• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Brief Look at Portable Gaming in 2014

Looking at the two Persona cash-in games, it'll be pretty disappointing if Atlus falls into a similar rut with Persona 3 and 4 that Square sort of has with Final Fantasy VII.

Drago

edit: oh yeah, and there's a fair chance that Theathrythm: Curtain Call might come to the west next year, right?
I really hope so. I LOVED the first one and would buy Curtain Call the moment it comes out.

How did the original do sales wise here? I don't think numbers were that bad iirc but I dunno for sure. I'd take a digital only release if I must
I'd probably buy it digitally anyways

Shinta

Banned
Yeah, it's going to be a great year for both systems. Handhelds are the best. Deception IV: Blood Ties has also been confirmed for the US/Europe. Really lookin' forward to that~

CGID0Uf.jpg
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I can't believe I forgot this is coming.

So pumped for this.

Steel

Banned
Looking at the two Persona cash-in games, it'll be pretty disappointing if Atlus falls into a similar rut with Persona 3 and 4 that Square sort of has with Final Fantasy VII.

To be precise, they've already made more spin offs related to 3 and 4 than Square has for VII.

That being said, we are getting persona 5 the same year.

Shaffield

I really hope so. I LOVED the first one and would buy Curtain Call the moment it comes out.

How did the original do sales wise here? I don't think numbers were that bad iirc but I dunno for sure. I'd take a digital only release if I must
I'd probably buy it digitally anyways

same here, one of the best rhythm games ever.
i haven't seen any official sales numbers or anything, but i think i recall it doing pretty well, and the DLC was very profitable too

Yes Boss!

Handhelds always get the most love from me. Xbox One and Ps4 are a bit stinky but should get good halfway through the year.

Don't forget that shmups are going to make a presence pretty early in 2014 with Karous and Radiligy!

Yeah, I was under the impression that the Wii U roster was being limited due to 3DS cart size limitations. Is this no longer the case or is the roster still the same?

Many questions

Roster is the same on both versions, but it was/is not being limited by card sizes.

cj_iwakura

Handhelds always get the most love from me. Xbox One and Ps4 are a bit stinky but should get good halfway through the year.

Don't forget that shmups are going to make a presence pretty early in 2014 with Karous and Radiligy!

Will someone finally localize Radilgy 2?

Laconic

Banned
So.

Bravely Default
Mario Golf
Persona Quetrian Oddessey
Yoshi
Kirby
Smash
A new Shantae
Yumi' grappling hook platformer
And... MH4

2014 is the new 2013?

Yes, yes it is.

Damn, I NEED that Danganronpa thing. Guess it's time to start looking for a cheap Vita... *sigh*

Is Soul Sacrifice Delta a whole new sequel? And here I was thinking it was just an expansion! Great!

Also, I'm pretty sure Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS IS the final title (pretty crappy if you ask me).

Ratrat

Damn, I NEED that Danganronpa thing. Guess it's time to start looking for a cheap Vita... *sigh*

Is Soul Sacrifice Delta a whole new sequel? And here I was thinking it was just an expansion! Great!

Also, I'm pretty sure Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS IS the final title (pretty crappy if you ask me).
It's an expansion type thing. Expect Soul Sacrifice 2 later.

Ever since Monster Hunter Freedom United every MonHun clone HAS to release an expansion.

Interested in

Vita:
-Gravity Rush 2
-Over my dead body 2
-Soul Sacrifice Delta
-Dangan Ronpa
-Freedom Wars
-Phantasy Star Nova
-Persona 4 dancing
-Borderlands 2

3DS:
-Bravery Default
-Majora's mask(there is noooo way this isn't coming)
-Mario Golf(if it has a RPG mode)
-Monster Hunter 4
-mayyyyybeee PersonaQ

2014 should be alright I guess

Takao

Banned
Looks like a weak 3DS year for me. The only things I have even a slight interest in are Bravely Default, and Kirby.

Vita's not too hot either, but there's some multiplats I'll play on it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, 2013 on the 3DS is the best year for handheld games in the west and its not even close.

Pretty much.

And to be fair, we didn't know about a lot of 2013 games until sometime in 2013. So if this is what we already know about 2014, that bodes pretty well. Never know when Ninty is gonna drop Super Metroid 2 on us.

Smash, Kirby, and Yoshi for me. I still say that Yoshi's Island DS is the best platformer on the system.

I may get Treasurenauts if it's more action than adventure. Mutant Mudds was a pleasant surprise.

fizzgigg

Banned
PSVita
Minecraft (2014)
Final Fantasy 10 HD (2014)
Gravity Rush 2 (2014)
Warriors Lair (who knows)
Phantasy Star Online 2 (who knows)
Borderlands 2 (who knows)

3DS
Bravely Default ( Feb 7 2014)
Monster Hunter 4 (2014)
Smash Bros (2014)
Yoshi New Island (2014)

A lot of Japan on that list.

Suprised at no iOS titles on the list.

I guess MH will be good. And probably Smash. The rest of those games look boring to me.

catmario

Monster Hunter 4 and Bravely Second will bring to biggest handheld experience in 2014. Of course, Borderland 2 and Minecraft vita also bring fantastic handheld experience too.

Actually, I was expect that korean version could release on 2014, but now I'm playing monster hunter 4 all day long in Korea language! Playing monster hunter 4 with familiar language is fantastic thing!

Steel

Banned
I thought Conception II was a hentai game!

I thought so too when I originally heard the concept, but apparently there's no sex or even romance involved with making the children and it's actually pretty satirical about the whole thing. Or at least that's what I heard in the announcement thread from people who played the original in japanese. Was originally going to avoid it like the plague, but I'm thinking about picking it up now.

Edit:

Monster Hunter 4 and Bravely Second will bring to biggest handheld experience in 2014. Of course, Borderland 2 and Minecraft vita also bring fantastic handheld experience too. (For the record, I love Borderlands 2, but I played it to death and back already)

Personally I'm mostly looking forward to Minecraft and Soul Sac Delta for vita and Bravely on 3ds (Never liked Mon hun even a little bit). Not sure if anyone is looking forward to Borderlands 2 tbh. It was the port no one asked for.

Yes Boss!

Smash, Kirby, and Yoshi for me. I still say that Yoshi's Island DS is the best platformer on the system.

Oh hell yeah. Magnificent game to 100-%. Never understood why people look down on it. Yoshi DS is easily most anticipated 3DS game. Right up there with Bravely Default.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Here's my top five out of the games on this list that are confirmed 2014:

1. Bravely Default:FF
2. Smash Bros.
3. Umihara
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Kirby.

Monster Hunter 4 and DQ VII coming would get this closeish to this year for me.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of Japan on that list.
Western developers more or less completely abandoned handhelds in favor of mobile or consoles in the latter half of the PSP/DS lifecycle. Pretty much every major title in that period was Japanese output. Aside from a few console ports/spin offs that a few developers tried on the Vita or the standard iterative sports/racing titles that get a port, it's the same situation this time around as well.

Not sure why someone would get a handheld if they're uninterested in 3rd party Japanese titles.

catmario

Strange thing is... No news for DQ7 Localization frustrates me :(

I want to play DQ7 in english. Playing with Japanese getting tired me.

boinx

Thank god Smash is coming to 3DS too. Other than that, it looks kinda barren on 3DS for me. Vita has the more interesting lineup, at least for now.

Top Bottom