• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A case for America to implement cultural sanctions and boycotts against Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince

besada said:
So, I'm curious. Are any of the Dutch posting in here black? I know it's a long shot, considering the Netherlands is 80% white, but I'd really be curious to hear a black Dutch person's opinion regarding Zwarte Piet.

I hunted around and found this opinion, but it doesn't exactly match those of the Dutch posters in the thread:

http://www.ferris.edu/JIMCROW/question/jan05/

I'm Dutch but not black (not white either) and I have a lot of friends that are black and they are pretty much divided about the issue. One of my best friends really hates the tradition and does find it racist, others don't think its a big deal and do celebrate it.

Most of the black people I know (Surinamese) celebrated Sinterklaas at school together with all the rest of the children. But they didn't necessarily celebrate it at home like almost all white kids do, It's more like 50/50.

Personally I think it's impossible to deny that the figure of Zwarte Piet isn't rooted in racism, although I agree that most of the people that celebrate it don't have any racist motives.

I'm all for changing the figure of Zwarte Piet into something else, don't know what though? It will probably cause a lot of commotion but some things you just have to change.

I dont think the essence of Sinterklaas celebration (getting gifts and spending time with your family) will be lost by changing the appearance of Zwarte Piet.

Walshicus

Ignis Fatuus said:
I remember that. It was glorious. The Europeans never saw it coming.
And the Americans didn't know what the fuck they were talking about when it came to a complicated issue that few if any of them had any claim to be able to comment on. But hey.

Dude Abides

Banned
gerg said:
Support your claims - why is this undeniably racist imagery?

Heck, I'd argue that your own example betrays your point. There is nothing inherently racist about what you'd suggest. The reason why we find it racist is because of the way such imagery has been used in the past. I'd deny the ability for an image to be inherently anything, really, in the first place.

This is a banal semantic quibble. Of course an image isn't "inherently" anything. But in the context of a globalized culture in 2009, it is undeniable that this imagery has racist connotations.

gerg

Dude Abides said:
This is a banal semantic quibble. Of course an image isn't "inherently" anything. But in the context of a globalized culture in 2009, it is undeniable that this imagery has racist connotations.

But to whom?

If all culture is relative (outside of, say, issues of morality), then there is no wrong; everyone is entitled to their own culture. As a result, how do you rightfully resolve issues of conflict? It seems that you can't, not unless you adopt an arrogant "our culture is more deserving than yours" attitude.

mollipen

The way I see it is, white people do not get to say if it's racist or not. (Speaking mainly at the people defending this event.) Sorry, but you don't have that right, and I say that being white myself. If it was something seen as portraying white people, then you can speak your mind, but otherwise your opinion on the matter doesn't mean shit.

How black people in Holland perceive all of this, that's what matters. If they aren't offended by it, then I've got no problem with it. If they are, then sorry, you can cry about how it isn't racist all you want, the idea should be done away with, because it doesn't take a genius to see how something like this could be seen as racist.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Goldrusher said:
/enjoys thread while eating a nigger tit

img-230306-012.onlineBild.jpg

(actual name in Belgium, nigger kiss in Holland, nigger head in Switzerland)

:lol :lol :lol

God damn!

Scipius said:
No. The text in the OP is the work of a troll. Enjoy it, but ignore.

This thread is early this year (much like the pepernoten)! One of the pleasures of Sinterklaas is watching the culture-shocked Americans and Dutchies fight it out.
It's pretty hilarious yeah. I totally called it in that other thread. :lol

There are some awful posts in this thread too though... What's up with the one dude who hates Americans? :lol

EmCeeGramr's post was a very good one, and he has a point, but what's up with this:
Dyno said:
I'm sure it makes others around you, your fellow citizens, feel bad and even scared. Why then would you walk the streets and make people feel that way? How do you feel about shelving your respect to others during this holiday season?
The fuck? I've never heard of anyone who feels bad or scared because of Sinterklaas or his Pieten. This is certainly not something anyone wants to happen.

EmCeeGramr said:
Imagine if it was a figure named 'Geel Jan' who looked like this:

2lt0nie.jpg

And then claiming that only "the PC police" could possibly see racism in such a harmless depiction of a funny figure.
I don't get it. Is this supposed to be a caricature of a Dutchman? If so, I don't see how that's a problem. There are plenty of Dutch stereotypes... In Austin Powers 3 the Dutch are continuously made fun of, yet everyone I know that has seen the movie thinks it's hilarious.

I understand it's different for black people, but I think a lot of people are overly sensitive these days.

Sol.. said:
yall did invent chicken and waffles right? *grabs stabbin knife*
Yes. We invented chickens. That's us. *slowly walks away*

SmokyDave said:
No. No way. There are far too many people across the globe with far too many norms / practices to worry about offending all of them. Let's not even start to bring religion, particularly Islam, into this.

Unless the offence is targeted and intended, then we're talking about a real problem.
HarryHengst said:
Haha, oh yes, wonderful. Lets create one big worldwide monoculture where noone can be offended by anything. Im sure that will create a wonderful world to live in.
Yeah that's ridiculous. Let's ban everything that can possibly, somehow offend anyone. :lol

Can everybody quit trying to create problems where there aren't any please? This december, at least 16 million people will have fun at Sinterklaas. Nobody is being racist, no black people are being ridiculed, nobody cares.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
gerg said:
Except, by itself, that image doesn't reinforce a stereotype. In itself, an image of a person of dark skin and with bright lips is just that - an image of a single person of dark skin and with bright lips. What makes that image stereotypical is a culture of stereotyping whereby it is purported that this singular image is representative of everyone of a particular kind or race. As a result, this image only becomes racist when understood in a racist context.

Yes, it does. If the image did not exaggerate the skin color and lip size / color and just portrayed a black person in a cartoony but less unrealistic style, then it wouldn't express a stereotype. Any depiction of a person that focuses on a few of his characteristics over all others, especially those that make him obviously part of a larger group who also share with him those characteristics that are portrayed, inherently expresses a stereotype.

gerg said:
Support your claims - why is this undeniably racist imagery?

Heck, I'd argue that your own example betrays your point. There is nothing inherently racist about what you'd suggest. The reason why we find it racist is because of the way such imagery has been used in the past. I'd deny the ability for an image to be inherently anything, really, in the first place.

You're asking me to show why blacky/blackface imagery is racist? Seriously?

As pointed out earlier, Zwarte Piet initially had regular European features in 1850, but become a black caricature a few years later. Blackface entertainment originated in the United States in the 1830s and quickly spread around the world. It's earliest uses were to stereotype blacks with racist imagery and behavior - happy-go-lucky cooning, big red lips, ignorance, swooning over white women, etc. The impact was such that they still influence stereotypes of blacks to this day, even though the makeup is no longer used - well, in the US at least.

Zwarte Piet's imagery is deeply seeded in this racist imagery which continues to impact issues of race to this day. You say people find this racist because it was racist in the past, a ridiculous charge considering the character is based off racist imagery; it was created based off racism. If I revive the servant asian stereotypes of the past, it's still racist imagery regardless of me attempting to defend myself by saying "oh, it was racist in the past but it's alright today." No, it's not.

Walshicus

Ignis Fatuus said:
I think we're overdue for a repeat, there's been a lot of trash mucking up the forum lately.
Perhaps these discussions wouldn't be quite as heated if the cultural lense through which all activities and opinions are judged here were advertised.

gerg

Goya said:
Yes, it does. If the image did not exaggerate the skin color and lip size / color and just portrayed a black person in a cartoony but less unrealistic style, then it wouldn't express a stereotype. Any depiction of a person that focuses on a few of his characteristics over all others, especially those that make him obviously part of a larger group who also share with him those characteristics that are portrayed, inherently expresses a stereotype.

But those features are only considered stereotypical because of the racist stereotype, and not because of their inclusion in the image.

If, in all my future drawings, I only drew black people with disproportionately large eyes, would I be drawing a stereotype? No. However, by your definition I would be.

Dennis

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
I think we're overdue for a repeat, there's been a lot of trash mucking up the forum lately.
Are you going to see yourself out?

Your desire to see other members banned is unbecomming.

Dude Abides

Banned
gerg said:
But to whom?

To anyone who is reasonably knowledgeable about stereotypical imagery and historical usage thereof.

If all culture is relative (outside of, say, issues of morality), then there is no wrong; everyone is entitled to their own culture. As a result, how do you rightfully resolve issues of conflict? It seems that you can't, not unless you adopt an arrogant "our culture is more deserving than yours" attitude.

This argument is not without its weaknesses.

But that aside, I am fairly sure that the Dutch generally would support the following general principle: "Imagery that has been used to demean people based on their race should generally be avoided."

gerg

PhoenixDark said:
You're asking me to show why blacky/blackface imagery is racist? Seriously?

As pointed out earlier, Zwarte Piet initially had regular European features in 1850, but become a black caricature a few years later. Blackface entertainment originated in the United States in the 1830s and quickly spread around the world. It's earliest uses were to stereotype blacks with racist imagery and behavior - happy-go-lucky cooning, big red lips, ignorance, swooning over white women, etc. The impact was such that they still influence stereotypes of blacks to this day, even though the makeup is no longer used - well, in the US at least.

I'm not asking you to show why this imagery may be considered racist in the wider cultural context, but why this imagery is racist inherently, without this cultural background to reference.

Zwarte Piet's imagery is deeply seeded in this racist imagery which continues to impact issues of race to this day. You say people find this racist because it was racist in the past, a ridiculous charge considering the character is based off racist imagery; it was created based off racism.

I'm not denying that the imagery wasn't created from racism, but that nowadays, in Holland, at least, it isn't racist because it doesn't form part of a wider cultural context that is racist, or has incredibly strong links to historical racism.

I don't think people look at this imagery and think that all black people embody the features of the Zwarte Piet. That being the case, I don't see why the image is racist to them. Of course, for people whose cultural background is American, it is very easy to see why this imagery is racist.

If I revive the servant asian stereotypes of the past, it's still racist imagery regardless of me attempting to defend myself by saying "oh, it was racist in the past but it's alright today." No.

I agree. But it wouldn't be racist because of features inherent to that image - it would be racist because of the culture of racism that existed when that imagery was first proliferated.

gerg

Dude Abides said:
To anyone who is reasonably knowledgeable about stereotypical imagery and historical usage thereof.

Which is culture specific.

I'm generally not one for cultural relativism. But I find it hard to imagine this as an issue of ethics, morality or reason; it's much closer to an issue of language, which has arguably got nothing to do with rationality.

But that aside, I am fairly sure that the Dutch generally would support the following general principle: "Imagery that has been used to demean people based on their race should generally be avoided."

My point would remain: this imagery has only been used to demean people in a country on the other side of the world. For the Dutch, it would appear, this imagery has never been used to demean people.

As a result, it is important to note that the demand for duty is not derived from an element of necessarily doing wrong, but almost, in a sense, from some kind of an altruist social contract.

SmokyDave said:
Agreed. Also, there seems to be no attempt to seperate intent and perception. This is why I mentioned the 4th of July. If I, as an Englishman, wish to perceive that day as a celebration of my countrymen being slaughtered and their new found colony being stolen, do I have a right to be offended?

No, of course I don't because that isn't the intent of the 4th of July, that is my skewed perception. Just as the intent of this celebration is not to demean / deride black people.

wat

you do remember that you ATTACKED the colonies right? And that the 4th of July celebrates the signing of the declaration of independance which your King could've approved and not sent any troops to be slaughtered in the first place?

besada

Banned
Prince said:
I'm Dutch but not black (not white either) and I have a lot of friends that are black and they are pretty much divided about the issue. One of my best friends really hates the tradition and does find it racist, others don't think its a big deal and do celebrate it.

Most of the black people I know (Surinamese) celebrated Sinterklaas at school together with all the rest of the children. But they didn't necessarily celebrate it at home like almost all white kids do, It's more like 50/50.

Personally I think it's impossible to deny that the figure of Zwarte Piet isn't rooted in racism, although I agree that most of the people that celebrate it don't have any racist motives.

I'm all for changing the figure of Zwarte Piet into something else, don't know what though? It will probably cause a lot of commotion but some things you just have to change.

I dont think the essence of Sinterklaas celebration (getting gifts and spending time with your family) will be lost by changing the appearance of Zwarte Piet.

Thanks for your answer. The link in my post made me think it wasn't quite so cut and dried in the black Dutch population, but all we'd heard prior to that in this thread was that no one had a problem. Thanks for the perspective.

Danielsan

Prince said:
I completely agree and I wouldn't know what to replace him with either.

Dennis

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
wat

you do remember that you ATTACKED the colonies right? And that the 4th of July celebrates the signing of the declaration of independance which your King could've approved and not sent any troops to be slaughtered in the first place?
But obviously the British viewed the American Revolution as civil insurrection. Watch what happens if an american state just declares itself independent and confiscate federal property.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's good to see that other countries have their own Confederate flag to fly.

Dude Abides

Banned
gerg said:
Which is culture specific.

Yes, and in the globalized, interconnected Western culture of 2009, which includes the Netherlands, a reasonably knowledgeable person should be familiar with this imagery enough to know that it has racial connotations.

I'm generally not one for cultural relativism. But I find it hard to imagine this as an issue of ethics, morality or reason; it's much closer to an issue of language, which has arguably got nothing to do with rationality.

It's more likely an issue that people like this tradition, and are willing to ignore or rationalize away the fact that it has elements that are offensive. In America, this was a problem in the 70s as sports teams movied away from using Native American mascots, and continues to do this day w/r/t Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians as well as the Washington Redskins.

My point would remain: this imagery has only been used to demean people in a country on the other side of the world. For the Dutch, it would appear, this imagery has never been used to demean people.

How do you have any basis for knowing this?

Dennis

Banned
Dude Abides said:
Yes, and in the globalized, interconnected Western culture of 2009, which includes the Netherlands, a reasonably knowledgeable person should be familiar with this imagery enough to know that it has racial connotations.

It's more likely an issue that people like this tradition, and are willing to ignore or rationalize away the fact that it has elements that are offensive. In America, this was a problem in the 70s as sports teams movied away from using Native American mascots, and continues to do this day w/r/t Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians as well as the Washington Redskins.

It would appear that you are totally incapable of imagining that other people may not share your view of what is and is not offensive. How old are you? Have you been abroad?

Zabka

besada said:
So, I'm curious. Are any of the Dutch posting in here black? I know it's a long shot, considering the Netherlands is 80% white, but I'd really be curious to hear a black Dutch person's opinion regarding Zwarte Piet.

I hunted around and found this opinion, but it doesn't exactly match those of the Dutch posters in the thread:

http://www.ferris.edu/JIMCROW/question/jan05/
Great article. Thanks.

DennisK4 said:
But obviously the British viewed the Amerian Revolution as civil insurrection. Watch what happens if an american state just declares itself independent and confiscate federal property.

Say we declare Puerto Rico a state today, 2009 and they rebel and win their independance a few years later. What right do we have to offended by their independance day? It's a fucking stupid argument to use and it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Dude Abides

Banned
DennisK4 said:
It would appear that you are totally incapable of imagining that other people may not share your view of what is and is not offensive. How old are you? Have you been abroad?

I'm 33 and just got back from Italy.

It would appear that you are totally incapable of the distinction between understanding other people's arguments and being persuaded by them. What is your highest level of schooling? How good is your understanding of written English?

gerg said:
I'm not asking you to show why this imagery may be considered racist in the wider cultural context, but why this imagery is racist inherently, without this cultural background to reference.

I'd argue it's racist inherently because it was created to stereotype blacks; that was the root. As I've said before, I don't think everyone who uses it means to belittle or offend black people. I argued that in the "Jackson Jive" thread awhile back. Those Australians didn't do that to offend black people, and I doubt they could explain the historical use of the imagery.

I'm not denying that the imagery wasn't created from racism, but that nowadays, in Holland, at least, it isn't racist because it doesn't form part of a wider cultural context that is racist, or has incredibly strong links to historical racism.

But the imagery remains racially insensitive and yes, racist. The personal intent may not be to offend as I stated above, in fact I'd say it's not intended to offend in this celebration. I agree that most people in Holland probably don't look at this and laugh

I don't think people look at this imagery and think that all black people embody the features of the Zwarte Piet. That being the case, I don't see why the image is racist.

I think they know exactly who is being stereotyped and made fun of; now do most of them do it to be hurtful to blacks, most likely not. I'm baffled how you can argue the image is not racist. It's a black caricature, based directly off blackface traditions imported from the United States. It's not some innocent game they came up with themselves

I agree. But it wouldn't be racist because of feature inherent to that image - it would be racist because of the culture of racism that existed when that imagery was first proliferated.

Here's where our core disagreement remains. The intent is still the same: to negatively stereotype a race of people. One might be able to argue it's even more offensive today, given globalization/exposure and education.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
gerg said:
But those features are only considered stereotypical because of the racist stereotype, and not because of their inclusion in the image.

If, in all my future drawings, I only drew black people with disproportionately large eyes, would I be drawing a stereotype? No. However, by your definition I would be.

Large eyes does not make it obvious that what you have drawn is a black person. On the other hand, very black skin and bright, large lips do. You don't need any cultural or historical knowledge to know this. You just need to have seen a black person before to know they have darker skin and lips that might be shaped a bit differently. On the other hand, if you want to draw a black person and it make it obvious he is black, you don't have to exaggerate his features and draw him with very black skin and bright, large lips. Doing so overshadows all his other features and makes him a caricature and a stereotype.

Prince said:

See, if this is true, then why does everyone keep arguing that it's Americans being arrogant and PC?

And gerg, what's your idea of racism? Just because something doesn't explicitly advocate violence or hatred towards blacks doesn't mean that it can't be insensitive. You keep arguing that the Dutch themselves don't view it is as racist, but how do you really know that? It's already been pointed out that some blacks in Holland aren't particularly fond of the tradition.

As I've said before, it's an insidious kind of racism under the guise of tradition. You argue that it's roots aren't relative to the way it's celebrated today, but I just don't buy that. Why couldn't the racist imagery die with the racism? It seems Piet's story has already been changed in that people now see it's just soot, not that he's black, but then why not change the the image? It's not a cultural thing, it's a human thing. No one likes to be stereotyped.

Dennis

Banned
Dude Abides said:
I'm 33 and just got back from Italy.

It would appear that you are totally incapable of the distinction between understanding other people's arguments and being persuaded by them. What is your highest level of schooling? How good is your understanding of written English?
My highest level of schooling is a PhD in Molecular Biology. My understanding of written english is sufficient to read and understand your attempts to project your taboos on others. However, unlike you, I am capable of acknowledging that various people from various cultures and places have different histories and therefore different sensibilities.

Dina

Oh and to add, I don't know a single white dutch person who has a problem with the imagery of Zwarte Piet, and most of the black (african) crowd don't give a rats ass either. Muslims don't even celebrate it and I assume other minorities have adopted by now. It's also a heavily engrained piece of the Dutch culture. What the fuck you want to do, ban it? That's political suicide at best and will _not_ fly.

The criticism in The Netherlands is a very, very small minority and knowing our people, in our eyes America is the last country that needs to come knocking on our door playing the racism card.

Dina said:
Oh and to add, I don't know a single white dutch person who has a problem with the imagery of Zwarte Piet, and most of the black (african) crowd don't give a rats ass either. Muslims don't even celebrate it and I assume other minorities have adopted by now. It's also a heavily engrained piece of the Dutch culture. What the fuck you want to do, ban it? That's political suicide at best and will _not_ fly.

The criticism in The Netherlands is a very, very small minority and knowing our people, in our eyes America is the last country that needs to come knocking on our door playing the racism card.

Really, the last country? You sure about that?

And because it's a very very small minority (according to you), it should be dismissed? And no, it's not political suicide. America got rid of minstrels a long time ago and I think we are pretty much better for it.

Dude Abides

Banned
DennisK4 said:
My highest level of schooling is a PhD in Molecular Biology. My understanding of written english is sufficient to read and understand your attempts to project your taboos on others. However, unlike you, I am capable of acknowledging that various people from various cultures and places have different histories and therefore different sensibilities.

Congratulations on your degree! I was too clumsy in the lab so I decided to get my grad degree in law rather than continuing with biochemistry.

You butted in without understanding the conversation. Gerg and I were having a completely civil discussion, in which he presented his arguments, including the argument from cultural relativism that you are now making again. I acknowledged them, and explained why I am not persuaded by them. I argued that in 2009, Dutch culture is sufficiently broad enough to encompass an at least rudimentary knowledge of the historical baggage of blackface imagery, and thus a fundamental premise of the cultural relativism defense is missing in this instance. Thus, rather than not "acknowledging that various people from various cultures and places ..." I actually did acknowledge it, but argued that it does not really apply to this situation.

Hopefully now you understand why, after having already gone through all this with gerg, I am not impressed by you essentially repeating that "Countries are, like, different, maaaaaaaan."

gerg

Dude Abides said:

In this globalized, interconnect multi-national culture of 2009, which includes America, a reasonably knowledgeable person should be familiar with this imagery enough to understand the context in which it doesn't have racial connotations.

It's not so much that people don't recognise that this imagery can be offensive, but this fact alone doesn't matter. Everything can be offensive to someone or another.

Granted, my knowledge is limited, but I made that claim based on my understanding that the current, most widespread application of the character is that he's a helper who gives out presents to the good and punishes the naughty, one who just so happens to be dark skinned and has bright red lips. There doesn't seem to be an implied connection between this fact to the idea that all black people look like that, and neither is there one between that and the idea that all black people should be discriminated against because of their physical appearance.

In as much as Black Peter's skin colour is an important part of his cultural heritage, it is also appears to be one of his least significant aspects nowadays.

PhoenixDark said:
I'd argue it's racist inherently because it was created to stereotype blacks; that was the root. As I've said before, I don't think everyone who uses it means to belittle or offend black people, in fact often times they may not understand the imagery they're associating themselves with. I argued that in the "Jackson Jive" thread awhile back. Those Australians didn't do that to offend black people, and I doubt they could explain the historical use of the imagery.

So if the imagery was created simultaneously without the intent of stereotyping people, it wouldn't be racist?

My only conclusion is that you're using "inherently" in the loosest sense of the word, such that it represents a casual relationship which is by no means necessary.

Of course, it may not be worthwhile trying to imagine imagery without context. Nevertheless, this leaves us in a relativist position whereby there is no right nor wrong.

But the imagery remains racially insensitive and yes, racist. The personal intent may not be to offend as I stated above, in fact I'd say it's not intended to offend in this celebration. I agree that most people in Holland probably don't look at this and laugh

I think they know exactly who is being stereotyped and made fun of; now do most of them do it to be hurtful to blacks, most likely not. I'm baffled how you can argue the image is not racist. It's a black caricature, based directly off blackface traditions imported from the United States. It's not some innocent game they came up with themselves

I'm arguing that it's not racist because images aren't racist by their own right. This may be a poor analogy, but racism isn't a tool. Racism is a method, a way of using a tool. As a result, changing the method will invariably change the racist nature (or lack thereof) of an image. An image's racism isn't determined by its content, but by the context of that content.

We're basically arguing epistomology, and unless we can reach an agreement on how meaning is determined, we may as well agree to disagree.

Goya said:
Large eyes does not make it obvious that what you have drawn is a black person. On the other hand, very black skin and bright, large lips do.

Why not?

Again, unless you don't want your argument to become circular, please don;t referencing cultural standards and norms.

You don't need any cultural or historical knowledge to know this. You just need to have seen a black person before to know they have darker skin and lips that might be shaped a bit differently.

Actually, I'd argue that empirical experience alone is not enough to provide meaning. Seeing a single black person would not provide me with any information regarding what is and isn't his stereotype. (I'd suggest reading Wittgenstein's "tove" argument.)

On the other hand, if you want to draw a black person and it make it obvious he is black, you don't have to exaggerate his features and draw him with very black skin and bright, large lips. Doing so overshadows all his other features and makes him a caricature and a stereotype.

Not necessarily.

Imagine the stereotype for black people was that they had large eyes. If I were to draw a black person with very dark skin and bright large lips, would my image be racist?

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Dina said:

Why, because America has made leaps and bounds in its fight against racism? Though it has a really long way to go, it has progressed immensely.

No one's asking the Dutch to give up their cultural traditions overnight, but I think it's about time they at least start thinking about the implications of their tradition and acknowledge that the Zwarte Piet imagery is racist.

Scipius

joelseph said:
This thread is not doing Holland any favors, yikes.

It's not doing the Americans any either, believe me.

Also, there is no such country as "Holland". The name of the country is the Netherlands, of which Holland was only one. Its use as the country's name is deeply insulting to all Dutchmen not from Holland...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom