• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dreamcast emulator was released for Android devices - Reicast

Seik

Banned
Just tried my Sonic Adventure rip with my Nexus 7 2013.

I'm very impressed by how good the performance is, everything is pretty much tight with the exception of a few graphical bugs.

Also, the emulator detected my DS3 controller automatically, assigned the buttons pretty much as expected, except that the Start button is on L1, but that's no biggie imo.

Played Sonic's story and just finished Windy Valley so far. Good stuff, I'll try more games as of tomorrow since I'll be on Winter break!

EDIT: I just bought that Nexus 7, yet I want a Shield now because emulators kill the battery and I can't keep it on charge since a controller is plugged in. :(

Seeing the Third Strike attract sequence on my tablet was a beautiful thing. Sadly the sprites are a bit janky at present but for an early release this is very promising - runs very smoothly indeed, the audio seems spot on and I'm pretty sure I should be able to use the cable I use with my DualShock 3 for emulators to get my Qanba recognised with it.
Errr, why on earth would you play that non-arcade perfect DCport of a version that nobody plays when the cps3 990512 Rom has been running for quite sometime on Android?

(That being said, I don't own the DC port, but I do own the cpsIII ver.)

Will this run ok on my first gen Nexus 7? I doubt it, but it'd be great to play some portable DC games. I never got to play DC when it came so this is perfect for me because I have an android controller. I'd play it on my laptop but I have no controller for it.

Yasawas

Errr, why on earth would you play that non-arcade perfect DCport of a version that nobody plays when the cps3 990512 Rom has been running for quite sometime on Android?

(That being said, I don't own the DC port, but I do own the cpsIII ver.)

Eh? Because I just wanted to see how well the emulator worked, I have no desire or need to actually play the thing on a portable device when there are plenty of better ways to do it.

Motwera

Banned
Will this run ok on my first gen Nexus 7? I doubt it, but it'd be great to play some portable DC games. I never got to play DC when it came so this is perfect for me because I have an android controller. I'd play it on my laptop but I have no controller for it.
Yes, it will (tf300t has similar specs but 10 inch)

Is there a guide or something on how to get your legal dreamcast games on your android device, like what programs you use and where to put the files, etc?

Is there a guide or something on how to get your legal dreamcast games on your android device, like what programs you use and where to put the files, etc?

I'm not really sure but since PCs can't read GD-ROM discs you'll still need a working Dreamcast and that Broadband Adapter accessory to dump your legally obtained games over FTP.

Danj

I'm not really sure but since PCs can't read GD-ROM discs you'll still need a working Dreamcast and that Broadband Adapter accessory to dump your legally obtained games over FTP.

Are there third party clones yet? Like how there are random companies putting out rejigged NES and Megadrive systems. Or is it too early for that?

Every time I start the program it always asks me to enter the time and date. Is there a way to fix this so that I only enter it once at boot?

Guys.

This works perfectly with the Nvidia Shield controller. I'm using a controller to play this and it's working with PSO. Here's a screenshot.

ie2bPeVQD3asd.png

Red hot. Best sales pitch for a Shield yet.

Does anyone know how to hide the on-screen controller? This thing works fantastic on my shield but the overlay is annoying.

Best reason to own a shield. My collection is right around 170-180 dreamcast titles total but I rarely find myself playing them due to them being hooked up on my spare bedroom TV.

I've put in a couple hours on MSR last night. Made me sad for PGR's grave marker all over again.

Benedict

Works fantastic on my Ouya. And people were shitting on the Ouya haha.

Can't wait for the store version.

What controller are you using?
Have the games on external storage?
Whst games have you tried?
Multiplayer online?
Will try out asap...

Got Shenmue working on my HTC One.

DSC00965.jpg

The game is full of graphical glitches though as mentioned by other users.

Things that stop the game from working on my phone is:

Letting the screen timeout and multitasking will make the game close.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Other than that, it runs smooth and there must be some AA used because it is fairly clean.

Looking forward to the new updates!

Codiox

Is the shield currently the best option for a retro emulator handheld?i heard that the dolphin emulator does not run on the shield.

sajj316

level44

What controller are you using?
Have the games on external storage?
Whst games have you tried?
Multiplayer online?
Will try out asap...

Using the DS3 with natively pairs and all the buttons work.
All my Dreamcast games are on my 64GB USB stick plugged in to the Ouya.
Sonic Adventure is awesome, so is Crazy Taxi and Power Stone. I need to try more though.
It doesn't have on lie multiplayer because it's still in alpha.

pushBAK

Running on a Galaxy Note 3, Sonic Adventure 2 running at perfect 60fps. Can't save games yet and I get some bad graphics glitches every now and then. If I get a call or the phone goes to sleep I lose my progress. Still has a ways to go, but overall this is a phenomenal emulator. My Moga Hero is working just fine as a native controller via bluetooth.

Just youtubed "reicast marvel", it's full speed on JXD S7800b, Galaxy S2 (if I recognized the phone right) and Nvidia Shield, sprites are glitchy/flickering though.

As for CvS2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-1j443NDIs
(It should run better, speed-wise on the Shield)

that video made me have a nerd gasm. totally going to invest in portable gaming for my Nexus 5/7. now to figure out a way to hook up my mad catz arcade stick (ps3) and make it work :D

Bio-Frost

Running on a Galaxy Note 3, Sonic Adventure 2 running at perfect 60fps. Can't save games yet and I get some bad graphics glitches every now and then. If I get a call or the phone goes to sleep I lose my progress. Still has a ways to go, but overall this is a phenomenal emulator. My Moga Hero is working just fine as a native controller via bluetooth.

Launch the bios and format the memory card then you will be able to save.

that video made me have a nerd gasm. totally going to invest in portable gaming for my Nexus 5/7. now to figure out a way to hook up my mad catz arcade stick (ps3) and make it work :D
Get a 2$ USB OTG cable (got mine on amazon)
(Not sure if your stick is supported, but it should, or the reicast team could add support easily)

Or go the hard way like I did, root for dualshock3 Bluetooth support (works without root on some xperia devices), mod a tekken6 stick with a dualshock3, voila, wireless arcade setup to go :D

Forgot to mention I tweeted the team in charge of reicast about Sega Naomi support, and they told me it's a planned feature, but there's a lot of other stuff to fix and implement before that.
(Also by then that will mean Atomiswave support too)

lol, which part?
I mean it's almost like saying SFAlpha2 is slow on bsnes for Android when you could play the arcade version just fine.

Arkanius

Got Shenmue working on my HTC One.

DSC00965.jpg

The game is full of graphical glitches though as mentioned by other users.

Things that stop the game from working on my phone is:

Letting the screen timeout and multitasking will make the game close.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Other than that, it runs smooth and there must be some AA used because it is fairly clean.

Looking forward to the new updates!

1080p resolution on a 4.8 inch screen is free AA.
That's why when we get 4K in our computer monitors (24inches and such) we will have no need for AA.

Drillow

I have found that there is a hidden option to force Widescreen if you modify the file sdcard/dc/emu.cfg and set the parameter rend.WideScreen=1 .
screenshot_2014-01-06iduyd.png

callous

Tablet choice help needed!

I'm just about to hit the 'buy' button on a tablet. I have 2 choices that are nearly identical apart from CPU/GPU.

Does Reicast even consider the GPU? because if not, I will get a dual core A9@1.6ghz with Mali MP4 (MTK3066) instead of the quad A7@1.2ghz (A31s). This even though I really want the A31s for the SGX544 and double the SD write speed.

But Dreamcast emulation on the go takes precedence!

Anyone know?

P.S. There is actually a third option of a 4:3 tablet that would suit classic games including Dreamcast better, but the CPU is an A7 dual@1.3ghz with a Mali MP2.

So, Android's Dreamcast emulator is going to be better than the PC Dreamcast emulators very soon?

Not sure if this makes me happy or sad, but most likely the prior.

I had to go dig around Ebay for another Dreamcast just to get my Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 fix.

Tablet choice help needed!

I'm just about to hit the 'buy' button on a tablet. I have 2 choices that are nearly identical apart from CPU/GPU.

Does Reicast even consider the GPU? because if not, I will get a dual core A9@1.6ghz with Mali MP4 (MTK3066) instead of the quad A7@1.2ghz (A31s). This even though I really want the A31s for the SGX544 and double the SD write speed.

But Dreamcast emulation on the go takes precedence!

Anyone know?

I'd say check youtube for reicast videos, check the components of the phones/tables Dunning reicast in chose videos.
I only have first hand experience with my galaxy note II overclocked at 4x1.8Ghz (the JXD7800b is like the stock galaxy note II(4x1.6Ghz A9 arm cortex, mali400cpu, 2Gb of ram)).

Nexus5, galaxy note3, xperia z1 ultra and the shield are WAY beyond that, not sure what your mileage would be on the tablets you mentioned

CorvoSol

This might sound like a sort of dumb question, but uh, where are the game files supposed to go? Right now I have them in the dc folder, but when I try to load them from there it just exits out.

Top Bottom