• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A critique of Destiny 2's issues (power, loot, end-game) by one of the top players

Bizazedo

It's not my first loot experience, that's why I know RNG IS something to be scared of.

*3 hour raid*
*copy #14 of Wonder Pants*
*reconsider life choices*

or

*weekly whatever*
*item unique to event drops*
*sees rolls are utter shite*

Err, that doesn't necessarily mean RNG is bad....it just means the route by which you get the item itself is bad.

i.e., Diablo where you can just try again. WoW changed their loot to be personal or raid loot where items could be traded to those players in need (plus quests that could award raid loot).

Destiny doing it poorly doesn't immediately mean RNG itself is bad.

It's not my first loot experience, that's why I know RNG IS something to be scared of.

*3 hour raid*
*copy #14 of Wonder Pants*

or

*weekly whatever*
*item unique to event drops*
*sees rolls are utter shite*

Which is why most proposals ask for some type of limitation and Hybrid like system with rolls

Make the random roll only occupy a single slot (or column). Or overhaul the Mod system

Or SOMETHING

This way guns keep the majority of their identity while having a way to achieve some custom bonus

Honestly the fanbase is hungry to anything to toy around with at this point

GlamFM

Banned
Put strike-specific gear back in the game and add in a heroic strike playlist. Making people play strikes over and over to use a single ornament out of many is bad game design.

That´s asking for RNG back - fine by me, but not something I would suggest given the fondness for RNG around here.

You´d play strikes over and over again hoping for drops opposed to playing strikes over and over again knowing what you´ll get in the end.

Not inherently different, and not better game design.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Let me bring up my potentially horrible fishing analogy again:
"I don´t have a better time fishing if I drive up to a lake in the morning and someone hands me the fish.

Sitting there for 6hrs in anticipation is the actual fishing experience - so much so that some fishers trow the fish back into the lake after catching it."
I think that's a pretty horrible analogy yes. >w>

As in; that analogy does not seem to have anything to do with RNG but more the rate of drops which I agree is at the moment perhaps a tad bit too generous and much too reliant on the Token system.

Re-introduction of RNG perks on top of already RNG drops would be fishing for tens of hours in the same spot for a specific fish and hitting mostly snags and old boots, and then when you think you caught the fish you were looking for you realize that it's just a half eaten fish corpse. You can add a system to allow you to turn your fish corpse into a pristine new shiny fish, but that doesn't take away the initial bad experience and also detracts from the feeling of having earned that catch.

Like running a certain Strike over and over again for a specific Pulse Rifle only to get the Warlock Bond ten times before finally getting that Pulse Rifle drop only to realize that the rolls on it are horrible and you will have to repeat this process multiple times to get what you actually want.

Here's what I would do;

Bring Power Level importance back to Iron Banner and raise the Power Level cap for Prestige Raid.
Make Strikes more relevant by adding a Heroic Strike playlist with random modifiers.
Make Strikes more relevant by adding unique Strike-specific loot.
Make Strikes more relevant by adding a weekly Strike milestone.
Make Strikes more relevant by providing a glimmer reward at the end.
Make Strikes more relevant by bringing back the Strike Streak.
Make Lost Sectors more relevant by having daily additional bounty targets in specific Sectors.
Bring back the ship Kiosk and have Lost Sectors drop ship schematics.
Remove Meditations from Ikora and bring back the Daily Heroic Story missions.
Rework the Token system; Iron Banner should have end-of-match drops with increasing Iron Banner rank unlocking tiers of items for you to buy directly from the vendor. Ikora's armor should drop directly from Daily Heroics.
Replace Legendary Shards with Strange Coins as currency for Xur with Strange Coins having a chance to drop from any Heroic content.
Give Xur more stuff to sell and move the Fireteam Medals from Eververse to Xur.
Allow us to earn ornaments through using the related Exotic Weapon.
Let us see our medals again and add track-able stats similar to D1's Grimoire (tracking scanables, exotic weapons and armor, unlocked subclasses, multiplayer maps, lost sectors, underbelly chests, regional chests, enemy types defeated, etc. all added up together).

Larger additions / changes;

'Ornament' system for Legendary armor where any Rare or Legendary armor we dismantle unlocks its 'skin' to apply on any Legendary armor of the same class. Give me Fashiony 2
Re-introduce some old content or ramp up the production of new content significantly; the amount of Strikes feels low and I strongly feel that we should have had a second Raid at launch and at least one PvE space similar to Archon's Forge or Court of Oryx with unique loot.
Ramp up the introduction of new guns and armor; just drop one or two new pieces into the game every week or two weeks and let people find them on their own. Perhaps have players working to unlock it through a community-wide weekly milestone that requires x amount of completions of for example Lost Sectors with Vex bosses.
Add some form of Clan vs. Clan activity; larger PvP matches to facilitate this would be fun.

I would rather have all of those before introducing any kind of RNG perk system.

And /if/ an RNG perk system would ever be introduced I'd never want it anything like in D1, but rather a new system based on mods.

I would have guns keep their 'identifying' perk as set; Better Devils should still always have Explosive Rounds and Origin Story should still always have Rampage. Scopes, Barrels and the second perk would become slots for new 'weapon mods' and thus able to be customized by the player by collecting mods separately.

The player would use mods they earned to customize a weapon they earned while still retaining the identity of a gun by keeping their signature perk intact.

Note that Bungie should clean up the current mod system for this to work (get rid of pointless Rare mods and perhaps updated inventory on top of that).

Sullichin

Just looked at the list of exotic weapons and armor (waiting for PC version) and they look so underwhelming compared to the fun stuff I was chasing in D1. Where's stuff like Last Word, Hawkmoon, or Ice Breaker? This is a bummer. Are there ::any:: exciting exotic perks?

Sane_Man

It is kinda sad in both definitions of the word that seeing a legendary engram pop out and drop in the loot cave was more exciting than any of the rewards I've received in D2.

Mods are the solution to make weapons more fun in pve. Weapons should have more mod slots. Maybe 1 to 3 depending on the weapon. Performance mods. Perk mods. Let's say you want to have an assault rifle specialized in killing cabal. You install the mod, kill 500 yellow centurions. You now have a cabal killer AR. Maybe the perks could be more creative like crit kills add "fear" debuff to nearby enemies lowering their rate of fire for a while.

Performance mods could improve the gun while adding a small penalty. Higher rate of fire, but less accuracy. Bigger magazine, but slower reload. More accuracy, but slower movement.
Maybe exotic mods with crazy perks. Turn your legendary into an exotic. Xur could sell tools to remove mods without destroying them. Maybe you're not happy with your cabal killer AR and want to place that mod in a hand cannon instead.

Disable mods in pvp and we're golden.

Mods need to have more depth.

I mean, I like the deeper mod approach too. It reminds me of what I liked about the Division. Maybe I'm recalling wrong, but I thought those weapons had somewhat static rolls and you used random drop items like barrels, grips, scopes, etc. to modify them and make them something special.

GlamFM

Banned
It is kinda sad in both definitions of the word that seeing a legendary engram pop out and drop in the loot cave was more exciting than any of the rewards I've received in D2.

Make it rare, make it hard to get - increase the perceived value. Easy.

I remember being excited when I saw an engram out in the wild.

void666

Banned
I mean, I like the deeper mod approach too. It reminds me of what I liked about the Division. Maybe I'm recalling wrong, but I thought those weapons had somewhat static rolls and you used random drop items like barrels, grips, scopes, etc. to modify them and make them something special.

Weapon attachments had random rolls. Weapons were static in part. They had random perks if i recall correctly.

It's not that easy at all, especially when the would-be rare items don't have anything special to offer. Have you ever got a legendary armor in Destiny 2 and thought it offered anything remotely different than anything else aside from its appearance? You can't spread shit out and hope it turns to gold. All that does is make the game more grindy and even less rewarding.

The drop rates are correct for the loot that there is, the problem is with the loot itself.

It's not that easy at all, especially when the would-be rare items don't have anything special to offer. Have you ever got a legendary armor in Destiny 2 and thought it offered anything remotely different than anything else aside from its appearance? You can't spread shit out and hope it turns to gold. All that does is make the game more grindy and even less rewarding.

The drop rates are correct for the loot that there is, the problem is with the loot itself.

Yeah

- Not enough of it

- Not enough variance/perks

- Not divided properly

GlamFM

Banned

Got to disagree here. I went into the VoG all blue. EVERY legendary was exciting for me.

Yeah, that's what sucks the most I guess in D2. Just nothing exciting. The gameplay is damn fun and great, it DOES keep me coming back. I just want the excitement of getting weapons and stuff on top of the great gameplay.

Lastnight while fooling around my one friend acquired 3 exotic drops (2 from iron banner, one from a public event) in a matter of an hour. Then I go to Shaxx and grab my powerful engram... exotic... i turn in 20 coins immediately after to Shaxx and get handed another exotic... like wtf? It's absolutely ABSURD how boring they've managed to make loot.

As others have pointed out, the "omg i finally got it" moments from d1 aren't there at all...And those were fun! We're what, a month into d2 and I do nothing but dismantle just about everything i get, exotics included, with nothing out there that I wish would drop.

The Division has a ridiculous amount of RNG. Several attachments per weapon type including different number of attachments within weapon type, every attachment has a numerical range it can roll in several categories that are also random rolled. The weapons themselves also have statistical ranges they can roll as well as perks that are randomly rolled.

The amount of worthless drops you get in The Division easily puts Destiny 2 to shame. The Division is also constantly in flux balance wise as all these variables never fail to cause unintended results which need to be fixed.

I liked The Division a lot. Still hold out hope they can make some changes that will make it fun to me again. But holy crap the amount of RNG makes the grind too much.

GlamFM

Banned
Yeah, that's what sucks the most I guess in D2. Just nothing exciting. The gameplay is damn fun and great, it DOES keep me coming back. I just want the excitement of getting weapons and stuff on top of the great gameplay.

Lastnight while fooling around my one friend acquired 3 exotic drops (2 from iron banner, one from a public event) in a matter of an hour. Then I go to Shaxx and grab my powerful engram... exotic... i turn in 20 coins immediately after to Shaxx and get handed another exotic... like wtf? It's absolutely ABSURD how boring they've managed to make loot.

As others have pointed out, the "omg i finally got it" moments from d1 aren't there at all...And those were fun! We're what, a month into d2 and I do nothing but dismantle just about everything i get, exotics included, with nothing out there that I wish would drop.

Yep. YouTube / Gjallarhorn reaction.

That´s what is missing.

Raven117

Gold Member

While those moments of actually getting that drop were awesome, some of those drops became almost a de facto barrier to LFG or some other high end activity. The posts of "Level 30 - Must have G-horn" Im sure gave Bungie fits because essentially RNG could lock you out of endgame content. (Not always, but you get the point).

Clearly, Bungie did not want this happening again, and has since not introduced guns that are based on RNG drops that fundamentally effect the way you play.

They haven't quite figured out how to introduce powerful PvE weapons (and come on, G-horn, Fatebringer, Black Hammer did not rule pvp...not even close actually) and balance that with people can get them through some work...

The exotic quests were a good start...but they seemed to have backed off of that for some reason. I thought that was a great solution.

While those moments of actually getting that drop were awesome, some of those drops became almost a de facto barrier to LFG or some other high end activity. The posts of "Level 30 - Must have G-horn" Im sure gave Bungie fits because essentially RNG could lock you out of endgame content. (Not always, but you get the point).

Clearly, Bungie did not want this happening again, and has since not introduced guns that are based on RNG drops that fundamentally effect the way you play.

They haven't quite figured out how to introduce powerful PvE weapons (and come on, G-horn, Fatebringer, Black Hammer did not rule pvp...not even close actually) and balance that with people can get them through some work...

The exotic quests were a good start...but they seemed to have backed off of that for some reason. I thought that was a great solution.

I am legit surprised at how many of the good ideas from end of life D1 weren't carried forward

They doubled down a little too hard on the whole reboot thing for the sequel

The Division has a ridiculous amount of RNG. Several attachments per weapon type including different number of attachments within weapon type, every attachment has a numerical range it can roll in several categories that are also random rolled. The weapons themselves also have statistical ranges they can roll as well as perks that are randomly rolled.

The amount of worthless drops you get in The Division easily puts Destiny 2 to shame. The Division is also constantly in flux balance wise as all these variables never fail to cause unintended results which need to be fixed.

I liked The Division a lot. Still hold out hope they can make some changes that will make it fun to me again. But holy crap the amount of RNG makes the grind too much.

Yeah, not saying exactly what Division offered is what I want (it was pretty overwhelming / confusing overall) but the mod system could be modified in a way to offer something similar. You get the static rolls on guns with some additional customization via mods.

And if Bungie disabled mods in pvp you could have a ton of fun with "Exotic" mods or something too and apply those to your favorite weapons. Instant reloads on precision kills, lol.

Raven117

Gold Member
I am legit surprised at how many of the good ideas from end of life D1 weren't carried forward

This is strange to me too. By the end of year 3...I thought there was a great balance of being able to pick up and play from a casual perspective and still log on everyday for something to chase for the hardcore.

But for a few random god-roll weapons to use in PvP...the rolls thing was not all THAT critical to the experience.

GlamFM

Banned

I´m sure there is a roadmap at Bungie HQ with a precise plan of how to spread this stuff out over the DLCs. I´m generally OK with the idea of opening up the game more over time, but that does not help the game in its current state.

Raven117

Gold Member
I´m sure there is a roadmap at Bungie HQ with a precise plan of how to spread this stuff out over the DLCs. I´m generally OK with the idea of opening up the game more over time, but that does not help the game in its current state.

True....While you never can "HOPE" too much with Bungie...I do expect a little more grind in the next DLC. As most of the players still around want that content...

SkylineRKR

I prefer vanilla D1. I was far more addicted to it. There was absolutely terrible stuff such as the material grinds and not getting anything from full Raid runs, and the open worlds and mission design were very bad. D2 has much better quest design. But that dries up as quests quicly become meaningless. Leveling up factions is easy but every dupe weapon you get is an exact copy. What I was doing in D2 endgame was grinding out public events.

D1 also included a far better PvP with separate playlists, selectable strikes, daily and weekly missions etc I also liked the modified strikes such as the Thorn one. Weeklies handed out strange coins which were better currency than legendary shards imo. I really didn't have a problem with them in Vanilla, they were the least of my issues between the currencies (planet mats, shards, glimmer). They should've been removed from NF, purple engrams etc (I think they eventually were).

Vanilla RNG was terrible, but the actual loot was good. Take the VoG loot for example, it was the most awesome loot. All bungie needed to do was remove the ascendant materials mechanic (which they eventually did), or give them as rewards on top of a raid gear roll. Not just shard drops only. The badly implemented RNG and loot tables (strange coins as NF reward, wut?) doesn't take away the fact that D1 exotics weapons and especially armor were far better. From TTK onward you're almost guaranteed to get everything, thats fine, but then you find out they've become sort of whatever in return.

RNG can be really fun, I am pretty sure that people who got Gjallarhorn out of nowhere enjoyed that far more than any Exotic they've gotten in D2.

But for a few random god-roll weapons to use in PvP...the rolls thing was not all THAT critical to the experience.

It wasn't, but D1 haters just keep clinging to that excuse for some reason. As if a shitty pvp player will all of a sudden be amazing with a "god roll" weapon. It's a very strange argument to me.

Grady

The drop rate in this game is way too high. Reminds me of division after they patched and fucked it up. My main problem with the game is that someone who only puts in 5 hrs a week is still as powerful as someone who puts in 25 hrs a week. That's a problem to me. I understand wanting to streamline the game and make it more accessible, but those who put the hours in should be able to reap some sort of benefit.

E92 M3

The drop rate in this game is way too high. Reminds me of division after they patched and fucked it up. My main problem with the game is that someone who only puts in 5 hrs a week is still as powerful as someone who puts in 25 hrs a week. That's a problem to me. I understand wanting to streamline the game and make it more accessible, but those who put the hours in should be able to reap some sort of benefit.

Too bad, deal with it. Bungie doesn't want Destiny to promote special snowflakes. This is a shooter first and loot comes second. And the funny thing is that I probably play more than you.

I am as hardcore as they come and love how Bungie set everything up.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Opposed to hoping for it to be in a bright engram or just buying it with real money? I don´t think so.

It´s a clear, but optional path towards something that will show how much effort you put into it.

My point from earlier stands:

I notice a pattern in this thread. The "hardcore" try to come up with ideas that work for EVERYBODY while the casual are straight up going "leave it like it is and fuck the hardcore".

Seems like there is nothing to gain from this thread.

There's nothing "hardcore" about bad game design.

And yes, hoping for an ornament to drop from a Bright Engram is better than the legitimately crazy grind you described. Come on now. I understand what you're getting at but that would be absolutely awful.

The answer here is simple and it's not "add more grinding" or "add more RNG" (in the form of bad game design, such as 10,000 different rolls on a weapon).

It's "add more loot." Seriously. Add more and cooler guns and armor sets that exclusively drop from specific activities: Strikes, Lost Sectors, Adventures. Perhaps tie them to higher difficulty levels for those activities as well.

jviggy43

Shotguns, swords, snipers and fusions are all useful in the raid. I run shotgun at Baths, sword for Dogs and sniper at Calus. Fusion for everything else

Thats fine but youre handicapping yourself. If youre trying to have the best loadout its rockets > all. Sniper is a terrible choice for calus btw.

Maybe the games current state is entirely intentional with more hardcore elements being added over time just like in D1

I mean think about it... They know they are gonna lose a chunk of the casual audience no matter what over time

My guess is that Vanilla D2 was intentionally made to be a satisfying casual one and done experience completely on purpose and they will slowly swing the pendulum to dedicated players with each expansion as... presumably thats the populance that will most likely be buying in for the long haul content

We will see

The trajectory and content in this upcoming expansion will tell us where they plan on going

Too bad, deal with it. Bungie doesn't want Destiny to promote special snowflakes. This is a shooter first and loot comes second. And the funny thing is that I probably play more than you.

What the hell is wrong with you man? That's probably one of the worst ways to approach somebody with a different point of view.

"Deal with it" and "too bad" is such a shitty way to discuss things that it's probably better off just not being posted. This is a subjective discussion. If your response boils down to "deal with it," then you're not even really participating in a back and forth conversation.

Raven117

Gold Member
It wasn't, but D1 haters just keep clinging to that excuse for some reason. As if a shitty pvp player will all of a sudden be amazing with a "god roll" weapon. It's a very strange argument to me.

Same...some revisionist history going on here. Some weapons were indeed better than others for sure and in the ultra-competitive world it mattered....But for the average playlist...It wasn't all that critical.

Jeremy

I also think they're going to reintroduce elements to the game over time and this was an attempt at a reboot and putting everyone on the same starting ground but sheesh it's a drag.

E92 M3

What the hell is wrong with you man? That's probably one of the worst ways to approach somebody with a different point of view.

"Deal with it" and "too bad" is such a shitty way to discuss things that it's probably better off just not being posted. This is a subjective discussion. If your response boils down to "deal with it," then you're not even really participating in a back and forth conversation.

I've stated my thoughts a million times. DESTINY 2 will not become a grind-fest, nor do I want it to be.

So yeah, everyone has to deal with it or play another game. What's the point of sugar coating it anymore?

GlamFM

Banned

And some people want something different and also expected something different. And that´s OK. That´s what we are discussing here.

What happened with you? I don´t remember ever engaging with you, but I do remember you always being around since D1.

I´ve notice you becoming an increasingly hostile crusader for your personal opinion over the last few days and trying to shut down every discussion.

Be cool.

everyer

I don't care about RNG.... now...

I just want to use AR/Sniper/Rocket or SR/Shotgun/Blade or PR/Fusion/Machine Gun at the same time!!!!!

I enjoy playing strikes in D1 because there is no limitation for me to choose my weapons and I feel soooo good to fire.

But now, the shooting (which is the most amazing part of Destiny) is soooo boring!

The only 1 heavy slot made me say goodbye to most of the fun guns type I used to use.

Your balance on PVP ruined PVE experience!

E92 M3

And some people want something different and also expected something different. And that´s OK. That´s what we are discussing here.

What happened with you? I don´t remember ever engaging with you, but I do remember you always being around since D1.

I´ve notice you becoming an increasingly hostile crusader for your personal opinion over the last few days and trying to shut down every discussion.

Be cool.

I've played Destiny like a madman since the beta for D1, and I am fighting for the people that actually like how D2 is. The D1 grind was HORRIBLE - and I had everything except a god-rolled luna. D2 is a substantially better game than D1 and we just need more loot and to separate PVE and PVP.

That's it.

Also, how am I hostile?! People can have their own conversations, but I will always put in my 2 rubles.

I've stated my thoughts a million times. DESTINY 2 will not become a grind-fest, nor do I want it to be.

So yeah, everyone has to deal with it or play another game. What's the point of sugar coating it anymore?

It doesnt need to become a grindfest for them to address some its depth issues

There have been mountains of great suggestions and they have precedent set by excellent previous expansions on D1

I personally thought everything from House of Wolves and beyond was an iterative success story

So I havent lost faith that D2 can achieve similar heights

Raven117

Gold Member

There have been mountains of great suggestions and they have precedent set by excellent previous expansions on D1

I personally thought everything from House of Wolves and beyond was an iterative success story

I think it will. Everyone is just hard on it right now, but it will improve. Its a good thing that people still talk about the game and want reasons to play it.

GlamFM

Banned
I've played Destiny like a madman since the beta for D1, and I am fighting for the people that actually like how D2 is. The D1 grind was HORRIBLE - and I had everything except a god-rolled luna. D2 is a substantially better game than D1 and we just need more loot and to separate PVE and PVP.

That's it.

Also, how am I hostile?! People can have their own conversations, but I will always put in my 2 rubles.

This is a thread for people who don´t like D2 in it´s current state. Maybe this thread is not for you?

We´re discussing what we want out of the game here and being called "special snowflake" is not helpful.

It is weird how fast D2 has come crashing down for me, even in D1 I felt like there was always something I could be doing and way more content than I had time to play, even for every xpac. In D2 after 3 weeks I don't even feel like logging in anymore, slayerage sums it up extremely succinctly - if I play, it just feels like I am making a mess of my inventory and the only thing to do is clean it up.

Thats not a game, thats fucking housekeeping.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think that instead of Ikora's "meditations," they should just add a playlist of all the story missions with a harder difficulty. With matchmaking so you can always play with three other people if you want.

Let Ikora's tokens drop from that instead. And on top of that, throw in specific loot that only drops at the end of these "prestige" story missions.

E92 M3

As long as I am handsomely rewarded for every hour of play, I'm happy.

This is a thread for people who don´t like D2 in it´s current state. Maybe this thread is not for you?

We´re discussing what we want out of the game here and being called "special snowflake" is not helpful.

So, now people with opposing opinions can't participate?

Yep. I'm in the same boat.

It feels like D2 respects my time and the effort I put in.

You're more than welcome to participate in discussion.

"Just deal with it" and "too bad" is not promoting discussion. It comes off as shutting down the opinions of others simply because you are happy that they catered to your personal preference.

GlamFM

Banned
As long as I am handsomely rewarded for every hour of play, I'm happy.

Sure they can, but as long as your contribution does not go further than "Deal with it, special snowflake" you´re not really needed here.

I think that instead of Ikora's "meditations," they should just add a playlist of all the story missions with a harder difficulty. With matchmaking so you can always play with three other people if you want.

Let Ikora's tokens drop from that instead. And on top of that, throw in specific loot that only drops at the end of these "prestige" story missions.

Each piece of content needs a driver

Now I know Ikora packages do have a few "exclusives" but there is just so much crossover with other sources

The need more loot, more perks, more variance, and more personality to the guns. Then they need to lock them down to specific experiences and encourage us to go find them

Either with bounties, milestones, quests, whatever

They did a good job for the most part with Vanilla D2 but they can and have done better than this

After Taken King and RoI I am expecting just a LITTLE bit more here

Bizazedo

That's it.

To be fair, E92, you've always gotten somewhat hostile when people talked about changes to things you like back in D1. You even took a similar tangent in your arguments, too. "Bungie will never do this!"

You acted this way specifically about nerfs in D1. And the nerfs came.

Separately, the thread is reasonably about the lack of a need to play after a certain point and how that point comes far quicker than in Destiny 1. When you boil it down, that's what it is. Unless you're as fixated as GraverobberX in making the accumulated stuff in your inventory rise higher (and in fairness to him, that can be fun, although I imagine he's enraged by the anti farm code they seem to use), you "finish" D2 far quicker than D1....and some people don't like that.

Top Bottom