• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Brief Look at Portable Gaming in 2014

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
2014 is about a week away. Holy shit! With everyone's attention focused on the shiny new boxes under their TVs right now though, portables aren't getting much attention. So, I slapped together a list of some of the more interesting games that are only on portables in 2014. Note that this list is far from comprehensive, and that it doesn't include the myriad indie games that are on every single system ever (sorry, Vita.)

*List is in order of US release date

wg3h3f3.jpg

Title: Yumi's Odd Odyssey
Developer: Agatsuma Entertainment
Genre: Platformer
Platform: 3DS
Release: January 2014

Description:

Chances are that you haven't heard of this one. Yumi's Odd Odyssey is the US, eShop-only release of Sayonara, Umihara Kawase. Still not ringing a bell? Okay, well this is the sequel to a series of cult-classic platformers from the mid-'90s that has some of the most satisfying grappling hook mechanics of any game out there. And it's really goddamn difficult. It'll put hair on your chest! It's definitely one to look out for next year.

W7pYGS0.png
8xrgLgh.png
Ovvdm6R.png

D4NRdH0.jpg

Title: Bravely Default
Developer: Square-Enix
Genre: RPG
Release: February 7, 2014

Description:

This is the big one in Q1. Bravely Default has been lauded as a return to form for Square-Enix. The US release is based on the "For the Sequel" re-release in Japan, which makes a series of minor tweaks to the game. It also incorporates microtransactions, but despite best efforts, Square-Enix was unable to fuck the game up with them.

aPSVziO.jpg
Zgpb9xG.jpg
2OcrxnP.jpg

00UsAId.jpg

Title: Dangan Ronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Developer: Spike Chunsoft
Genre: Adventure/Visual Novel
Platform: Vita, PSP (Japan-only)
Release: February 11, 2014

Description:

Those who played the Japanese release have been pretty enthusiastic about this one. It's commonly described as "Phoenix Wright meets 999." Tough to argue with that.

51r-oOXW5UL.jpg
51T7Tst48aL.jpg
51dwARHHHuL.jpg

RS5SlV3.jpg

Title: Toukiden
Developer: Omega Force
Genre: 3rd Person Action/MonHun clone
Platform: Vita
Release: February 11, 2014

Description:

It's a monster hunting game, and the music is fucking awesome.

NznpRnX.jpg
UQHZ7i8.jpg
pdA2yzk.jpg

1YOD6zZ.jpg

Title: Ragnarock Odyssey ACE
Developer: GameArts
Release: February 18, 2014

Description:

This is an expanded version of the original RO, which was a monster hunting RPG that came out in 2012. People weren't super-jazzed about the original Ragnarok Odyssey, so there's not much reason to be terribly optimistic here. Still, it's something... kinda... sorta... :-/

ODVcisx.jpg
xla1vwD.jpg
lX9WBGi.jpg

AK7y994.jpg

Title: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
Developer: Square-Enix
Release: March 18, 2014

Description:

The long-awaited re-release of Final Fantasy X and X-2 is finally coming out. The games feature redone visuals, including higher resolution textures. Square also took the liberty of redoing the character models (generally poorly) and remixing the music (with varying success.) Will it actually be an improvement when all is said and done? Shit, I dunno. Square will be releasing both games as a package, however, only Final Fantasy X gets a physical copy. FFX-2 is included as a download code, which makes all the sense in the fucking world. The package is also available on the PS3, where both games will be included on the disc.

bJULY9d.jpg
GiSvgZW.jpg
tg1LLZ2.jpg

mVbLVhh.png

Title: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Developer: Wayforward, IntiCreates
Release: Q1 2014

Description:

The sequel to Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Finally. This is a really great series of platformers from some really capable developers. The game is planned to have a more Metroid-style map system this time around, but given how well WayForward handled that in their Aliens game, they'll probably have little problem pulling it off here. If you're into platformers, there's pretty much no chance this will disappoint (but no guarantees.)

sXNqftP.png
d3RoaOE.jpg
3Bc8oIG.jpg

EFF8ObO.jpg

Title: Treasurenauts
Developer: Renegade Kid
Genre: 2D Action/Adventure
Release: Q1 2014

Description:

The new game from the developers of Mutant Mudds, Treasurenauts is another 2D actioner where you plunder a bunch of random locales for treasure. And there's equipment and retro-styled graphics. Original! Ordinarily, I wouldn't give much of a shit about it, but Mutant Mudds was a well-made game, so I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. It's probably great.

HjakWWU.jpg
EilIKmp.jpg
yANBQxf.jpg

IeWwS54.png

Title: Metrico
Developer: Digital Dreams
Genre: Puzzle Platformer
Release: Q1/Q2 2014

Description:

The developers said not to call this a puzzle platformer, instead opting to refer to it as an "action puzzler," but they're not about to pull the wool over my fucking eyes. Anyway, the game is composed of infographics (meaning stuff that looks like Powerpoint presentations and Excel graphs) that you puzzle platform your way through. The game is said to use all of the Vita's various hardware functionality, and even though it looks pretentious as all get out, it's generated some pretty positive buzz.

GcCLZVH.jpg
tX1syaD.jpg
aiFRhkL.jpg

ethkTYM.jpg

Title: OlliOlli
Developer: Roll7
Genre: Sports... kinda? It's 2D Tony Hawk
Release: Early 2014

Description:

Basically Super Meat Boy meets Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, OlliOlli is a really promising Vita exclusive. The game clearly caters to fans of super high-skill 2D platformers, so hopefully the game will control as gracefully as its inspirations.

MrYJ3jk.jpg
BfSuvxf.jpg
3htcjE1.jpg

D03n3eB.jpg

Title: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars
Developer: Spike Chunsoft
Platform: 3DS, Vita
Release: April 8, 2014

Description:

In the world called Aterra where the Star God is worshipped, monsters have begun to spawn from the mysterious labyrinth. However, the Star God has imbued certain young adults--Disciples--with the power to fight monsters, as well as create Star Children to aid in the battle. Only Disciples and Star Children can defeat the monsters, and you, as God's Gift, have an additional weighty task: to bond with seven other Disciples and bear many Star Children to help your world survive!

Yeah, this is that game. You bang tsundere onesamas, collect the resulting kids, and make them fight in dungeons. It's been compared to Persona, and it's Spike Chunsoft, so it's probably not that bad, but man... this is pushing it.

mZ3JoOt.jpg
L8Erm0V.jpg
B2KHFWa.jpg

TFbcKHB.jpg

Title: Demon Gaze
Developer: Kadokawa Games
Release: April 22, 2014

Description:

This is a dungeon crawler. Boy is it ever! It's also the game with that notorious panty-sniffing picture that I'm not going to post in here, because we're too goddamn classy for that horse shit.

0HVHDgV.jpg
Q68NjtC.jpg
4egy7Om.jpg

m2bSg9r.jpg

Title: Yoshi's New Island
Developer: Nintendo
Release: Q2 2014

Description:

We still don't know too terribly much about this 3DS iteration of the Yoshi's Island series, but visually, it ain't there yet. The visuals smack of Yoshi's Story more than anything, but the dough-y art style isn't exactly hip in 2013. Still, the game hasn't been seen in quite a while, so it's possible they've spruced it up a bit. What little gameplay footage is out there reveals a game that looks to play exactly how you'd expect a Yoshi's Island game to play. The only new feature we've seen is Yoshi's ability to snarf up big enemies to create giant, terrain-destroying eggs. Hopefully, this one will turn out.

VkZreKT.jpg
yUfF0ez.jpg
SLSRBDo.jpg

hX9m3Lq.jpg

Title: Persona 4: Dancing All Night
Developer: Atlus
Genre: Rhythm
Release: Fall 2014 (Japan)

Description:

A completely unexpected spin-off of Persona 4, Dancing All Night is a rhythm game set during the events of Persona 4. That actually almost makes sense for this series.

EYwoKI4.jpg
FjbcQzr.jpg
Rayzvga.jpg

E7ItZSs.jpg

Title: Deception IV: Blood Ties
Developer: Tecmo
Genre: Murder Simulator
Release: 2014

Description:

The newest entry in the long-running Deception series, Deception IV looks to offer more of the same strategic gameplay. The series has you playing as some random babe, setting traps for enemies, and then watching them die in horrible ways. And it's awesome. The game is also planned for a Playstation 3 release.

anRjLp9.jpg
YmqdGsz.jpg
ort2w4n.jpg

0Ij7IFz.jpg

Title: Freedom Wars
Developer: SCE Japan
Genre: 3rd Person Action

Description:

Freedom Wars is set 10,000 years in the future, where humans live underground in an overpopulated society. Criminals are forced to fight monsters. Obviously. Game actually looks pretty rad, from what little we've seen of it. No US date has been announced yet, but it seems like a likely 2014 release.

1BsstjB.jpg
CDU7IBJ.jpg
v78r4Hy.jpg

Title: Gravity Rush 2
Developer: SCE Japan
Genre: Action/Adventure
Release: TBA

Description:

Gravity Rush was rad. What do we know about the sequel? Like, nothing. But the high-flying antics are sure to return, and Raven is still a total babe.

rK67Lls.jpg
Sw1jJzJ.jpg
p8NSWNe.jpg

PkpPjvP.jpg

Title: Kirby Triple Deluxe
Developer: HAL Laboratory
Release: 2014 (January 11, 2014 in Japan)

Description:

This is (based on Wikipedia) the thirteenth platformer in the Kirby series. This installment lets you jump between the foreground and background, a la the Virtual Boy Wario game. You also have 4 new powers. It looks significantly more interesting than the last few Kirby games, too, so please look forward to it.

ztnpd5S.jpg
FIOTPUK.jpg
rk6OpVe.jpg

l069e0m.jpg

Title: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter
Developer: Falcom
Platform: PSP

Description:

A couple years after releasing the first TitS in the US, in all of its cliffhanger-y glory, XSEED finally announced that they'd be bringing the massive second chapter of the story to the US in 2014. The game will be released digitally for the PSP (ie: playable on Vita) and on the PC. It's worth noting, though, that the game will look significantly better on PC.

Q9LmURU.jpg
ZxEc9is.jpg
RwuKNCU.jpg

DKCPz1w.jpg

Title: Mario Golf: World Tour
Developer: Camelot
Genre: Sports

Description:

It's Mario Golf. You play golf. Camelot always does a good job with these games, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be fun. Online golf tournaments are confirmed.

BaHwhOl.jpg
HCDrhmA.jpg
r1BkObL.jpg

4GNmaP2.png

Title: Monster Hunter 4
Developer: Capcom
Genre: Monster Hunter

Description:

I'm actually not sure if it's been officially announced for the US yet, but we know this one is coming. In either case, this is Monster Hunter. It's bigger, badder, and has more visually arresting aesthetics. Series fans will inevitably drool with sadistic glee, while MonHun neophytes will doubtlessly be crushed by the hours of learning ahead of them. A portion of your proceeds (100%) will be donated to Capcom's mobile gaming division. Is that the same as funding terrorism? You decide!

eSJxgRW.jpg
KrVmNy7.jpg
usbdbRt.jpg

vdii2Ef.jpg

Title: Murasaki Baby
Developer: Ovosonico
Genre: Puzzle Platformer

Description:

Brought to you by Massimo Guarini, who previously worked on games like Killer7 and No More Heroes, Murasaki Baby is a puzzle platformer that takes advantage of the Vita's functionality. The artstyle is fairly unique... though that main character is really unappealing. Whatever. The game is probably pretty good. Look for it on PSN.

friKMnF.jpg
ZGiLiGc.jpg
paiEq3M.jpg

E47Vhgp.jpg

Title: Over My Dead Body 2 (Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke 2)
Developer: Alfa System
Release: TBA (Q3 2014 in Japan)

Description:

The sequel to a Japan-only PS1 game from 1999, Over My Dead Body 2 has one of the most appealing art styles of any game slated for 2014. Just look at the thing! Nothing's been said about a US release yet, though there have been some positive rumblings coming from Yoshida's corner, and Tom from XSEED is probably chomping at the bit to get this one localized, so chances of it coming out in the States are probably decent.

7joSsCz.jpg
8DHU6QE.jpg
IVrSlv9.jpg

FqgfyS8.jpg

Title: Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

Description:

Persona Q is a dungeon crawler spin-off featuring chibi versions of the Persona 3 and 4 casts. The game is takes the gameplay elements of the Etrian Odyssey series, and infuse them with Persona's personality. Sounds like a win-win.

kjlrlnv.jpg

5k2ztjb.jpg

Title: Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
Developer: Level-5, Capcom
Genre: Adventure/Puzzle

Description:

The Layton and Phoenix Wright mashup is finally coming stateside in 2014. Layton does the investigating, Phoenix Wright does the lawyering. Radical. Impressions of the game were somewhat mixed upon the Japanese release, with some players digging the mashup of gameplay styles, and others lamenting the absence of fan favorite characters from both series.

6yLnnY8.jpg
A2reY8k.jpg
lM9JI5w.jpg

BQOsXJw.jpg

Title: Puyo Puyo Tetris
Developer: Sega
Genre: Puzzle
Platform: Vita, PS3, WiiU
Release: 2014 (Japan only)

Description:

There are literally (and I mean literally, not figuratively) a trillion Puyo Puyo games out there. This is the first one to try something cool in decades. One dude plays Puyo Puyo while the other plays Tetris, but only one dude can win. Will it be you?! No, it will be me. The game is currently only scheduled for a Japanese release, but since the Vita is region free, importing isn't a problem. And, being a puzzle game, the language barrier is nonexistent. Note that the game is also coming to the PS3 and WiiU.

gxavYQm.jpg
tUeLtGr.jpg
aaf8aFN.jpg

cVAtNI6.jpg

Title: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Break Record
Genre: Strategy RPG

Description:

Just as the first Devil Survivor got an updated 3DS port a couple years back, the second installment will be getting its current gen due in 2014. The game hasn't been officially announced for a US release yet, but given that everything SMT comes stateside these days and that the Japanese version is out at the beginning of the year, this is a safe bet for 2014. The bulk of the updates to this version will come in the form of an expanded storyline and new characters.

TRg80k0.jpg
D6OjnPe.jpg
ExPz1Wr.jpg

igAWbPc.jpg

Title: Soul Sacrifice Delta
Developer: Comcept
Genre: Action RPG
Release: TBA (March, 2014 in Japan)

Description:

Soul Sacrifice Delta is a follow-up to the original that adds in a new faction, several new monsters, and a greater emphasis on cooperative gameplay. The game draws inspiration from Grimm's fairy tales this time around, which seems like perfect fodder for the grotesque enemy designs the series is known for. The first game was solid, so this one's a safe bet for Vita owners.

cuiEbJ6.jpg
Y6m4FMX.jpg
Iml6RD9.jpg

dQGXAyn.jpg

Title: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Working title, obvi)
Developer: Nintendo, Namco
Genre: Fighting

Description:

It's Smash! On your 3DS! We don't know much about the game yet, but Nintendo has confirmed that it will be a different game than the WiiU title getting released, and that as a result of the differing content, there will not be cross-platform play. Bummer. Still... it's Smash! On your 3DS! And there's Mega Man.

bQrZOBa.jpg
W9Xcgq9.jpg
HVD0YgU.jpg

Gamerloid

Not bad. I'll be very busy with my 3DS lol. Glad I have both handhelds, because now I can enter these threads and know I can pick up whatever I want that interest me here!

I use to have a Umihara Kawase game that I imported that was only released on the Super Famicom. It was pretty good and there was a remake of it on the DS which I also enjoyed. Good to see it finally making its way to the US.

JordanN

Banned
Mon Hon clones and platformers, yikes. Hopefully there's more than that next year.

Smash and Kirby interest me but there's nothing on Vita for me.

Tuck

3DS had an amazing year in 2013, hope next year is good too, but so far theres only two games that look good (Kirby and Smash)

dkoy

Mon Hon clones and platformers, yikes. Hopefully there's more than that next year.

Danganronpa and some dungeon crawlers. so yes there is more than mon hun clones and platformers next year.

Shaffield

looks pretty sweet so far, and surely there's more announcements to come. super pumped for Persona Q and Bravely Default.
oh, and don't forget about Shovel Knight yo!

edit: oh yeah, and there's a fair chance that Theathrythm: Curtain Call might come to the west next year, right?

I'm really excited for the handheld games that 2014 will bring, especially those in February. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, Bravely Default, Danganronpa, and Toukiden are all D1Ps for me. Toukiden Vita has online multiplayer so that'll hold me over until we get Monster Hunter 4.

ampere

damn I didn't know that 3DS smash was going to be a different game with no cross play...

Yeah, I was under the impression that the Wii U roster was being limited due to 3DS cart size limitations. Is this no longer the case or is the roster still the same?

Many questions

Busaiku

A lot of those are dungeon crawlers.
Bravely Default is a more traditional Final Fantasy title too.

vall03

Uh, are the release dates for Conception II and Demon Gaze final? I don't remember any announcements, or maybe just placeholder dates?

Anyway, really excited for 3DS and Vita releases next year. Hopefully, we also get New Atelier Rorona, despite how bad Tecmo Koei handles the series, they're still localizing them, can't complain about that.

ThisOne

Not really excited for many portable games yet. I think the one I'm looking forward to most is actually OlliOlli on the Vita. Hope it gets released soon.

terrisus

3DS to be the top platform of 2014, just as it has been for 2013.

Handhelds have really been the only worthwhile platform for nearly a decade now.

Shinta

Banned
More than I expected on the way. I want almost all of those. Still not even everything on the way either.

Hyper Light Drifter (Vita)
Olli Olli (Vita)
Final Fantasy X / X-2 (Vita)
Counterspy (Vita)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
LMAO XD

Also, where's Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD? That's the biggest one I'm interested in for Vita.

It's on consoles too, so I dropped it to focus on what's only on portables. I might add some of the bigger multiplat games to the list soonish, though... if only to make the Vita look like more than Monster Hunter clones...

Hey, what bout Freedom Wars? Oh and I thought Daganropa was a vita exclusive. Unless I missed the news it was coming to ps3 as well.

Phatmac

I absolutely love Ace Attorney and 999 so I guess I'll have to get a Vita for Danganonpa. Haven't heard much about it but I'm pretty excited for it.

Shengar

Conception II gameplay looks interesting. But the other elements of that game. I know there isn't a single banging happened, but still
0562_jkkjp.gif

Muzy72

Banned
Actually, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is the final name.

2014 is looking pretty meh outside Bravely Default, Kirby 3D, and Smash. Hopefully Nintendo announces some cool 3DS titles for the second half of the year. My poor Vita seems like it'll be collecting dust till Gravity Rush 2 comes out.

Shinta

Banned
Dead Nation (Vita)

Should be coming out in 2014. Been waiting a long time for that shit. They need to get on with it already.

Yeah, I was under the impression that the Wii U roster was being limited due to 3DS cart size limitations. Is this no longer the case or is the roster still the same?

Many questions

think the roster is the same, for now but i know the stages are different

handheld game specific stages for the 3DS version

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Lotsa rpgs... not that I don't like the occasional ones, but shit we need some more genres represented.

Oh neat, Umihara Kawase. Didn't even know that was a thing. I played that on SFC back in the day and thought it had excellent physics.

Bravely Default
Kirby
Smash Bros
MH4
Mario Golf

These are my must buys.

Some Nobody

Lotsa rpgs... not that I don't like the occasional ones, but shit we need some more genres represented.

Well, it's mostly Japanese games, so yeah a lot of RPGs are expected, especially since they don't exist on consoles in particuarly large quantities anymore.

VanWinkle

You should add these. Three great looking games that are Vita exclusive.

Murasaki Baby
MIB_Screenshot_002_1377024581.jpg

OlliOlli
pHUIidm.png

TxK
txk_15.png

And two games that are only coming to Vita and PS3 or PS4:

Velocity 2x:
VDEV004-20130819-0173-1.png

Switch Galaxy Ultra:
iPhy3YwzOJNEp.jpg

Drago

Handheld gaming <3

2014 is looking like a fantastic year for both 3DS and Vita. Gonna be good times all around. Most excited for Danganronpa, Kirby TD, Smash 3DS, Bravely Default, Layton vs Wright, and Puyo Puyo Tetris. And I'm definitely forgetting a lot here, lol.

Ansatz

That's a pretty meh lineup so I'll try to predict some announcements.

- Pokemon Z
- Sidescrolling polygon Metroid
- Rhythm Heaven
- Majora's Mask 3D
- 3DSi

Yeah, it's going to be a great year for both systems. Handhelds are the best. Deception IV: Blood Ties has also been confirmed for the US/Europe. Really lookin' forward to that~

CGID0Uf.jpg

80% of those titles seem a little pervy

The only game in the OP that even comes close is Conception II.

We need more

Top Bottom