• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

86th Academy Awards |OT| of tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

number11

Where does the internet's obsession with Leo suddenly come from? All the teenager, reddit, buzzfeed crowd seems to be obsessed with him not winning an oscar.

Did it become a meme or something?

I always liked him but I remember everybody hating him after Titanic, i guess they were too young then.

I remember it starting as a meme when he was choosing 'Oscar bait' roles. People used to joke about how desperate he was to win an Oscar.

Not sure when/why the internet then became the ones desperate for him to win the Oscar.

Kreed

Did you see 12 years? It was a better film. Gravity was a incredible "experience" but it didn't deserve an oscar for best picture. Every film about "discrimination" that gets an award doesn't have to get it for "pandering"/being Crash 2.0. It was a great movie.

harSon

Banned
Thought McConaughey's speech was pretty awesome. The 10 year thing resonated because who seriously thought in 2003 that How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days Matthew McConaughey would be winning an Oscar in 2014.

It's not that surprising. It's almost like people never saw the beginning of his career.

goddamn though, I am fucking pleased about Rust Cohle getting a Best Actor trophy. 10 years ago who in the fuck could have predicted what he's done this year

All he needs now is the Emmy for his work in True Detective. Would that be considered a drama series or a miniseries though? If the former, it'll be a tough competition.

hamchan

Better acted, better written, better story.

richer performances. other reasons can be debated. I think it's far more meaningful, challenging film, but I accept people would be turned off by the almost excessive violence.

Did you see 12 years? It was a better film. Gravity was a incredible "experience" but it didn't deserve an oscar for best picture. Every film about "discrimination" that gets an award doesn't have to get it for "pandering"/being Crash 2.0. It was a great movie.

Fair enough, can't really disagree with the acting, writing or story. I did see 12 Years a Slave, like a week ago. It was certainly a great movie, a very powerful movie.

I myself personally give more weight to Gravity pushing the film format forward technically with scenes that haven't really been done before, with that great score too. It didn't have a detailed, deep, thought provoking plot but I don't think the movie was ever aiming to have that. It was a "thrill ride" and an "experience" but that "experience" was one of the most amazing things I've seen in the screen so far.
Though the Academy did acknowledge all that by having the film sweep all the technical awards and Best Director, winning the most awards, so I was pretty happy with that.

Plus I really liked 12 Years a Slave too, so I was still happy it got it's props even if it wasn't personally best for me.

hamchan

It's not that surprising. It's almost like people never saw the beginning of his career.

I didn't. Only started noticing him when he was doing shitty rom coms. So happy he's out of that stereotype hellhole.

All he needs now is the Emmy for his work in True Detective. Would that be considered a drama series or a miniseries though? If the former, it'll be a tough competition.

Jessica Lange for American Horror Story won it for miniseries I think, so True Detective should be too.

I didn't. Only started noticing him when he was doing shitty rom coms. So happy he's out of that stereotype hellhole.
Now that he has the Oscar under his belts he can cash in and go back to making rom coms and action flicks (think Nic Cage after Leaving Las Vegas).

Jessica Lange for American Horror Story won it for miniseries I think, so True Detective should be too.

Ahhh good point. He probably has a really good shot at winning it then (obviously still way to early to say, but I've really enjoyed his performance)

Syntsui

I'm just happy that The Great Gatsby won two Oscars. I really liked that movie despite the mediocre reviews and the costumes and production really were on another level.

Aesthet1c

I'm a pretty big Leo fan, and his performance was awesome in Wolf of Wall Street (even though I hated the movie). However MM in Dallas Buyers Club was another level. Any salty Leo fans are kidding themselves if they really thought he was going to win over McConaughey or even Ejiofor.

Syntsui

I'm a pretty big Leo fan, and his performance was awesome in Wolf of Wall Street (even though I hated the movie). However MM in Dallas Buyers Club was another level. Any salty Leo fans are kidding themselves if they really thought he was going to win over McConaughey or even Ejiofor.

Mathew ok, but he was better than Ejiofor on 12 Years. Ejiofor performance was carried by the context and script, as I kept watching it was pretty clear that any other actor could have done the same. This can't apply to Leo's character, it was a role that was really easy to fuck like, act like an idiot, do some stupid stuff and whatever because it's a comedy, but no....he was outstanding while doing that and a lot of critics consider that his best performance ever.

bud

so what was up with the ridley and mcqueen? they didn't even look at each other when ridley went up to receive his award, and he didn't mention mcqueen in his speech. pretty sure mcqueen didn't mention ridley in his speech either.

so what was up with the ridley and mcqueen? they didn't even look at each other when ridley went up to receive his award, and he didn't mention mcqueen in his speech. pretty sure mcqueen didn't mention ridley in his speech either.

I hear they're feuding over Screenplay credit? That fake clap McQueen did was lol

19hd1ile09il9gif.gif

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-03/enhanced/webdr05/

----
[IMG]http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-03/enhanced/webdr04/3/0/anigif_enhanced-buzz-16617-1393825348-8.gif
anigif_enhanced-buzz-29897-1393825406-4.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14499-1393825368-15.gif

He danced for Hollywood, has the number one song in the country and they still wouldn't give it to him

Ridley327

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they're both involved in a screenplay credit dispute. I'm figuring that McQueen did some on-set rewrites without Ridley and they were extensive enough for him to try and seek out credit, which usually doesn't go over very well.

Dabanton

He didn't. The packed room I was in all noticed as well.

Wonder what happened?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they're both involved in a screenplay credit dispute. I'm figuring that McQueen did some on-set rewrites without Ridley and they were extensive enough for him to try and seek out credit, which usually doesn't go over very well.

That would explain the amazing frostiness.

Was really obvious when he didn't mention mqueen, did mqueen mention him?

Loxley

I think I discovered the secret to me enjoying the Oscars non-ironically; stay off GAF. For the first time since I joined up five years ago, I elected not to read and post in the GAF thread every two minutes. Instead I checked in briefly once every 45 minutes or so, and man was that a good decision. To my shock, it added to my enjoyment of the show to not post snarky comments about it after every single joke and award :p

Overall I thought the show was fun and think Ellen did a great job. Hosting the Oscars has to be one of the most nerve-wracking gigs on the planet, even if you've done it before. I didn't come away annoyed with any of the winners either, all well deserved. I went back in this thread afterwards and read some of the reactions and good lord, why so many seemingly take this shit personally is beyond me. Some of the negative reactions after Frozen won were ridiculous, you'd think the animators from The Wind Rises posted on GAF themselves. Once again, as with every awards show, I get the impression that some people watch it with the sole intent of hating everything about it.

The low point for me was probably Idina Menzel's performance, since I was really looking forward to it. First Travolta royally screws her name up, and then she's off key for a chunk of the song and cracks on the last note :/ Real bummer. But again, it's the Oscars, nerves can get the best of anyone. I actually enjoyed most of the speeches as well, all around I think it was a good show and a definitive improvement over last year's.

After watching the Oscars, I have to say that the two films that I really want to see are Nebraska and Philomena. Idk why but those two intrigued me the most.

bill0527

Where does the internet's obsession with Leo suddenly come from? All the teenager, reddit, buzzfeed crowd seems to be obsessed with him not winning an oscar.

Did it become a meme or something?

I always liked him but I remember everybody hating him after Titanic, i guess they were too young then.

Pre-Reddit, Buzzfeed, twitter! etc.. For a long period right after Titanic, Leo got Shia Labeouf levels of hate from all corners. At some point, I guess the switch flipped and 15 years later, people seem to love him.

Parch

Yeah, I think you nailed my problem with Leo. It never feels genuine.
Which is why I'm surprised he even gets nominated, and probably obviously why he never wins. It's so forced.

I don't even understand how it can be considered a snub when most people felt there were at least 2 or 3 performances that were clearly better. Leo never had a chance, and rightly so.

Pre-Reddit, Buzzfeed, twitter! etc.. For a long period right after Titanic, Leo got Shia Labeouf levels of hate from all corners. At some point, I guess the switch flipped and 15 years later, people seem to love him.
Reverse backlash. Same thing with Justin Timberlake

NekoFever

I think I discovered the secret to me enjoying the Oscars non-ironically; stay off GAF. For the first time since I joined up five years ago, I elected not to read and post in the GAF thread every two minutes. Instead I checked in briefly once every 45 minutes or so, and man was that a good decision. To my shock, it added to my enjoyment of the show to not post snarky comments about it after every single joke and award :p

That goes for almost anything that warrants a live thread.

nilbog21

Banned
I thought the characters in 12 years a slave were fairly 1 dimensional and did not accurately represent people's mindset during that era but were mostly fueled by stereotypes (except epps), anyone else? Either way, great movie and deserving of the best picture award

Blackhead

Redarse
I thought the characters in 12 years a slave were fairly 1 dimensional and did not accurately represent people's mindset during that era but were mostly fueled by stereotypes (except epps), anyone else? Either way, great movie and deserving of the best picture award

You know it's an adapted screenplay of a book written in 1853, right?

Complain to Solomon Northup, I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom