• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

86th Academy Awards |OT| of tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
BEST PICTURE
“The Wolf of Wall Street”

BEST ACTOR
Matthew McConaughey, “Dallas Buyers Club”

BEST ACTRESS
Amy Adams, “American Hustle”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jonah Hill, “The Wolf of Wall Street”
Jared Leto, “Dallas Buyers Club”

I'm pretty alright with all of the expected wins, movies were way better this year. As long as American Hustle doesn't get anything major, which it probably won't, it should be a good show.

Ridley327

With The Walking Dead tonight looking to be a Beth-focused episode, this leaves me no choice but to watch the Oscars in its steed.

Empty

#teammcqueen

if it wins it'll be the first winner i've properly loved since no country for old men

hope american hustle wins as little as possible

harSon

Banned
Hopefully 12 Years a Slave doesn't have a Color Purple like night. I'd walk away pretty pissed. And if Jennifer Lawrence wins, I'm not going to lie... I'll be pretty fucking salty. As for who I think should win:

BEST PICTURE

12 Years a Slave or Her. I preferred the latter and really hope it pulls the upset, however unlikely that may prove to be, but would be happy if either won.

BEST DIRECTOR

Steve McQueen, “12 Years a Slave”

BEST ACTOR

Chiwetel Ejiofor or Matthew McConaughey. I thought Ejiofor gave the better performance out of the respective movies they're nominated for, but I wouldn't be against the Academies rewarding McConaughey for the year he's had, because he's been pretty fucking masturful.

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett is probably going to win, and she arguably deserves to win, but I really like Amy Adams and wouldn't be too upset if she were to win. Her performance in American Hustle was one of the few things I found not to be overrated.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Her – Written by Spike Jonze. I think American Hustle is going to win it, but I have issues naming a screenplay that reads like a Scorcese movie knockoff Best Original Screenplay. Her was masterful and definitely deserves a lot of recognition.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

“12 Years a Slave” – Screenplay by John Ridley or “The Wolf of Wall Street” – Screenplay by Terence Winter. I'm conflicted. I think 12 Years a Slave should win, but on the other hand, I don't think The Wolf of Wall Street should leave empty handed because it's a rather well rounded quality film.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Lupita Nyong’o, “12 Years a Slave” - It's really not even a contest. For Jennifer Lawrence to win in back to back years suggests that there was no competition, and that her performance was so amazing that the Academy Awards had no choice but to make her one of the few people in history to ever win awards in consecutive years. Neither of those are remotely true, and to rob Lupita for such a beautifully nuanced and heartfelt performance, in favor of something so over the top, overacted and overly hysterical - just because the industry has a hard on for for - would truly be heartbreaking.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Jared Leto, “Dallas Buyers Club” - Similar to Lupita Nyong’o, I think this category is a no brainer as well. There were a ton of good to great performances within the category, but Jared Leto was downright brilliant. Arguably my favorite performance of year.

Hopefully Her will win some awards, easily the best movie of the year for me. Gravity for visuals though, it was beautiful. Bullock was pretty good too.

American hustle was funny at times but I can't see it winning much.

dvdjamm

Best Original Song
Let It Go - "Frozen"

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
“Gravity”

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
“Gravity”

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
“American Hustle”

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
“Gravity”

BEST ANIMATED FILM
“Frozen”

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
“12 Years a Slave”

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
“American Hustle”

BEST DIRECTOR
Steve McQueen, “12 Years a Slave”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Lupita Nyong’o, “12 Years a Slave”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jared Leto, “Dallas Buyers Club”

BEST ACTRESS
Sandra Bullock, “Gravity”

BEST ACTOR
Matthew McConaughey, “Dallas Buyers Club”

BEST PICTURE
“12 Years a Slave” (But for some reason I think Gravity has a great chance for a upset)

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I am officially calling that 12 Years will get huge Oscar love, taking most of the categories that it's nominated for, with Gravity taking some of the technical categories and Leo sneaking in for best actor, finally, because WoWS won't get (m)any other awards and 12 Years will get so many that it will be a good trade off in the academy's mind, and 12 Years had so many outstanding performances in general it's hard to single someone out.

Edit:
I doubt that Bullock will get best Actress, although I'd be totally fine with that.
Leto for supporting Actor (Actress?)
McQueen for Director
Leo for Actor!
Costume American Hustle
I feel like American Hustle is bound to get one of the supporting role awards and since Leto is a lock maybe the supporting actress? Maybe 12 Years again though.

Actually I agree with the post above me after that pretty much. Score I'm not sure about. I also hope that Her sneaks a few, could be a score contender.

Nibel

American Hustle is a very overrated movie in my opinion which is why I hope that one of the other movies will win the big prize

And Leonardo DiCaprio getting a Oscar would be great; I can see him delivering a legendary acceptance speech

Sanjuro

Great choice of host. Arguably the best choice.

Can't say I agree. I've been hoping she would be violently ill and need to be replaced. Like Billy Crystal a few years ago, I just don't see how this helps reach more imporant demographics. Feels like a step back.

If Oscars were a NBC property, would have loved to see Fallon considering his role right now.

Mononoke

Banned
If the Wind Rises wins, I'll be happy. I know it has no chance in hell beating Frozen. It was a great film, that made the industry millions. No way it can win. But I ended up liking Wind more. Was a lot more moved by it.

Outside of that, I don't really have anything I care about this year. I won't be upset if anyone wins or loses. I guess I was a big fan of Matthew McConaughey in Dallas Buyer's Club. Leto too. I feel at least Leto has to win. But outside of that.

jett

D-Member
Can't say I agree. I've been hoping she would be violently ill and need to be replaced. Like Billy Crystal a few years ago, I just don't see how this helps reach more imporant demographics. Feels like a step back.

If Oscars were a NBC property, would have loved to see Fallon considering his role right now.

Ugh, Fallon is so dull and vanilla.

Jon Stewart should've returned.

If the Wind Rises wins, I'll be happy. I know it has no chance in hell beating Frozen. It was a great film, that made the industry millions. No way it can win. But I ended up liking Wind more. Was a lot more moved by it.
Such an amazing, deep, emotional, well done film. It really transcends its subject matter and is basically about creativity in general. I think the movie was really more about Miyazaki himself than it was about Jiro. If it really is his last film, then he went out with a bang.

Mononoke

Banned
Such an amazing, deep, emotional, well done film. It really transcends its subject matter and is basically about creativity in general. I think the movie was really more about Miyazaki himself than it was about Jiro. If it really is his last film, then he went out with a bang.

Yeah it certainly was. Beautiful commentary on his own career, I found the film to be really bittersweet (in the best kind of way). For me, the film also resonated beyond it just being about Miyazaki though, as I thought the message also applied to a central aspect of humanity. I just loved everything about it. Thought the animation was gorgeous. The direction was impeccable. And the overall theme/message was profound.

I actually watched Frozen later that day (since my family wanted to watch it again), and it was just...I dunno. I guess we are comparing apples and oranges here. I love Frozen. But I was just more emotionally moved by Wind. I thought it was more masterful. I'm just bummed that it's not even being considered. That it's not even apart of the conversation. I hate that Frozen is considered this automatic lock. :(

Peru

BhuO4Y1IEAAfHUp.jpg

Sanjuro

Ugh, Fallon is so dull and vanilla.

Jon Stewart should've returned.

Regardless, he is at his peak right now and reaching a very large demographic. I think Fallon is pretty fun and enthusiastic.

I didn't like Stewart on his first go, but would have liked to see him come back.

Everyone gets vaginal rejuvenation therapy in the goodie bags, that are at a value of $80,000! Yay :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ure-offered-in-80000-goodie-bags-9143854.html
ARTAS Robotic Hair Transplant surgery

Walk Japan tour

Best of Vegas holiday package

Halo natural pet food (host Ellen DeGeneres is an ambassador and actors can donate the food to an animal charity of their choice)

Rocky Mountaineer train trip

Imanta Mexico holiday package

Dr Charles Runels' O-Shot procedure to enhance sexual response

Steamist home spa system

Koala Landing resort stay in Kauai

Epic pet health therapy

Gizara arts print

Huntley Drive fitness training sessions

Krystal Klear filtered water system

Max Martin shoes

Le Petit Cirque lessons

A house call from respected acupuncturist Heather Lounsbury

Jan Lewis bracelet

Slow watch made in Switzerland

Acure skincare

Jitseu handbags

Narrative clip camera

Rouge organic maple syrup

Coolway Go Pro hairdryer

Mace pepper spray guns

Polar Loop activity tracker

M3K beauty products

Horse shampoo for humans

Chocolatines of flavours including 'chocolate-dipped bacon', 'chianti wine with olive' and 'champagne brut with bleu cheese bark'

Knit & Co cable knit mittens

Slimware portion control dinnerware

Betty Jane candies

Blossoms Blends tea

Hydroxycut weight loss products

Dosha herbal tea lollipops

Aviv 613 vodka

Cannonball wine

Bee Free Honee organic apple honey

Wrag Wrap sustainable gift wrap

Simon's Happy Pet shampoo

Nobody voting for Ernest and Celestine for Best Animated Film should make me sad, but it doesn't.

Now that's the 2013 movie I overlooked, thanks for reminding :)

Might go with my sister tomorrow to see Dallas Buyer's Club. When BBC showed the awards, I told her that was a man and it took her aback. She now really wants to see Jared Leto as a woman. Gotta admit, he is nice looking.

Man I know she won't get it but Sandra Bullock carried Gravity on her shoulders. Her performance is fucking top tier. Cate Blanchett is great in Blue Jasmine but the emotional intensity in Gravity left me in awe. Gravity was top movie of the year, technically speaking and overall quality as well.

Syntsui

Man I know she won't get it but Sandra Bullock carried Gravity on her shoulders. Her performance is fucking top tier. Cate Blanchett is great in Blue Jasmine but the emotional intensity in Gravity left me in awe. Gravity was top movie of the year, technically speaking and overall quality as well.

Cate won almost all the awards up to now, she will hardly lose by now...

Cate won almost all the awards up to now, she will hardly lose by now...

I know it's just disappointing, she plays a great crazy woman but a lot of it works through the one screen chemistry from her costars. Bullock brought in rave reviews entirely on her own. It's basically the female Cast Away.

- J - D -

I just need them to play the woof-woof scene for Sandra's nomination reel and the entire night will have been worth it, regardless of who wins what.

Yeah it certainly was. Beautiful commentary on his own career, I found the film to be really bittersweet (in the best kind of way). For me, the film also resonated beyond it just being about Miyazaki though, as I thought the message also applied to a central aspect of humanity. I just loved everything about it. Thought the animation was gorgeous. The direction was impeccable. And the overall theme/message was profound.

I actually watched Frozen later that day (since my family wanted to watch it again), and it was just...I dunno. I guess we are comparing apples and oranges here. I love Frozen. But I was just more emotionally moved by Wind. I thought it was more masterful. I'm just bummed that it's not even being considered. That it's not even apart of the conversation. I hate that Frozen is considered this automatic lock. :(
No one expected Spirited Away to win. Also, there has been positive chatter among my admittedly small industry circles and my family's social circles about The Wind Rises and many of them are Academy voters so you never know.

Syntsui

I haven't seen a song stand out so much in a film in many, many years. Frozen will likely get it. Will certainly get best animated film as well.

EDIT: Ok now I got it all confused, the song on Frozen is Let it Go, I keep thinking the Pharrel's song was on there. haha

Yeah yeah, they deserve it, but U2 already got the Golden Globe which was really BIG indicator that they will win the Oscar. I'm still rooting for Happy though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom