• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

911 Dispatcher hangs up on woman helping Gun-Shot victim after she swore at him

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
E11IdyT.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...er-desk-duty-after-hanging-911-caller-n399846

An Albuquerque Fire Department dispatcher has been reassigned after he allegedly refused to help a distraught woman asking for assistance on a 911 call as her friend was dying after being shot, fire officials said.

In audio released Tuesday, a dispatcher identified as Matthew Sanchez appears to get frustrated by a woman tending to Jaydon Chavez-Silver, a 17-year-old who was shot by a gunman who opened fire into a house where a party was being held at around 10 p.m. on June 26, authorities said.

Chavez-Silver was pronounced dead at a hospital, and there have been no arrests, Albuquerque police said Tuesday.

Sanchez asks several times whether the victim is breathing, and the caller says, "He's barely breathing. How many times do I have to f---ing tell you?"

Sanchez is heard responding, "OK, you know what, ma'am? You can deal with yourself, I'm not going to deal with this, OK?" The caller pleads, "No, my friend is dying! I …" and the line disconnects.

"After learning of the alleged misconduct, Driver Matthew Sanchez was immediately removed from the dispatch center and placed on administrative assignment," Albuquerque Fire Chief David Downey said in a statement.

"An internal investigation has been initiated. As the Chief of the department, I am taking the allegation very seriously," he said.

Chavez-Silver was to be a senior at Manzano High School. His mother, Nicole Chavez, said in a statement to NBC station KOB that released dispatch recording confirmed rumors that her son was not given the care he deserved.

"We heard rumors about the 911 operator hanging up on the caller when Jaydon was shot but had no other information. After hearing the call today, it is heartbreaking to listen to," she said. "Right now, we just want to find the people responsible for this violent, deadly crime."

Police said at the time Chavez-Silver was shot that they had no motive in the shooting and no indication whether he was the intended target.

A police spokesman said Tuesday there are no updates in the case.

Nicole Chavez told NBC News Tuesday that she has been assured by the detective working the case that investigators have leads in the shooting. She said her son was starting football practice and had dreams of going to college.

"I think for a parent it takes part of you. It takes part of you with him," she said. "You are left with an empty spot in your heart forever."

A reward of $4,000 has been raised for information leading to the gunman, Chavez-Silver's family said in a statement.

Nicole Chavez said of this dispatcher, "I don't understand why he did what he did," and she hopes the call leads to training to ensure that it never happens again. "This call was not handled appropriately," she said.

150728-jaydon-chavez-silver-plane-314p_70ff5a1955ca322719a591893fcb3e4e.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Jaydon Chavez-Silver

How is there even an "investiagtion" with a case like this. How are they not proudly declaring that he has been fired?

GulAtiCa

That is disgusting. I hope there are criminal charges brought up against that asshole 911 dispatcher for hanging up....

Tenebrous

Accomplice to manslaughter/murder? I've no idea about the US legal system, but that guy should be taken to court for potentially costing a life.

How do you get this job without knowing it will be full of calls from panicky and shocked individuals? Did the guy think he was working a psychic hotline?

Fury451

Banned
What the fuck

It means he's been taken off calls until they can complete their investigation. Regardless of how obviously open and shut it is, they still need to go through proper channels to handle it. It doesn't mean he's walking away free or anything.

Nekofrog

Banned
well that's one way to

1. eventually lose your job
2. initiate a huge lawsuit towards the county

all because one dude sitting in a comfortable office decided that this was the call he was going to be a heartless monster on and let a kid die.

How is there even an "investiagtion" with a case like this. How are they not proudly declaring that he has been fired?
Because there are procedures to follow generally within government employment situations. If a government is found to be ignoring policies for processes, they can open themselves up to lengthy litigation. Even in obvious cases like this.

I have little doubt the dispatcher will be fired after the process completes. At least I'd hope.

Maximus.

Holy fuck that is messed up, people are distraught when they call, I can't believe that a dispatcher would not be capable of understanding that. It isn't like she was ordering a goddamn pizza or some shit. Wow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Because there are procedures to follow generally within government employment situations. If a government is found to be ignoring policies for processes, they can open themselves up to lengthy litigation. Even in obvious cases like this.

I have little doubt the dispatcher will be fired after the process completes. At least I'd hope.

Still, you'd thing the prescribed "investigation" would be playing the 2 minutes of audio, then throwing the guy out on his ass.

Reminds me of several years ago where a little girl called 911 to get help for her mom, and the 911 operator didn't believe her and accused her of playing with the phone.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Throw the book, a big, leatherbound and brass-reinforced book, at this moron.
Sigh.

Do we know what happened to the victim?

Slayven

Still, you'd thing the prescribed "investigation" would be playing the 2 minutes of audio, then throwing the guy out on his ass.

I mean what else is there to it?

He should also get reckless endangerment charge as well.

This shit is serious, you are paid to deal with stressful situations, you don't get to pick and choose.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Do we know what happened to the victim?

He sadly died, and emergency services were dispatched before he hung up, but still, he might have been able to provide some level of assistance over the phone. Put pressure on the wound, elevate some part of the body, etc.. Even CPR if he stopped breathing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sounds like the guy is in the wrong job if he didn't like people swearing at him, especially when emotion are running high.

Plus his little hissy fit didn't help anyone, including himself.

He sadly died, and emergency services were dispatched before he hung up, but still, he might have been able to provide some level of assistance over the phone. Put pressure on the wound, elevate some part of the body, etc.. Even CPR if he stopped breathing.

Ugh that dispatcher is a real piece of shit.

Fucking fuck that guy. I hope society doesn't have deal with his services anymore. Holy shit. Makes me think the dispatchers should have a "co-pilot".

"911 I need some fucking help!"

"call back when you have some manners you piece of shit" *hangs up*

Sadly, this is not the first time this happened, nor is is the most horrible story.

Anyone remember the cop that hung up on her for swearing ON HOLD and then when she actually RAN to the police station, he arrested her? Or at least held her or something?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Should the dispatcher face criminal charges? I think the dispatcher should face criminal charges.

Should he? Yes.

Will he? Who knows. He probably couldn't be charge with anything serious, unless they could prove the kid would have survived with his help.

I doubt the family will get any justice in criminal courts, but they will probably have a very quick and hefty settlement in civil court.

Any New Mexico GAFers know how the law in your state works? Are there any legal repercussions?

Memory

At least he dispatched an ambulance before he hung up so he's not a complete monster. Still he certainty needs to lose his job as he is not cut out for it and he is a scum bag.

CTLance

Yikes. Was the dispatcher on drugs or something? What the fuck. What a terrible thing to do.

Also wtf at the random shooting, but I guess that's kinda-sorta normal over in the US?

It means he's been taken off calls until they can complete their investigation. Regardless of how obviously open and shut it is, they still need to go through proper channels to handle it. It doesn't mean he's walking away free or anything.

This. There is a process. He'll get fired or resign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom