• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Brief Look at Portable Gaming in 2014

18-Volt

Ok list but not impressive. Absence of big guys, Capcom, Sega, Konami or Namco is unacceptable. Hopefully they remember that portable exist next year.

Also, Sony's first party output for Vita is laughable. Only Gravity Rush and GoW HD Collection? If I were sony, I'd be doing everything I could to save Vita. Syphon Filter, LocoRoco, Jeanne D'arc, Patapon, Parappa... Some moneyhatting too, Kingdom Hearts, MGS (where is my peace Walker 2???), FF Type-1, GTA, Devil May Cry... Come on Sony, please do something, don't let this sexy machine die.

joe2187

Banned
Helldivers Vita

helldivers_4.jpg

helldivers_6.jpg
This new title from the developers of Magicka will be released on all Sony platforms, PS3, PS4 and Vita. It resembles Magicka in a way that you can play four players at a time, and that it is an action game with a top down view. The setting is very much Starship Troopers, you control a squad of marines in a dystopian future and have to shoot countless of alien insects before you can return home

Dustforce Vita early 2014
Dustforce-Coming-to-PS3-PS-Vita-and-Xbox-360.png

Dustforce-Capcom-Consoles.jpg

In Dustforce, players assume the role of an acrobatic janitor who sweeps away dust-fueled corruption. By mastering "Custodial Arts," players will learn to chain attacks, bounce off walls and more. In addition to online leaderboards and trophy and achievement support, Dustforce will also feature ranked and private multiplayer matches.

Dustforce trailer

daveo42

Banned
That's a pretty impressive list for 2014. I feel like I'm going to be bogged down more over the course of the year by handheld games than console/PC games with all the quality stuff coming out for both the Vita and 3DS.

Year of the Handheld incoming.

Steel

Banned
Updated the list with a buncha new stuff. Limiting it to exclusives kinda knee-capped the Vita, so I put a few in there.

I also realized that I planned poorly, as I am like... completely out of space in that first post. Oh well.

I think you should restrict vita titles to Playstation exclusives(Not simply vita exclusives) to shorten that list(Then again Minecraft Vita being the first full featured portable version is worth noting). Or you could ring up a mod to insert a post below your first one. If that happens you could categorize titles by their degree of confirmation.

Ok list but not impressive. Absence of big guys, Capcom, Sega, Konami or Namco is unacceptable. Hopefully they remember that portable exist next year.

Also, Sony's first party output for Vita is laughable. Only Gravity Rush and GoW HD Collection? If I were sony, I'd be doing everything I could to save Vita. Syphon Filter, LocoRoco, Jeanne D'arc, Patapon, Parappa... Some moneyhatting too, Kingdom Hearts, MGS (where is my peace Walker 2???), FF Type-1, GTA, Devil May Cry... Come on Sony, please do something, don't let this sexy machine die.

Actually Sega is doing Phantasy Star Nova, but I give that a 10% chance of going west. Over my Dead body 2 is like 80% chance of going west(Yosp even tweeted he'd have a heartattack if it didn't make it over at one point) and is first party.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

I agree that Sony should do a LOT more for Vita, especially the extremely incompetent American branch(a competent one would try hard to make its product successful, not to kill it), but that list is very far from being exhaustive, these are some of the games Sony is doing directly or in collaboration:
Gravity Rush 2
Over My Dead Body 2
Freedom Wars
Soul sacrifice Delta(IIRC)
Helldivers
GOW Collection
Dead Nation
Natural Doctrine(IIRC)
Borderlands 2

i think i'm missing something, anyway in addition there's a rumored Infamous and the localization/port department that could bring more games.

Vibranium

Banned
Seems decent enough, but I'd like more Capcom on the 3DS next year. If they'd localize that damn Ace Attorney Investigations 2, it'd be very nice. Hopefully Dual Destinies sales were good enough to change their minds.

Also, Claire Redfield Resident Evil 3DS game please.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
A Mario golf!? Fuck yes. Nothing else except smash looked even vaguely interesting but I loved golf on gc and would love another.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Handheld gaming has had an awesome year this year, the future looks bright enough for both platforms (at least gamewise)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Soul Sacrifice is nothing like MH. And its funny how op ignored all the indie games just because. Lol.

It's quite frankly amazing how devoted console warriors manage to twist a genuine constructive effort like the OP delivers here into .. this?

This was what you got from reading the OP? Seriously?

I can't believe I'm being buried by a Nintendo system, and a handheld at that. So many good looking things coming and we probably only know the half of it. I wonder if we'll see the Monolithsoft game finally?

At any rate I'm really pumped about what I 'll get to play over the next few years on the 3DS/PS3.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I can't believe I'm being buried by a Nintendo system, and a handheld at that. So many good looking things coming and we probably only know the half of it. I wonder if we'll see the Monolithsoft game finally?

At any rate I'm really pumped about what I 'll get to play over the next few years on the 3DS/PS3.

This is honestly the craziest thing to me. It's like Japanese developers all just woke up recently and were like "hey, maybe we should make PS3 games finally." 2014 is already the most interesting year for PS3 by a fucking mile, as far as I'm concerned.

MegaMelon

Wallet am cry

Persona Q
Monster Hunter 4
Pokemon Z
Bravely Default

And then I'm buying a Vita with Persona 4 and a crapton of other games
rpgs
that I'm gonna buy

Shiggy

Even though I just got a 3DS XL, I must admit that the 2014 lineup appears to be pretty meh. Hope we'll get some more announcements soon!

Yes Boss!

Another three to four years on the PS3 for japanese titles easily. Even if the make PS4 games theyvare just gonna be ports of PS3 games anyways.

And the system will finally get somebshooter rereleases as the genre looks to be on PS3DS at least through 2014.

That said, I thought that was a typo and he meant Vita.

Staal

Ooh, OlliOlli looks surprisingly fun, need to keep an eye on that one.

For me, the Vita is also a system to play ports of games I otherwise would not play. As I'm not a fan of fantasy settings, a lot of the exclusive games listed aren't that appealing.

Top Bottom