• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

86th Academy Awards |OT| of tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

madkiller

Come on leo. This is your year.

tumblr_mzcfgaEMHL1qhct03o4_250.gif

Dead Man

“The Grandmaster” Philippe Le Sourd
“Gravity” Emmanuel Lubezki
“Inside Llewyn Davis” Bruno Delbonnel
“Nebraska” Phedon Papamichael
“Prisoners” Roger A. Deakins

Cheers, worried the cinematographer didn't get the credit with no names in the OP :)

I hope it doesn't win anything tbh. Really didn't like it.

I actually really liked the basic screenplay, I just hated the way it was produced. Wouldn't be sad if it won nothing though.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If American Hustle wins anything I'll be disappointed.

Alfonso Cuaron is going to win best director and I reckon Gravity will get best picture.

Leo wins our sympathy (still kind of hoping he wins for the stairs scene)

Also, you people rooting for Frozen owe it to yourselves to go see The Wind Rises which is currently in theaters.

Stop rubbing the salt in our wounds, comes out in UK in MAY! WTF

When does it come out for DVD or Blu Ray?

Also, why isn't Lego Movie nominated? That was legit great, just saw it yesterday.

jett

D-Member
I hope for some upsets to make this shit interesting, it seems like the main awards are more or less locked up, except I guess supporting actress.

Wilbur

Banned
Okay, I've covered my predictions in another thread but I'll write my wants here, regardless of how far fetched they are.

- I'd be happy with any of the Best Actor nominees winning, save maybe for Bale (who is very good but in an average film). McConaughey was the best of the five, but Leo or Ejiofor winning would also delight me. Dern would be nice too.

- best Actress; Blanchett was wonderful in Blue Jasmine but I'd love to see Amy Adams get it as celebration for all her past roles AND for her work in Her as well.

- Supporting Actor; I didn't think Leto's work was revelatory like many others, so Fassbender or especially Abdi or Hill would make me happy.

- Supporting actress - Nyongo'o was brilliant, I love Hawkins. Not enamoured with Lawrence at all.

- Director - Not O Russell, pls. Cuaron probably does deserve it, but Scorsese always deserves more awards and McQueen did a really brilliant job. Any of those three is fine by me.

- Picture - Her and WOWS are my favourites on the list, but I want to see 12 Years A Slave get it. People harp on about important serious Oscar movies, but I like the idea of kids in 100 years looking at the BP winners as a barometer of quality and seeing something as worthy (not just because it's important, but because it's brilliant) as 12YAS be there. Unfortunately, Crash and The Hurt Locker have already ruined this theory for me.

watershed

Banned
I love how Johnny Depp always had less chances than Caprio even though he is the better actor.
Leo is still doing great work while Depp has been cashing in on the same persona for years now. Maybe if Depp decided to actually try acting again the academy would recognize his effort.

I love Gravity but visuals aside it doesn't deserve to be considered when going up against some of those other ones nominated in best picture. The nomination is fine but if it wins I'll be shocked.

Leo is all I really care about though. Leo doesn't deserve this being a sympathy award like they did with Scorsese. Both have deserved to win a dozen times over already. Doesn't hurt that if Leo does win it will be for his best performance yet.

I'm rooting for Wolf of Wall Street for best picture too.

- best Actress; Blanchett was wonderful in Blue Jasmine but I'd love to see Amy Adams get it as celebration for all her past roles AND for her work in Her as well.

Amy Adams in Her? Ehh, thought it was just an alright performance. Better in American Hustle.

Funny to note, one Academy voter didn't want to vote for Adams because of her boobs.

breakfuss

Sub'd. Gravity will likely take the most because of all the technical stuff, but none of the big awards. The J. Lawrence/Lupita showdown will be the most tense for me. On one hand it'd be cool to see Lawerence make history, but on the other I don't think she should have even been nominated.

I love Gravity but visuals aside it doesn't deserve to be considered when going up against some of those other ones nominated in best picture. The nomination is fine but if it wins I'll be shocked.
It will most likely just be a nomination, like Avatar, groundbreaking visuals but no one expects it to win.
Amy Adams in Her? Ehh, thought it was just an alright performance. Better in American Hustle.

Funny to note, one Academy voter didn't want to vote for Adams because of her boobs.
This is just stupid.

overcast

Her is my favorite of the best picture nominees, I also like Wolf and Gravity quite a bit. Haven't seen plenty of them though, including 12 Years, despite thinking highly of Mcqueen.

Oersted

Leo is still doing great work while Depp has been cashing in on the same persona for years now. Maybe if Depp decided to actually try acting again the academy would recognize his effort.

They ignored so many great performances by him, wouldn't make a difference at this point. It's Hollywood.

breakfuss

JLaw doesn't even remotely deserve the award.

She's obviously been "chosen" by whatever higher authorities are at work. So obvious now it's kind of insulting. Not that she's undeserving of a lot of the praise and success, but this nod certainly felt ...forced.

I think 12 Years has Best Pic locked down. Granted I still haven't seen Wolf. I didn't enjoy Gravity as much as everyone else seems to have, but I wouldn't be bothered if it did manage to take it.

jett

D-Member
She's obviously been "chosen" by whatever higher authorities are at work. So obvious now it's kind of insulting. Not that she's undeserving of a lot of the praise and success, but this nod certainly felt ...forced.

I think 12 Years has Best Pic locked down. Granted I still haven't seen Wolf. I didn't enjoy Gravity as much as everyone else seems to have, but I wouldn't be bothered if it did manage to take it.

Indeed.

I will surprised if 12 Years doesn't get it. I think Wolf has zero chance, hasn't really gotten anything at the awards circuit, and it's too outlandish. The only movie with a chance at standing up against it is Gravity since it has racked up a couple of "best film" awards, but it seems like a longshot to me.

Jarnet87

Leo can't win on a good film like Wolf. He's gonna win it down the line for some very mediocre film much like Scorsese. The academy loves to troll that way.

I hope 12 Years A Slave wins all the categories it's nominated for, but expecting it to lose out.

StuBurns

Banned
BEST PICTURE “12 Years a Slave”
BEST DIRECTOR Alfonso Cuaron, “Gravity”
BEST ACTOR Chiwetel Ejiofor, “12 Years a Slave”
BEST ACTRESS Cate Blanchett, “Blue Jasmine”
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY “Her”
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY “Before Midnight”
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS Lupita Nyong’o, “12 Years a Slave”
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR Barkhad Abdi, “Captain Phillips”
BEST ANIMATED FILM “Frozen”
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY “Gravity”
BEST COSTUME DESIGN Patricia Norris, “12 Years a Slave”
BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE “The Act of Killing”
BEST FILM EDITING “Gravity”
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM “The Great Beauty” Italy
BEST ORIGINAL SONG “Let It Go” from “Frozen”
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN “12 Years a Slave”
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS “Gravity”

I don't agree with many of those, but that's my guess.

newjeruse

They ignored so many great performances by him, wouldn't make a difference at this point. It's Hollywood.
Yup. And Hollywood hates Leo. /rollseyes

Leo's performance doesn't punch at the weight of the two favorites. You're going to have to accept that.

styl3s

Come on leo. This is your year.
He will never win one.

Out of all the movies and snubs you think Wolf is going to be it? Like i said last time i am convinced he did something early in his career that pissed someone or some people off and until that person(s) die he will never, ever win.

Leo's performance doesn't punch at the weight of the two favorites. You're going to have to accept that.
I completely agree and i don't think Leo should for best actor, he isn't even top 5 performances of a lead this year to me. Doesn't change the fact he was snubbed out of some of the best performances on film.

Someone or some people clearly do not like him and it's playing a part in his snubs. There is no way anyone can deny that.

Amir0x

Banned
He will never win one.

Out of all the movies and snubs you think Wolf is going to be it? Like i said last time i am convinced he did something early in his career that pissed someone or some people off and until that person(s) die he will never, ever win.

The politics of the Academy mean sometimes they reward statues to individuals who are not merely the best in their year, but may have been perceived to been unfairly "snubbed" in the past - especially if it was more than one snub. So even though I agree that he hardly deserves one for Wolf (actually I never liked Leo much at all, but that's separate), it is true that he still could conceivably have a chance.

But I don't personally think he'll get it this year, Wolf has no real momentum from any awards shows to go off of.

Oersted

Leo not winning yet is all about Academy's problem with good looking people and him, not being backed up yet by the big guys. Same reason why Bogart never won and Julianne Moore and Johansson most likely will never win.

Edit: And yes, I also think he doesn't deserve to win this year. But we all know how much that matters.

StuBurns

Banned
Leo not winning yet is all about Academy's problem with good looking people and him, not being backed up yet by the big guys. Same reason why Bogart never won and Julianne Moore and Johansson most likely will never win.

Edit: And yes, I also think he doesn't deserve to win this year. But we all know how much that matters.
Lots of attractive people have won oscars, what are you talking about? Jennifer Lawrence won last year.

daydream

Banned
As long as Gravity doesn't get to go home with an Oscar for one of the bigger categories, I think I'll be more or less alright with the results. (Still salty about Llewyn Davies getting snubbed.)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
As long as Gravity doesn't get to go home with an Oscar for one of the bigger categories, I think I'll be more or less alright with the results. (Still salty about Llewyn Davies getting snubbed.)
It's better than 12YAS and American Hustle.

But yeah, Inside Llewyn Davis should be up there without a doubt. For my money the best American film of 2013.

Oersted

I still have no idea what you mean, but that's okay.

Oscars always have been a Producers award ceremony. Thats why for centuries only the producers went on stage for best movie. This has obviously changed, but you still need the powerful guys to win.

StuBurns

Banned
Oscars always have been a Producers award ceremony. Thats why for centuries only the producers went on stage for best movie. This has obviously changed, but you still need the powerful guys to win.
So basically you're saying Jennifer Lawrence gets to be hot, and win Best Actress because the producers of SLP are more influential than the producers of The Aviator? Then how do you explain Cate Blanchett winning for The Aviator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom