• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few comments from retail... What's going on?

Some of this may be old news, but some is new to me, so I thought I'd pass it on... Feel free to make some comments as well. This is based on various conversations I and a few others have had at various retailers.

1) Xbox HW is essentially gone. 10 EB's & Gamestops around haven't received HW for over 2 months. Big box retailers still have some, but reportedly haven't gotten any new shipments either. Used Xbox's are selling quite well.

2)GC HW is actually still being recieved, albiet only 4 or so units at a time. Presumably ony what's left in the warehouses based on Nintendo's comments and the puny shipments over the past 2 years. Used GC's aren't moving

3) PSP Value packs have reportedly been discontinued. No shipments in over 2 months. Only the core system, but stores tell me that customers would prefer a value pack. This was repeated at multiple stores. PSP is in a pretty major slowdown with SW sales being particularly weak.

4) DS Lite exploded on retail. Unfortunately, after large shipments for launch, only a handful made it in the second shipments, with 3rd shipments coming this week. NSMB, Brain Age, and Brain Academy are hot hot hot. There are a shitton of used old DS' on the market now, after $70 was offered on tradeins towards the DSLite. Expect the DS to outsell the PSP 3 or 4 to 1 this month.

5) 360's are moving briskly, but SW sales seem to be at a low ebb, with no major new releases. Moto GP is moving well, better than past Moto GP's

6) PS3 software preorders are relatively high as folks seem to be fooled by the big "Preorder the PS3!!!!
games
signs at EB & Gamestop. Orders are spread across alot of titles, with none being far and away the lead.

7) Madden 360 preorders are eeking out PS2 preorders, which is encouraging for 360 sales, but PS2 sales are expected to be 2-3 times higher at launch.

8) GTA Liberty City Stories is selling decently, but most stores have tons of copies from the initial shipment. Nowhere near what most stores expected, even with tempered (slightly low) expectations.

9) Other than DS SW, nothing is moving that well. And not much is expected until NCAA 07 on July 18th and then Madden a month later. It's a bleak, bleak, bleak summer.

10) Saints Row preorders are low relative to other mid-level 360 games to this point, but it's still early and a decent demo could help.

Calidor

sonycowboy said:
4) DS Lite exploded on retail. Unfortunately, after large shipments for launch, only a handful made it in the second shipments, with 3rd shipments coming this week. NSMB, Brain Age, and Brain Academy are hot hot hot. There are a shitton of used old DS' on the market now, after $70 was offered on tradeins towards the DSLite. Expect the DS to outsell the PSP 3 or 4 to 1 this month.

9) Other than DS SW, nothing is moving that well.

It begins

Speevy said:
Moto GP over 100K, 360 sales at 190K.

Nowhere near that well (I don't think that well anyway)

LTD Sales for Moto GP on Xbox
------------------------------------------
MOTO GP 2 Moto GP (THQ) THQ May-03 58,655
MOTO GP Moto GP (THQ) THQ May-02 56,597
MOTOGP 3: ULT RACING TECH Moto GP (THQ) THQ Sep-05 45,698

Speevy

Banned
I think all 360 software benefits from the fact that there is almost NOTHING to play this Summer. LOTRBFME2 comes out July 5, so I'm interested to see how that will do. RTS is never a genre that's been tested on an Xbox platform.

sonycowboy said:
Expect the DS to outsell the PSP 3 or 4 to 1 this month.
That seems really high to me, I expect it to outsell PSP handily this month, but 3-4x?

8) GTA Liberty City Stories is selling decently, but most stores have tons of copies from the initial shipment. Nowhere near what most stores expected, even with tempered (slightly low) expectations.
That's kind of surprising given it debuted at #1 on the charts. Even lowered expectations for a GTA game must be pretty huge. Honestly, my expectations were much lower, I definitely expected it to chart and have long legs, but I didn't expect #1.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
sonycowboy said:
9) Other than DS SW, nothing is moving that well. And not much is expected until NCAA 07 on July 18th and then Madden a month later. It's a bleak, bleak, bleak summer.
What about third party DS software? :p

Sonycowboy rocks hard.

Any news of that DS sucess spilling over to non-Nintendo published titles? Are we going to see better then mediocore sales of 3rd party stuff when the numbers finally break?

DMczaf

Only 1 man can save us

john-madden.jpg

Tiktaalik

sonycowboy said:

God damn you developers, people buy games at other times other than Christmas!!!

I want some company to release a huge title in June some day that'll sell massive just so the industry can get out of this funk of holding all their releases for 3 months. There are summer blockbuster movies, how about summer blockbuster games?!

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Remo said:
That's kind of surprising given it debuted at #1 on the charts. Even lowered expectations for a GTA game must be pretty huge. Honestly, my expectations were much lower, I definitely expected it to chart and have long legs, but I didn't expect #1.

the PS2 version debuted at #1?

terrene

Banned
I'm okay with a slow summer. Starting in September, the market is going to be lousy with must-play games, and to tide me over til then I have a backlog a mile long.

Tiktaalik

Speevy said:
They should drop the used Xbox to $50 already. There is a MOUNTAIN of used Xbox games at my Gamestop.

Yeah somehow my EB has more space in their store devoted to used Xbox games than anything else. They're just piling up. The prices are super low too.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Speevy said:
They should drop the used Xbox to $50 already. There is a MOUNTAIN of used Xbox games at my Gamestop.

The key to moving Xbox software (especially budget priced stuff) is to improve BC on X360, not by further discounting used Xbox (which is already in pretty high demand) or continuing production of Xbox hardware/

HyperZone<3 said:
Any news of that DS sucess spilling over to non-Nintendo published titles? Are we going to see better then mediocore sales of 3rd party stuff when the numbers finally break?

Is anything decent out lately that I've forgotten? All my DS software was either early and/or rare (PW, Trauma Center, Castlevania, etc.) or Nintendo-published. I'm not really expecting to pick up more 3rd party software until some of the heavy hitters like FF3, TotT, and Castlevania (again) come out.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Zaxxon said:
God damn you developers, people buy games at other times other than Christmas!!!

I want some company to release a huge title in June some day that'll sell massive just so the industry can get out of this funk of holding all their releases for 3 months. There are summer blockbuster movies, how about summer blockbuster games?!
For real, with the regular TV season season over I have a lot more time for games. At least I picked up a few cheap GBA games this week to keep me busy.

speedpop said:
The downfall of GTA has begun!

Repent your sins now!
I was talking with my brother last week and asked him if he rented GTA: LCS yet (he usually only rents games) and he said he hadn't since he thought it was an old GTA game since it was so cheap to buy and he remembered GTA III taking place in Liberty City. It wouldn't surprise me if many casual gamers think the same way.

sonycowboy said:
Some of this may be old news, but some is new to me, so I thought I'd pass it on... Feel free to make some comments as well. This is based on various conversations I and a few others have had at various retailers.

1) Xbox HW is essentially gone. 10 EB's & Gamestops around haven't received HW for over 2 months. Big box retailers still have some, but reportedly haven't gotten any new shipments either. Used Xbox's are selling quite well.

----> INCORRECT. BB HAS A LARGE AMOUNT OF PREMIUMS AND CORES STILL READILY AVAILABLE.

2)GC HW is actually still being recieved, albiet only 4 or so units at a time. Presumably ony what's left in the warehouses based on Nintendo's comments and the puny shipments over the past 2 years. Used GC's aren't moving

---> CORRECT. BUT LOWER IN STOCK THAN AVERAGE.

3) PSP Value packs have reportedly been discontinued. No shipments in over 2 months. Only the core system, but stores tell me that customers would prefer a value pack. This was repeated at multiple stores. PSP is in a pretty major slowdown with SW sales being particularly weak.

---> CORRECT. SONY HAS COMPLETELY DISCONTINUED THE VALUE PACK IN FAVOR OF THE CORE.

---> BEST BUY IS RECEIVING DS LITES ON A REGULAR BASIS. NSMB IS EXTREMELY HOT AND BRAIN GAMES ARE HOT.

5) 360's are moving briskly, but SW sales seem to be at a low ebb, with no major new releases. Moto GP is moving well, better than past Moto GP's

---> 360 SOFTWARE IS STILL SELLING AT A GOOD PACE.

6) PS3 software preorders are relatively high as folks seem to be fooled by the big "Preorder the PS3!!!!
games
signs at EB & Gamestop. Orders are spread across alot of titles, with none being far and away the lead.

---> NO PS3 PREORDERS AT BEST BUY YET.

7) Madden 360 preorders are eeking out PS2 preorders, which is encouraging for 360 sales, but PS2 sales are expected to be 2-3 times higher at launch.

---> NO COMMENT AVAILABLE HERE.

---> LCS IS POPULAR AT BEST BUY, NOT SELLING OUT BUT SELLING VERY WELL.

---> PS2 / PSP / X360 / NDS SOFTWARE IS STILL POPULAR RIGHT NOW BUT NO MAJOR RELEASES HAVE GIVEN RETAILERS LITTLE CHOICE BUT TO MOVE MANY POPULAR PAST TITLES TO CLEARANCE. DS SOFTWARE CONTINUES TO SELL WELL.

10) Saints Row preorders are low relative to other mid-level 360 games to this point, but it's still early and a decent demo could help.

---> NO COMMENT AVAILABLE.

That's my insight on the situation right now. :)

Link316

Banned
sonycowboy said:
3) PSP Value packs have reportedly been discontinued. No shipments in over 2 months.

Sony's usually preparing a new SKU when they clear the channel like this, I'm expecting a $249 Giga Pack or some new bundle to take the Value Pack's place

AdmiralViscen said:
When did MS come out with Premium and Core XBoxes?

Whoops, need reading comprehension here.

Correction: NO XBOX HW AVAILABLE IN ANY BEST BUY STORE. COMPANY-WIDE MEMO WAS TO GET RID OF IT, SYSTEM HAS MOVED TO CLEARANCE.

----> INCORRECT. BB HAS A LARGE AMOUNT OF PREMIUMS AND CORES STILL READILY AVAILABLE.
Get it straight, McFly - he's talking about the Xbox and I don't recall the Xbox having a premium or core version.

edit: see what happens you multitask? you end up late.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mrbob said:
QFT.

I now expect the 360 to sell about 140,000 hardware units in June.

That's waaaaay lowball. Has the PS2 ever even fell below the 200k threshold?

If it drops below 200, that's a "yuge, jerry, yuge" problem for MS.

Speevy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:

The Xbox sold less than 200K for most of its life. Kinda why it didn't beat the PS2.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Speevy said:
The Xbox sold less than 200K for most of its life. Kinda why it didn't beat the PS2.

The key part is that it was against the PS2. Now the 360 is unopposed (although not really), it should be selling better even in the summer months.

Speevy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
The key part is that it was against the PS2. Now the 360 is unopposed (although not really), it should be selling better even in the summer months.

2 games, one of which is Moto GP, unmotivated consumers during the Summer months, May's number was 220K, it's not hard to imagine it dropping below. I'm just preparing you for the *SHOCK*.

Of course, it could just inexplicably go up to 250K.

Striek

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Eh, its not going to be that low. Every single June the Xbox has done significantly better than it did in May.

In fact, the entirety of last-gen all systems done better in June than May every year.

(as Mrbob says below its 4week vs. 5week)

Benchmark should be ~250k for the X360, IMO.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

its like when you were in high school and you didnt study for a test so you told yourself you were going to get an F even though you knew the material and then you were super-stoked with your B+

Mrbob

PS2 only dipped under 200K sold 3 times total. Amazing. If the PS3 can keep up the same price, while being priced much higher, that would be a total shock.

Speevy said:
2 games, one of which is Moto GP, unmotivated consumers during the Summer months, May's number was 220K, it's not hard to imagine it dropping below. I'm just preparing you for the *SHOCK*.

Of course, it could just inexplicably go up to 250K.

June is a 5 week tracking month while May is only 4. X360 should be able to surpass May numbers in June.

I think the biggest problem is that we have to compare the X360 against budget sales of PS2, PSP, GCN and NDS consoles and handhelds.

The X360 price point is still too high for the mainstream to pick it up and to compare it to the same point in the PS2's lifespan at the same price point, the PS2 went unopposed against the DC (2 competitors) and GBA handheld.

There's more on the market now which will likely lead to more spread all around.

wreckml

sonycowboy said:

I work at Best Buy so I'l throw in my experiences here:

1) In our Employee Toolkit it said Microsoft wanted to phase out the original Xbox by the fall.

2) I wouldn't know about GC hardware shipments because we still have some in the warehouse so we havent needed anymore recently.

3) We should be getting our second shipment of DS Lites in tonight actually. I don't know how this compares to other stores but...

5) We have a pyramid of 360's stacked in our videogames section, all Pro's. (We only get 1 or 2 in per shipment, sometimes none.) We aren't selling them 'briskly' as we even have more in the back. I guess other stores are selling faster...

8) Definitley. We have over 100 copies of LCS in the warehouse. They have been selling decently but I wouldnt be surprised if we had to send some back soon.

Zaxxon said:

Nintendo has proven to be quite successful releasing high profile product during the summer months. The rest of the industry shrugs it off as something only Nintendo can get away with. I disagree of course but that'll never convince them to change.

Mr_Furious said:
Nintendo has proven to be quite successful releasing high profile product during the summer months. The rest of the industry shrugs it off as something only Nintendo can get away with. I disagree of course but that'll never convince them to change.
Blizzard does it too. Doom 3 also saw good sales in the tail end of summer. It's ridiculous that more publishers don't take advantage of the lull.

Top Bottom