• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Brief Look at Portable Gaming in 2014

JimPanzer

aksed already in a other thread, but might belong here too:

Ok,with more Atlus games coming to the 3DS (probably much later to EU) and SMT IV still not out in EU I've decided to import a US 3DS XL and SMT IV.
Question is what is the best way (fastest and cheapest) to do so? Play-Asia doesn't have US 3DS XL in stock and they are very pricey anyway.
Any suggestions?

Zalman

I am getting:

- Kirby: Triple Deluxe
- Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS
- Maybe Monster Hunter 4

Gazoinks

3DS:
-SMASH BROTHERS SMASH BROTHERS YES YES
-Shantae
-Kirby
-Persona Q
-Majora's Mask (Please)
-Devil Survivor 2

Don't know much about Yumi or MH, but people seem to like them so I'll check them out. Not a huge FF fan, so neutral on Bravely Default.

Eric C

So far not an extremly strong year for the 3DS for me, but we'll probably get more announcements by E3

Umihara Kawase - Really liked the SNES and PS1 game, will be getting this sequel on the 3DS for sure
Shantae
Layton VS Pheonix Wright
Shovel Knight - might get this on Wii U instead though

Is Puyo Puyo Tetris being localised?

I really hope it will be.

I miss having regular, reliably great, 2D Castlevania releases like the GBA and DS got. :(

Also sad to see how much western support has dried up outside of indie games (nothing against those, they're some of my favorites on the systems thankfully).

I'm really really REALLY looking forward to Smash on the 3DS, I hope it's a great version of the game because I doubt I'll have a Wii U anytime soon. I'm hoping they make it like Mario Kart DS where it has the great core gameplay plus a great single player, portable friendly mode like the Mission Mode in MKDS.

Also excited for Rouge Legacy on Vita. I have it on PC, but I've been holding off for a portable version with a great D-Pad. :D

Draconian

Really awesome thread, OP.

One that's missing (for NA anyway) is Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy. It's coming out February 28.

2013 was pretty killer for the 3DS, but man, 2014 is looking barren on both consoles.

Kirby should be a solid title, but, it's Kirby, it'll be like every other Kirby, not really something to get exited about.
Smash Bros is sorta the same. I'll probably pick up the 3DS version, but the Wii U one is what I'm exited for.
Gravity Rush 2 will also be nice and solid, but that's all I'm caring about on the Vita for 2014 at this stage.

Hopefully Nintendo keeps announcing absolutely killer games 6 months before release and we get an awesome Metroid or something later in the year.

I'd be exited for Persona Q, but I really doubt it'll be 2014, at least for Europe.

butbutbut the worst homeconsole game is automatically superoir to the bestest handheldest game off all time
est

2014 will be a fantastic year for handhelds !

redcrayon

Euro lineup doesn't look too bad for me- we also have no idea what's planned for the second half of 2014, it's fair to say Nintendo will have at least one big hitter next winter even if they mainly focus on the WiiU.

Layton vs Phoenix Wright
Etrian Odyssey: Millenium Girl
Shantae and the Pirates Curse
Smash Bros
Shovel Knight
Yoshi's New Island
Mario Golf
Kirby Triple Deluxe.
Probably Monster Hunter 4
Probably SMTIV

Maybe Persona Q
Maybe Devil Survivor 2: Break record
(Realistically I expect 2015 for these)

Nice bit of variety, I'm happy with that. Theres also undoubtedly some more lower profile eshop stuff too. An announcement for Dragon Quest VII for, say, September would also help make it an awesome year though.

What I'm going to get:

3DS:
SmashBros, MonsterHunter4, Yoshis Island, Kirby and maybe Bravely Default.

Vita:
Boarderlands2, GravityRush2, Hotline Miami2, Minecraft, FFX/-2, Helldivers, Frozen Synapse Tactics, FreedomWars and maybe Toukiden and SoulSacrifice Delta.

There are so many games that I'm going to get for both platforms that I more than likely won't even take the shrink wrap off for months if not a year. Right now I'll go on a Vita kick and my 3DS will be neglected for months, then I'll go on a 3DS kick and Vita is in it's case for a month. It's a really good time to have both portables and I'm happy with the experiences both provide.

UberTag

Excluding Trails in the Sky SC from the opening post in the thread is a crime against nature.
Do JRPG aficionados still not realize that Kiseki is the pre-eminent JRPG franchise right now?

It would be like omitting a major Final Fantasy release from a list of game- oh wait, THAT happened too.

No Trails in the Sky SC.
No Final Fantasy X/X-2.
Tsk tsk tsk. What the hell?!?

Looks like another awesome year of handheld gaming.

Missing Ore Shika 2 as well (although who knows on a Western release, but Yosp said he wanted it to come over).

IrishNinja

my man chacra makes the best threads

this was easily 3DS' year by me, happy to see both platforms have some really fantastic looking stuff on deck!

I miss having regular, reliably great, 2D Castlevania releases like the GBA and DS got. :(

yeah, i still haven't finish Portrait of Ruin but im with you on this

"Where did all the Japanese developers go?"

Oh... here the are.

haha...also this, so hard

redcrayon

Soul Sacrifice is nothing like MH. And its funny how op ignored all the indie games just because. Lol.

When people go to the effort of making nice, informative threads with lovely pics, that drives discussion rather than bitching for a change, why not go to effort of being constructive in your criticism of it?

Which indie games do you think are missing? Do you have pics? Comments? Calling people's efforts laughable if they don't make an exhaustive list of a hundred-odd titles is a bit mean. I'd like to see Shovel Knight up there but not everyone is looking forward to the same relatively low-key stuff.

kirby_fox

Banned
Hoping for more 3DS games than that.

Otherwise, I'll be splitting my time between Kirby and Smash while going to the back catalog.

Excluding Trails in the Sky SC from the opening post in the thread is a crime against nature.
Do JRPG aficionados still not realize that Kiseki is the pre-eminent JRPG franchise right now?

It would be like omitting a major Final Fantasy release from a list of game- oh wait, THAT happened too.

No Trails in the Sky SC.
No Final Fantasy X/X-2.
Tsk tsk tsk. What the hell?!?

Op already said he was trying to put together a list of handheld exclusives, TiTS (although excellent and definitely worth everyone's time and money) and FFx/-2 are going to be on other platforms.

PsionBolt

Another great year. I thank the stars that handhelds still exist, and still get great games. Console gaming's steady decline is disheartening, but fortunately handhelds are there to pick up the slack. With real, honest-to-god video games.
Out of this list, besides the obvious greats (Nintendo titles, Bravely Default, PersonaQ), the games that stand out the most to me are Conception II and Demon Gaze.

I've been replaying FE: Awakening lately, and another eugenics simulator sounds great right about now. I'm hoping you can minmax the kids in Conception like you can in Awakening. I'll still get it if it's a simpler implementation like Kozukuri Banchou, but I'd appreciate some depth.

Demon Gaze looks really cool, but I don't know much about the game. Still, I'm always up for a flashy first-person dungeon crawler. That genre's resurgence on handhelds over the last two generations has made me very happy.

Edit: Puyo Puyo Tetris sounds amazing, woah. Asymmetrical multiplayer is like my favourite thing.

redcrayon

Hoping for more 3DS games than that.

Otherwise, I'll be splitting my time between Kirby and Smash while going to the back catalog.
Heh, this is why I'm not too fussed about SMTIV- I've still got Devil Survivor: Overclocked and Soul Hackers to play for all my demon-coaching needs!

Also, a second playthrough of ALBW in hero mode. Looking forward to it already.

jgmo870

Banned
OMDB2 is the only 2014 handheld game I'm looking forward to
AH35Cot.gif

because GR2 was never confirmed to release next year. Oh yeah, TiTS 2 is coming out next year, that'll be fun. The Vita version of Project Diva f is being localized and 2f is releasing in Japan.

You're kinda screwed if you don't like all those third person action games. Japan is just churning them out like crazy. So generic and they all just play the same.....boringly methodical. Dodge & strafe, then proceed to counter attack.

Since Gravity Rush has no release date...Sony's only other big title is just Freedom Wars?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Updated the list with a buncha new stuff. Limiting it to exclusives kinda knee-capped the Vita, so I put a few in there.

I also realized that I planned poorly, as I am like... completely out of space in that first post. Oh well.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the only 3DS game that really interests me in the slightest is Yoshi's New Island. But I have low expectations of even that game. I'll probably sell of my XL if there aren't more games announced soon. I could really use a 2D Metroid or Advance Wars.

3DS:
Bravely Default
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

Vita:
Over My Dead Body 2 (If it's localized)
Phantasy Star Nova(If it's localized)
Persona 4: Dancing All Night
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of the Sky: SC
+ a few indies like Rogue Legacy or Hotline Miami 2

Not a complete list, obviously, and certainly subject to change based on game or localization announcements and impressions(and income :p), but that's my list so far.

The 3ds looks really weak compare to this year 's line line up- hopefully there are some surprises like Advance Wars and some more RPGs.

Vita - lots of Interesting niche games , hoping they don't have technical problems.
Another concern is lack of concrete release dates.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Some missing games i'm interested in:

Football Manager Classic 2014
image_308474_fit_620.jpg

Frozen Synapse tactics
Untitled-95.jpg

Forgotten Memories
image1-e1370778537388.png

Helldivers
helldivers.jpg

Big Fest
a4e65a570ff16723a490218ea1a15c86c1e65c09.jpg__620x354_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Putty Squad(lol)
putty-squad-zone09c-800x453_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

Any Tycoon / management sims coming out in 2014.
On Vita there will be Big Fest and Football Manager Classic.

Yawnier

Banned
Looks like a weaker year for the 3DS compared to this past year (speaking for myself and my personal tastes here anyway), only like three 3DS games there are must-haves for me.

Top Bottom