plain, and no, I don't want to just "scrape the meat off").

Add to that shit like comments about you eating "rabbit food", "girl food" (anything without meat), etc. or just generally having a hard time every time you're invited to dinner/eating out with work.

Also, the amount of collateral damage I receive from everyone who wants to complain about preachy vegetarians to me (despite me taking care NEVER to give unsolicited advice), is quite annoying. Especially considering the frequency at which I'm expected to account for how I avoid protein- and vitamin-deficiencies (which, considering I'm lacto-ovo is not even remotely a problem).

On NeoGAF and the world in general, I've seen far more negatively charged blanket statements about the veggie crowd from omnivores than the other way around. Have a look at the vegan bench-press thread for instance. I get that some people have had bad experiences with some preachy vegetarians, but the response seems to be disproportionate. [/preach]

This is a fallacy, a tiny minority may have been preached to, most have just read a preachy blog post about it on the internet and internalised that as a personal experience.

Go_Ly_Dow

Seriously cutting down on my red meat intake.

Mainly Chicken and for Bolagnase I've switched entirely to quorn mince.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I once had the misfortune of tasting a quorn sausage, who lies to themselves with that shit?

I quite like Quorn sausages. Yes they don't taste like meat sausages. But they are nice.

Seriously cutting down on my red meat intake.

Mainly Chicken and for Bolagnase I've switched entirely to quorn mince.

I know many people who are doing the same. They are cutting out as much red meat as they can and quorn mince makes a good substitute in Bolognese or what we tend to do, lasagne.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
How can some people who do it for ethical reasons still eat fish. I don't get it.

Preachy omnivores are like 10x worse than preachy vegs. Just look at every thread on the subject in the history of gaf/the internet. It's full of complaining about vegetarians/vegans. I say that as a preachy omnivore. It's projection.

G.ZZZ

The biggest problem would be hitting enough proteins for me. I'm already mega-skinny, and I've tried going for mostly vegan dinner - lunches, but i have to seriously eat too much in volume and i can't do it. I also can't eat too much carbs so basically it would be too annoying for me. And costly too (ve proteins cost a tons). It's sad because i think we all should eat way less meat for enviromental and health reasons

V_Arnold

I am just going to ignore the primitive peer pressure+tribal-like "GUNNA EAT MEAT, SON"-type comments, because they are that..primitive, yeah.

But I am mildly shocked to see people come up with personal stories that involve switching to vegetarian/vegan and feeling weak. I wonder: what did you exactly do? It is not like it is an on/off switch. Meat is not particularly calorie dense either. Ignoring whether ONE portion of you meal has all the essential amino acids or not, just looking at nuts can provide you with all the calorie you could get by eating meat, and then some.

I dare someone to feel light-headed after eating 100g of peanut butter or crunching 70-100g of a collection of non-salted nuts, be it peanut, almonds, hazelnuts, or sunflower seeds.

If you make a switch and only eat salad, or replace meat with, I dunno, cheese I guess, then obviously you will not do it properly. That, however, is not a valid reason to conclude "being vegetarian does not work for me".

Edit: Just like this, here we go:
The biggest problem would be hitting enough proteins for me. I'm already mega-skinny, and I've tried going for mostly vegan dinner - lunches, but i have to seriously eat too much in volume and i can't do it. I also can't eat too much carbs so basically it would be too annoying for me. And costly too (ve proteins cost a tons). It's sad because i think we all should eat way less meat for enviromental and health reasons

You can eat *very* low in carbs if you eat fatty as a vegetarian. Go nuts on nuts. Embrace full-grain stuff. Fiber is not the kind of carb that you need to worry about. Legumes and lentils are very protein-dense (12-18-20g/100g, not the high of nuts, but quite enough), and do not contain that much carb either, and you WILL feel full fast.

faridmon

I knew a guy who went to South Africa a vegan, he claims people kept forcing meat down his throat and that "chicken barely counts as meat". He is thankful for seeing the light. I personally would never entertain the idea of being a vegetarian. I once had the misfortune of tasting a quorn sausage, who lies to themselves with that shit?

Ugh

also, Quorn Meat on Lasagne is actually very tasty.

How can some people who do it for ethical reasons still eat fish. I don't get it.

Because Some would argue that fish barely have any brain response when they die

Also, those aren't vegetarians :)

I've been vegetarian for maybe seven years now (so from when I was 15). The stats aren't really surprising though. I think if you last the first six months/year and learn how to cook and stuff you don't really think about it anymore.

The people who make a big deal of about vegetarianism/veganism are really weird to me. In my experience, it's way more common that the stereotypical, militant, throwing paint on fur vegan too.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that last line since it cut off, but I agree that people make way too big a deal about vegetarianism and veganism, both in regards to those who become veggie or vegan and those who respond to those who become veggie or vegan.
This is pretty much the case for me. Someone earlier on said they don't eat flesh but they'd probs try insects given the chance. I think I would, too, and you just know they'd be someone saying "b-but you're a vegetarian. You can't eat that!" It's not some kind of club. I won't lose my membership card...
No offense, but I wouldn't consider someone vegetarian if they ate bugs, just a semi-vegetarian, as I think there's a strict definition that should be held up to as if more and more people are relaxed in regards to what it means to be vegetarian or vegan then it'll get to the point where companies start to feel the same way, and will start to label things as vegetarian or vegan when they're not based on the most common agreed upon definition which would adversely effect other vegans and vegetarians. For example, beef extract isn't vegetarian yet that didn't stop McDonalds from calling their french fries vegetarian-friendly. None of this is intended to say that there's anything wrong with being a semi-veggie though.

Rafterman

Banned
This is a fallacy, a tiny minority may have been preached to, most have just read a preachy blog post about it on the internet and internalised that as a personal experience.

Or, ya know, we've actually experienced it first hand. Not to mention, Homeboy Over Here pretty much guaranteed that anyone who visits this thread has been preached to.

SamVimes

Eat lentils.

V_Arnold

Basically, if you go vegan/vegetarian, and do not embrace beans, peas, nuts, you are setting up your body for disappointment.

Danchi

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that last line since it cut off, but I agree that people make way too big a deal about vegetarianism and veganism, both in regards to those who become veggie or vegan and those who respond to those who become veggie or vegan.

Replace the word "that" with "than." As in, the preachy meat eaters are more common than the preachy vegetarians.

No offense, but I wouldn't consider someone vegetarian if they ate bugs, just a semi-vegetarian, as I think there's a strict definition that should be held up to as if more and more people are relaxed in regards to what it means to be vegetarian or vegan then it'll get to the point where companies start to feel the same way, and will start to label things as vegetarian or vegan when they're not based on the most common agreed upon definition which would adversely effect other vegans and vegetarians. For example, beef extract isn't vegetarian yet that didn't stop McDonalds from calling their french fries vegetarian-friendly. None of this is intended to say that there's anything wrong with being a semi-veggie though.

Which is why I was agreeing with the dude who said to stop caring about labels. Say I haven't eaten flesh in a decade, but I then eat a grasshopper while in Asia or something. I'm now a "semi-vegetarian"? Do I reset the clock and start counting from that day on? Who cares. It's not how I think about it at all.

As for your second point, that stuff that means very little to me. I think one of the best things about going vegetarian is that (generally speaking) you learn to cook stuff from scratch. It's pretty easy to know what's meat-free when you do that.

Africanus

This subject is somewhat of a personal one for me because I was a vegetarian for a year (2012-2013). Not as an attempt for a permanent lifestyle, but as an experiment. From day one my mother said "Eat fish, it's not really a meat" and my father attempted to shut it down. Then you had the mockery of some of my peers, and it made the situation awkward at best, and demeaning at worst. The bacon jokes were continuous even when some of the mocking died down, although I wasn't very tempted to eat meat because my family eats it in limited quantities and only whiter meats.

So after the experiment was over, all of a sudden people just stop pestering me. It's quite annoying how food choice is such a nuisance to people that they must inform one of it. Also I lost my taste in Buffalo Hot Wings. So it goes.

As such, I can understand why 84% of Vegetarians (Although I am suspect of where the data comes from) would relapse so to speak. I never spoke for the morality of my decision (And at times I have even debated my vegan friend on why killing animals is neccessarily bad, while killing other life forms isn't. I have a certain amoral outlook regarding diet overall), nor did I attempt to keep pushing the issue, yet all of these multitudes of people felt the need to push-back because of my personal dietary choice.

As such, when one comes to Neo-Gaf expecting a rousing discussion on the implications of this study and instead finds numerous people making the same tired jokes and spewing the same drivel about how humans are "naturally supposed to x so why y" it becomes quite frustrating.

Somnid

I don't really see much push-back against vegetarianism anymore. There's a lot of good health related effects and the ethical concerns have a bit of grounding. This might be less true in more monocultural areas.

Veganism I think is where most of the modern ridicule is directed. Veganism doesn't have good health effects, it's extremely hard to get enough of a balanced diet without a lot of planning and effort and the ethical concerns are weak. Honey, milk and eggs are not damaging to take from animals and are replenishable. You can be against the treatment in factory farms, certainly, but that's a bit different than being against the food entirely.

I think the social factors are there too. Both can have degrees of isolation especially since eating is a group activity. If the group feels they need to bend to your needs it can be uncomfortable and you might feel that you don't want that on you. Veganism is also harder than vegetarianism in this regard.

Overall, I think if you are eating for health a cheating vegetarian is probably the way to go.

JSR_Cube

I have been vegetarian for 11 years now. I did it when I moved out west so I think it made it easier to do with that change in my life. I know a lot of vegetarians who tried it and went back though. So the results from this study aren't super surprising to my experience.

As for meat alternatives, there are a ton in Canada, so it makes it a lot easier.

Gardein even has a fishless product that i like:
http://gardein.com/

Coins

Banned
You are as much of an asshole as people who intentionally tempt alcoholics.

Huh? My coworker is my buddy. There were no hard feelings. He was only vegan because of his cholesterol levels which he knocked down. He loves meat and makes the best chili ever. So pbbbbft.

And alcoholics ruin lives, omnivores dont. Get a grip.

Paz

This subject is somewhat of a personal one for me because I was a vegetarian for a year (2012-2013). Not as an attempt for a permanent lifestyle, but as an experiment. From day one my mother said "Eat fish, it's not really a meat" and my father attempted to shut it down. Then you had the mockery of some of my peers, and it made the situation awkward at best, and demeaning at worst. The bacon jokes were continuous even when some of the mocking died down, although I wasn't very tempted to eat meat because my family eats it in limited quantities and only whiter meats.

So after the experiment was over, all of a sudden people just stop pestering me. It's quite annoying how food choice is such a nuisance to people that they must inform one of it. Also I lost my taste in Buffalo Hot Wings. So it goes.

As such, I can understand why 84% of Vegetarians (Although I am suspect of where the data comes from) would relapse so to speak. I never spoke for the morality of my decision (And at times I have even debated my vegan friend on why killing animals is neccessarily bad, while killing other life forms isn't. I have a certain amoral outlook regarding diet overall), nor did I attempt to keep pushing the issue, yet all of these multitudes of people felt the need to push-back because of my personal dietary choice.

As such, when one comes to Neo-Gaf expecting a rousing discussion on the implications of this study and instead finds numerous people making the same tired jokes and spewing the same drivel about how humans are "naturally supposed to x so why y" it becomes quite frustrating.

Well said, I'm not sure if it's possible to explain to these people how exhausting dealing with their constant 'jokes' and pressures can be.

I've been a vegetarian my whole life and never made a big deal out of it and it's incredibly rare for me to find someone who eats meat that doesn't make a big deal out of it for me when they find out about it. I can absolutely understand how that pressure would build up and push people back to eating meat if they were giving vegetarian life a try.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
it has to do with “a lack of social support from partners or family, and a dislike for being seen as ‘different’ by their friends and social peers based on their dietary preferences.”

Good, good. Nice to hear that our side is winning.

European/German here. Lots of my friends are vegetarians, some of them have been for years. Though yeah, many got back to be a meat eater, most notably the people who are having kids or family. Some had a vegan phase inbetween.

Since my flatmate is vegetarian and we cook together very often, I've been slowly phasing out meat in a way. Nowadays, I only eat meat once every 1-2 weeks and I try to get my food from trustable sources without intensive lifestock farming. Since living in a bigger city surrounded by lots of rural area, it's not that difficult to buy food from markets or smaller butcherys who work together with local farmers. More expensive, yes, but since I got used to buy meat less frequently, this has more of a "special treat" character. As a nice side effect, I've been enjoying what little meat I eat a lot more compared to times when I ate meat several times a week.

I think this is one of the reasons people have such a hard time being vegetarian in the US. just the time, place and expectations of food in this country are built around time. fast food, eating out, processed/quick meals. long work days, stress and a general cultural lack of appreciation for, it's ingredients, and the effects it has on our bodies and those that made it possible to be consumed (animal and farm worker, all included)

I've heard it's much easier in other countries with different cuisines and traditions

People in the US are too used to fast, easy meals and there just isn't a ton of vegetarian restaurants or readily available prepackaged vegetarian food or support from others on how to make it a steady habit in one's life. A good bit of it is only sold at select stores, expensive, and there is a small amount of choices.

it's treated like a fad as well.

meat at every fucking meal in this god damn country. fucking pigs. christmas dinner at my family's house and there is bacon in the salad. they managed to flavor every dish with meat, even the salad. spinach leaves, tomato, vinaigrette like a little bit of red onion and then a bag of dried processed fucking bacon poured on top.

I don't even see anything inherently wrong with eating meat but the way it is consumed in this country is incredibly wasteful, cruel, and awful on the environment.

I've noticed that when I was on holiday in the US with a vegetarian friend. It was quite difficult to be able to afford eating only vegetarian food without eating french fries, cheese pizza and salad all the time. I mean, we've also been to New York (which I still fondly remember - awesome city) and there were markets and lots of specialized restaurants. But it was a lot more expensive than just getting something cheap from a burger joint or something pre-processed to just warm up from one of the countless 24/7 supermarkets. (I also went to a reknown steakhouse in New York - forgot the name tho; got a really expensive big piece of steak but it was the best meat-related dish I've ever eaten in my life.) In fact, to me, one of the strongest differences to Europe seemed to be the food and general consumer culture.
Compared to the city I live in - we got specialized markets everywhere, even discounters are selling fresh and fair "bio" food (though we got some scandals out of that since companies went on to mislabel their food to make it seem more environment-friendly. And cheaply mass-produced meat from sick and mistreated herded animals became a norm here as well, specifically when buying in discount supermarkets. Only recently, we got a health-warning issue because of the high level of antibiotics and a certain multiresistant germ found in massproduced poultry...).

Poona

The U.S. has some great things I'm jealous of:

www.veggiegrill.com
www.beyondmeat.com
www.gardein.com
www.daiyafoods.com

Replace the word "that" with "than." As in, the preachy meat eaters are more common than the preachy vegetarians.
Oh, I gotcha ya.
Which is why I was agreeing with the dude who said to stop caring about labels. Say I haven't eaten flesh in a decade, but I then eat a grasshopper while in Asia or something. I'm now a "semi-vegetarian"? Do I reset the clock and start counting from that day on? Who cares. It's not how I think about it at all.
I didn't mean to imply that you would've done something wrong by eating bugs, merely that I think labels are important as it helps define what it means to be a vegetarian or vegan.
As for your second point, that stuff that means very little to me. I think one of the best things about going vegetarian is that (generally speaking) you learn to cook stuff from scratch. It's pretty easy to know what's meat-free when you do that.
That's fair, but I do think the labels need to be preserved, as not all vegans or vegetarians can cook for themselves or perhaps they live in areas that don't have a huge abundance of stuff to eat that's convenient, so sometimes they have to rely on packaged stuff, or foods that are vegan or vegetarian despite not being marketed towards those demographics. Plus, there is no FDA mandated definition of what constitutes something being vegetarian or vegan, and I'd argue that for the most part that when ever a company says that their product is vegan or vegetarian that they base this off of what is the most commonly described definitions by vegans and vegetarians, so if that changes over time or becomes more relaxed then so too could the labeling of products in major markets to reflect this, which would effect those vegans and veggies that can't cook for themselves and thus rely upon more convenient foods.

So to that original poster, don't worry about labels, but at the same time maybe I don't know if you do make sure to make a distiction between semi-veggie and veggie. I don't know, I'm rambling. :/ I just want a FDA definition for vegetarian and vegan food.

G.ZZZ

You can eat *very* low in carbs if you eat fatty as a vegetarian. Go nuts on nuts. Embrace full-grain stuff. Fiber is not the kind of carb that you need to worry about. Legumes and lentils are very protein-dense (12-18-20g/100g, not the high of nuts, but quite enough), and do not contain that much carb either, and you WILL feel full fast.

No i won't, you're just another guy telling me that i just need to eat this and that and blablablalbalbbablblablabla. I don't care anymore arguing at this point, i see people suggesting lentils and nuts as if i tried going vegans on salads holy shit.

It happened to my brother.

Some cute girls at an outdoor education program turned him into a vegetarian. (He was 17.)

6 months later he got high with some friends, and the only thing in the house to eat was chicken wings.

Vegetarianism: Over.
Most boys at that age will let a woman lead them to hell.

Also, meat is just so tasty. Pork chops taste goood, bacon tastes gooood.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not surprising. I've been veg for 12 years now (digestive/weight purposes) and I still miss chicken, turkey, and tuna.

I always thought bacon and pork was absolutely disgusting, though, so I will never understand that obsession.

Eh, just because you do something doesn't mean you have to do it forever. I used to be an avid cyclist, but I moved to a place where cycling wasn't as easy to do so I sold my bike. I still enjoyed it while I did it, and maybe I'll do it again, but I don't think I'm less of a person for changing my habits. There's nothing wrong with not eating meat and then eating meat again. As long as you aren't insufferably judgmental.

Pinkuss

As a Vegan I'm quite fine with meat eaters as it's a personal thing and whilst the Veganism isn't always a perfect diet I'm not doing it for nutritional reasons (heck I'd live on vodka and pizza if I could).

I've never told anyone I think what they do is wrong nor do most of the Vegans/Veggies I know; the amount of snide remarks you get from meat eaters though is staggering (I get it most days).

For me I became Veggie (on my own call) at the age of 5 and Vegan at 20 (9 years ago); never had cravings nor known much different really.

Also; the guy who mentioned quorn; it's pretty foul yeah, but they all taste different and vary in quality... my mums Meat eating boyfriend used to steal my sausages all the time when I was back home.

kingwingin

My ex would always act like. A hippy and talk about how disgusting meat was and how we should be vegetarians yet I would constantly find mcrib boxes under her car seats

wildfire

Banned
how can you say no to a horse striploin fillet steak
Jeremy-Irvine-in-War-Horse-2011-Movie-Image.jpg

entremet

I'm an omnivore, but I've been trying to eat less meat in general, more due to sustainability. I have no ethical issues with eating meat.

Gallbaro

Banned
Because central to eating meat is finding ways to forget the suffering it necessitates and as a result making snide jokes, trying to reassure oneself that it is ok because it is 'natural' etc. is preferable to asking oneself tough questions.
I have been to the slaughtering house, read the jungle, raised, killed and cooked chicken, (Removing the feathers is nasty), and I have no problem enjoying the products of their death.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I'd agree with that statement. My sister has been vegan for about five years, and my mother a vegetarian about as long. For them - and I know can't make blanket systems - but for them, it was an incredibly healthy decision and has changed their physical appearances, mood, and just overall energy reserves. I'd now argue my sister is healthier than 90% of America between a vegan diet and regular exercise.

I still eat meat. All the time. I like it, and don't feel a conviction to "save the animals." But it's amazing, that whenever anyone finds out someone is vegan, 9 times out of 10, my sister or anyone else I'm with is assaulted with a million dismissive or ignorant statements. Meanwhile, in most cases, I'm sure their getting all their nutrients from their McDonalds and Coke. (yes, I know, that's fighting ignorance with ignorance ... It's just silly when people 100lbs over wreight make such statements.

Shrug.

It doesn't personally effect me... Like I said, I wouldn't claim I am super healthy or make great diet decisions. But I've seen it over and over and over again people being more obnoxious about vegans and veggies than thy are about their diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom