• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A black man went undercover online as a white supremacist. This is what he learned

You can not be properly educated and racist. That is like saying I understand math but I believe 1+1=3.
Of course they can. If that were true there would be no successful racists.

All it means is that they're not properly educated on issues of race. Being ignorant of one subject and things related to it doesn't mean you're an idiot about everything else too.

I've seen racists from all social and economic backgrounds. And I've seen kind loving people from the same backgrounds.

I've seen "dumb" people with the kindness and heart of saints and the smartest meanest bigots.

Breakage

YNO8N.gif

That and in this competitive world people love feeling superior to others.

This is such a core part of the problem.

Judgmental, hyper-critical assholes have been empowered to unprecedented levels in a nation where "Fuck you I got mine" and "It's not enough that I succeed, others must fail" are becoming the dominant mantras.

Troll culture that derives pleasure from spreading hate and depression, uptight communities where fear and profiling are cornerstones, each generation becoming more antisocial and less loving than the last...

Until "treat others as you want to be treated" gains traction and "succeed at any cost, control as much as possible" falls by the wayside, we'll be heading towards ruin.

Ponn

Banned
Racist & Bigots are the biggest snowflakes, complete with all the alternative facts they can use to make themselves feel better about themselves, reality be damned.

In the last two days I have seen a couple blonde white women (some fox and friends person and a lady from Duck Dynasty on CNN) literally start blubbering on TV about this past couple weeks. The thing about their fake crying is its not about the state of racism or the position minorities are in with racism, the hate and systematic racism they themselves participate in by voting the way they do. No, they were both blubbering because they wanted the attention, they wanted to be seen as victims "I feel like anything I say will make me seem like a racist" "Seeing these people out there representing conservatives disturbs me" , "they don't represent the values of Jesus". None of these people, even the very fine ones, even the #notallofus republicans/trump supporters, NONE of them ever have any contribution or anything to say about actually doing something about racism. Its always about the perception in relation to themselves and the party they are associated with. It always comes back to being more concerned with being called a racist then their actual actions.

WarLox

This is probably the first thread I purposely didn't read and went straight to reply. The thread title upset me so much that I can't read the OP. I read this as "man touch hot stove and this is what he learned...".

I don't care about what a white supremacist thinks, i dont care what they believe, and i dont care about how they feel. If it was up to me, white supremacists would go on a registry just like pedophiles.

The only thing we need to know about white supremacists is who they are and how to avoid them.

Sorry if this off topic, Im refusing to read the OP because its so disgusting to me as a person of color.

jstripes

Banned
Isn't the whole point of the alt right that they aren't racist or homophobic?

The alt-right is like the regular right, but with 80% less religious fundamentalism (atheist friendly), a heaping dose of internet savvy, memes everywhere, and a dash of edgelord. Aside from that, they're basically the same.

This problem of people being locked into their own echo chambers (as I type from my own) is a problem we will have to face at some point if we want to fix a lot of these problems.

Tech giants need to start taking responsibility. It is FAR more damaging than fake news.

Edit I see the thread is taking its typical path. Even if you dont like the part about understanding racists, you should still watch the video. There are other ideas there worth discussing.

Laiza

That there are still people who think black people are not fully human and that we are lagging in terms of evolution. The comments I'd read about our facial features being monkey-like and dark skin being proof of primitiveness were shocking. The fact is that there are people who believe that the difference between us is the difference between two species, not a race.
This reminds me of that FaceApp ethnicity filter. I wonder how many of these people saw those filters and realized just how close we are to each other?

I want those filters back, man. That was good shit.

blakep267

Didn't need to go undercover to discover all that.
Yeah I mean you can easily browse Yahoo or YouTube comments on literally any topic and find the same stuff

This is like a South Park episode where Cartman goes undercover to discover something that's painfully obvious and easy to find
" as I entrenched myself deeper into the culture, I began to realize that they were in fact, stupid"

Most racists are scum and pretty stupid. The thing that cracks me, is that they think they are enlightened and shit. Lol.

I read a YouTube comment that said Spain conquered the Mayans and Aztecs with only 100 men and no casualties. Obviously, the one who commented that, was posting "whites are superior" stuff beforehand.

Derwind

In the last two days I have seen a couple blonde white women (some fox and friends person and a lady from Duck Dynasty on CNN) literally start blubbering on TV about this past couple weeks. The thing about their fake crying is its not about the state of racism or the position minorities are in with racism, the hate and systematic racism they themselves participate in by voting the way they do. No, they were both blubbering because they wanted the attention, they wanted to be seen as victims "I feel like anything I say will make me seem like a racist" "Seeing these people out there representing conservatives disturbs me" , "they don't represent the values of Jesus". None of these people, even the very fine ones, even the #notallofus republicans/trump supporters, NONE of them ever have any contribution or anything to say about actually doing something about racism. Its always about the perception in relation to themselves and the party they are associated with. It always comes back to being more concerned with being called a racist then their actual actions.

This, its that need for someone to want to feel like the real victim to deflect from their truly shitty political & social beliefs. Its always rich when you have TV personalities whom built their career on generalizing & demonizing other human beings bring confronted with the feeling of being generalized & demonized.

Also...

I know of at least one of the clips your talking about.

Loads of lost cause rhetoric in this thread when you can also find stories like Daryl Davis' out there. Not everyone who falls into the trap is lost forever.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...cidental-courtesy_us_585c250de4b0de3a08f495fc

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ce-persuade-chicago-daryl-davis-a7489596.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/meet-the-black-blues-musician-who-befriended-the-kkk

Daryl Davis, an accomplished keyboardist who has worked with Chuck Berry and Little Richard, has quite the side interest.

For the past few decades the black musician, actor and author has made it his mission to befriend people in hate groups like the Klu Klux Klan by calmly confronting them with the question:

“How can you hate me if you don’t even know me?”

His quest is the subject of the new documentary “Accidental Courtesy,” directed by Matt Ornstein and released on Dec. 9.

Though Davis’ approach may seem dangerous, he has explained his logic.

“The most important thing I learned is that when you are actively learning about someone else you are passively teaching them about yourself,” Davis explained in explained to the podcast Love+Radio via The Atlantic.

He added:

“Give them a platform. You challenge them. But you don’t challenge them rudely or violently. You do it politely and intelligently. And when you do things that way chances are they will reciprocate and give you a platform.”

In 1983, after Davis played a gig in an all-white venue in Frederick, Maryland, an audience member approached him to compliment him on his piano playing. The two struck up a friendly conversation, and Davis was surprised to discover the man was a card-carrying member of the KKK. Through this man, Davis got in touch with Roger Kelly, the former Imperial Wizard of the white supremacist organization. Over time, Kelly and Davis became close and Kelly eventually quit the hate group.

“He no longer believes today what he said,” Davis told Love+Radio. “And when he quit the Klan he gave me his robe and hood, which is the robe of the Imperial Wizard.”

Davis says that 12 other Klansmen followed suit.

Slayven

I don't like people throwing up Daryl Davis every time this discussion happens. Cause minorities have enough on their plate without advocating for their humanity door to door. It would be way more effective if folks started calling out their racist uncles, mothers, grandmothers, cousins, etc.

I don't like people throwing up Daryl Davis every time this discussion happens. Cause minorities have enough on their plate without advocating for their humanity door to door. It would be way more effective if folks started calling out their racist uncles, mothers, grandmothers, cousins, etc.

His story works best when viewed as a local one though. These people aren't unsalvageable like some people in this thread are suggesting but that work needs to happen from the bottom up, like you say.

I hate this narrative because it's almost like the onus is on the lovable Black person to see past the fact that dudes want to see him and his family forceably removed from America (fataly if required) for a White ethno-state to love past their bigotry and hatred to change their hearts.

Fuck that. I can't be their magical negro.

His story works best when viewed as a local one though. These people aren't unsalvageable like some people in this thread are suggesting but that work needs to happen from the bottom up, like you say.

Problem is I see these dumb fucking memes like that's the way Black people should deal with things instead of movements like BLM. On each again the onus is on us to convince motherfuckers we are human beings.

Sometimes I wish this dude never made the news. Non-black people severely underestimate the time, risk, and energy required to sit down and talk with ONE racist, let alone hundreds.

BTW his story is exceptional but replace him with a white dude in a generic scenario. Point is, if he can change these people someone with way better initial inroads can too. Violence and aggression (and let's be honest most antifa are white) are not the only option.

Derwind

I hate this narrative because it's almost like the onus is on the lovable Black person to see past the fact that dudes want to see him and his family forceably removed from America (fataly if required) for a White ethno-state to love past their bigotry and hatred to change their hearts.

Fuck that. I can't be their magical negro.

Agreed, at the end of the day they're either terrorists or terrorist apologists, it just so happens these bigots hate is directed at minorities for the most part.

The people that need to do the work to educate these assholes are those closest to them. The onus is not on the victims to change the behaviour of the abusers.

Nothing new. Racists and bigots are extremely stupid by their very nature. No amount of scientific progress will completely eliminate racism. A thousand years from now we may have faster than light travel, have human colonies on exo-planets, and still have racist bigots that think that black people are subhuman and gays should be murdered. There is no limit to human stupidity. Stupid people need bigotry to feel that their miserable lives are worth living.

Honestly, in general, people break shit off with their family before they give the beliefs up.

Who said that?

I probably shouldn't have said violence since that's a separate but connected topic. But when it comes to approach, Davis' methods work just as well (probably better) if you are indeed already part of the targets circle (family and friends). Aggressively chastising and doing all-or-nothing disownments, and other suggested verbal tactics, only feeds into the problem rather than solve it.

Honestly, in general, people break shit off with their family before they give the beliefs up.

I think if a random black dude can unconvert KKK members, the non-racist friends or family of alt-righters can do the same with much less risk involved.

Buckle

Feels like its way past the day and age where you should have to win hearts and minds on this.

We should know better by now. People who practice and preach racist beliefs should be made an example of more often.

Getting kind of tired of being tolerant of intolerance at this point in my life. I don't want to be their buddy, I don't want to be their friend. I shouldn't have to sit down and teach basic human empathy to anybody.

III-V

so tired of the idiocy and the bullshit and the anti-intellectual movement underfoot. These two-bit mind-sharts are a major problem in America, and I do think it is a consequence of the continual undermining of the education system in the US from the right.

jaxpunk

and that goes a long way into why the shit continues. People will let shit slide because it is what a person close to them believes and to call that belief out is to call that person out.

And then what? My dad says racist shit all the time. We've all told him to cut the shit, he doesn't. Am I supposed to punch him in the face and call him a nazi? He's still my father...

The Mule

That there are still people who think black people are not fully human and that we are lagging in terms of evolution. The comments I'd read about our facial features being monkey-like and dark skin being proof of primitiveness were shocking.
The premise is, of course, completely ridiculous, but if we pretend for a moment that it's true it's still completely fucked that they think people "inferior" to them don't deserve to be treated with respect and empathy.

I'm reminded of a quote from Star Trek IV.

My compassion for someone is not limited to my estimate of their intelligence.
This all just further confirms that these racist people are sociopathic assholes.

Of course the comment section of the video linked is flooded with alt-right trolls speaking in barely coded language outright borrowed from Nazi Germany.

Buckle

And then what? My dad says racist shit all the time. We've all told him to cut the shit, he doesn't. Am I supposed to punch him in the face and call him a nazi? He's still my father...
My two brothers are scumbags, I don't want them in my life and actively avoid them.

Being family isn't a get out of a jail free card. But I understand how it can be different for some people and can't just emotionally shut people out like that. Myself, I'm not all that close to members of my family outside of my mother and one cousin. The rest burned too many bridges.

Slayven

Hell just saying "that shit is racist" is more then i expect. Maybe if they hear enough it might spark some introspection

Fuchsdh

Honestly the guy seems naive... We had humans walk on the moon, several nations send probes to the moon and even mars, have a space station showing 4K footage from space, and people still believe the earth is flat.

You don't need to go undercover, nor should you be surprised a new generation of nationalism has existed. If it isn't race, humans segregate themselves around religion, language, food, culture, hell even skin darkness even if you are the same 'race'.

Couple our tribalist nature with the increased echo chambers of communities that rarely get permeated by outside sources and you see how it forms.

More to the point, I think, you still have educated people and liberals practicing Reiki, buying Goop, and refusing to vaccinate their kids. Chiropractic care is still a thing. When the human mind wants to go along with something it'll play itself like a fiddle to do so. Even if you discarded phrenology there's still updated pseudoscience that's out there to tell you about how inferior nonwhites are, waiting to fall unto the fertile soil of a ready mind that wants to believe it.

Hell just saying "that shit is racist" is more then i expect. Maybe if they hear enough it might spark some introspection

At least with the few family-of-friends where this response is applicable, it really hasn't worked. I'm fortunate that I've never been put in that position with my immediate family (my grandmother was the one telling me about how she realized some of her near and dear friends were pretty racist recently) but I think at some point you have to go nuclear and threaten to cut them off from you or their grandkids to have much effect, at least in getting them to stop flippantly saying terrible stuff like that.

The premise is, of course, completely ridiculous, but if we pretend for a moment that it's true it's still completely fucked that they think people "inferior" to them don't deserve to be treated with respect and empathy.

I'm reminded of a quote from Star Trek IV.

This all just further confirms that these racist people are sociopathic assholes.

That's the weirdest part of his talk to me. Of course they think you're intellectually inferior, because if they buy into that everything else falls into place. I can't think of any racist position that would evolve independently from that idea, because it's how they can defend all their actions.

You honestly can't think of anything other than "punch him in the face and call him a nazi"

I think if a random black dude can unconvert KKK members, the non-racist friends or family of alt-righters can do the same with much less risk involved.

They don't, that's the problem. They're not shy about telling others to do it for them, though.

The Dink

Christ. The youtube comments aren't even trying to hide their racism anymore.

'Why should I be hated for what I cannot help but be?'

Your problems are none of our concern. We owe you nothing.

Alt right doesn't hate him. They want him to go back to his Homeland and for us to retake ours. Abraham Lincoln was alt right.

He went deep undercover into the alt/right and somehow never mentions the JQ.

Slayven

You honestly can't think of anything other than "punch him in the face and call him a nazi"

They don't, that's the problem. They're not shy about telling others to do it for them, though.

I don't like how that is becoming a thing Blacks + talk about racism = somebody getting punched.

Shit if that was a thing white america would have committed a second trail of tears, except black people would have been lead to an open grave

RRockman

Banned
Man I remember one time where I clicked the wrong Google search and ended up on a neo nazi fourm. It was bizzare just reading about what they talk about and what they believe in. I at one point wanted to do what they guy in the article did and spy on them, but I was young and had no proxy setup knowledge.

Dude Abides

Banned
BTW his story is exceptional but replace him with a white dude in a generic scenario. Point is, if he can change these people someone with way better initial inroads can too. Violence and aggression (and let's be honest most antifa are white) are not the only option.

Then get on that shit. Report back in a few months with all the racists you convert.

LifEndz

The NY Times does a daily podcast (titled the Daily) and they did a show this week or last where the host interviewed a man who grew up in a white supremacist household but has since abandoned that ideology. Really fascinating and downright heartbreaking to hear about people who grow up with this nonsense and still believe in erroneous science as a basis for whites being a "superior" race. Definitely worth a listen. He talked at length abou how white supremacists are now running for public office using many of the fundamental points of the KKK to appeal to white voters while keeping secret their affiliation with a white supremacists group such as the KKK.

Top Bottom