• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

911 Dispatcher hangs up on woman helping Gun-Shot victim after she swore at him

Status
Not open for further replies.

USC-fan

Banned
You guys don't understand the control the union has. It what ties their hands and why she was likely reassigned.

The police unions have more power than the mayor in these cities.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Saw this and yeah, it's pretty poor. You can't have that kind of attitude and be working at a call center, especially something like 911. As shitty as it is, I can kind of understand his mentality, it's probably really stressful to work there. That kind of environment, and you get some hot headed people that will say things that will ultimately get the best of you sometimes.

Obviously he did not see a future in this position.

CTLance

I dispatch for a smaller town (pop. 250,000) and we have several a month.
First, thank you for your work. Much appreciated.

Second, no offense, but posts like that make me glad I live in good old boring Germany. You guys are really living on the edge, huh.

(off topic, ignore)
Allow me to wave my flag and toot my horn for a bit:
Munich and surrounding area, crime statistic 2014
~1.5 million people
~530k calls to police emergency line
~7k personnel, mostly police officers (~1k are criminal investigation detectives and another ~1k are administration & misc)
~63% of all cases resolved to conclusion
~18k cases of the "severe" category (killing, sexual, heavy violence) (including 150 rape cases)

33 crimes involving intent to kill, half of them successful, only one unresolved (yet, they claim)
10 of those crimes involved knives, no guns at all, rest blunt or "other"

Guns (real ones or fake ones) were invoked in 50 cases. 38 shots were fired.
-25 intimidation
-18 robberies
-15 destruction of property
-8 assault occasioning actual/grievous bodily harm
-6 violation of gun control laws
(a case may involve several of the above)

Police officers made use of their guns on four occasions, resulting in four injured persons in total.

(src, in German)
News from America always make me appreciate what a safe and happy life I'm living.

First, thank you for your work. Much appreciated.

Second, no offense, but posts like that make me glad I live in good old boring Germany. You guys are really living on the edge, huh.

(off topic, ignore)
Allow me to wave my flag and toot my horn for a bit:
Munich and surrounding area, crime statistic 2014
~1.5 million people
~530k calls to police emergency line
~7k personnel, mostly police officers (~1k are criminal investigation detectives and another ~1k are administration & misc)
~63% of all cases resolved to conclusion
~18k cases of the "severe" category (killing, sexual, heavy violence) (including 150 rape cases)

33 crimes involving intent to kill, half of them successful, only one unresolved (yet, they claim)
10 of those crimes involved knives, no guns at all, rest blunt or "other"

Guns (real ones or fake ones) were invoked in 50 cases. 38 shots were fired.
-25 intimidation
-18 robberies
-15 destruction of property
-8 assault occasioning actual/grievous bodily harm
-6 violation of gun control laws
(a case may involve several of the above)

Police officers made use of their guns on four occasions, resulting in four injured persons in total.

(src, in German)
News from America always make me appreciate what a safe and happy life I'm living.
Yeah... People function just fine generally and are perfectly comfortable/safe feeling going out in public.

Ayt

Banned
Saw this and yeah, it's pretty poor. You can't have that kind of attitude and be working at a call center, especially something like 911. As shitty as it is, I can kind of understand his mentality, it's probably really stressful to work there. That kind of environment, and you get some hot headed people that will say things that will ultimately get the best of you sometimes.

Obviously he did not see a future in this position.

What is understandable about it? Do you think you'd be perfectly calm if your friend was shot out of nowhere and was dying in front of you? What kind of pathetic idiot can't handle some cursing in a situation like that?

slit

Reassigned pending investigation. This isn't the final disposition. Government entities will follow a specific process and timeline no matter outside outrage on swiftness of action.

Well that's ashame because I'd like my foot to find his ass with swiftness.

Downhome

This is insanity.

My wife used to work for a home warranty call center and she wasn't allowed to hang up on anyone even if they were cussing her out and calling her names over a broken AC.

What in the world was this guy thinking? He should absolutely be fired and have criminal charges brought against him.

Apt101

I imagine the family would have a good chance winning a civil case over this. Hurt the man financially if nothing else.

Don't people go into that job knowing people will be highly stressed out? His reaction seems like he walked in off the street and took on the job like a telemarketer.

Aske

These threads never usually get to me, but literally everything about this story is upsetting. America is terrifying.

diamount

Banned
Don't they send cops on the way regardless? Like you could call them and wake and they send cops your way anyway.

Cops are always called to incidents involving injuries, but the dispatcher terminated the call before taking any such details from her.

Some of you act like the dispatcher shot the guy....manslaughter someone typed up? Wow.

I don't believe he should be charged with manslaughter, just gross negligence and misconduct.

Some of you act like the dispatcher shot the guy....manslaughter someone typed up? Wow.

It's the dispatcher's job to stay on the line and offer as much advice as possible. It's possible (though unknowable) that the dispatcher could have provided some advice that would have helped the victim stay alive longer.

Christopher

It's the dispatcher's job to stay on the line and offer as much advice as possible. It's possible (though unknowable) that the dispatcher could have provided some advice that would have helped the victim stay alive longer.

The dispatchers lack of professionalism and accountability should be reprimanded or terminated. I'm not going to entertain the magic advice he would have offered would have saved this persons life if he can't even bear through insults.

diamount

Banned

How does that justify a manslaughter charge, though? Unless there was someone within reach to perform emergency surgery, then it is unlikely the guy could of been saved. That is just a fact of life with bullet wounds.

The dispatchers lack of professionalism and accountability should be reprimanded or terminated. I'm not going to entertain the magic advice he would have offered would have saved this persons life if he can't even bear through insults.

Right. It's impossible to definitely say he cost the man his life, but he still didn't do enough. He's the one who signed up to have other peoples' lives in his hands.

How does that justify a manslaughter charge, though? Unless there was someone within reach to perform emergency surgery, then it is unlikely the guy could of been saved. That is just a fact of life with bullet wounds.

Sorry, I'm not saying it justifies manslaughter. I'm saying it explains why people feel they way they do, and why they'd exaggerate their personal classification to manslaughter. This is an emotional subject for people.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes, because teenagers who are watching their friend die are going to remain completely calm.

Fuck that guy. The other parts of the call are so depressing. She was trying so hard.

Even adults wouldn't be rational on an emergency call if you keep asking them "is the person breathing" and they already responded "they're barely breathing." Panic would throw calmness out the window, which is why most people aren't built for being an emergency operator, because they have to calm the panicking person down.

I'm wondering why the operator didn't send an ambulance as soon as he heard the person was shot. That should've been the first thing along with the police being notified as a sort of rapid response thing, IMO. After that, you try to make sure the person shot is stable.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
What is understandable about it? Do you think you'd be perfectly calm if your friend was shot out of nowhere and was dying in front of you? What kind of pathetic idiot can't handle some cursing in a situation like that?

The reason I can understand it is because I have angry people once in a while who will berate me because of their own frustration, and compounding this on top of a slew of bad calls, It's hard to be a verbal punching bag, take that shit, and then move onto the next call in such a state. Granted, that's exactly what we normally do, I don't really have any authority to hang up purposely on someone as he blatantly did.

It doesn't excuse how he handled the call, but at the same time I can understand his mindset. He should not be working there at all. At the same time, there shouldn't come to the point where it's acceptable to insult people over the phone, please show some respect, it goes a long way.

The reason I can understand it is because I have angry people once in a while who will berate me because of their own frustration, and compounding this on top of a slew of bad calls, It's hard to be a verbal punching bag, take that shit, and then move onto the next call in such a state. Granted, that's exactly what we normally do, I don't really have any authority to hang up purposely on someone as he blatantly did.

It doesn't excuse how he handled the call, but at the same time I can understand his mindset. He should not be working there at all. At the same time, there shouldn't come to the point where it's acceptable to insult people over the phone, please show some respect, it goes a long way.
first off, you (not you, but anyone in the said scenario) need to learn to not take it personally. second, I too can understand the dispatcher's frustration, but I don't understand him letting his frustration get to him when there was a fucking emergency at hand.

If you can't take this kind of stuff, don't be a 911 dispatcher, it's as simple as that. People shouldn't die because someone else got their feelings hurt by mean words.
A 911 dispatcher isn't a fucking customer service rep or a cashier.

Xe4

Banned
That kid actually went to a school pretty close to me, and I have friends who knew him (I never met him personally), so this pissed off a great number of people around me, considering he wasn't even fired. It sucks, and I have no idea if this is a problem within Albuquerque fire department, but if it is, it needs to stop.

frontovik

Banned
A despicable display of unprofessional conduct.

Dispatchers are typically trained to handle extremely stressful situation, the moron should be fired instead of getting reassigned.

That kid actually went to a school pretty close to me, and I have friends who knew him (I never met him personally), so this pissed off a great number of people around me, considering he wasn't even fired. It sucks, and I have no idea if this is a problem within Albuquerque fire department, but if it is, it needs to stop.
that is a pretty big deal. make your voices heard, man.

Replicant

If you want to get up your high horse, you may want to seek a profession where you don't have to deal panicking client facing a life/death situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom