• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

911 Dispatcher hangs up on woman helping Gun-Shot victim after she swore at him

Status
Not open for further replies.

CronoShot

The guy should absolutely be fired, but I dunno about criminal charges. EMTs were dispatched, so it's likely the kid wouldn't have made it even if he had stayed with her.

Still, piece of shit human being.

Slavik81

Absolutely fucking despicable.

I hope that man is put in jail for the rest of his life.
It costs a little under $50,000 per year to keep a person in jail, or about as much as the schooling for 4 children. He looks young, so he'd probably be there for quite a long time. If he lives another 50 years, that's $2.5 million dollars. Or, measuring in school children, about enough for the complete K-12 education of 15 kids.

Just saying. Revenge is expensive compared to making the world a better place.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Any other job, I'd side with the dispatcher. You want fries with that? You want to return this stereo... And you swear at me? Get bent.

But 911 dispatchers should know and expect that people are in the worst condition of their life, and if they take it personal, they're doing it wrong.

Not trying to make light of the tragedy but it reminds me of the time when Bart becomes Burns' heir.

Marge [to Chief Wiggum]: I'm very concerned. Mr. Burns has stolen our son and he won't give him back!

Chief Wiggum: Oh, for gosh g... can't you people solve these problems yourselves? I mean, we can't be, er, "policing" the whole city.

Garlador

Some jobs simply don't permit you to have a "bad day".

A job requiring you to stay on the line with a girl trying to stop her friend from bleeding to death is one of those jobs.

Aren't dispatchers trained to ya know deal with panicky, shocked, freaked out and otherwise 'excited' people? Dude is freaking terrible.

Gonzalez

Banned
Aren't dispatchers trained to ya know deal with panicky, shocked, freaked out and otherwise 'excited' people? Dude is freaking terrible.
It's because Millennials are way too sensitive, and can't take a little pressure in the work place. I guarantee that this wouldn't have happened 25 years ago.

surely everyone who calls 911 is irrate and in a state of panic, so in every call people could an perhaps will be agitated and or swearing demanding help come sooner? if you can't handle that you shouldn't be on the phone - this man has now contributed to a death because he couldn't handle a woman being annoyed by repeating herself

its indefensible

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
surely everyone who calls 911 is irrate and in a state of panic, so in every call people could an perhaps will be agitated and or swearing demanding help come sooner? if you can't handle that you shouldn't be on the phone - this man has now contributed to a death because he couldn't handle a woman being annoyed by repeating herself

its indefensible

Not that in any way excuses his behavior, but we don't know that. We don't know know in what condition this kid was in. He might have been able to help, but depending on where the kid was shot (we don't even know if he was hit once or multiple times), it's possible that nothing could have been done for him.

I don't know about other states, but in order to prove criminal negligence you'd have to prove the kid would be alive had the operator stayed on the line, and given the grievousness of the injuries that seems unlikely. Manslaughter doesn't even belong in the discussion, and you'd be hard pressed to fill a call center if your prospective employees found out a bad call could potentially result in six years of hard prison. Turnover is already high and forced overtime is what keeps these places functioning.

Fucking hell; why the fuck are America's emergency services so lenient when it comes to cunts not doing their job properly? If it isn't police officers shooting innocent people, it's a dispatch operator hanging up on somebody because they're hysterical.

These are jobs that should be filled only by the very best. Fuck-ups of this magnitude should be instant dismissals, without fail.

All the dispatcher has to do is get location info and pass it on.

Pretty much. "You had one job" sort of thing. If someone has a big ego and can't handle the natural and expected human behaviours in stressfull situations from behind a phone then they shouldn't even take the job in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom