• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 Fat Loss Myths You Might Be Wasting Your Time With

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Get him fit gaf, get him!

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/9-fat-loss-myths

9 Fat Loss Myths

Myth #1 - Frequent Eating Ramps Up Your Metabolism

It seems this notion will never die.

There is no scientific evidence that shows frequent meal consumption increases the metabolism. A review of pertinent studies found that total daily energy expenditure was the same, regardless of the meal frequency used. (1)

Frequency of meals in this meta-analysis ranged between one and seventeen feedings per day. Researchers stated: "Studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging."

Since this 1997 study, all new research has supported this conclusion.

\Myth #2 - You Must Eat Protein at Every Meal

Proper daily protein intake is essential when losing fat. It helps your body hold on to valuable muscle, improving your body composition as you lose weight.

Though eating protein at every meal isn't a bad thing, it's not necessary. As long as you are reaching a reasonable daily protein intake level, it generally doesn't matter when and how you eat it.

Don't panic if you miss a protein meal. You are not going to go catabolic and lose all your gains. This obsessive compulsive belief has ruined many a day.

Myth #3 - You Shouldn't Eat Carbs after 2 PM

This is another load of bologna, as my grandmother would say. As long as your daily calories are in check, and you aren't overeating carbs in an unbalanced manner relative to the other macronutrients, it won't matter much when you eat them.

There is nothing magical about late afternoon or evening carb consumption. The human body doesn't contain a secret "off button" that suddenly turns all carbs into fat after 2 pm.

The assumption is that metabolic rate slows while sleeping. On the average, this is not true. While the human metabolism does initially decrease by 35% after zonking out (2), it later increases significantly when you achieve REM sleep.

The end result is that your metabolism while sleeping is no slower than your resting metabolic rate during the day. (3,4) Furthermore, it should be noted that daily exercise leads to an increase in your sleeping metabolic rate. (5)
Myth #4 - You Need to Perform Endless Hours of Cardio

Wrong, wrong and wrong. While 3 to 4 cardio sessions of 20 to 30 minutes each per week is great for overall health, cardio itself isn't an efficient fat loss tool - diet is.

Let's say you are walking 3 miles per hour. One mile of walking burns approximately 100 calories. You would need to walk 35 miles per week to burn off one pound of fat. Even if you had the time to walk this much, you wouldn't lose fat unless your eating habits were in check.

Don't overkill the cardio. Structure a proper diet plan and the weight will come off. Add is some cardio each week for improved health and conditioning.

Myth #5 - You Should Immediately Cut Calories

Blindly cutting calories doesn't address your bad habits, nor does it help you forge a new lifestyle. Without addressing the eating (and drinking) habits that got you in trouble in the first place, you are likely to fail and gain any weight you do lose back.

Before you rush out to cut calories, take an honest assessment of your diet. Try to remove 90% of the following:
• Sugary drinks and fruit juices (fruit juice is like fruit without all the good nutrition found in the pulp and skin)
• Processed foods (boxed meals, most frozen foods, etc.)
• Junk snacks (cookies, crackers, chips and candy)

Once you weed out most of these trash foods, you can then insert healthier options. At this point it is time to start watching your calories.

Myth #6 - Rapid Weight Loss is Always a Good Thing

While losing 4 to 5 pounds (or more) per week might be necessary for very obese individuals who are trying to regain good health as quickly as possible, it is not the best way to lose weight if you want to look good when you're done. Let's set aside talk about extremely obese individuals and talk about you.

Most of us need to drop about 20 to 40 pounds of fat, tops. If this is the case, to look your best after the fat loss process is done you want to lose about 1.5 to 2 pounds per week.

This rate of weight loss will allow you to maintain as much muscle mass as possible while losing mostly fat. This is what you want. If you drop the pounds in a rapid manner you will lose muscle and fat, and risk ending up looking thin, but still soft and somewhat flabby.

Myth #7 - Fasted Cardio is Superior for Fat Loss

Not true. Without getting into all the debates over types of cardio, and the optimal time to do cardio, I want to bring to the table some common sense.

We have already established that diet drives fat loss, and cardio has a minimal impact (unless you have time to exercise hours and hours each day). With this understood, I highly recommend simply doing:
1. The type of cardio you enjoy.
2. The type of cardio that is appropriate for your age, health and conditioning levels.
3. Cardio at a time of day that makes the most sense to you.

While HIIT cardio may be the best form of cardio on paper, it also might be risky for you. Walk, swim, or go bowling. Just get moving. Once you start to build up your fitness and conditioning levels, then you can try more challenging forms of cardio if you desire.

Also, it's far better to perform cardio at a time of day where you are not rushed or tired. You are more likely to enjoy it and stick to it without missing cardio sessions.

Returning to the topic of fasted cardio, here is a quote from Brad Schoenfeld on the subject:

In conclusion, the literature does not support the efficacy of training early in the morning on an empty stomach as a tactic to reduce body fat. At best, the net effect on fat loss associated with such an approach will be no better than training after meal consumption, and quite possibly, it would produce inferior results. (6)
Myth #8 - Choose Low Fat Foods to Lose Fat

Eating fat does not make you fat. This is one of the prevalent, but ridiculous nutritional myths. It needs to die, and I encourage you to help with this process.

Excess calories makes you fat. Candy, cookies, chips, crackers, high calorie fast food, processed dinners and meals, sugary drinks...most people over-consume these food products while underconsuming real, whole, nutritionally dense foods.

Low fat foods often contain added sugar for taste, or are misleading to begin with. How many times have you seen this on a bag of candy or cookies: low fat! Of course these things are low fat; they're all sugar!

A "low fat" label on a food is meaningless. It can still be very high in calories.

A high calorie diet makes you gain weight. Control your calories, you control your weight. Fat will not cause you to gain weight if your eating habits are reasonable and balanced.
Myth #9 - Avoid Fruit During The Fat Loss Process

This is another foolish fat loss myth. Yes, fruit does have some sugar, but no, fruit is far from calorie dense and hard to overeat. In addition, fruit is packed with vitamins and minerals.

We will beat the same drum here: overall calorie intake is the most important factor when it comes to weight gain. I have yet to run into a single individual that "got fat" from eating too many strawberries, apples or oranges.

The reasonable amount of natural sugars and carbs found in fruit won't make much of a difference. They certainly won't cause your belly to grow if your overall calories are in check.

While losing fat it's best to eat a variety of fruits and veggies each week. This allows you to intake a broader spectrum of vitamins and minerals, and is great for overall health.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
Stay way from junk food.

And exercise regularly (doesn't matter which really, the focus on weight training is popular but not necessary, just maintain physical activity).

Simple.

LiK

great list. makes a lot of sense. i've been slimming down this summer simply eating less, cutting off junk food and soda. next step is an exercise routine i can follow.

I lost 30 pounds last year by not snacking in between my 3 meals and fasting from dinner to dinner twice a week. These all seem pretty legit.

I lost them in about a 6 month period. Went from 225-195 and stood there.

Sapiens

Avoid eating bread/gluten/sugars frequently.

Actually avoid all white sugar if possible.

Lots of Broccoli and other dark green vegis should always be consumed.

Weight will melt off and you'll keep your muscle.

In all, really, really put an effort into cutting bread and sugar and you'll lose weight in a gradual and consistent manner.

There is really no way to lose a lot of weight effectively if you think you can still eat bread with any regularity.

Sadsic

i started a different anti-depressant and dropped like 50 lbs in 3 months last year. i did it the easy way

Sapiens

And here come the gluten/carb phobics.

It's the ONLY thing that worked for me. I know what I sound like, but it's been so effective.

I still have bread/cake/etc on special occasions - I'm not a nazi about it - but bread is no longer a staple.

I spent years trying other things, but for ME, the problem was bread. Maybe I should rephrase my post to suggest that if you've tried EVERYTHING else with no results, cutting bread may be a solution for you.

Save for bread and sugar, I generally eat the same as I used to.

This means looking like a weirdo when I order a burger with lettuce instead of buns, but I'll take my lean 188lb frame over the ~230lb one I had last year.

Also, I never realized how amazing coffee could taste without all that sugar I used to pour into it (Jeff Goldblum style a-la The Fly).

Vesmir

Banned
I don't know. I went to the gym twice a week with little result, then cut the cereal and bread I was eating and the fat melted off.

I don't even know what to believe anymore when it comes to fitness information.

Do what works for you, experiment with what makes YOU feel better after cutting it out or intaking less and what YOU see shedding the pounds. People want a single solution to this problem when different people just need all kinds of different answers. Fact is I'm kind of tired of people suggesting there is only ONE way to do this shit.

Sapiens

Sure.

My whole post makes the honest concessions about my experience, but I guess this was more fun for you.

We're all different, and if anyone else was in the same boat as me (ie, nothing else really working), my experience could serve as beneficial information.

The only trick being that if I ever started consuming bread and sugar in the normal fashion that I used to - a sandwich for lunch, a slice of a baguette at dinner and sugar in my coffees - I would probably gain all that weight back. That's it.

Otherwise, I lead and continue to lead a pretty normal lifestyle.

RM8

Ok? What worked for him could work for others, so he's sharing the information. Just like everyone else here. Is there a problem?
Yes?

There is really no way to lose a lot of weight effectively if you think you can still eat bread with any regularity.
This is the only thing that bothers me. "My belief is the only correct one, I swear!".

Depends on the bread and amount. Whole wheat and oatmeal are pretty good. Stay away from stuff like dinner rolls, burger buns, white bread and limit the amount.

I'm losing weight by eating about 3/4 cup of bran cereal with milk, of course and a 3/4cup of yogurt plus fruit and a small portion of the food that my family makes at dinner. If I do snack it's on carrots and celery.

Most of his info is pretty spot on.. no stupid magic foods boosting metabolism or "breakfast starts the furnace" crap

I don't think breakfast starts the furnace but a lot of people will have coffee + snack, which means sugar in the morning instead of some eggs, which would help them a lot more. And it takes less than 10 minutes to fry an egg but people would rather go get a mcmuffin.

v1lla21

Huh, funny how last night my girlfriend and I were going through our pictures and I saw how fat I've become over 2 years. It got me quite sad. Good thing I stumbled upon this post.

Reg

Banned
We have already established that diet drives fat loss, and cardio has a minimal impact (unless you have time to exercise hours and hours each day). With this understood, I highly recommend simply doing:
1. The type of cardio you enjoy.
2. The type of cardio that is appropriate for your age, health and conditioning levels.
3. Cardio at a time of day that makes the most sense to you.
Good advice there.

SeanR1221

Surprisingly decent info.

For me personally I like to stick to chicken, seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruit, oatmeal, rice, sweet potatoes, lentils, Greek yogurt, almond milk, cottage cheese and whey powder. That makes up 99% of my diet

NoRéN

It's the ONLY thing that worked for me. I know what I sound like, but it's been so effective.

I still have bread/cake/etc on special occasions - I'm not a nazi about it - but bread is no longer a staple.

I spent years trying other things, but for ME, the problem was bread. Maybe I should rephrase my post to suggest that if you've tried EVERYTHING else with no results, cutting bread may be a solution for you.

Save for bread and sugar, I generally eat the same as I used to.

This means looking like a weirdo when I order a burger with lettuce instead of buns, but I'll take my lean 188lb frame over the ~230lb one I had last year.

Also, I never realized how amazing coffee could taste without all that sugar I used to pour into it (Jeff Goldblum style a-la The Fly).

Damn, every time I read something like this I start thinking about how much more weight i could have lost if i cut out bread and tortillas and whatnot.

Still, losing 20lbs without changing my diet ain't too bad I suppose.

dralla

All pretty solid advice. Fruit is tricky for me. I lost a lot of weight eating fruit regularly. But it got to a point where my weight loss stalled and once I cut back on the fruit [apples!], the weight started coming off again. Even now if eat fruit I will gain weight. I'm assuming it's water weight and not fat because I don't look any different and my clothes still fit the same. I'm thinking the added sugar intake is increasing water retention, thus the increase in weight. If I replace my fruit snacks with nuts, I will drop the weight.

Did anyone actually believe that?
The amount of things people believe in that is scientifically untrue is vast. From organic food being nutritionally superior to carbs/gluten being the devil to GMO's causing cancer.
This thread is going to turn into people believing in "listening to your body" and diet fads instead of evidence. The placebo/nocebo effect plus conformation bias in nutrition is huge.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm doing ~2 hours of muscle training three days a week, have completely cut out soda, and continue to eat whatever I want so long as it's "real" food (so nothing microwaved, no fast food, but sure, I'll eat a big ol' steak and potato with butter or a heavily seasoned meal).

I feel so much better, and even after just a little less than two months, I can already begin to see some changes. I signed up for a year gym membership, and I'm forcing myself to continue with this for one year, to see how I look and feel.

I don't want to give up everything - I love to eat, and I like my junk food. But some things had to change, and I'm happy with my progress thus far.

The amount of things people believe in that is scientifically untrue is vast. From organic food being nutritionally superior to carbs/gluten being the devil to GMO's causing cancer.
This thread is going to turn into people believing in "listening to your body" and diet fads instead of evidence. The placebo/nocebo effect plus conformation bias in nutrition is huge.

What happens to people's bodies is evidence. lol. Here it comes.

What happens to people's bodies is evidence. lol. Here it comes.

It's an anecdote and that's not evidence and can be misinterpreted or misdiagnosed by a non-porfessional plus the placebo/nocebo effect.

It's people with that sort of thinking that leads to believing in homeopathy and naturopathy.

I'm doing ~2 hours of muscle training three days a week, have completely cut out soda, and continue to eat whatever I want so long as it's "real" food (so nothing microwaved, no fast food, but sure, I'll eat a big ol' steak and potato with butter or a heavily seasoned meal).

I feel so much better, and even after just a little less than two months, I can already begin to see some changes. I signed up for a year gym membership, and I'm forcing myself to continue with this for one year, to see how I look and feel.

I don't want to give up everything - I love to eat, and I like my junk food. But some things had to change, and I'm happy with my progress thus far.

Best and easiest thing someone can do.

Salamando

I've lost a good 50 punds (250-200) over the past year and a half through just portion control and actually paying attention to serving sizes and the calories contained therein. If people actually did the math on how much they take in on a given day, they'd be surprised.

When I don't eat _____, I feel better but really I should wait for some studies to tell me if I'm correct about how I feel.
Placebo/nocebo.

All of a sudden I stop eating X, I feel better. I attribute it to stopping X instead of any other variable without consulting a medical professional. Stuff like intolerance demands that due diligence.

I don't think breakfast starts the furnace but a lot of people will have coffee + snack, which means sugar in the morning instead of some eggs, which would help them a lot more. And it takes less than 10 minutes to fry an egg but people would rather go get a mcmuffin.

I mean the myth that breakfast kickstarts the metabolism when it doesnt. It's a completely irrelevant meal should one decide to forego it

Placebo/nocebo.

lol. It's impossible talking about this with you since you think you know better than people who deal with their own diet and see things happen in action. And yes they do it scientifically by figuring out what their body intakes and how it feels or weighs after they do. But you're stuck on devaluing their own statements based on whatever study you google that doesn't match their findings.

Enco

The misinformation is crazy.

Here's a quick 101:

Want to lose weight? Find your calorie maintenance and eat 500 under.
Want to gain weight? Find your calorie maintenance and eat 10-20% over.
Want to be healthy? Workout/exercise. Stick to meat, fruit and veg as your main diet staples and throw in some healthy fats/wholegrains to top it off.

Boom. Sorted.

Ok? What worked for him could work for others, so he's sharing the information. Just like everyone else here. Is there a problem?

Yes. The problem is that some people are unable to handle anything that may challenge what they perceive as right and tradition so they criticize and ridicule. Basically, conservatism rearing its ugly head in yet another topic.

120v

i dunno if i agree with the hours of cardio part. i know staying on the treadmill for hours isn't the only key to losing weight but it's a huge factor.

if i've been slipping a bit and only do about 3 hours of cardio a week as opposed to my regular 4-6, i can notice a difference right away. i'm definitely looking a little more bloated

RM8

Yes. The problem is that some people are unable to handle anything that may challenge what they perceive as right and tradition so they criticize and ridicule. Basically, conservatism rearing its ugly head in yet another topic.
Lol if this is aimed at me :p

lol. It's impossible talking about this with you since you think you know better than people who deal with their own diet and see things happen in action. And yes they do it scientifically by figuring out what their body intakes and how it feels or weighs after they do. But you're stuck on devaluing their own statements based on whatever study you google that doesn't match their findings.

No, that's really scientific. That's just blind trial and error.

I don't have any qualms about people testing out different diets, just do so under professional direction as there is much misinformation out there.

No, I don't just Google it, I have taken various college level courses on nutrition and disease prevention and I go through well-regarded online sources as well as my textbooks. I am not expert but it isn't a fallacy to rely on experts for expert knowledge. That's why they're experts.

Skeyser

i dunno if i agree with the hours of cardio part. i know staying on the treadmill for hours isn't the key to losing weight but it's a huge factor.

if i've been slipping a bit and only do about 3 hours of cardio a week as opposed to my regular 4-6, i can notice a difference right away. i'm definitely looking a little more bloated

probably just dehydrated from that much cardio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom